I slightly regret marrying Azura x Takumi...

Nihilon

I mean, gameplay-wise, I am perfectly happy. Azura makes a wonderful Sniper and once I've ground a few Bow ranks for her, she'll probably be nearly as deadly as Takumi.

However, their S-rank support... Wow. I don't claim to have seen all support conversations in the game yet, but this must easily rank among the very worst. Their C through A-rank were fine, but once they get to the S-rank, they've suddenly always loved each other and were just hiding their feelings.

It's jarring how wildly the writing quality of the supports varies, especially because I was doing Mozu x Laslow at the same time, which was plausible and freaking adorable throughout.

I mean, gameplay-wise, I am perfectly happy. Azura makes a wonderful Sniper and once I've ground a few Bow ranks for her, she'll probably be nearly as deadly as Takumi.

However, their S-rank support... Wow. I don't claim to have seen all support conversations in the game yet, but this must easily rank among the very worst. Their C through A-rank were fine, but once they get to the S-rank, they've suddenly always loved each other and were just hiding their feelings.

It's jarring how wildly the writing quality of the supports varies, especially because I was doing Mozu x Laslow at the same time, which was plausible and freaking adorable throughout.

It's like that with Ryoma too, and Corrin does it with every sibling. The support is all about them growing closer together as a family and then bam, time to make baby.

It's like that with Ryoma too, and Corrin does it with every sibling. The support is all about them growing closer together as a family and then bam, time to make baby.

The other reason why it was better in awakening: since kids came from the future, outside of Chrom and his wife, parents became parents after an unspecific amount of time of being a couple. The kids coulda've been born between valm's invasion, and the end of the ylisse/plegia war, or after the valm invasion, and some time before grima's resurrection. Both possibilities are plausible, and no one actually has to rush into marriage in their supports aside from the story making Chrom rush into it.

In fates, everyone is in a rush to have kids when you think of the time constraints within each route, the fact that there's one major conflict with no major implied time gaps between events, and how borderline instantaneously the kids warp into existence as a result. This is why marriage for many feels so forced and sudden (along with bad writing/trying to make incompatible people have a reason to get together. Sadly not every support could feel as organic as mRobin + Panne, or mMorgan + Nah, or even fCorrin + Kaze)

As for the actual poor writing of the supports, they only have 4 shots at making the player buy two people as a couple. Dwyer + Velouria is an example of it done right. Jakob + Oboro is an example of it done oh so wrong.

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

Yeah, but Mozu is the best. (I haven't made Mozu x Laslow, but Xander/Kaze/Kaden were adorable as well.)

I haven't seen any really bad support from her so far

S Ranks tends to be stupid generally. Some just are worse than others.

And then it's just worse when you marry your Avatar since their lovers sentence can be... quite grating.

I always ends up hating the units I marry, and thinking about divorcing the Nohrian way.

Then there's thing like Effie. Effie x Arthur is great for both of them (Effie XElise too, but it doesn't really counts.), but most of the others have Effie as Female Hulk.

And we have the miracle that is Beruka x Niles C Rank (B Rank and above are good though)

A lot of support chains are lovely in the C-A. The S is what makes it weird.

I would've liked it if the sibs just straight up don't marry Corn and Azura considering how lack of care this entire thing is handled, but from mechanical perspective, it'd also be cool if the sibs could A+ them without gender restrictions (or corn barriers), and also with each other. If Takumi could A+ Azura or Hinoka, it'd certainly make him getting Darting Blow way less of a pain.

Yeah, but Mozu is the best. (I haven't made Mozu x Laslow, but Xander/Kaze/Kaden were adorable as well.)

I haven't seen any really bad support from her so far

I married Mozu and Saizo in my Birthright run, and I think I started shipping them from the B support. I dunno why, but it was really well written, plausible and just adorable. :) In my Conquest run, I paired up Mozu and Niles... I don't really remember their support conversation that much.

I just assume there were like 20 other conversations made in between the A and S ranks supports so those C-A convos were like three months ago at worst but that's more a headcanon.

While some characters have S supports I can believe, the only one that sticks out for me is the one of Peri and Laslow or most of Laslows. Saizo also has pretty good S supports convos as well with his supports with Mozu being a good example.

I just assume there were like 20 other conversations made in between the A and S ranks supports so those C-A convos were like three months ago at worst but that's more a headcanon.

Same, I think you have to do this with most of the first gen A-C ranks!

At this point I take the S-rank separately and tend to judge on that alone, especially as Corrin's supports are mostly generic and the same for both Lady/Lord Corrin.

I actually think Azura/Takumi is one of his better supports; they're warming up to each other in the B-rank, and the whole support in general gives some nice insights into his character. Takumi/Camilla and Takumi/Orochi I find horrid, those two to me are examples of zero chemistry.

Yeah, I love Azura's (and Corrin's) C-A chains with their siblings, but as soon as you bring S-supports into it I just back down. It's just...no. Especially in Azura's case, her C-A's with Ryoma and Takumi are all about them growing closer as brother and sister and they're really nice and sweet, and then bam it's suddenly "haha no joking I always wanted to bang you". The only ones even coming close to it in creepiness are Corrin/Camilla and Corrin/Elise.

The JPN versions were even worse--Azura says in her S-support with Takumi he'll always be her little brother, he confesses, and she decides "whelp, I'm never getting anything better", and Camilla practically pressures Corrin into marrying her when he's clearly uncomfortable with it.

And we have the miracle that is Beruka x Niles C Rank (B Rank and above are good though)

I think you meant Beruka x Saizo C rank?

Also you guys think that's bad, you should see Gunter and Corrin's S support, where he's a father figure to her and over 30 years her senior, and it turns out he wanted to tap dat ass all along. He doesn't even mention his dead wife or kid, you have to play a different route to find that out (and of course, he can't support there).

Edited by Dark Sage

I've been trying different supports in my revelations playthrough, and the difference in quality is kind of shocking. Unsurprisingly, the ones that seem to fit better character-wise tend to end up being better written, and it makes me wonder why the S-ranks weren't more limited in the first place.

Hana/Hinata was pretty good, and Kaze/Mozu is one of the best support chains I've seen so far. The S rank felt completely natural. Selena/Subaki is also really good, but I'm sure that's because extra effort was put in.

Sakura/Silas on the other hand was incredibly weak. The C-A weren't that bad, just revolving around a mediocre joke, but the S came completely out of nowhere. Definitely the strangest I've seen so far.

Edited by EJ107

I actually really like the Takumi x Azura supports, S rank included. I think its cute how Azura comforts Takumi over his nightmare. Also in his recruitment Azura compliments Takumi which causes him to blush so that made me think something was already there.

The problem lies more with the ''I always loved you part'' that the siblings always use on Corrin too. I find it off putting that people are apparently waiting for an excuse to jump on their brother/sister.

Its lesser in this pairing because Takumi makes it clear Azure isn't his sister and while they do adress her as such the Norian and Hoshidan siblings alike don't adress Azura as a sibling as much as they do Corrin.

I actually really like the Takumi x Azura supports, S rank included. I think its cute how Azura comforts Takumi over his nightmare. Also in his recruitment Azura compliments Takumi which causes him to blush so that made me think something was already there.

I figured he was blushing because he was unused to being praised, not because he was romantically interested in her. Especially considering her calls her "sister" right after.

I figured he was blushing because he was unused to being praised, not because he was romantically interested in her. Especially considering her calls her "sister" right after.

This. Blushing does not equate to romantic interest 100% of the time.

Personally, I think that Kamui/siblings and Azura/siblings were two of the biggest mistakes the game developers made, especially if they wanted to promote the family theme. If you like pairings that fall within those two categories, then good for you I really don't care. But I think that if IS wanted to promote a family theme they should've stayed with it and not made siblings marriageable.

Personally, I think that Kamui/siblings and Azura/siblings were two of the biggest mistakes the game developers made, especially if they wanted to promote the family theme. If you like pairings that fall within those two categories, then good for you I really don't care. But I think that if IS wanted to promote a family theme they should've stayed with it and not made siblings marriageable.

Oh do NOT get me started on how bitter I am they threw away the very promising familial theme for S-ranks with the siblings. I feel like it really weakened the story, especially the parts where they had to try and justify marrying the Hoshidans. Azura being able to marry the siblings I still find a little squicky, but at least it's not detrimental to the plot like Corrin/siblings is.

Oh do NOT get me started on how bitter I am they threw away the very promising familial theme for S-ranks with the siblings. I feel like it really weakened the story, especially the parts where they had to try and justify marrying the Hoshidans. Azura being able to marry the siblings I still find a little squicky, but at least it's not detrimental to the plot like Corrin/siblings is.

I completely agree with you. The amount of hula hooping to justify Kamui not being related to the Hoshidans at all so that people can marry them was just utterly stupid and unnecessary. Not to mention, a previous FE game has had two pairs of genetic half-siblings who are really cousins be able to marry each other, in the same game where two half-siblings can get married by glitch, so technically FE has gone there before anyway. And that still doesn't address the big issue of "family" and "sibling love". If IS wanted to make a story on sibling love, they should've kept it that way and not let you marry siblings.

Azura is an odd duck in that as the way she is now, I could technically see her marrying Marx or Leon without too much squick? But Ryouma and Takumi, she grew up with and they see her as a sister and that's what their supports are about. It's just dumb. I personally think Azura should've just been another half-sister to the Nohrians in the first place.

Considering how they introduced support based reclassing, i thought the point of the A+ is so that Corn and sibs couldnt bang for obvious reasons.

I was sadly mistaken.

I completely agree with you. The amount of hula hooping to justify Kamui not being related to the Hoshidans at all so that people can marry them was just utterly stupid and unnecessary. Not to mention, a previous FE game has had two pairs of genetic half-siblings who are really cousins be able to marry each other, in the same game where two half-siblings can get married by glitch, so technically FE has gone there before anyway. And that still doesn't address the big issue of "family" and "sibling love". If IS wanted to make a story on sibling love, they should've kept it that way and not let you marry siblings.

Gotta keep all that love in the family ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What I don't understand is why the game is so utterly lacking in character interactions, especially in Birthright and Revelation, when we're supposed to care about the siblings. The Nohrians don't talk about Corrin being a dragon or how they pretty much lied to them their entire lives while the Hoshidans don't talk to Corrin about...well, anything, really? In the main story there's very little reason to care about any of them, save for, in my personal opinion, Leo and Takumi, who actually get to stuff.

Edited by Thane