Characters you liked but have begun to like less or even dislike

Sequitur

The only ones I can think of (at the moment) who fall under this category are Hinoka, Asama, and maybe Elise. Hinoka for being the worst older sister in the world to anyone not named Kamui, even to the point where Kamui is invading her country and she cares more about Kamui than the rest of her siblings.

Elise because she's so Kamui-centric and I have issue with her attitude towards Sakura in Nohr 18. Yeah, at the beginning Nohr 23 and when the game ends she's nicer to Sakura but really, that just comes off as Elise no longer seeing Sakura as a threat for Kamui's affection so it's only THEN that she decides to be nice.

Asama because he's an asshole. There's really not much else to it. I used to think he was kind of funny, but I blame Baldrick for that.

Can't really put other characters I dislike on this list, because I didn't like them to begin with. (Stares at Marx, Camilla, Corrin, Pieri, and Zero.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're pretty much correct on what makes a Sue

There's actually a type of Sue where it's due to their flaws they're a Sue. It's called Anti-Sue. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AntiSue

So having flaws doesn't prevent one from being a Sue, though Corrin is more of a Black Hole Sue http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackHoleSue

The lack of examples on those TVTropes pages greatly disappoints me.

The lack of examples on those TVTropes pages greatly disappoints me.

They took them down because it was incredibly controversial and lead to a lot of editing wars, since people would just slam characters they didn't like onto the various Mary Sue pages.

Reina. I WANT to like her, but she really suffer from being Kamuisexual. She have no role in the story unlike the other Kamuisexuals, and her sole support, while good, isn't enough to make her an interesting character. Why create a character in such a half-assed way ? Quality over quantity, if you don't have time to write new supports, just don't add more characters. Talking to you, IS.

Also, Nyx. I don't dislike her, I actually REALLY liked her at first, in her support with Kamui. Damn, I liked it so much that I married her in Conquest. But the more I read her supports, the more I found her redundant and boring. What a waste.

(Btw, "my room" just doesn't work well with some characters. Nyx being all lovely-dovey kind of bother me.)

It seems like everyone's frustrations with certain characters revolve around IS's incompetence with writing quality. Hayato's support with Corrin is even nearly a direct copy and paste from Ricken/Robin in Awakening and while that was really disappointing I did not allow it to make me dislike Hayato just for that reason. Hayato is okay to me since he's really just a cinammon roll with a chip on his shoulder.

To alleviate this issue I've taken it upon myself to create my own headcanons for characters whenever the need to flesh out arises to save myself the trouble of resenting fictional characters.

With that said, even with headcannons I cannot be made to appreciate Charlotte in full. I started Conquest thinking she'd be the one to marry Corrin even while knowing what she's into but upon meeting her and getting some support ranks it surprised me how turned off I was by her need to get comfy with anyone with station considered upper class.

I'm not at all bothered by the repetitiveness of the affectionate lines spoken in the treehouse. I have an imaginitive mind and Corrin's always doing something more fulfilling with his/her spouses than being told how much he/she tickles their fancy.

There were a few units in Fates that I was really disappointed in how they turned out personality-wise. These are probably the worst culprits for me:

Hana

I legit thought she was gonna be this awesome swordsman who was funny and witty, but she literally can't say anything nice to anyone, and seems to think that she is the only person who Sakura has a relationship with. Although there were a couple of supports involving her which were nice, most of them are just... ugh.

Jakob

At first he seems like an intelligent caretaker who is calculating and strong, but he is actually just an ass. Like a really, really big ass. He is nice to nearly nobody, except for Corrin, and ends up having next to no redeeming qualities. A true disappointment.

Camilla

When I first played through Conquest, I loved her. Despite her being fap bait, I kinda thought her overly-obsessive nature with Corrin was cute. Then you look at some of her supports with people like Jakob, then you realise that her being fab bait and obsessed with Corrin is all she has as a character. So much wasted potential.

Selena

I just hate characters who are outright rude and "tsundere". Fuck this bitch.

Azama

At first I found him clever and witty, but he is also a jerk. Ugh - so many nasty characters.

Peri

I hate characters who have nothing to go on besides a shit past and a knack for murdering everything in sight. Waste of a character slot and she just looks outright ugly. Literally the WORST unit in the entire game for me.

Everyone else I either like or love. Especially Kaden. God, I love Kaden.

Everyone I've chosen to marry in Fates. God, all that sappy lovey-dovey crap in My Room grates my nerves after a while. It's nice and cute the first couple times, but after hearing the same lines for the 37th time...

I've spent far too many time creating fantasy where Jakob get murdered... (The fact he was benched just made me hate him more.

Someone's trying to end the war here, so cut your bullshit when I'm home please.)

The line aren't the worst though ("My lips are ready to serve" though...) The mini-games cakes the cake. Especially blowing at the screen. This makes no sense (because they're fully dressed. After telling you they just comes out the bath. Suuuure...) and it's freaking annoying.

And the marriage music gives me diabetes

Otherwise Assama. I really liked his design, but I just don't get him.

All his supports so far are about him being a jerk for no reason and mocking the others' convictions.

Nyx : I liked her design, but she isn't really useable and her english voice, while fitting, is grating.

Male Kana : His behaviour is explained by his young age, but it doesn't makes him any less annoying

Odin would by my pick. I was never on the Owain love train as much as most people but I did always like him. He was funny, a decent unit and his supports were good or at least alright.

But I'm not finding myself warming up to Odin nearly as much. Out of the Awakening trio he seems the least developed. The carefree Inigo is more thoughtful and the senior retainer(though that one is more due to his partner being insane) and Severa is less bratty and has learned to be unconditionally nice to some people. Both developed as characters but Odin strikes me as the exact same Owain as the one from Awakening. As a result I feel that he's less deserving of his place in Fates.

His whole bombastic persona is also getting a bit old now.

I disagree on that point. He know fully well he's playing a role now and he's actually quite insightful besides his extravagant behaviour.

And his support with Ophelia are pretty great. Odin/Laslow is also quite nice.

​It's not as clear cut as the others, but it's definitely there.

-Ryoma. He called me a fool during our private time and I will never forgive him.

It's because you screwed up pasta, I would guess

-Niles. I don't hate him; I still like him but not as much. Most likely due to no DIO!Niles and the localization "editing" him. I don't want to say they butchered him but the way they worded some of his supports took away the character development and impact they initially had.

Oh man, this. I still do love Niles and I am going to marry him, but I wonder why the localization team had to change his dialogue so much. Especially because his My Room lines in JP Fates (what with him suddenly being very vulnerable around the avatar and asking them to hold his hand while he sleeps) made me like him so much in the first place! It feels like there's a bit of a disjoint between Niles and Zero when there didn't need to be and that's kind of disappointing, really.

But to get back on topic, I also agree with the points made with Silas and Hana. I thought Hana was cool until her pushy attitude kind of turned me off, and Silas with his self-proclamation as Corrin's BFF. I'm more impartial to Silas though, because I do get his appeal, but I wish he was more than just his "nice guy who loves corrin" shtick.

I also liked JP!Hinoka and Effie, but their one-trick ponies also tired me after a while. Hinoka is just not a good older sister and her fixation on getting Corrin back doesn't make a lot of sense, even going as far as to brush off her blood siblings for them. JP!Effie is really just superior to localized effie for....obvious reasons.

^

I can't fault them for having an issue with Mr. "Even if you cry or scream, I won't stop." Niles comes across as a decent enough person most of the time, but when his role as the seme requires him to be a piece of shit he doesn't do things by half. And honestly, his confession was still rather rapy even in the translation.

Edited by BrightBow

Even though I will burn at the stakes for this:

Xander - I saw him during the opening scenes and thought "Hey, this guy's pretty badass". Then I saw that he was a nice older brother during the introduction. Then I played Birthright. He didn't put his sword down after killing his little sister, who asked in her dying breath not to fight anymore... and that was that for him. Xander, you spineless prick. I benched him on Conquest and Revelations as well. Good stats and growths be damned!

Flora - Almost the same as Xander, this girl needs to get her priorities straight. Get a freakin' spine, damn it!

Soleil - Inigo's daughter? Hey, this could be fun... Or so I thought. Until I read her first supports. They really overdid it with her character gimmick. Her supports with Nina are hilarious, though.

Niles - I feel bad for any homosexual person who plays this game that the only option they get is a sadistic rapist. Niles, I thought you were cool at first, but now... get out of my sight, please. The fact that he is squishy as hell and gets critted by literally everything doesn't help his cause, either.

Felicia - I didn't mind the whole Sumia 2.0 shtick... until I heard her voice. Ugh.

Selena - She is an odd case. At first I thought: "Hey, Severa is back! Yay!" Then I found out that they turned her b*tchiness up to eleven and I started to dislike her a bit. Then I read her S-support with Corrin and laughed so hard that she is back to being one of my favourites.

Caeldori - I was never a fan of recycling if it's for no other reason than fanservice (Selena, Odin and Laslow at least have a reason for being who they are being where they are). Asugi and Rhajat also don't rank very high (although I like Rhajat slightly more than Tharja) because of that reason, but boy did they screw up with Caeldori.

Ugh. This girl oozes Mary Sue so much, they need to put up a 'wet floor' sign. She makes Micaiah look well-written and that's quite the accomplishment in and of itself.

Hana - I gotta admit, I'm a Hana fanboy. But her obsession with Sakura can get a bit grating. For this reason, almost none of her paired endings make any sense. Why couldn't they let these two have an S-support? No one would have complained about that, since same-sex supports are a thing in this game and there is nothing wrong with being homosexual anyway.

There is a few others I don't like, particulary when you take children into account, but those I didn't list here, I didn't like from the get-go.

Taku NOPE! NOT GOING THERE ANYMORE!!!