Characters you liked but have begun to like less or even dislike

Sequitur

I removed my room in favor of having another statue. Best decision.

Jakob is aesthetically quite my thing and personalitywise not very my thing.

-Ryoma. He called me a fool during our private time and I will never forgive him.

idk i thought it was hot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much stopped using the Bond command once I got Kamui's spouses up to 3 full hearts because the lines could get repetitive. Especially since there's no actual benefit to it after you get the Love Bracelet at 2 big hearts. Plus I'm a bit of a sappy romantic myself, so they don't bother me as much in that regard.

On the topic at hand, Odin. Owain was one of my favorite kids back in Awakening, but he seems to have lost all of his depth in Fates in favor of pandering to fans with more of his gimmick and nothing but his gimmick in almost all of his supports, never mind that it was previously established as being mostly an act.

Edited by AzureSen

If I had to say then it's probably Peri for me. When I first heard about her character, I thought she was cool. But after playing the game I don't like her as much anymore. I don't like how she's willing to kill everyone for no reasons or insane reasons at times. In the Japanese version (she refers to herself in the third person which kinda turned me off to her as well).

Edited by Avarice_Shadow

For me, I liked Sophie because of her design. However, her mount makes her support with Corrin honestly crappy to me.

I could hardly care much about Corrin these days... I'm even planning on making a self-insert Einherjar unit (complete with all skills hacked in and having fully maxed out stats, including the extent allowed by character statues, S-ranks in all possible weapon types besides dragonstones which can only be capped at A, and having OP class options) to run Lunatic difficulty with after filling out the support log just to have him steal Corrin's spotlight (in my eyes, that is).

Edited by Roflolxp54

Since I don't really care most of the character's flaw, (as I usually just blame the writers for not caring enough to make the character work properly.) There are a few that just didn't sit right with me, even if I still like them.

Effie was one character that i initially thought was pretty cool. Voice opinions aside, she was an outstanding unit and her hilarious strength made for some funny supports. But aside from her support with Azama and maybe a few others that I missed, there really isn't much to say about her. I find myself comparing her to Kjelle a lot and she kinda fell a little flat to me. Her supports are often very focused on hunger and strength that I kinda wished they tone that down a bit and give her other qualities.

-and this is reason I don't like him as much~his stats. He is way too slow and he just doesn't have the defense to excuse his low speed

I've always found Selena to be better in basically everything except Skill, Luck, and strength (and even then Selena's strength has always been pretty good for me)

Laslow's best used not as a fighter, but as a damn amazing Rally Bot. Marry him to Selena or Azura and buddy him up with Keaton and you can have him not only able to rally +5 strength, +4 skill and +5 speed, but you can also have TWO of him at once.

Hana, Hana... oh Hana. She WAS the Waifu for my first Birthright run. Great design, a VA I like (Karen Strassman has voiced a lot of characters I love) and (to top it all off), we share a birthday. It was perfect, I didn't need to look, I found my Waifu....

"How dare you let yourself get kidnapped! You made your sister cry!"

Yep, that was pretty much the end of that... Granted, this whole situation gave me an appreciation for Scarlet I probably wouldn't have had if Hana was written differently, so I guess that's a plus?

Edited by Avalanche

I... haven't really started disliking anyone I used to like? The only guy I hated more as time went on was Hans, and I hated that goddamn Nohrian in the first place.

Maybe Flora? I still like her after all she's been through, but her lack of supports and the fact that some Flora fans are avid Felicia haters kinda turned me away.

Surprisingly, I actually kinda like Peri since the game was released, especially the NA version where she isn't using some childish third-person voice (it even sounds kinda attractive I'm weird ok). If this weren't in a war setting i'd probably hate her though.

I'm pretty sure he claims that he's Corrin's best friend in his c-support with Charlotte when she asks him if they're close, though, I could be wrong because it's been a while since I've read their supports, but I remember that was when I started to dislike Silas.

This is true, but Charlotte dismisses this in their B-support by saying Avatar doesn't see it that way. To which Silas responds that yes, because they don't remember much it has been some time since they were friends (or something along those lines), but you can't dismiss their friendship as it is now. I can see how it can come off as pushy, but all considered, Avatar does in fact reciprocate those feelings after some time, so even if (unfortunately) the only thing Silas has going for him in most of his supports is his BFFforlifeforlife with Avatar, it is mutual.

Either way, I don't dislike or like Silas anymore. I just don't care much for pushy characters... But tbh most of the writing for the characters are pretty bad, since they all come of as one-trick ponies with only one facade to them. There's no duplicity. Everything just is as it is. So I tend to focus on other characters qualities rather than that one thing IS created them for. And I think people focus too much on these traits which is why a lot of people have grown to dislike characters like Silas, Hana, Felicia, Odin and so on.

I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of either of them, but I think they have a lot of redeeming qualities. Silas has the BFF gimmick going for him, but in a lot of his supports he is a very kind person. Hana might come off as pushy and a Sakura-stan, but she's the Sully of this generation and all she wants is for women to be considered equal to men, which I think is pretty fair. Felicia is the klutz of all klutzes, but she's a hard worker and "canonically" one of the best fighters. Odin is the gimmicks of all gimmicks, but he's caring. His way of doing it is sometimes creepy (Selena-support), but he has good intentions.

Unfortunately, none of the tiny fragments we get to see of these characters manage to redeem their bad qualities (for me), but that doesn't mean they're all just bad...

Honestly, Silas's modern friendship with Corrin isn't really well established. At least outside of revelation (haven't played that yet so I don't know), they don't give off the impression of being very close, and Silas's supports with Corrin have very little to do with their CURRENT friendship and are all about their PAST one.

Honestly I think they should've gone with him being a legitimate close friend that Corrin actually remembers and have him be one of the characters who sides with Corrin from the outset no matter what, rather than pop up shortly afterwards.

Oh quite a few actually:

- Jakob: At first, I thought he was a cool, if slightly overbearing butler, and i even considered marriying him at some point. Then I read some of his supports and well... stiffness and slight rudeness is one thing, but he is just such a jerk to everyone who isn't Corrin. Sure he acts generally polite towards those related to them, but that just makes it worse for me. And then there is his treatment of his own son.. I am surprised at the popularity of Jakob/Flora. Sure, she has a crush on him, but he wouldn't really be good for her in any shape or form.

- Silas: Thought him to be the kind and friendly childhood friend. Bit generic and not exactly my type, but fine. But he comes across as a completely insincere "nice guy". Proclaiming himself Corrin's "best friend" out of the blue, being unpleasantly condenscending.. Yeah, no.

- Soleil: The first thing I read with her was her support with her dad, and it made me think good things about her. It's arguably her best support, but it does nothing to save her in my eyes. Most of the other supports are simply awful. I hardly find anything redeeming about her, everything is simply coated in her selfish, harassing ways. The way she treats Ophelia and Foleo is very condemming. I get intensely uncomfortable when I see her being shipped with them. Granted the latter was changed in the localization. the localization tried to change a lot about her. But it only ended up as a disjointed mess. Her support with Ophelia is just as bad as before, she is still a harasser, yet we are supposed to see her as a good girl in others. It's particularly insulting how Forrest is her only real S-support, because he looks a girl, you see. It's her fetish, you see... I think Soleil might be the worst character in all of Fates for me.

- Corrin: I was more neutral towards them in the beginning, but could see myself growing to like them as an individual character even. But they turned out to be a horribly, bland Mary Sue. Much disappoint.

- Corrin: I was more neutral towards them in the beginning, but could see myself growing to like them as an individual character even. But they turned out to be a horribly, bland Mary Sue. Much disappoint.

I don't want to drag this off topic, but no, Corrin's not a Mary Sue. As an Avatar, they're a self-insert made for wish-fulfillment, but they weren't dropped into a pre-existing story to ruin it (unlike you, Kris). But they themselves as a character are very flawed and screw up too often to be "perfect" which is what people seem to mis-define Mary Sue as nowadays.

To stay on-topic:

Silas: Like a lot of others, I thought it was pretty neat how his friendship with Corrin was so strong he was willing to side with him no matter what. Then it turned out Corrin didn't remember him, which was, okay, a little weak, but not a dealbreaker. Then it turned out that all he talked about was his friendship with Corrin...and that on the rare occasion he wasn't he was kind of a judgemental ass...and that just sunk him for me. I don't hate him or anything, I just couldn't care less.

Effie: I was a bit annoyed at her prevailing gimmick in the JPN version, but when it wasn't around I did like her. I thought her design was quite nice, and was hoping with a good VA and localization, they'd make her better. Boy was I wrong--she got the worst VA in the game (except Male Kana, maybe) and was exaggerated into an even bigger meathead.

Flora: I dunno, I was shocked by her actions my first time through Birthright and I felt pretty bad for her, but my second time they just seemed dumb and laughable. I guess I don't really see what other people see in her because she's basically a copy of Cordelia, a character I hated in the first place.

Edited by Abvora

Nyx. she was doing better than Odin at one point in my playthrough. I get that her gimmick is having insane magic and speed but what's the point in that if she doesn't have the skill to land a hit? Her character is interesting though. Benched her before she even got promoted.

Siegbert's a good unit but the whole "I must impress father" get's annoying really fast.

I don't want to drag this off topic, but no, Corrin's not a Mary Sue. As an Avatar, they're a self-insert made for wish-fulfillment, but they weren't dropped into a pre-existing story to ruin it (unlike you, Kris). But they themselves as a character are very flawed and screw up too often to be "perfect" which is what people seem to mis-define Mary Sue as nowadays.

Well, there are multiple definitions of Mary Sue, so his issue is quite subjective. To me a Mary Sue isn't neccessarily someone inserted into the story or is without flaws. Rather it concerns how other characters and the universe itself react to them.

To me, the way the universe bends around Corrin is what makes them a Sue. And I don't think that the flaws they possess are ever adequately adressed or portrayed that way by the narrative... Again, that's just my definition of the term.

Anyway, I thought of someone else:

- Charlotte: At first, I really liked her and most of her supports, but the new content added to her in the dlc just made me become more apathetic towards her. That and actually using her being a pain, because she is blind as a bat.

-Xander. I like his sword, and I like his design, but the way he acts in Birthright disgusts me and made me dislike him. His reasoning for attacking Corrin just seems like he's being butthurt about Corrin joining Hoshido. Even Leo was hesitant about attacking when Corrin chose Hoshido.

-Jakob. Like everyone else, the fact that he'd bend his back for Corrin yet be a complete ass to others is just disgusting. It's one the reasons that I like using the Male avatar more; Felicia isn't a bitch.

-Hayoto. I actually think Hayoto is nowhere near as annoying as Dicken from Awakening, the main reason I don't like him anymore is because of his shit skill. So now he's more meh as a unit imo.

Well, there are multiple definitions of Mary Sue, so his issue is quite subjective. To me a Mary Sue isn't neccessarily someone inserted into the story or is without flaws. Rather it concerns how other characters and the universe itself react to them.

To me, the way the universe bends around Corrin is what makes them a Sue. And I don't think that the flaws they possess are ever adequately adressed or portrayed that way by the narrative... Again, that's just my definition of the term.

You're pretty much correct on what makes a Sue

There's actually a type of Sue where it's due to their flaws they're a Sue. It's called Anti-Sue. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AntiSue

So having flaws doesn't prevent one from being a Sue, though Corrin is more of a Black Hole Sue http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackHoleSue

As for the actual topic, Felicia and Jakob. They seemed okay when the trailers and such came out, but there's almost no depth to them. They're just walking stereotypes that's there to act as fanservice and worship the player. Though how a douche like Jakob is considered fanservice escapes me. Who would actually find his personality attractive?

Edited by RedRob

Who would actually find his personality attractive?

Well..uhm...there is me.

No seriously, I don't know why, but I love the characters that act as a dick towards the others.

Btw, for the topic, I must say Elise and Sakura: I mean, they looked like pretty cute to me initially, but after some time I started to find their personality a little annoying. I don't hate them, but I don't love them either.

I came in wanting to like Soleil before I really knew what she was about, but when I actually recruited her I was turned off to her really fast. The problem I have with her is that the narrative seems to suggest that she's as flirty with girls as her father but much more successful because she's more honest and respectful for something... but then I see supports like Soleil and Ophelia's where I'm like "Jesus Christ Laslow would be reduced to chunky salsa if he tried this!". I haven't seen all of her supports, to be fair, but it seems like her superiority to Laslow in the art of flirting with girls is something of an informed ability and that she's actually just as bad if not worse, it's just the writers artificially will her to be more successful.

Again though, this is just my initial impressions from the few supports I got from her and the ones I saw online, I haven't actually been able to use her fully yet for a few reasons relating to what I'm doing with my first playthrough.

Edited by Alastor15243

So having flaws doesn't prevent one from being a Sue, though Corrin is more of a Black Hole Sue http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackHoleSue

Only in that everyone likes them and the ones who don't are jerks or evil (which, let's be real, is a trait of nearly all Fire Emblem lords. Ike, Ephraim, Eliwood...). The "laws of the universe bending so they can succeed" part is laughable because Corrin screws up more times than I can count, to his own detriment (unlike a real BHS).

There would be Arthur. He most certainly seems like a charming and funny fellow at first. But there is one tiny problem with this self-proclaimed hero of justice: He is working for Corrin. Seriously, how could this guy possibly stomach serving anyone in the Nohr royal family, let alone Corrin? Especially after that guy decides to invade Hoshido. Not to mention it simply becomes increasingly frustrating seeing him refer to Hoshidan soldiers desperately trying to protect their people from Corrin with such lovely terms as "villain" or "fiend". This guy is no Superman, he is more like Bizarro.

I suppose I could also state Jacob but... well, I kinda did know about his support with Rinka in advance, so I already knew he was a piece of shit. Still, I did not expect he would reveal himself to be an entitled and selfish scumbag as early as his C support with Corrin.

Edited by BrightBow

There would be Arthur. He most certainly seems like a charming and funny fellow at first. There is one problem with this self-proclaimed hero of justice: He is working for Corrin. Seriously, how could this guy possibly stomach serving anyone in the Nohr royal family, let alone Corrin? Especially after that guy decides to invade Hoshido. Not to mention it simply becomes increasingly frustrating seeing him refer to Hoshidan soldiers desperately trying to protect their people from Corrin as "villain" and "fiend". This guy might act like he is a superhero but his closest match in comic books would probably be Bizarro.

Honestly I agree, but I attribute this problem not to Arthur, but to the poor handling of Nohr's motivations for war in general, since there are a lot of people like that in Nohr (particularly, as far as I know, I haven't seen hidden truths, Laslow, Selena and Odin), it's just the most obvious with Arthur. Arthur would be totally fine if Garon weren't essentially Skeletor with a face and if there were even the slightest good reason for the conflict beyond the hand-wavy and poorly-explained famine that doesn't even get mentioned in Conquest.

Only in that everyone likes them and the ones who don't are jerks or evil (which, let's be real, is a trait of nearly all Fire Emblem lords. Ike, Ephraim, Eliwood...). The "laws of the universe bending so they can succeed" part is laughable because Corrin screws up more times than I can count, to his own detriment (unlike a real BHS).

I was just saying Corrin fit more into the BHS category than the Anti-Sue category is all.

Well..uhm...there is me.

No seriously, I don't know why, but I love the characters that act as a dick towards the others.

Well, do you find him romantically appealing, or just entertaining, because there's a bunch of jerk characters that fall into the latter category for me. EX. Kirito in Sword Art Online Abridged

Keaton and Velouria would be my main ones. I really like their designs and I like their personalities as well, but there is one problem I have with them. Their garbage obsession gimmick is very prominent in most of their supports and I just don't think that trait is funny or interesting enough to be worth repeating that much. It makes them far more boring then I would have liked.

When i really paid attention to her supports and interactions with her siblings and her motives in the plots (when they are barely touched upon), Hinoka lost my love. She ignores her siblings for the most part, in favor of Corn. She doesnt even ask if her sister is alive in BR. I dont even... Im sorry, Hinoka, but you really kinda suck as a people.

Keaton and Velouria would be my main ones. I really like their designs and I like their personalities as well, but there is one problem I have with them. Their garbage obsession gimmick is very prominent in most of their supports and I just don't think that trait is funny or interesting enough to be worth repeating that much. It makes them far more boring then I would have liked.

I dunno, they did some clever things with it, like having Keaton inadvertently fuck with Charlotte.

But I will agree it's the weakest part of their personalities, I much prefer the fact that he's basically the world's most adorably incompetent tsundere, betrayed by his own body language.

Edited by Alastor15243