*Birthright spoilers* what was your reaction to...

Alastor15243

140 members have voted

1. 1. Flora's suicide: your reaction?

• It was stupid/hilarious
    • I felt nothing
    • I cried

Izana's was even dumber than Flora's. "Hey, I'm dying, k thnx bye."

That was the one time I laughed at that character. "Btw, I'm dying. Go save the world gais." Uh, okay? Was there a reason for that death other than the roster getting too big?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4o39ql/character_analysis_flora/

I've written this for Flora.

Imo she's an underrated beautifully written character. :P

I didn't cry at her suicide, but looking back at it, it's probably the best written death in the games due to everything that's implied behind it. And screw Lilith's deaths when she had 3 secs of screen time.

Also, how the hell does Flora have fire powers when she's a part of the ice tribe!?!?!

Flora's powers imply more than freezing stuff. I think she can also draw heat from something, which means she can light herself up too. (as a reminder, Corrin-Felicia B says Felicia stayed nearby and drew the heat from Corrin's cold iirc)

Edited by Nintales

The only deaths that I thought were handled well were Elise's, Ryoma's, and Xander's to an extent.

Izana's was even dumber than Flora's. "Hey, I'm dying, k thnx bye."

Scarlet's was okay, but didn't work in isolation. You only feel anything for her, if you used her in Birthright. In Revelations, you have her for all of two chapters, and the only chance to get any supports with her at all is if you grind with her the very first chance you get, otherwise you're out of luck. I honestly think no playable units should have dies in Rev, since it's the happy ending. Why is Corrin so distraught over Scarlet's death? She just met her.

Lilith's death was dumb both times. "Hey guys, need any help?" Whack!

Azura's "death" was done right as well in my opinion. There's some subtle foreshadowing to it earlier, and then the final boss has her sing a special version of a song that she's been singing the whole game that causes her to kind of degenerate. At the end, she completely disappears. Not bad at all honestly.

Scarlet's I'm honestly going to put as "horrible." I played Revelations first, so I was just like "why does she only have like...1 support?" My Corrin was already married so I ignored her, and she didn't quite fit on my team, and then bam she died. I can understand why Corrin is upset though, because it was someone her brother seemed to really like. So I can see why she'd feel bad.

That was the one time I laughed at that character. "Btw, I'm dying. Go save the world gais." Uh, okay? Was there a reason for that death other than the roster getting too big?

I didn't mind his death. I was under the impression that it *was* supposed to be funny. Honestly, I feel like he didn't actually die and just did it so they'd go away.

Edited by Augestein

Azura's "death" was done right as well in my opinion. There's some subtle foreshadowing to it earlier, and then the final boss has her sing a special version of a song that she's been singing the whole game that causes her to kind of degenerate. At the end, she completely disappears. Not bad at all honestly.

Scarlet's I'm honestly going to put as "horrible." I played Revelations first, so I was just like "why does she only have like...1 support?" My Corrin was already married so I ignored her, and she didn't quite fit on my team, and then bam she died. I can understand why Corrin is upset though, because it was someone her brother seemed to really like. So I can see why she'd feel bad.

I didn't mind his death. I was under the impression that it *was* supposed to be funny. Honestly, I feel like he didn't actually die and just did it so they'd go away.

Azura's death was okay. I'm not sure why they'd try to pass of a playable unit's death as a joke. It seems counter to the spirit of the rest of the story.

I actually think Izana joining would have made more sense in Revelations, than either of the other paths. In CQ and BR, he doesn't really have any reason to join you, being the leader of a neutral nation, who just shows up when he hears you've got a hot tub.

In Revelations, he could have been an early ally for Corrin looking to defeat the true enemy, showcasing Corrin's diplomatic skills.

Agreed. Elise, Ryoma and Azura all had the best deaths in the game due to them being around all game (so you could get attached to them), them all sacrificing themselves in some way or another, and either the suddenness of it (Elise and Ryoma) or the build-up you can see but can't stop (Azura). They all had cutscenes too, with great cinematics and voice acting, which definitely helped.

Xander, Takumi and Kaze's were okay. I was sufficiently attached to the first two to feel bad when they died, but with Xander it was overshadowed by my exasperation by his insistence on fighting, and with Takumi I was just frustrated because he's such a tough boss. For Kaze, I think it's kind of dumb that Corrin doesn't just turn into a dragon and fly them away, but him living in that scene is a lot stupider than him dying--"oh hey a crystal I dunno what it does let me hit it and hope it's useful", and the shock factor of it, plus the fact he'd been with me for a while, did make me feel something.

Izana, Lilith, and Flora's were dumb. Izana drops dead for no reason, I literally forgot Lilith existed so when she died I was like "am I supposed to feel something"?, and I already explained why Flora's is bad.

Scarlet is in this weird in-between void of "okay" and "dumb" for me. Unlike the "dumb" category characters, her death actually did have a purpose in the plot, so it wasn't pointless. But it was so fast you couldn't get attached to her--they were obviously banking on players feeling something from Birthright--and it was on the golden "no one dies" route, which makes it sting even more.

It was hilarious how overly melodramatic and hammy it was. Like, seriously, you don't need to turn yourself into a seared human steak because you had to have your clan not die.

Scarlet's death was stupid and unnecessary, and should not have happened at all

Izana's death was the stupidest of all the deaths, and Lilith's would have had even a little bit of impact if she actually existed for more than just use in your castle

It felt unnecessary, to say the least. I get they wanted to illustrate sacrifice and despair, but they just didn't pull it off well. But it was better than

Lilith's

random death though. Hers was the most random death ever in both Birthright and Conquest. :S

In all honesty I thought Fire Tribe said Fire Nation so I remembered this one picture I saw

ERj5Kwf.png

Yikes, I would have loved these portraits. I just ended up laughing because how the hell can something burn so intensely when there's a damn blizzard happening all around you. The scene just becomes comical after she can somehow make a speech about it.

If there was a death scene to look up to it's...

Xenoblade Chronicles' Fiora's "death" from Metal Face.

Even just REACHIN' close to that scene would be an impressive feat. No other death/sad scene has came close to movin' this guy's stone heart.

Not contraction band necrosis, mind ya.

If there was a death scene to look up to it's...

Xenoblade Chronicles' Fiora's "death" from Metal Face.

Even just REACHIN' close to that scene would be an impressive feat. No other death/sad scene has came close to movin' this guy's stone heart.

Not contraction band necrosis, mind ya.

Maybe you should edit that so that you let people know which game you're spoiling? It's Xenoblade Chronicles, for anyone worried.

Edited by Alastor15243

Well, if Xenoblade does one thing right, it's in presentation. The story is standard but the way it goes through it and sets them up is simply amazing and it helps that it's got quite the emotional soundtrack for such scenes. I know I was pretty mindblown when...

Metal Face supposedly killed Fiora and you NEVER kill your childhood best friend in JRPGS. To this day, I look at that scene with Metal Face and go wow, even though she does live in the end but still the impact isn't lessened by much. It also helps that your "oldie" Dunban survives to help as well when they either die for you to pick up the Monado torch or just become evil. The evil part goes to the other two guys who are less bishonen of Dunban's crew.

Helps that the voice acting is super top notch both in Japanese and English especially for Shulk that I just had to give massive props to both actors.

Edited by Raguna

Flora's death was in my opinion the most retarded thing I've seen Fates do, all the Fates deaths made sense but Flora just deciding to kill herself out of nowhere? That's just stupid, and why? Because "She can never forgive herself for betraying her lord" that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If Intelligent Systems wanted Flora to die to add more tension to the story then you could've just had her die in battle, fighting Corrin and Felicia! And her dying words can explain what she was doing.

It doesn't help that I didn't give a damn about Flora in the first place because she was given little to no exposure or development (At least in Birthright) for me to care about her death. Maybe I would if it was handled better, but as it stands now, it gave me a good laugh and I've watched it again sometimes.

PS: Kaze's death can actually be prevented if you A rank him with Corrin before the chapter where he dies.

Edited by Rxmonste

Oh yeah. No, it was definitely stupid. I know it was supposed to be sad, sure, but I was just confused as to what the hell was going on, and why she figured killing herself was the best option. It just made absolutely no sense to me, and came out of nowhere. Like, why not join the team and "redeem" herself if she felt so bad about what she did? Regardless of how much I like Flora, that was an incredibly dumb death.

The structure is there, others in this thread have given the reasoning behind the suicide. But the problem is all that stuff is from reading between the lines and making assumptions. It's not stuff you're going to inherently gather playing the game. If you play birthright first everything just feels random and forced, but if you just rush through conquest/refuse to use flora you aren't going to get all the information necessary to understand it. It's just poor writing.

You shouldn't have to assume that there was a botched rebellion or play another route to get that Flora is a depressed individual suffering from an inferiority complex/other things.

That information should just be in the game(birthright) to begin with.

As for the topic at hand, I felt nothing because at that point I clocked out of fate's story(played conquest first) and I was already spoiled of the events.

If I have to be honest i felt worse when I heard my waifu Felicia scream in pain. It wasn't that big of a deal though. I suppose it was quite devastating for Corrin because he spent his whole life in a castle with Flora, Felicia, Jackob and Gunter; but I personally didn't feel too bad

It was dumb. All of Fates' stories have moments like this, manufactured emotional high points that don't succeed in providing emotional resonance. The Rainbow Sage dying (in all three stories, right?) was like... why do I care? I just met the dude. He gave me some vague advice and told me how to power up my sword. And now he's dead. Oh well. And then in Revelation (SPOILERS) he reveals he's a dragon. Okay? He doesn't turn into one, so why do I believe him? And why do I care? And then he says human magic can't work on dragons... EVEN THOUGH CORRIN'S A DRAGON AND HEALING HUMAN MAGIC WORKS ON HIM. And so he dies. Same happens to Izana (sp?) in Revelation. "Hey, I told you this important thing, and now my price is death." Really? Okay then.

Fates' stories are like "Missed Opportunities: The Game" because there are so many interesting ideas, but especially when they look for an emotional moment, it falls flat on its face. I have plenty more to say BUT I'll save that for somewhere else.

I played Conquests first and I still didn't really know much of Flora's personal motivations when I attended her BBQ. In Conquests, you get her so late, which coupled with the fact that she can't even bear children, means a lot of people will never bother to use her and read her whopping 2 support convos. Why does someone like Flora, someone who's known Corrin most of their life, only get 2 support convos and can't have kids, when a tangential character like Nyx gets to support with everybody?

I played Conquests first and I still didn't really know much of Flora's personal motivations when I attended her BBQ. In Conquests, you get her so late, which coupled with the fact that she can't even bear children, means a lot of people will never bother to use her and read her whopping 2 support convos. Why does someone like Flora, someone who's known Corrin most of their life, only get 2 support convos and can't have kids, when a tangential character like Nyx gets to support with everybody?

That's not even the only issue. If you don't ever play as F. Corrin, you can't get the battle dialogue between Jakob and Flora in CQ, which has I think what is probably the most crucial bit of story info about Felicia and Flora.

That's not even the only issue. If you don't ever play as F. Corrin, you can't get the battle dialogue between Jakob and Flora in CQ, which has I think what is probably the most crucial bit of story info about Felicia and Flora.

Wait, serious? M. Corrin doesn't trigger anything at all? Or is it because at that point you just have Felicia and not Jakob at all or am I forgetting something?

Wait, serious? M. Corrin doesn't trigger anything at all? Or is it because at that point you just have Felicia and not Jakob at all or am I forgetting something?

M!Corrin gets you Felicia's dialogue with Flora, not Jakob's, because you don't have Jakob (obviously).

I am a pussy when it comes to stuff that's supposed to be sad, but to add to that Flora is one of my favorite characters for some reason. I don't really know why she is I just really like her, so ofc I cried.

I actually cried at a lot of stuff in this game at the stupidest stuff.

Well, Birthright was focused more on beginners, so that might have been a smaller death to ease in new players. I didn't feel much about Flora's death, and it did seem weird. But I felt Kaze's. He was my favourite character, so I started another save file (from the decision) to save him. I really felt Lilith's, Elise's, Xander's and Azura's death honestly. I felt Xander's during his final moments after his small speech. But Elise was my least favourite death. That was quite emotional (but I can't cry, no matter how hard I try). Azura and Lilith were also hard, considering that Azura was my wife.

Edited by Elementar