What returning features would you like to see in the next fe?

Super Potat

While not exactly the safest move or the most innocent. I'd kinda want to see if we ever got a character like Lifis again. That'd really make some heads spin when you get to see their backstories.

An idea for a character I had awhile back was an enemy manakete who joins your army late game if you have a low enough turn count or playtime throughout the game, the idea being he swaps to the winning side being impressed with your ability as a commander. He then continues acting like a complete monster and even confirms he's eaten humans for fun. But you keep him around for because you need all the help you can get. His ending then has him being executed for war crimes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All aboard the fatigue train, speaking of fatigue, also rain and snow should come with it, instead of losing movement you lose fatigue if you stand on a tile like plains, going throw peaks fatigues the unit by a lot and you don't lose fatigue in forests.

A bit later here but better late than never

While not exactly the safest move or the most innocent. I'd kinda want to see if we ever got a character like Lifis again. That'd really make some heads spin when you get to see their backstories.

I honestly just want another Oliver (Radiant Dawn) because it was weird recruiting him and I liked it

Fair enough, though out of those, you don't even have access to status staves for the latter two, so that wouldn't help.

You have access to sleep+silence staffs (both usable on Sephiran) in Radiant Dawn, only berserk staffs aren't available in that and its prequel

Really status staffs are extremely useful but I guessing you either use them way too willingly or way too sparingly as they are extremely useful on people standing on gates and the like (only game you can't do this in is Thracia 776 but there are plenty of non-standing on gate boss mobs to use it on). Btw sleep/silence can be used to save units instead of killing the enemy as most of the time healing units are way to weak to kill in one round but have high enough staff rank to wield these (most of these needing a staff rank of B/A)

Though just to point this out using silence staffs on units to recruit them in Thracia doesn't work because silence staffs have the side effect of making them unable to talk (weirdly from my memory sleep staffs don't do this)

All aboard the fatigue train, speaking of fatigue, also rain and snow should come with it, instead of losing movement you lose fatigue if you stand on a tile like plains, going throw peaks fatigues the unit by a lot and you don't lose fatigue in forests.

That honestly sounds like an awful idea (not the fatigue, the latter) because it would make the bonuses of some units redundant i.e. the axe units, because I'm assuming peaks will give the most fatigue. It also discourages strategy as more deep strategy usually needs better positioning (so more movement and more movement in this system = more fatigue) and it would make the game harder for people having trouble with it i.e. not doing ranked runs and taking it slow. Also why would you not lose fatigue in forests? The game gives you a movement disadvantage in forests and not in plains so why do you not lose fatigue in forests

An idea for a character I had awhile back was an enemy manakete who joins your army late game if you have a low enough turn count or playtime throughout the game, the idea being he swaps to the winning side being impressed with your ability as a commander. He then continues acting like a complete monster and even confirms he's eaten humans for fun. But you keep him around for because you need all the help you can get. His ending then has him being executed for war crimes.

As long as you get some kind of substitute if you don't do as well, maybe another manakete who comes in the next chapter and joins you if you don't have him in your party. If you do have him in your party it then says it won't join you because of the other manakete and then warns you about him before dying in combat making you wonder if recruiting him was the right option

You have access to sleep+silence staffs (both usable on Sephiran) in Radiant Dawn, only berserk staffs aren't available in that and its prequel

Really status staffs are extremely useful but I guessing you either use them way too willingly or way too sparingly as they are extremely useful on people standing on gates and the like (only game you can't do this in is Thracia 776 but there are plenty of non-standing on gate boss mobs to use it on). Btw sleep/silence can be used to save units instead of killing the enemy as most of the time healing units are way to weak to kill in one round but have high enough staff rank to wield these (most of these needing a staff rank of B/A)

Though just to point this out using silence staffs on units to recruit them in Thracia doesn't work because silence staffs have the side effect of making them unable to talk (weirdly from my memory sleep staffs don't do this)

Would they even work on him? Because I have a sneaking suspicion that they'd run into Contractual Boss Immunity.

That has pretty much everything to do with "Too Awesome To Use", as I said earlier, given that most games only give you one to work with. Well, that, and I see them as just being way too situational (aside from the aforementioned Misha, about the only situation that screams "It's a good time for a status staff" I can think of is near the end of Genealogy chapter 1). This isn't helped by the fact that after the Jugdral saga, the staff accuracy formula changed to be dependent on the enemy's Resistance.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I would like to see Fixed Mode and BEXP again. Fixed Mode is a nice way to make characters get an 'averages' version with some deviations. Items, classes and weapons affecting stat gains is a good concept. It's sort of 'learn from your opponent' concept, where you take your enemy's advantages/virtues and apply them.

There can also be the 2 BEXP systems. If you want to abuse Fixed Mode, use PoR!BEXP, else you can get 3 random stats via RD!BEXP.

Also, IF magic units actually get some importance, then reintroduce Magic Triangle. Bring up Magic Triangle Attack similar to the Pegs and Archers Attack. For mages to actually have importance, it actually needs to have armies of mage units, there can be more classes or something. Like, cavaliers that use magic, promote to mage paladin and get access to a new magic. But that'd require to build a paralel FE to the existing one.

Also, I don't see why people argue that Fates brings a grand diversity of objectives since they are the same than others in the series. And besides, other games have more objectives than Fates.

I would like to see Fixed Mode and BEXP again. Fixed Mode is a nice way to make characters get an 'averages' version with some deviations. Items, classes and weapons affecting stat gains is a good concept. It's sort of 'learn from your opponent' concept, where you take your enemy's advantages/virtues and apply them.

There can also be the 2 BEXP systems. If you want to abuse Fixed Mode, use PoR!BEXP, else you can get 3 random stats via RD!BEXP.

Also, IF magic units actually get some importance, then reintroduce Magic Triangle. Bring up Magic Triangle Attack similar to the Pegs and Archers Attack. For mages to actually have importance, it actually needs to have armies of mage units, there can be more classes or something. Like, cavaliers that use magic, promote to mage paladin and get access to a new magic. But that'd require to build a paralel FE to the existing one.

Also, I don't see why people argue that Fates brings a grand diversity of objectives since they are the same than others in the series. And besides, other games have more objectives than Fates.

My big problem with Fixed mode is that it was a MASSIVE Guide Dang It. So no. In addition, it detracts from the core essence of FE, imho.

You know those scrolls in FE5 that could modify a character's growth rates? It'd be cool if those came back.

Nitpick but I believe that idea was first introduced in FE3 with the Star Sphere Shards. For some reason in the remake they changed it so they just give stat boosts and I'm not entirely sure why. I like the idea of being able to control my units growths some what. And it's not like it's a broken idea (by mere concept) since it usually reduces growths in one stat as much as it increases them in another. So it all comes down to picking how you want your unit to turn out.

My big problem with Fixed mode is that it was a MASSIVE Guide Dang It. So no. In addition, it detracts from the core essence of FE, imho.

I must admit that from the beginning it's a bit of a shitter for people who just hope to gain stats, but once you get familiar with the weapons, items and class alterations for growths, one gets used to it. It's a bit messy to depend on a calc if one takes it too seriously but there can be an additional display page per character with the growth points for each stat, which would facilitate stuff for everyone. It think it's a cool addition.

On the other hand, both Random Mode and Fixed Mode can coexist without harming each other, much to the player's fun/experience.

Yeah I want the magical triangle back and I want knives/daggers and bows to return to neutral. Fates screwed everything up for me there. I also kind of want Bonus Award EXP to come back as well. Like I get why it isn't in Awakening and Fates because you can fight risen and maskless dudes but idk I guess I can live without it. What I would like to see on the map though is like that tower in Sacred Stones and when you get to a specific point you get new characters that were previously in the game. Another thing is the staff Aum (I'm pretty sure it was called that) it would really be helpful to bring that back into the games. Next thing I'd like to see return is the Radiant Dawn forging, I like the way they do it so much better. The whole process of setting up stats, choosing your own color (the best obviously), and getting a coin flip. One last thing I want back, and I'm sure it's something a lot of people want, is the Second Seal so we can class change our characters and they start back at level 1. Yet another thing Fates screwed up.

Not really a returning feature but something new I'd like to see that I reckon they should have put in ten games ago. The ability to see growth rates on the character's bio. It really wouldn't break anything when it comes to balance, I know I at least habitually use the internet to check growth rates when it comes to anything but the newest games. Giving an approximate expectation for you character's strengths and potential is pretty important when selecting what sort of army you want to have.

Yeah I want the magical triangle back and I want knives/daggers and bows to return to neutral. Fates screwed everything up for me there. I also kind of want Bonus Award EXP to come back as well. Like I get why it isn't in Awakening and Fates because you can fight risen and maskless dudes but idk I guess I can live without it. What I would like to see on the map though is like that tower in Sacred Stones and when you get to a specific point you get new characters that were previously in the game. Another thing is the staff Aum (I'm pretty sure it was called that) it would really be helpful to bring that back into the games. Next thing I'd like to see return is the Radiant Dawn forging, I like the way they do it so much better. The whole process of setting up stats, choosing your own color (the best obviously), and getting a coin flip. One last thing I want back, and I'm sure it's something a lot of people want, is the Second Seal so we can class change our characters and they start back at level 1. Yet another thing Fates screwed up.

A good deal of the stuff you mentioned is stuff I wouldn't be happy to see - the magic triangle is redundant (hey, it's the weapon triangle, except not only does it apply to a minority of units, but all the units subject to it tend to have high resistance, meaning it's pointless as a strategic implement!). Second Seals... to be blunt, the "reset level to 1" thing was more of a nuisance than a boon. Also, it's ridiculous to actually have to demote because it turns out you forgot a skill. Also, I'd rather have the generic "heal everyone to full no matter where they are" staff a la Holy Maiden than a practically useless revival staff, especially since Fates DID have a revival staff... that managed to be even more useless than Aum and Valkyrie.

A good deal of the stuff you mentioned is stuff I wouldn't be happy to see - the magic triangle is redundant (hey, it's the weapon triangle, except not only does it apply to a minority of units, but all the units subject to it tend to have high resistance, meaning it's pointless as a strategic implement!)

Do we have to go throw this magic triangle discussion again (lenny face)

Another thing I would like to return is the classic locked promotion system. But this comes more as a preference rather than a serious argument. I prefer each character staying true to its class and match it with its design. Since FE11 I have been against the Reclass system, but I see why people like it so much. In contrast, for the sake of keeping the customization concept and the Avatar system, I think all of the cast can stay as their classes are and the Avatar can be a full customizable unit: choose your class, your face, hair, tunics/outfit, growths, bases and everything, and being like a hired unit or some wandering dude idk.

Another thing I would like to return is the classic locked promotion system. But this comes more as a preference rather than a serious argument. I prefer each character staying true to its class and match it with its design. Since FE11 I have been against the Reclass system, but I see why people like it so much. In contrast, for the sake of keeping the customization concept and the Avatar system, I think all of the cast can stay as their classes are and the Avatar can be a full customizable unit: choose your class, your face, hair, tunics/outfit, growths, bases and everything, and being like a hired unit or some wandering dude idk.

Agreed 100%. This would also open up the option of even having changing portraits when units promote. :)

This so much. I don't like reclassing since it puts too much emphasis skills and buying seals, and a lot of the time to get the good skills, you get a lot of not so good skills first and seals are expensive af and then you have less money for weapons.

After doing some more looking, other things I would like added are:

1) A repair shop. If we ever get weapon durability again, I hope we get this. It was so handy in FE4 and I just really liked it. If could go with the Smithy if we get My Castle as a thing or a Base ala PoR/RD. Or just give us a 'Broken *weapon type*' and a good amount of Hammerne staves.

2) Magic triangle. Say all you want about it, I just think it would be nice to have again. I don't mind magic being universal and not being split up, I mean FE3 is one of my favourites and that's how magic is, but I liked the diversity and also I just want Monks/Bishops again.

3) Third tiers. They would be amazing to have. While RD is a bad example of how to do them IMO since that game just has horrible balancing issues, if done right, they could be amazing.

4) More objectives. Conquest went in the right direction, but needed just a bit more. I mean only 1 defend map (It was one of the best in the game, but only one?). Just give me more.

5) A non-class based skill system. Personal skills are cool, just give me them with skill scrolls. Keep the mastery skills class locked by all means, I just would prefer it that way.

6) A non-avatar lord. Robin was good, but there was some situations where I was just like 'How? Why?'. Just make my avatar a tactician (Since that is what I am playing the game), and make him/her feel like me. Let me make decisions I would make, even if there is only 2 or 3 major decisions, at least let me make them and be major. I mean the one in Emmeryn's chapter could have been amazing, but either way you got a 'dead'? sister.

7) FE3 style transforming units. I think if Laguz were done this way, they would have been better. I just think overall this is the best way to handle these units instead of how they are now. I mean why would you go from loli 1000 year old dragon girl, to massive killer dragon, and back to loil 1000 year old dragon girl. IMO, it would make more sense if they stayed that form for the whole battle or at least 10-15 turns max.

Edited by Azz

• 2 weeks later...

1) No avatar.

2) Kaga back.

4) I don't know what else to say.

I know what else to say. WHERE'S POINT THREE!? This is like the Holy Hand Grenade all over again.