Thoughts on the English Voice Cast?

The DanMan

I cannot stand Hinoka's voice at all, I have to mute the game everytime she speaks. Real shame considering I like her alot.

Otherwise everyone else is fine.

Edited by Glorious Nippon Steel

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will say that my voice acting from the game is by liam o'brien and matt mercer, as they were also good voice actors in awakening.

however, i laughed at some of the other characters and their voice acting?? there's a convo in heirs of fate where siegbert screams like a little girl. are you ok buddy.

there's also the double casting, where when i noticed it i didn't even realize it was the same person (nyx, soleil, // effie, mikoto)

basically hit-and-miss with the acting, unless it's m!kana then it's definitely a miss. f!kana for the win my dudes

Elise sounds markedly different from a lot of Laura Bailey's more recent roles (see: Lucina in Awakening); Elise actually sounds like a young teen who's a little naive and a lot of an optimist. Major props to the voice-work in the cutscene were she dies; easily the most emotional of the royal deaths in the story (at least, until Xander ruins it and you wonder what the writers were smoking).

Xander/Marx reacts exactly how a person in his position and of his character should. If you think the writers were "smoking something" when writing that scene you probably haven't read his supports to understand his character.

All the voices fit their characters perfectly IMO. There are a few lines I feel could've used a second take, but the English VO in this game still gets a thumbs-up from me.

Xander/Marx reacts exactly how a person in his position and of his character should. If you think the writers were "smoking something" when writing that scene you probably haven't read his supports to understand his character.

I'd have to agree with this.

I'd have to agree with this.

The problem is that it completely nullifies' Elise's sacrifice and makes Xander look like a blind tool (which he is written like; hence my comments).

The problem is that it completely nullifies' Elise's sacrifice and makes Xander look like a blind tool (which he is written like; hence my comments).

I don't have a problem with this at all. As reflected in his low stats in all difficulties, Xander is clearly kind of suicidal after what has happened and wants Corrin to kill him. However, he's the honorable knight and will fight to the death even if Elise died. It's honestly kind of a nice mirror of what happens with Ryoma on Conquest.I know a lot of people give him and Ryoma flack for turning on Corrin depending on the route, but can you really blame them? They've just flat out sided with the enemy nation and both of them are the heirs to their respective countries thrones, of course they wouldn't hold back and want them dead.

Edited by Avalanche

I don't have a problem with this at all. As reflected in his low stats in all difficulties, Xander is clearly kind of suicidal after what has happened and wants Corrin to kill him. However, he's the honorable knight and will fight to the death even if Elise died. It's honestly kind of a nice mirror of what happens with Ryoma on Conquest.I know a lot of people give him and Ryoma flack for turning on Corrin depending on the route, but can you really blame them? They've just flat out sided with the enemy nation and both of them are the heirs to their respective countries thrones, of course they wouldn't hold back and want them dead.

Ryoma's justified; Xander, for me, crosses the line from "tragic" to "too dumb to live".

I cant stand Seigbert's voice it's terribly OoC for him IMO. Pieri's oddly suits her character for me. Arthur's is one of the best, Hinoka shares her VA with Buttercup from Powerpuff girls and every time I hear it, it makes me really uncomfortable for some reason. Setsuna gets a worthy mention her voice really suits her character. As for the laguz characters, is it just me or is it really hard to understand what they're saying when they crit half the time? especially Selkie and Velouria.

Also the little tidbits after the confession scenes where the screen goes white is incredibly creepy for me no matter the VA and it sounds like they recorded it in a tunnel.

I do agree with most criticisms of Siegberts voice. He sounds rather weird and awkward but he's characterized as someone who is very awkward so I don't mind. His my room lines just sound off though, especially the more lovey dovey ones.

Some favorites would include the justice family. I always wanted to see more of Pit's voice actor after Kid Icarus and in Fates he got a role with a very similiar personality to Pit. Him doing Silas also shows some range, even if its just the same Pit to Dark Pit range we already knew.

Arthur consistently makes his lines sound as funny as they are supposed to and there's a bit of a bonus if you're a Tales of Symphonia fan. Their personalities are very different but you can hear the serious and incredible baddass Kratos Aurion in Arthur's voice acting. Its weird but in a good way.

Cam Clark also does a good way in making Male Corrin sound very dorky.

I'm less fond of the voices of Subaki and Hayato(Though I'm warming up a bit to the latter) They aren't bad per se but I don't think they vocally fit the characters very much.

I've more or less come to terms with it at this point. The only one that still sounds bad to me is Effie.

I love most of the voices, but as someone who imported, it's definitely hard to let go of some of the objectively superior JP voices (Xander, Camilla, Niles, M Kanna, Hinoka), but then there are some Eng voices that I love soooo much (Silas/Percy, Leo, Elise, Arthur, Saizo) that it balances out.

So who voices Elise and Nina anyway? People are saying either Laura Bailey or Natalie Lander, so it is a bit confusing. For that matter, anyone knows who voices Subaki, Seigbert, Felicia, and Setsuna?

Finished conquest and almost done with Birthright and I'm gonna be honest.....Most of the voices are honestly horrible. I mean it's already irritating as hell that Nintendo thought it was an amazing idea NOT to let people have dual audio but then they also go and find horrible english voice actors for most of the voices.

For example, Camilla has that typical older sexy mature woman voice but the English voice is just....urgh. Horrible.
Elise, Xandar and Ryoma and many others also have fine voices but there are also many that are bad. For example I love my Selkie waifu but whatever they did with her voice, they should have dialed it down a notch.

So long story short, they could have done a better job, but it's acceptable. I'd say Awakaning had better voices.

So who voices Elise and Nina anyway? People are saying either Laura Bailey or Natalie Lander, so it is a bit confusing. For that matter, anyone knows who voices Subaki, Seigbert, Felicia, and Setsuna?

To this day we still don't really know, but I'm betting more on Natalie Lander for Elise and Nina since I think I can detect already how Laura Bailey does her younger characters. I know there was a period she was basically the female equivalent (or still is?) of Troy Baker showing up everywhere for her voice has ingrained itself in a bad way for me still she does do a good job, my case is over exposure.

I think Subaki and Siegbert have the same voice actor but don't quote me on that. Felicia and Setsuna on the other hand, I got nothing.

Finished conquest and almost done with Birthright and I'm gonna be honest.....Most of the voices are honestly horrible. I mean it's already irritating as hell that Nintendo thought it was an amazing idea NOT to let people have dual audio but then they also go and find horrible english voice actors for most of the voices.

For example, Camilla has that typical older sexy mature woman voice but the English voice is just....urgh. Horrible.

Elise, Xandar and Ryoma and many others also have fine voices but there are also many that are bad. For example I love my Selkie waifu but whatever they did with her voice, they should have dialed it down a notch.

So long story short, they could have done a better job, but it's acceptable. I'd say Awakaning had better voices.

While I don't agree with everything you said I will agree that Awakening definitely had a higher quality dub. Then again Awakening seemed to have a lot more A listers in its dub.

While I don't agree with everything you said I will agree that Awakening definitely had a higher quality dub. Then again Awakening seemed to have a lot more A listers in its dub.

Well maybe I'm a bit cranky cause I'm tired and sleepy. It's not like it's SO horrible. It's just yeah, compared to Awakening, which was the first FE game I played they have done some funny things with some of the voices in fates. I don't think that there is that typical "sexy mature onee-san" voice in English and Selkies voice isn't bad, but in some of her her sentences, if it wasn't for the sub I'd have had trouble understanding a few of her words. But I guess it could all be because they didn't have enough A listers as you said?

With the exception of Arthur, I didn't have a problem with anyone.

I can listen to Laslow reading the phone book.

That's what Liam O'Brien does to you. The guy's one of my favourite voice actors in any game or series. Whenever his voice pops up somewhere, I have a little fanboy moment.

That's what Liam O'Brien does to you. The guy's one of my favourite voice actors in any game or series. Whenever his voice pops up somewhere, I have a little fanboy moment.

Seriously. He is a part of my personal VA holy trinity along with Travis Willingham and Crispin Freeman.

I just realized that I never even gave my own thoughts. As I said in a previous thread, if I gave Awakening's cast an A, I'd like Fates a B+.

I liked the majority of voices, finding no problem with many of them. Effie's voice is really the only one I'd say I disliked, though I blame Treehouse primarily for that since I'm sure that Kris Salter (the voice director) and Marisha Ray (Effie's VA) were just following how they wrote her.

At the very least, Fates deserves credit for bringing in a lot of new and nontraditional VA's (Sarah Blandy, EG Daily, Roger Rose, Angela Marie Volpe, Briana Knickerbocker, Imari Williams, David Stanbra, Stephanie Lemelin, etc.)

I mean, I see people always complaining all over the Internet about getting tired of the Yuri Lowenthals and Laura Baileys of the world, yet whenever newer talent does come in, it's often criticized.

I think the voice acting for this game is great. I didn't play the Japanese game nor do I know what their voices sounded like, so I have no background knowledge.

My favourites are in no particular order:

Ryoma - Matthew Mercer. 'Nuff said. Same for Shigure (apparently, even though they sound NOTHING alike. Dude has amazing voice range)

Dude, have you ever watched Critical Role? Matt Mercer is the DM of this D&D game, and his vocal range is crazy. Look up Viktor the Black Powder Merchant for a good example.

People call Matt Mercer the "Discount Troy Baker" and I think that is an insult to his abilities as a VA. Personally, I think Troy Baker is a rather one note VA (seriously no offense to him) while Matt Mercer has quite the character voice range.

Dude, have you ever watched Critical Role? Matt Mercer is the DM of this D&D game, and his vocal range is crazy. Look up Viktor the Black Powder Merchant for a good example.

Fellow Critical Role watcher!

I adore Matthew Mercer to insane degrees. He has some of the best vocal range I've heard. Shigure, McCree, Kiritsugu Emiya, just about any role in CR... CR is especially a great showcase because he basically can do anything without being confined. It's so great.