SB and Paperblade Suffer: Pokemon (Jan 14: Part 61 up)

Paperblade

teaser1.png

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF POKEMON FANGAMES, THERE IS ONLY SUFFERING

Pokemon Reborn is a fangame made by the user Amethyst (aka Ame) from the Pokemon Reborn website (and probably a bunch of other people) that features Pokemon and moves from all generations (and no Fakemon, thank god - SB) and a completely new world...

Because Ruby Destiny wasn't enough, Paperblade got me to play this with him.

The game has some pretty silly writing, with the plot getting pretty stupid around the third gym or so, and it also apparently gets very difficult later on. Typical of any Pokemon fangame developer Amethyst also makes some very questionable decisions, but past the earlygame slog, it supposedly picks up afterwards. The writing is pretty funny if nothing else, and not in a "it's so bad I want to tear my eyes out" way, which is kind of refreshing for me.

This is going to be a video LP so that you can see our reactions to the gameplay live (and because having two people commentate on a text update seems like more trouble then it's worth). While I've has played the game before, SB hasn't and I'd would rather keep him clueless so his reactions to the dumb shit that takes place later on in the game will be better.

The first video is here:

[spoiler=VIDEO LIST]

58: End of the Li-WHAT THE FUCK %5Burl=https://youtu.be/bTf9tIefqcs%5D59: Absolutely Shocking%5B/url%5D

%5Burl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzxqAUc_ycc&index=65&list=PLDcs9aYmMG4gqI_E7R6SejXXL0Om5Xr7q%5D60: Don't Get Ahead of Yourself%5B/url%5D

%5Burl=https://youtu.be/v25wkrZNw8s%5D61: Refa Never Changes'>

%5Burl=https://youtu.be/bTf9tIefqcs%5D59: Absolutely Shocking%5B/url%5D

%5Burl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzxqAUc_ycc&index=65&list=PLDcs9aYmMG4gqI_E7R6SejXXL0Om5Xr7q%5D60: Don't Get Ahead of Yourself%5B/url%5D

%5Burl=https://youtu.be/v25wkrZNw8s%5D61: Refa Never Changes

Edited by Paperblade

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What even is this fangame.

I've heard some things about Reborn, but wow. Life on the edge is right. What even are your rivals? Is Cain so openly camp with you if you're a dude or gender neutral or does it become someone else who's openly flirty therefore ruining everything? Because if there's no camp there's a problem.

I'm kinda torn on the whole soft level cap thing with obedience being strictly badge regulated - on the one hand, no steamrolling the game. On the other... some people just like to steamroll in Pokémon, so...

Man, it's seeing stuff like this that makes me appreciate Colosseum more and more.

Adult checking in. :P:

I hope the entire mafia subforum is in that game by the time you guys are done~!

EDIT: Ame knows your info because she jacked it from you while you were distracted by the exploding train.

Edited by eclipse

HOW DARE THEY STEAL THE GREATEST SONG IN POKEMON HISTORY FOR THEIR CRAPPY-ASS HACK?

Seriously bough, good luck, and thanks for playing this so I don't have to.

It's not a hack you baka gaijin (don't take it seriously), it's made with Poke'mon Essentials.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this, I always thought Reborn was some kind of edgy masterpiece, but apparently it's not.

Well, it's probably the result of a bunch of easy to please internet reviewers. You know, the same people who put Ruby Destiny on top 5 best Pokemon hacks lists.

As much as I'm interested in hacks, I've played like, maybe one hack of Poke'mon that has it's own story and stuff , I don't know why and I should play more, but anyways, what's so bad with RD?

As much as I'm interested in hacks, I've played like, maybe one hack of Poke'mon that has it's own story and stuff , I don't know why and I should play more, but anyways, what's so bad with RD?

The hacker who made it isn't known for quality games.

Well, it's probably the result of a bunch of easy to please internet reviewers. You know, the same people who put Ruby Destiny on top 5 best Pokemon hacks lists.

TO BE FAIR in terms of overall quality Ruby Destiny probably was one of the best Pokemon hacks for several years. I give the game a lot of shit (that it kind of deserved) but it innovated a lot of things that weren't in hacking before (upgraded day night cycle, actually finished non-reskin, among other things I forget currently). I still think that Ruby Destiny is a better hack than the majority of Pokecommunity's.

If you can turn your brain off while playing RD (and don't mind hacking in rare candies for lategame) it's an alright game. If you struggle to do that, you have a problem.

TO BE FAIR in terms of overall quality Ruby Destiny probably was one of the best Pokemon hacks for several years. I give the game a lot of shit (that it kind of deserved) but it innovated a lot of things that weren't in hacking before (upgraded day night cycle, actually finished non-reskin, among other things I forget currently). I still think that Ruby Destiny is a better hack than the majority of Pokecommunity's.

If you can turn your brain off while playing RD (and don't mind hacking in rare candies for lategame) it's an alright game. If you struggle to do that, you have a problem.

Oooh, kind of like Gheb Saga?

From SB's lp? Stupid Earlygame, a horrifically self important story, and an awful level curve near the end.

Well I suppose, but then there are plenty of fanga,es better than it that don't get mentioned as much, like, say, Zeta and Omnicron. And then you get the reviewers saying that the story is GOOD...

Oooh, kind of like Gheb Saga?

I'm pretty sure Gheb Saga has always been considered terrible.

The biggest thing to remember about Pokemon fandoms is that they're Pokemon fandoms, aka most of them are kids tend to be less critical of mistakes as a whole.

Edited by SB.

The train already exploded. Isn't that kind of excessive?

Nope.

The real bomber was let loose, and your personal info was stolen in the confusion. At this point, a train being nuked sounds like a normal Tuesday after work in Reborn.

Nope.

The real bomber was let loose, and your personal info was stolen in the confusion. At this point, a train being nuked sounds like a normal Tuesday after work in Reborn.

Wait, what the heck happened in the mafia forum? I though you guys played some kind of bluffing game there???

Wait, what the heck happened in the mafia forum? I though you guys played some kind of bluffing game there???

THats not what happened in the mafia forum, thats what happened in the hack.

I'm fairly sure that Cain's dialogue doesn't change based on your gender.

I will confirm this

[spoiler=Cain's sexuality because this totally matters]Cain is bisexual or something

Also I believe all battle themes are remixes of the main games' battle themes

Episode 2 and 3 b o y s

SB convinced me to shorten individual videos to around 20 minutes so that it's easier for people to watch

I'm gonna try to refrain from general commentary on the game for now since I've played up to the end of... episode 12 I want to say?

I will say that overall I think this game is much better than something like Ruby Destiny and arguably even maybe a good game, but the plot is comically bad and some of the design decisions are really questionable.

Edited by Paperblade

Paperblade, you spoil us.

So Cain is a big enough bi. ...For you.

Oh, having the very first rando Trainer have a Bidoof with Moody. Because that's good game design. (then again Speed Boost Torchic for a starter...)

Doxies? Uh-huh. Lovely.

So many free handouts. Almost defeats the purpose of this locale being grim and gloomy. Early game slog is right. 4 parts and there's been barely anything but grey. Have we finally found Pokémon Grey Version?