SB and Paperblade Suffer: Pokemon (Jan 14: Part 61 up)

Paperblade

Blaziken's attack missed!

Simipour's attack missed!

A critical hit!

Dewgong's attack missed!

The attack bounced off the mirror!

Ampharos hit itself in its confusion!

A critical hit!

Meowstic hit itself in its confusion!

SB and Paperblade hit themselves in frustration!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Serra styles herself to be a third-rate Elesa. tfw you're a jaded copy of one of my favorite Gym Leaders... :tangerinedry:

I have a feeling internally, this gave SB nasty flashbacks to Ruby Destiny. It's one thing to understand why evasion is frowned upon in competitive battling, but it's another to not do this.

Hey, that PokéMart kid mentioned Mysidia! See, Corey? You could've bought that Ruby Ring after all! Blue Planet confirmed! ' 3'

Can't have another badge within the span of 20 minutes of this fangame, silly Paperblade! What do you think you're trying to have, F-U-N?

(of course Dr. Sigmund would have Colress' battle theme - not that that's a bad thing, mind!)

Gym Leaders using their Pokémon outside of official battle to help kids? HAH, silly Paperbalde! What do you think you're trying to expect, L-O-G-I-C?

Princess just couldn't break the mold of being a damsel and had to bend her and Tanjela's will to knights... (wrecked by randos again gg) But it's okay, M'lady comes back with the finest of grace!

And then - *poof*

Local Steelix gets fucking evaporated. (though I do like that intro - felt rather Yoshi's Island for a moment)

"People in our family DON'T go down so easily~"

"what about your parents?"

%5E2B402B5895D30D541D84DA5E95E43DAAC7C1D

Such a sappy backstory for these kids that we most certainly needed, thanks a lot Reborn. But no tears now...

Saphira just hands you the mcguffins and makes you public Meteor enemy #1. Nice lady.

>part 37
>Route 1

something's very wrong with this picture

oh we get to beat up Fern again, all is forgiven

That game never ceases to surprises me...

Oh god, this just like the Mewtwo battle in Super Mystery Dungeon, except somehow more insane... (At least you don't have to do it twice.)

Also :

We have the keys!

Ah, it was only a matter of time before Poké-telepathy would be on the table. So does Gardevoir have trouble projecting her thoughts in Japanese?

aw, having two Trainers battle a Gym at the same time in doubles would have actually been different! Alas...

...Wait, going back to Midgar already? No, that's not how you do this, Reborn! (I mean come on, we gotta wait for Dialga WEAPON first!)

Guys, we didn't really need this talk about gender neutrality and pronouns - a pretentious twat has kidnapped a Pokémon, I think that take priority.

OH. F-A-I-R A-N-D B-A-L-A-N-C-E-D gameplay! But never fear, we have the God-slaying Rock!

Pokémon Reborn - Revenge of the Padding. No thanks to you, Gardevoir.

...Excuse me? And now we end by suddenly getting meta with no trace of irony?

This game scares me.

You know in Final Fantasy games or in that one JRPG you like, there's that one super obnoxious sidequest that's out of the way, needlessly tedious and/or arbitrary, and offers not that great a payoff? Pokémon Reborn nailed that one here. And it shows why Pokémon doesn't really do things like that in the official games.

With regards to the story so far, I have to agree with a lot of Paperblade's sentiments - credit is where it's due, it at least tries to tell a story, but it's so laughably inept one can't help but laugh when things go awry, whether it be due to the nature of Pokémon's medium(e.g. Gym Leaders not having means of defending themselves all of a sudden outside or battle) or just questionable or bad points in general(the overall tryhard dark tone of the story, setting, and characters). Its pacing is also so ass backwards is that it hurts the immersion. The current story is set up in a Third Line, Some Waiting structure, with your badge quest, Team Meteor's shenanigans, and the entirety of the Orphan subplot shuffling back and forth, but there's so much padding between each one that it feels a heck of a lot more like Four Lines, All Waiting - because nothing's really happening in between arcs.

I kinda feel the same way in how SB mentions that Ruby Destiny could have been so much more had the competent programming been used for more competent execution to create that much better of a product - Reborn definitely has spots of this here and there. I don't know how well Pokémon Essentials works when it comes to programming, but from what I've seen of these videos, it's a solid engine. If Amethyst had some more competent ideas and execution, Reborn could have been really solid. But now it's just really cheesy.

(also confirmed - Victoria is a witch)

You know in Final Fantasy games or in that one JRPG you like, there's that one super obnoxious sidequest that's out of the way, needlessly tedious and/or arbitrary, and offers not that great a payoff? Pokémon Reborn nailed that one here. And it shows why Pokémon doesn't really do things like that in the official games.

With regards to the story so far, I have to agree with a lot of Paperblade's sentiments - credit is where it's due, it at least tries to tell a story, but it's so laughably inept one can't help but laugh when things go awry, whether it be due to the nature of Pokémon's medium(e.g. Gym Leaders not having means of defending themselves all of a sudden outside or battle) or just questionable or bad points in general(the overall tryhard dark tone of the story, setting, and characters). Its pacing is also so ass backwards is that it hurts the immersion. The current story is set up in a Third Line, Some Waiting structure, with your badge quest, Team Meteor's shenanigans, and the entirety of the Orphan subplot shuffling back and forth, but there's so much padding between each one that it feels a heck of a lot more like Four Lines, All Waiting - because nothing's really happening in between arcs.

I kinda feel the same way in how SB mentions that Ruby Destiny could have been so much more had the competent programming been used for more competent execution to create that much better of a product - Reborn definitely has spots of this here and there. I don't know how well Pokémon Essentials works when it comes to programming, but from what I've seen of these videos, it's a solid engine. If Amethyst had some more competent ideas and execution, Reborn could have been really solid. But now it's just really cheesy.

(also confirmed - Victoria is a witch)

I actually think Gym Leader shouldn't even be there. It should be the main quest, but ends up the most artificial part of the story, adding padding to padding (also, while the Level Cap may seems like good idea on paper, it's conflicting with every other game design decisions.)

I have no idea where the story is trying to go (not sure even Amethyst knows, tbh...), but it seems to be added more by convention than anything else (which I find sad coming for .

The main Problem Pokemon Reborn have is that it isn't a single game. It's too many games on one (Same thing could be said for gameplay. Tons of ideas thrown together in a grotesque Frankenstein of a game.).

Yeah, see, I think that the gym stuff is mostly pointless and just serves to confuse things. Like, it's implied that having the badges is important for some reason by Anna, but I have this feeling the reason won't be satisfying and it'll be more like "You need this badge to use Strength because game mechanics". I should probably also mention that most of the characters are based on people Ame knew from the old Reborn League, which was some Pokemon Online thing? I think it's like, every important NPC except for some of the Meteor dudes that are this way.

That said, I will say that Pokemon Reborn is sort of like a guilty pleasure for me. Some of the gameplay choices are questionable, but I like that the game is actually challenging (compared to, say, the gen6 games) and the events to get pokemon are pretty cool when they aren't Route 1. I guess my issues are that the love of puzzles is sort of weird sometimes, there's a lot of areas with puzzles and no trainers despite this being a pokemon game. That, and areas more dense in enemy trainers either have them be threatening enough that you start to really want to run back to a pokemon center, or you have a partner and heal after every fight so it's just an EXP-fest.

Anyway

I've been out of this action for a hot minute, mostly due to trying to fend off personal issues and stress - but no longer!

Cults, stealth, and holy field effects, oh my! (also every time you reboot the game and I hear the music during the maze escape, I can't help but hear the Mario Bros. arcade stage intro. Those beeps...) Christ this game is so bloated with self-indulgent grandstanding dialogue and events that have no place in Pokémon.

Even Luna, someone intentionally edgy, is still way more edgelady than she has any right to be. Why can't you just be like Marley and be a goth chick who likes fast 'Mons?

Oh, we've hit the point where Paperblade's foresight has run out? [rubs hands together] dis gon b gud

Look out! We've encountered AOL Instant Messenger circa 2003 in character form! Quick, uninstall her, maybe she'll go away!

Agate Circus doesn't even have Agate Village from Colo/XD playing, 0/10 would not live in

I'll watch part 45 later...