TMS #FE Review Compilation Thread

I'm not good at writing reviews, but is it okay to simply say that I'm really enjoying the game?

The gameplay is amazing and I'm enjoying the Idol stuff more than I thought I would.

I really like the little details such as referring to the party as Main Cast, starting a New Game is called debut, Equipment is called Wardrobe and so on. It's a really neat detail.

yeah I honestly didn't expect it.

I knew I would enjoy the gameplay since the E3 2015 reveal but the battle mechanics are actually pretty good. The small little cameo references are adorable and honestly the idol stuff while is part of the main theme is pretty subtle. At first I thought I wouldn't like Tsubasa but I'm starting to warm up to her.

Edited by kingddd

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I played the game, I realized how much people are being unfair to it.

I knew that before, but I think it's something you only really realize when play the game. When actually experience it, you realize how well made this game was.

It's a classic case of judging a book by it's cover.

As I played the game, I realized how much people are being unfair to it.

I knew that before, but I think it's something you only really realize when play the game. When actually experience it, you realize how well made this game was.

It's a classic case of judging a book by it's cover.

This sums up my feelings on the game perfectly.

Are you here solely to trash the game? Feel free to dislike it, but reaction images/videos aren't constructive in the slightest.

Anyway, the game plays like Persona, which is a wonderful thing. My all-consuming love of music is also really helping. I actually prefer the idols and idol aesthetic to if this game tried to be annoying and grim and colorless like mainline SMT. People say this is Persona x F, but that's a good thing. Mainline SMT is way too grimdark. I love anime antics, so this is right up my alley.

Edited by Ms. Bunch

I think you will be in for a fun ride and your mindset will be rewarded. The most common "criticism" I have heard about this game is that it's not SMT ro FE and/or is a Persona ripoff. Granted, Nintendo has some fault for marketing in as a crossover in the beginning, but they rectified this and now it's a standalone game. And if actual players and gaming sites think it's good, it's safe to say the game at least merits a playthrough. One definitive negative game is Mighty No. 9, which has been lambasted by any and all and now I am pretty sure I won't buy that game at all.

On another note, is there anybody here who is planning on doing a small (and serious) review of the game ? It's maybe pointless since most are positive towards it anyway but it's good to know the impressions from a fellow (and serious) FE gamer.

Gotta thank the FE series for that mindset. I was kinda unsure of the game at first with the whole "permadeath" thing as a kid, but I gave it a shot and now it's one of my favorite video game series of all time.

I try to always keep that in mind when trying out new games(unless the game just isn't my thing, like FPS's...minus Metroid Prime, or doesn't interests me enough) because "this game could be another FE" or something close along those lines!

Also, isn't it ironic that the game everyone was looking at and had such popularity kinda fell short, but the game that has kinda been shunned by a good amount of people has turned out to be such a great game. The gaming world can be cruel sometimes...(Not hating on Mighty No.9, but what the game is is what the game is. Plain and simple).

At least I still got Bloodstained, Shantae:Half Genie Hero, and Hat in Time to hope for(and I know that Bloodstained is looking mighty well right now)! ;3

Edited by Busterman64

Are you here solely to trash the game? Feel free to dislike it, but reaction images/videos aren't constructive in the slightest.
Anyway, the game plays like Persona, which is a wonderful thing. My all-consuming love of music is also really helping. I actually prefer the idols and idol aesthetic to if this game tried to be annoying and grim and colorless like mainline SMT. People say this is Persona x F, but that's a good thing. Mainline SMT is way too grimdark. I love anime antics, so this is right up my alley.
Smug arrogance? I suppose it fits the persona which I project in this most hallowed shrine. As to the subject of TMS # FE being a crossover of FE and Persona, it is in gameplay only. The most important elements of both these series (their story, themes, and characters) have been wholly abandoned in pursuit of clichéd mediocrity to apple to the lowest common denominator. The sales in Japan indicate that Atlas failed in this manner. However, to write this game as a complete failure would be unjust. The music is entertaining to listen to and the gameplay is fun. It is problematic, however, that for the music one does not need to buy the game to enjoy it, instead having the option to listen to it via CDs or on Youtube. As for the gameplay, while ultimately depending on the player, the lack of extra features such as demon/Persona negotiations and fusing hamper the game's repayablity do to the lump wristed story and characters. Say what you will about SMT being to grimdark, but in a subgenre awash in hegemonic themes of the most clichéd order (I.e.. Bonds are magically and will save everything), SMT stands as a series with actual substance dealing with the conflicting nature of religion and its hold on people.

Feel free to burn me in effigy at any time convenient to your schedule.

MODEDIT: yo don't doublepost or be a dick, these are both against the rules

Edited by Integrity

Smug arrogance? I suppose it fits the persona which I project in this most hallowed shrine. As to the subject of TMS # FE being a crossover of FE and Persona, it is in gameplay only. The most important elements of both these series (their story, themes, and characters) have been wholly abandoned in pursuit of clichéd mediocrity to apple to the lowest common denominator. The sales in Japan indicate that Atlas failed in this manner. However, to write this game as a complete failure would be unjust. The music is entertaining to listen to and the gameplay is fun. It is problematic, however, that for the music one does not need to buy the game to enjoy it, instead having the option to listen to it via CDs or on Youtube. As for the gameplay, while ultimately depending on the player, the lack of extra features such as demon/Persona negotiations and fusing hamper the game's repayablity do to the lump wristed story and characters. Say what you will about SMT being to grimdark, but in a subgenre awash in hegemonic themes of the most clichéd order (I.e.. Bonds are magically and will save everything), SMT stands as a series with actual substance dealing with the conflicting nature of religion and its hold on people.

I love cliches and I hate "substance" SMT's religious themes are pretentious and boring compared to what you call "hegemonic." I think friendship is the most important thing in the world. I'd rather play a feel good game for the lowest coon denominator, which I am, than something for "intellectuals"

I love cliches and I hate "substance" SMT's religious themes are pretentious and boring compared to what you call "hegemonic." I think friendship is the most important thing in the world. I'd rather play a feel good game for the lowest coon denominator, which I am, than something for "intellectuals"

That's not really a strong rebuttal.

You should have started your criticisms this way, instead of what you were doing. But I don't see anything that warrants "Glorified mediocrity" in that, at all.

"The most important elements of both these series (their story, themes, and characters) have been wholly abandoned in pursuit of clichéd mediocrity to apple to the lowest common denominator" highly subjective, and if you have to use that kind of qualifiers to describe what you don't like without any kind of respect or empathy for people who do, it's more telling about you than it is about the thing you are qualifying. And the inequation that you are trying to promote : Dark Serious Story > Lighthearted Story is wrong (Red > Blue), there isn't any kind of superiority between one another.

"The sales in Japan indicate that Atlas failed in this manner.", we now use sales to judge quality of games, I don't think I have to write anything to make you realize how wrong this is.

"However, to write this game as a complete failure would be unjust. The music is entertaining to listen to and the gameplay is fun. It is problematic, however, that for the music one does not need to buy the game to enjoy it, instead having the option to listen to it via CDs or on Youtube.", fair point for the music, but it's still available in game, so can entertain you in game too. I think it's probably better in game since you have all the elements of the game supporting the music and vice versa (the atmosphere, the cutscenes, etc...). Having access to the music outside of the game doesn't make the game any worst.

"As for the gameplay, while ultimately depending on the player, the lack of extra features such as demon/Persona negotiations and fusing hamper the game's repayablity do to the lump wristed story and characters.", what I've bolded also absolutely applies to your first point, but for some reason didn't mention that at the time. It also applies to this one point and any potential part of the game as well. The game is as replayable as any classic JRPG, you have a straight story line and side quests in your first playthrought, and more difficulty options and a few specifics ng+ challenges. I don't see how demon/persona negotiation add any kind of replayability. Also see my first comment on your qualifiers, for some reason, you managed to say that appreciation depends on the player, yet aren't able to see that you are yourself subject to that.

"Say what you will about SMT being to grimdark, but in a subgenre awash in hegemonic themes of the most clichéd order (I.e.. Bonds are magically and will save everything), SMT stands as a series with actual substance dealing with the conflicting nature of religion and its hold on people."

See first point. Dark games are extremely frequent, based on religion less, but what does this have to do with #FE ? If it's a SMT game you want to play, you can go play one.

So ultimately, it was more constructive than I could have hoped, yet nothing I see in any of your arguments (sorry, didn't watch the video, I really don't want to inflict myself that again) that "demonstrate" mediocrity. Just you making judgements on people's tastes, trying to put your owns as superior and non mediocre.

If you intend to go on, I can't really prevent you, but your mind is set, so is mine (and probably most people we'll both try to argue with). There isn't really any kind of conversation, debate or anything going on, it's just a waste of time on both sides so I think I'm done after this.

Gotta thank the FE series for that mindset. I was kinda unsure of the game at first with the whole "permadeath" thing as a kid, but I gave it a shot and now it's one of my favorite video game series of all time.

I try to always keep that in mind when trying out new games(unless the game just isn't my thing, like FPS's...minus Metroid Prime, or doesn't interests me enough) because "this game could be another FE" or something close along those lines!

Also, isn't it ironic that the game everyone was looking at and had such popularity kinda fell short, but the game that has kinda been shunned by a good amount of people has turned out to be such a great game. The gaming world can be cruel sometimes...(Not hating on Mighty No.9, but what the game is is what the game is. Plain and simple).

At least I still got Bloodstained, Shantae:Half Genie Hero, and Hat in Time to hope for(and I know that Bloodstained is looking mighty well right now)! ;3

Even if it's ironic, this is how things should be. You can hype things as much as you want, if it ends up bad, it ends up bad. If it's good, it's good. I'm not putting any judgement on Mighty No.9 since I haven't played the game and am not really interested, it's just sad to see all the people interested in the game disappointed. There are plenty of platformers, but probably not many of that special kind (Megaman-like if I'm not mistaken).

Edited by Avk

That's not really a strong rebuttal.

And your beginning argument was not strong either. It boils down to, "this is not FE and it is not SMT". True. Despite its name, TMS#FE has only influence but cannot place itself in either of the series truly. But there are plenty of games out there that is not SMT nor FE that are good because of the game itself. People have their own preferences and I see that this game does not match yours. But this thread is to give impressions of the game from reviewers and SF players, to reason of why its good and/or why its bad. If all you want to do is complain of why this game isn't the grimdark atmosphere you expected, please leave and open your own ranting thread.

I'm not good at writing reviews, but is it okay to simply say that I'm really enjoying the game?

The gameplay is amazing and I'm enjoying the Idol stuff more than I thought I would.

I really like the little details such as referring to the party as Main Cast, starting a New Game is called debut, Equipment is called Wardrobe and so on. It's a really neat detail.

Hehe, that's all and well. You can see that most of us here are positive to it after all and I at least like to hear the little details that makes the game good curse you inconvenient Swedish holiday for making my copy delayed.

The hyped games are often the ones that fall short because fans can sometimes have too unrealistic expectations. Like for example with Fates. IS only delivered half of what they promised (engaging gameplay) and so Fates is forever stained with a horrid plot because fans came to expect some kind of Nintendo Game of Thrones. That said, Mighty No. 9 had actually poor quality in all departments, likely due to bad directions and lack of proper communications, as well as pressure from a release, basing solely that gamers would buy it for "make Mega Man great again". At least Inafune owed up to his faults.

Games like TMS#FE that go under the radar allows people to enter it with a fresh mindset (if they aren't narrow-minded) and just enjoy the game for what it is. It might be bad, it might be good, it might come as a complete surprise and you love it. I always like such games because it proves the developers have done a good job.

I might. So far 3 and a half hours into the game. I am really enjoying the game and I'm currently playing hard mode too.

I love you avatar :D

And your beginning argument was not strong either. It boils down to, "this is not FE and it is not SMT". True. Despite its name, TMS#FE has only influence but cannot place itself in either of the series truly. But there are plenty of games out there that is not SMT nor FE that are good because of the game itself. People have their own preferences and I see that this game does not match yours. But this thread is to give impressions of the game from reviewers and SF players, to reason of why its good and/or why its bad. If all you want to do is complain of why this game isn't the grimdark atmosphere you expected, please leave and open your own ranting thread.

I think the thing about that complaint "this is not FE or SMT" is that it misses the point of the game entirely. Wanna know what else isn't SMT? Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, Persona, Digital Devil Saga, all of them spin-offs of SMT but aren't actually SMT. The point of those games isn't to be more SMT, because that is lazy and boring. Same thing with TMS; it uses both franchises to create something different, like how putting together dough, tomato sauce, and cheese makes pizza. Heck, the devs tried to just make a straight strategy game and then realized "Wait a second, this is redundant as hell" and instead utilized their strengths while keeping both series in mind to make something completely different. And like I've said elsewhere, this will no doubt keep going into other Nintendo crossovers.

If the points are solid and properly established, a bit of grammatical flubbery shouldn't be too tough to swallow

Hey Elie, since you've got a wee bit more weight when you say stuff like this. . .you gotta make sure that you encourage good behavior!

Which means that coming into a review topic just to shit on a game isn't cool. I don't mind well-structured criticism, but it must be done tastefully.

Once I'm done making my rounds on SF, I'm gonna crack open my copy. RL has been way too busy!

I've been ruminating upon the discussion that has taken place on this forum over the last few days and wish to apologize for my disruptive behaviour. While I'm still not a huge fan of this game, I feel that I let my own bias get the better of me. Also, I was wrong about many aspects of the game (such as my view on the gameplay), and could have done a better job articulating and expanding my issues with TMS # FE.

Edited by wraith

I've been ruminating upon the discussion that has taken place on this forum over the last few days and wish to apologize for my disruptive behaviour. While I'm still not a huge fan of this game, I feel that I let my own bias get the better of me. Also, I was wrong about many aspects of the game (such as my view on the gameplay), and could have done a better job articulating and expanding my issues with TMS # FE.

While it's probably not my position to judge, I still personally think your post was very mature and I welcome such behaviour. You are entitled to your own opinions and I would not mind hearing about them as long as they're cohesive and fair-spoken. Thank you for your civility.

Hey Elie, since you've got a wee bit more weight when you say stuff like this. . .you gotta make sure that you encourage good behavior!

You're right! "I" before "E", except after "C", unless sounded like "A" as in neighbor and weigh!

Semi-colons seperate independent clauses!

Spell numbers smaller than 11 entirely, unless referring to ages, percentages, ratios, dates and monetary amounts!

This is very appreciated. It's hard to look at games for what they are when they are brought up with expectations to be a certain kind of game (Final Fantasy 8 and Mighty No. 9 get this quite a bit). It's a difficult bias to get around, and acknowledging it helps make you a better reviewer. I understand your feelings towards the game, and feel like maybe your expectations were just let down. If the game were not advertised as a SMT / FE crossover, and it were just -a new game by ATLUS-, I have a hunch that your review would've gone differently. That's ok though, because we get a feel for what you enjoy and what you compare it to, to give it its rating.

Hey, apologies are welcome~!

I suggest viewing this game as its own thing. This game has good points and bad points, and I can list them if you so choose. Since I don't think buying something you're unhappy about is wise, maybe watch a Let's Play, to get a feel for things like the battle system. If there's one thing TMS#FE gets right, it's keeping me on my toes!

Though I am just in the beginning phase of the game, I must say I am pleasantly surprised of the combat system.

Specifically the use of Sessions, because (at least in Hard mode) the enemies hit HARD and repeated battles with tanking will leave your party exhausted (well, you can teleport out, heal and go back in but where is the fun in that) so I had to repeatedly study the enemies weakness in order to trigger the Session attacks as well as keeping an eye on the turn order to minimize rounds of attacks against my party (the GamePad is very useful for this). But what really waked me up was when the mini-buss in the second dungeon one-shotted Itsuki and Tsubasa with their OWN Session attacks and I had to switch up with Guarding the party members with the weaknesses (Guard prevents Session attacks) as well as whittling down the enemy party to remove the follow-up attacks at the least.

And then I got a nasty surprise again when I changed Itsuki's Carnage Unity (the game's equippable weapon which allots skills to the character's when leveled up) and got completely schooled when the enemy targeted a weakness that Itsuki didn't have before, but was added due to the Carnage Unity. Completely missed checking that.

The idea of Carnage Unity does promote some anti-grinding as well, since, despite leveling up, the characters won't learn new skills unless they have a Carnage they haven't mastered yet. And in this game, skills are more important since regular attacks does almost pathetically minimal damage and good combination of skills will allow you to even defeat the stronger enemies (i.e. the Savage Mirages).

I have only played 5 hours into the game but I found the gameplay very intriguing and kept me on my toes. While some may or may not like the theme in the game (idols and stuffs), the gameplay definitely deserves praise for not just being any other JRPG.

• 1 month later...

So having finished the game once on Hard difficulty after 70+ hours, I wanted to give impressions of the game. My apologies for both double-posting and necroing but I figured it would be okay if I posted my impressions/review of the game here instead of creating a new topic.

I can safely say that TMS#FE blew beyond my expectations, particularly in its gameplay but also in the characters and their dynamics and interactions. Most FE elements are gratuitous and the overworld is lacking, but the rest is fantastic. And the music is gorgeous.

[spoiler=Battle System]

Starting with the strongest point (which I believe many agree on): The battle system. JRPGs tend to be very stagnant in the system, relying on stats (which in turn leads to level grinding) and buffing/debuffing those stats and it's possible to just barrel through the whole game with sheer brute force. This isn't the case with TMS#FE (at least on Hard mode) since the enemies are resilient and the playable characters, more than often, weak and if you follow the pacing of the game (i.e. not grinding unnecessarily much) even normal battles keep you on your toes. The interwoven mix of Sessions, buffing/debuffing, status-infliction, turn order and character switches in battles gave the game a strategic depth I did not expect.

The pace on how you learn the different elements in the game is well structured. Sessioned through your battles? Now YOU get Sessioned!

Superior stats? Get debuffed and feel the crits! Solid skills and team composition? Get Sealed/Charmed/Confused!

Though normal battles were fun and all, the challenge lie with the boss battles and more than often, I had to die once just to get a feel of the boss' tactics. You are punished if you think of just Sessioning your way to victory with a regard of your own team's defenses and switching out characters for various skills felt necessary. Arena battles had its own share of fun, since it had the added element of managing your resources as well when items and switching can't be used. But it eventually lead to some team compositions being better than others so it didn't have the same variety (especially for me who likes rotating the characters).

I will say however that, while the Ad-Lib performances looked cool and all, it's too unpredictable and favored the player too much. Sometimes AdLibs changed the pace of the battle entirely and there was no tactics about it, just luck.

And since I depended on the Session skills alot, the animation of all the stunts got boring quick. It's fun the first time to see them do acrobatics but the inability to skip or fastforward the animations annoyed me to no end.

Finally, the battle banters should have been subtitled. Most were easy to understand but others I didn't get all, which was unfortunate since it would otherwise add to the interaction between the Masters and their Mirages. For example, I understand "Give me your power, Cain!" "Got it!" between Touma and Cain since they used stock anime lines but I didn't get something Mamori said that made Draug shout. Some of the banters are unique as well depending on the costumes (Dark Yashiro's laugh, lol) but for the costumes that didn't have any story or sidestory relevance (DLC costumes, school costumes), I have no idea if there were any references or jokes at all.

[spoiler=Overworld]

Now the other part of JRPGs is of course world exploration and at this part, TMS#FE fails. The areas you can walk around in Tokyo are limited and there is nothing noticeable. I have never been to Tokyo myself but the game gives the impressions that it's all just buildings and shops and nothing else. The aesthetics in Tokyo didn't change particularly much either, saturated in vivid colors throughout. It's too represent Tokyo's fondness of the performing arts, I get it, but I would have preferred to see more of Japan's other structures, like shrines. Considering Mamori is supposed to represent the old performing arts, it would still tie in with the game's thene.

The dungeons weren't particularly visually pleasing for me either. The ones that stood out were Daitou TV and the last dungeon (especially the last one) but otherwise I have too many memories of racing around the confusing corridors, unable to enjoy the environment at all. The puzzles were uninspiring and frustrating. It didn't stimulate me because the puzzles were simple yet felt like chores.

[spoiler=Main Story]

There was less of a coherent story and more of a collection of stories of Fortuna's gang in the entertainment industry while at same time battling Mirages. On the plus side, it gives more spotlight to all the characters but on the other, the Mirages comes off as generic and being merely there for the character's growth. Chapter 5 and 6 does subvert it a little, with the former showing that the enemy Mirages have the same love (if twisted) for entertainment and the latter focusing more on the main antagonistic Mirage, the only enemy Mirage who has goal and personality (though even that is underdeveloped).

The existence of Mirages and their war isn't particularly prominent until chapter 6. I enjoyed the last chapter and wished the story revolving around them had stretched out over the game instead of being so condensed.

[spoiler=Characters]

The game benefitted from having such a small cast of characters and the side stories (plus their importance in the main story) gave them alot of screentime for growth and development. On the outside, the characters are not particularly distinctive, fulfilling a character archetype or another, but I was genuinely surprised by how some of them turned out in the end. Kiria goes from an aloof, cool girl to someone who is not restrained by the personality spectrum and ultimately becomes happier and more expressive for it. Yashiro plays around with this a bit. He initially comes off as cold and aloof as well but all his side stories are mostly comedic, especially when his hamminess is highlighted. Yet he is still the same (Master actor or an actual dork?). The fact that other characters interacted in the side stories as well (instead of him/her and Itsuki) added to group dynamics of the Fortuna kids.

Itsuki actually became my favorite despite him coming off as somewhat bland in the beginning, since he lacked the drive and motivation of other characters. But he comes off as clever and level-headed and though he has no role as an idol, he becomes quite a capable Mirage Master, something reflected in the gameplay. But what I enjoyed the most is the flavor choices you get, where I played Itsuki as a real dork sometimes ("You sing the anime theme, Touma, because it and your show both airs on Sunday!" laughed too much) and I can only imagine how it is for his friends, when whenever Itsuki opens his mouth, it can either be words of wisdom or a boneheaded proposition.

(Also I ship Itsuki x Ellie because her last side story, nuff said. The only time I chose to be an ass to see the responses and then reloaded for a genuine dialogue.)

The Mirages get way too little focus though. Sometimes we get dialogue between them and Itsuki in Bloom Palace but they are few and far inbetween. You could have switched the Mirages for any other similar archetype in the FE type and it wouldn't change anything in the interactions. I suspect they were merely there for fanservice since if you didn't know their hidden personality before, this game will only give you a very shallow impression of them.

Also Ayaha gets completely thrown under the bus. No anything at all for her, a shame.

[spoiler=Music]

Of the BGMs, only

and
were enjoyable to listen to in battle. But the vocal tracks are frankly gorgeous, which I did not expect from J-Pop. I expected most would sound like Reincarnation, which, while not inherently bad, sounded like standard pop to me. But instead there was a variety of songs and feelings embedded in them. My particular favorites are Yashiro's "Under the moon" and the Tsubasa's "Fly", due to the strong feelings they elicited in me (nostalgia and liveliness respectively). Adding to that, the music videos were beautifully animated.

Serves to remind me that J-Pop is not just anime theme songs, it's a whole spectrum of different emotions.

Closing thoughts: TMS#FE is a fantastic game on its own but I feel was hurt because it didn't pander enough to the fanbases. Though I can name better RPGs, TMS was definitely worth my time and it's good to have a game with a lighter tone now that we are saturated with game rooted in grimness. It didn't try to be something it wasn't (looking at you Fates) and instead delivered the tone we (that saw beyond the first teaser) expected while adding a surprisingly deep and engaging gameplay element with a fun cast.

Though I doubt there will be a sequel, I do hope Atlus will at least keep making RPGs for Nintendo home consoles.