Power Master's Power Master Thread

Alex95

[spoiler=Musicians]

Music helps set the tone for games. When players are questing, they need good adventuring music. When they're battling a tough enemy, they need energetic music playing in the background.

Included on this page is a sample .midi file of how I want the main theme for Power Master 2 to sound like. Be warned, though, it's... not very good. Your job is to remix the song your way and then send it to <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script> (or by any other means) where it will be evaluated and possibly chosen. Record it either as an .ogg or .midi file so it can be read properly by the development program. Multiple people can be chosen for this role. Send the email with the subject being "PM2 Main Theme."

As this is our first foray into the world of hiring musical talent, you will be working for peanuts…. possibly literally. However, you will get a free download code for the game once it is released and your name will be listed in the credits. If we make it big, I’ll be sure to send you extra peanuts.

By submitting your music, you are agreeing to let me use it in both the game and promotional material. A production timeline and full list of the music required will be given to those chosen.

The demo submission deadline will be August 31st, 2016 12pm PST. After that point, no more submissions will be accepted. Click here for the sound file.

[spoiler=Other Ideas]

Don't want your voice to be heard? Or maybe you're not much of a musician? (That's okay, I'm not either) But maybe you have an idea you've wanted to see in a game, but just couldn't get it in one. Then this is the opportunity for you!

To submit your idea, send it (or by any other means) where it will be evaluated and possibly chosen. The idea can be just about anything! Quests, characters, items! If what you send in can work, it will be added! Lots of people can be accepted for this role! Label the email with the idea that you are sending in, such as "New Quest" or "New Character."

Please refrain from submitting copyrighted content. Ideas based off of existing materials are fine, but they cannot outright come from the existing material. For example, you can't say "I want Link from The Legend of Zelda to find this item!" Such a request will not be accepted. Furthermore, sent in characters will not be added to the game's party full time. They will simply be an additional character to the game, who can join the party for a short while if need be, and will be given generic voice overs, unless you provide some of your own through the Voice Actors thread.

If your idea is used, your name will be listed in the credits and you will receive a discount code to use with your purchase of the game once it is released.

By submitting your idea, you are agreeing to let me use it in both the game and promotional material. You will be notified via email if your submission is accepted and used in the game. Please keep your ideas at an "E Rating" or below. No sexual content or half-naked/fully-naked characters and no vulgar language. You will be notified if an idea is unacceptable.

The deadline will be August 31st, 2016 12pm PST. After that point, no more submissions will be accepted.

Messaging me through here also works. Questions? Post them here or here: http://power-master.wikia.com/wiki/Board:News_and_Announcements

I'm pretty much just getting things together right now. Only have the first town partially completed and some characters done. I'm doing mostly everything from scratch this time, all new resources, which gives me a LOT of room to work with! Game is set before the events of Power Master 1, but any idea will fly so long as I can get it to work. That is, the system actually allows me to do so.

Go crazy.

Edited by Power Master

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully I'll be able to provide payment if I can get that worked out. What, you don't want peanuts?

And no. "E" or below, please.

Edited by Power Master

And no. "E" or below, please.

I don't get how your primary teenage cast is going to act in a manner that is "E" or below.

I don't get how your primary teenage cast is going to act in a manner that is "E" or below.

Fantasy Violence, Comic Mischief... I looked it up, it makes sense (at least to me).

I can't be bothered to send anything via email so I'm just going to drop stuff here.

Kyle, Hamilton, Exitilus

Yes, thank you! I'm not feeling the first two, but I think you're a good fit for Exitilus, especially the improv line.

Perhaps sound a bit more evil if you can.

I'll pitch in with my two cents, apologies if it sounds rather muffled or low. Don't want the family to wake up dazed but I could try rerecording at another time. This is how I imagine their voice would be but hopefully if you think my voice fits another character feel free to tell me.

[spoiler=Kyle] http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HfEqjVVKHz

[spoiler=Hamilton] http://vocaroo.com/i/s0gQuYbH7ln6

[spoiler=Marvin] http://vocaroo.com/i/s05FayxpCSrm

I could try them again if you find one of them acceptable. Hope for the best on this project your undertaking.

I find my contralto voice ill suited for this kind of stuff, but my husband loves it, maybe I can get him to do some stuff, would that be okay?

I'll offer some voices since I find this kind of thing fun!

Merlina, Jennifer, Sarhara, Red Mage, Blue Mage, Green Mage

Aside from the mic noises, I love these ones! Well done!

Saying Merlina's been deceived her whole life may be a bit much, though.

I'll pitch in with my two cents, apologies if it sounds rather muffled or low. Don't want the family to wake up dazed but I could try rerecording at another time. This is how I imagine their voice would be but hopefully if you think my voice fits another character feel free to tell me.

[spoiler=Kyle] http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HfEqjVVKHz

[spoiler=Hamilton] http://vocaroo.com/i/s0gQuYbH7ln6

[spoiler=Marvin] http://vocaroo.com/i/s05FayxpCSrm

I could try them again if you find one of them acceptable. Hope for the best on this project your undertaking.

Yeah, you may need to redo these ones. They're good, but there's a ton of mic noises. Perhaps it'd be better to record once everyone's awake :P

I find my contralto voice ill suited for this kind of stuff, but my husband loves it, maybe I can get him to do some stuff, would that be okay?

Sure! I'll need all the help I can get!

Just so you know, you don't have to do the voices in one take. You can do as many tries as you need until you think you got it right!

Edited by Power Master

Figured you guys might want some screenshots of the game you're working towards.

marvin__beta__by_powermaster64-da7j1yp.p

cora__beta__by_powermaster64-da7j1y8.png

house__beta__by_powermaster64-da7j1yh.pn

I'm going for an 8-bit "retro" look meets hand-drawn story elements. I'm doing all the spriting, writing, and eventing here and, even with just the one town so far, I think it's coming along fairly well. However, there's no music and I want voices to help bring my game to life. I'm also trying to record sound effects, but my recording equipment's crap. But I'll keep working on that.

In case you're wondering, I myself do provide voices for two characters: my in-game self and a tournament goer.

ok I know I joked up the thread earlier because I like to have fun and hey, we have fun here but it's 4:00 am and I can't sleep worth heck so I'm gonna be a nice fella and give you some constructive advice.

I don't know much my good man, but I do know art™.

I think what you're going for in terms of aesthetic direction is interesting (re: handdrawn meets retro) however at the moment everything lacks a sort of unified stylistic polish. There's something about the pixel art that, at the moment, doesn't read "8 bit" to me but rather MS PAINT. Now my gut reaction is that it's either the colour palette which seems a bit too detailed to be properly 8-bit...

NES_Palette.png

if you compare the screenshots you posted to the NES's colour palette, which is very limited. Some of the tones there are quite similar so it might be the other element I'll get to that's throwing me off, but maybe sticking to a similar one might be more in line with the look you're going for?

Either way, the other thing™ that's throwing me off on the pixel art is the stark, 1px thick black outlines around (almost) everything. Black lineart is good for clarity, but if you look at the pixel artstyle used in older 8 bit games you find that they didn't use them very often, but rather used varients of the other tones to add depth and dimension to objects, like this:

d749aa1dcc.png

full disclosure: this is probably too detailed to be a genuine NES era object and I made it in 10 minutes but it shows my point so I'm gonna leave it here?

As for the hand drawn elements... I'm gonna be a bit blunt and say that they look a little bit amateur. I think it might be a bit easier for you if you were to use digital art rendered in a way that looked like traditional media (think games like Yoshi's Island on the SNES). If you DO choose to continue with traditional images, I just have a few pointers:

• Make sure the scanning and colour balance is impeccable. In your examples they seem a bit washed out, with the colours and lines not really standing out. If you can, edit the scanned elements in gimp using the curves/ levels and colour/ contrast tools to ensure that your colours are as true to life as possible. (A good rule of thumb is to play with the curves tool until any whites in the picture are a true white, and then play with the levels and contrast until everything isn't too eye-searingly bright)
  • try adding more dynamic shading! the illustrations are a bit flat at the moment. keep your light source in mind and play with contrast, shadow and texture!
  • keep the colour palettes close to the ones in the pixel art to make sure everything is consistent.
  • try to vary your style a bit more. at this point, both character portraits are very samey. A good rule of thumb is that each character should be recognizable if they were naked and bald. Try varying skintone, eye shape, face shape, height, weight, nose shape, brow shape, etc. I can see the attempt there, just don't be afraid to push it!
  • just some general anatomy + style tips on a redline because i'm better at visually explaining things: (http://puu.sh/pE8QG/d51ba73856.png)

at any rate, good luck from the local neighbourhood art gay™. hope things go well for your project!

Edited by ✿Deku✿

Okay, so it might not be exactly 8-bit. It's really just the best of my ability with spriting at the moment and the 8-bit style is really the closest thing I can compare my style to. Yes, I'm doing the whole thing using Paint and paint.net, so it may not exactly be great, but it's the best I myself can do. However, I'm constantly improving and learning new things.

I'm also not an artist, but I believe my drawn portraits are good. Actually turning out better than I thought they would!

I am trying to keep the color pallets on the drawings the same as the sprites (they are the same characters after all), but I guess my scanner scans them a bit too light. Maybe I can fix that, but I don't know. I'll look into it.

And they're supposed to be flat, they're paper! The entire game takes place in a magical journal, so I wanted some hand-drawn elements in the game. I was going to hand-draw the tilesets as well, but they were not turning out the way I wanted them too...

I am trying to make everyone look varied and look like their own person. Each one is different, each has their own personality and backstory.

I know my art sometimes looks weird, but I am working almost purely on my own. Even so, everything is so far turning out the way I want it to and it's the style I want to use.

Edited by Power Master

I suppose "E" is a bit low on the idea radar. You can really just give me any idea and I'll decide if it can work or not.

Let me know if you're working on voices or music. I'd like to get as many people as I can helping me on my game.

Edited by Power Master

I hate my voice so don't expect any help on that, but I totally agree that defining a colour palette is a must, without it, you'll use too many colours or way too less and everything might end up as a mess.