Power Master's Power Master Thread

Alex95

Yeah, I know how emotions work and look, that's the easy part. I guess, yeah, it doesn't really matter what style I use for them so long as I can place them on the face correctly.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, the voices have been submitted through Vocaroo, which gives the options of .mp3, .midi, or .ogg.

There is a robotic character, though: Steel.

It's more that midi is literally a set of instructions for your computer to process. So, you'll be getting beeps and boops rather than recorded audio. It saves space massively, but you're limited to what a computer can do! This means speech is a no go!

Compare a MIDI of a song I wrote to a rendered version (please don't use either, they're just for an example)

MIDI

Rendered

Also Vocaroo doesn't do MIDI, and for good reason!

It's more that midi is literally a set of instructions for your computer to process. So, you'll be getting beeps and boops rather than recorded audio. It saves space massively, but you're limited to what a computer can do! This means speech is a no go!

Compare a MIDI of a song I wrote to a rendered version (please don't use either, they're just for an example)

MIDI

Rendered

Also Vocaroo doesn't do MIDI, and for good reason!

Ah, yes, I hear the difference. Actually, I kind of already knew the difference, as I have a few songs that a both midi and mp3 on my computer. :P

I definitely prefer anything else over .midi. Everything else is clearer and midi sounds somewhat muffled to me. And, yeah, midi wasn't one of the options, I was thinking .wav. Oops.

Would you like to provide some sound clips, though, Shin? They can be either songs or short jingles if you're willing.

Would you like to provide some sound clips, though, Shin? They can be either songs or short jingles if you're willing.

Nah, voice acting's for this is easy enough to do quick, composing on the other hand is quite the time investment!

I realize music is a lot to ask for, but it'd be a great help.

...If you want to know the total amount of songs planned, it's 49. But I can shorten that to about 30 if I need to. Just have the dungeons share a generic theme.

Jingles not included.

Holy fuck

Yes, let's not get the hint and ask someone you barely know to compose 30-49 songs even though he said no without giving any regards to his schedule or offering (extra) compensation.

That is in very poor form.

Edited by Sunwoo

Okay, I'm not asking Shin specifically. I'm just giving a heads up as to how many songs I have planned for the game, but the number is flexible.

Again, though, more than one person can be chosen for this role, so it's not like they'd be working alone. Assuming I get any submissions for this anyway.

You may want to rethink a lot of this. Unless you've got cash to fork out, getting actual high quality music-- that many songs, is not happening. No one would do that much work for free.

If I can get the details worked out (i.e. set up my own bank account, set payment to said bank account, etc.) payment will happen. But it may not be much.

Like I said, I know it's a tall order, but I would be very grateful if it all worked out the way I have planned.

Cool, but you should make a back up plan for when it doesn't :P

You'd have to meet the most generous person in the world to make that much music for less than minimum wage when the project is barely even close to an alpha.

If I may be completely honest, I think you should consider using royalty free music instead since this sounds like the first time that you're taking on such a big project. Usually with indie games or games created by one person in general, things will run a lot more smoothly if you have a dedicated small team who is just as passionate as you are about this game. With you being the director and you seeking help from those who probably don't know know a whole lot about this game to begin with, you're still kind of asking for a lot even if you're going to compensate the people. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself.

I'm not saying to scrap or give up on this project, but I think you need to really write down what you need and prioritize everything in order because it sounds a bit disorganized. Like for me, I'm still in the process of writing the story for my fangame and listing all the settings so I know how many and what maps to put together. Once I finished with that, I'll going to then start actually developing the game. Things like additional art, music, etc come last because those things are kind of like the icing on the cake that come after the hard part of developing is finished because all I would have to really do is choose my music/art and put them in. Then I would ask if anyone would be interested in bug testing the game. I would love to use music that was specifically created for this game, but I have to think realistically on whether or not people are going to be interested AND that I can compensate them fairly.

All and all, I think you need to be more transparent and clear of what your game is like to give people a better idea of how to go about creating music for it. 'Good adventure music' and 'energetic battle music' are EXTREMELY generic terms and the musicians are not going to have a lot to go off of with just those descriptions to really make the music that's unique and catered for your game.

Yeah, I know. It all comes down to money, doesn't it...

Music is pretty much the only thing I don't have done. I have all the maps, the characters, (the dialogue still needs work), music is the only thing I'm missing.

While it'd be cool to have a whole soundtrack, at the very least, I'd like to have the main theme.

I can't really give a good explanation on what the game is like, as it's a Hodge-podge of many different things. Standard fantasy elements like forests and castle, to alternate dimensions and great mazes.

Kyle's story is similar to PM1's, he is told to collect the Gems, but this time he's doing it for his friend to help him with a task.

Merlina's story is her trying to find help for her Mother, who started acting strange since moving to Moneo.

I am no good with words, much less sypnosises. But I can tell the musician what the setting is for the current music piece.

For example, the forest with have a calm and mysterious feel, maybe with ambient noises included. A maze would have an upbeat and quick tempo, to make the player feel worried about getting lost.

Like I said, freemusicarchive.org/ has a lot of creative commons music available in a lot of genres, including music made specifically to be used in video game projects. It might be a good resource for you to start because music is usually quite expensive to get custom made. (I just got really mindboggled at the amount of quality resources it offered so I can't really recommend it enough, they even give you some direct links to the license so you can attribute them properly).

Gonna echo what carefreejules said and say that it might be a good idea to look into creative commons/ royalty-free assets because at the moment there's no way to ensure that the game will be financially viable enough for you to be able to afford to properly compensate anyone for any custom-made assets.

Alright, I spent the last couple of days working on these guys (would've posted sooner, but things happened). I think they came out rather well and good. I changed up the way I draw them; added more detail to the hair. Increased the length of the head, which gave more room, such as a forehead and a better jaw-line.

But it's still my way of drawing based on how I learned, so there will be similarities to the earlier way I drew. Nonetheless, this is a way I came up with based on your guys' advice that's fun, easy, and better to draw. Though I may need to redo the facial features (I used the ones I had made already for the moment), I like how this came out.

heroes_of_power_master_2_by_powermaster6

I forgot to fix the color lighting, though, so I'll fix that :P

Also, first time showing Merlina off here!

Just out of curiosity, what is the age group of your characters? Because based on how you drew them, they look like young teens or maybe pre-teens. If they're supposed to be older than that, than I suggest raising the eyes more.

Here's a really good tutorial on how to draw characters that look like a certain age group:

http://deejuusan.deviantart.com/art/Character-Aging-Sheet-309418851

Also, the scarf around the middle female's neck is a bit too thin to look like a scarf but I see what you were trying to do. The male necks don't span out that wide unless your male characters are supposed to be buff/muscular. I'll gladly draw what I mean in a second.

Edited by carefreejules

Just out of curiosity, what is the age group of your characters? Because based on how you drew them, they look like young teens or maybe pre-teens. If they're supposed to be older than that, than I suggest raising the eyes more.

Here's a really good tutorial on how to draw characters that look like a certain age group:

http://deejuusan.deviantart.com/art/Character-Aging-Sheet-309418851

Also, the scarf around the middle female's neck is a bit too thin to look like a scarf but I see what you were trying to do. The male necks don't span out that wide unless your male characters are supposed to be buff/muscular. I'll gladly draw what I mean in a second.

These particular characters are 14-15 years old.

Favorited the sheet so I'll look more on that later.

Yeah, the scarf came out a bit too thin... For muscles, I can normally add them in, by either raising the shoulders a bit. But yeah, the whole neck area just gets me sometime. I don't want to make it look like their heads are on a toothpick, but at the same time, I know they shouldn't be that wide...

I see! They look a bit too young for 14-15 so I think raising the eyes will fix it!

Here's my take on your characters and I hope you can use it for inspiration somehow :> The arrows show the movement of how I draw necks.

powermaster.png

Edited by carefreejules

Um, wow, that is... Wow! Those look really cool!

Honestly, with the better artists I've seen in this thread, I'm thinking I should hand over the portrait designs to someone else... I like my art, but I know others could do better and it'd be better received. Think you'd be up for it, jules?

Yeah, I can't show age very well. Wrinkles here and there and that's pretty much it.

Ah, I see. Go down from about eye-level, then curve out for the necks. Got it. I normally just round them out, like you see above.

(Actually, now that I really look at Kyle, his neck looks very thick...)

...So that's how you draw a scarf...

I'm flattered by the offer but I already have lots of drawing for my own fan-game to get to ^^; But if you need more help and tips, I'd be happy to help you out there :>

And that's just one way to draw a scarf XD There's like, 10 different ways of tying it around your neck.

Alight, so I tried the different drawing techniques. And, since I know my hand-drawn colors weren't showing up too well, I thought I'd try to color it in on paint.net.

[spoiler=This is the result]kyle___standard_by_powermaster64-daa9i7v

Um...

Well...

The color is there, at least...

idk, thoughts?

It's looking a lot better! The style seems to be coming together but I would work on things like varying line weights in order to make the form pop out a bit more and look more substancial, as single-width line weights usually only really work in terms of very specific circumstances and styles (such as in the case of pixel art or animation cels). Try making the lines a bit thicker in darker areas and lighter in more highlighted areas, or making the lines thinner on finer textiles, etc. It will help guide the eye through the work a lot better!

I would also work on trying to vary your palette with the shading though as it's still looking a bit flat. Try using variations on a tone in order to give the colours more life, as shading with shades of black/ grey or darker tones of the same hue tend to make the colouring look a bit lifeless (it's good for zombies or dingy lighting, but for a more neutral setting you might want to try using some pinks, purples, or other colours to make the skin look more organic). Likewise, I would work on trying to blend the shading more into the base tone because at the moment it's a bit blocky looking. If you want to go with gradient shading, you're still going to want to define the contours and forms of the shape as well.

bfad0de78d.png

I would use a more pertinent example but my hard drive recently decided to mess with me and I had to clean install/ upgrade my pc to win 10 and my tablet drivers aren't working on it atm, but I had this sprite from a VN project I ended up not going with that uses a similar gradient based technique? Basically don't forget to treat the object you're colouring as if it were a 3D object and define the shadows and highlighted areas.

In terms of drawing, shading is probably the thing I have the hardest time with, tbh. I understand how it works, but I have trouble getting it down. I chose to use gradients for now because that's really the best of my shading "ability."

Yeah, it's somewhat difficult to make out the lines in darker areas, isn't it? I'll see what I can do about that.