Fate Has It We're All Related

Yunanuy

Ryoma: We are your real family.

Xander: Return to us!

Elise: Big brother!

• • •

Felicia: Lord Corrin! Who will you choose? The family you grew up with or your blood relatives?

Corrin: Hmm...

Ryoma: Actually..we're not related.

Corrin: Huh?

Ryoma: When your mother, Mikoto, married my father, she brought you with her. So none of us are actually related. Haha...now that she's dead, I guess the Nohrians are actually your closest relatives. Heh.

Felicia: Oh my! Who would've thought?

Corrin: Shit...fine, if none of us are related I'll just hook up with Azura since she's the ying to my yang

Mikoto: That might be a problem...

Corrin: Mother!? You're ALIVE?

Mikoto: Yeah the big bad revived me but I still have my free will yolo open the red door noob

Corrin: I will. But what do you mean that might be a problem?

Mikoto: You and Azura are actually cousins.

Corrin: WHAT!?

Mikoto: Yes, me and Arete, Azura's mother are sisters!

Corrin: Azura, do you want to talk about this?

Azura: no not really no

Corrin: No thoughts at all? You have so many other lines in this game but we're not gonna talk about being related?

Azura: yurari yureri

THE END

THIS. Why does it make us pick a side between our supposed blood family and the family we grew up in when both are not related by blood? It's not very good writing and it was pretty much all warped around for Revelation and moral marriages. Seriously though, it even screws up the making a choice chaptr anyway

It feels like, in many ways, Fates was rushed. The story is so incomplete and ends up leaving so many questions unanswered... just feels like the writers were racing a deadline and didn't have the time to make sure the story actually made sense. In my opinion, one of the most egregious cases is Azura... Revelation reveals that she was entirely aware of what was going on in Valla from the beginning, which also means that she knows Anankos is still out there all the way through Birthright and Conquest. Okay, there's the whole curse thing, but in Conquest, you actually spend one chapter in Valla - it would've been the perfect time to say, "By the way Corrin, your dad is a crazy dragon and wants to destroy the world, so come back here when you're done in Nohr/Hoshido and kill him, okay?" Instead... she just warns Corrin about the curse and that's it. The only way I can possibly explain that is if she thought that they could still take care of Anankos after ending the war... which in both Conquest and Birthright leads to two of the eight siblings dying, not to mention hundreds or even thousands of innocent people, as well as her own death. GG Azura.

THIS. Why does it make us pick a side between our supposed blood family and the family we grew up in when both are not related by blood? It's not very good writing and it was pretty much all warped around for Revelation and moral marriages. Seriously though, it even screws up the making a choice chaptr anyway

Honestly, this is why I think -morally- that it makes more sense for Corrin to side with his Nohr family, because the Hoshidans really don't have any 'claim' to them whatsoever once Mikoto hits the bucket. I get it, that's Mikoto's family we're talking about, but honestly? You shouldn't have been able to S-support any of the siblings, and the only reason they retconned it like that was so you could marry them.

I lol'ed at Mikoto saying yolo after coming back from the dead.

Apparently some people only live twice.

yolt? hehe

It feels like, in many ways, Fates was rushed. The story is so incomplete and ends up leaving so many questions unanswered... just feels like the writers were racing a deadline and didn't have the time to make sure the story actually made sense. In my opinion, one of the most egregious cases is Azura... Revelation reveals that she was entirely aware of what was going on in Valla from the beginning, which also means that she knows Anankos is still out there all the way through Birthright and Conquest. Okay, there's the whole curse thing, but in Conquest, you actually spend one chapter in Valla - it would've been the perfect time to say, "By the way Corrin, your dad is a crazy dragon and wants to destroy the world, so come back here when you're done in Nohr/Hoshido and kill him, okay?" Instead... she just warns Corrin about the curse and that's it. The only way I can possibly explain that is if she thought that they could still take care of Anankos after ending the war... which in both Conquest and Birthright leads to two of the eight siblings dying, not to mention hundreds or even thousands of innocent people, as well as her own death. GG Azura.

There's so many things wrong about the story though..like, I don't even know where to begin.. I remember there was talk that they hired in a professional writer to write the story and there was massive hype because finally we were going to get a story that was good again, but this? I mean..in many ways I think the story is great. Honestly, it's fantastic in many ways. BUT there are so many bloody loopholes and things that are implemented that make absolutely no sense whatsoever, and many of them are done just for the sake of fanservice like My Castle, the Deeprealms or throwback characters. And I get this, but honestly Fates struggles from gameplay functions and the story being separated, and this actually hurts the story.

And as far as Azura goes, she's been established as a lone wolf character many times, and her keeping these things to herself makes some sense to me. At least that's what I make myself think to justify her actions. She thinks Anankos is her own problem, because it's her kingdom and not Corrin's, and her mind is more occupied on what Garon is doing as well and wants to resolve that, rather than forcing Corrin into "her own problems". Really shitty choice though considering she up and dies after Endgame, but oh well. I guess she tries to warn him at the end of the storyline when she appears by the lake and tells him to look into the water or something.

Now, I figure you've played Hidden Truths, but I'll put this in a spoiler anyways

The Awakening Trio. Wtf? THEY KNOW Corrin is Anankos' son. I saw some peep on gamefaqs saying that "Oh but silento never told them his name". But they knew his child was kidnapped? And maybe they didn't know until Chapter 6, but after that point they knew for sure. It isn't that difficult to connect the dots. Now what's wrong with this? Well, on Birthrights side, they still fight you, and pretty much forget all about Anankos and abandons their mission. In Conquest, they make no attempts to push Corrin into the right direction, and even their supports with each other are all about going home once the war is over...

If they still somehow wanted to play the "but they don't really realise Corrin is dragon boss's son"-card, they should have at least dropped some hints on their actual mission in their supports. Hidden Truths is a "good" dlc on its own explaining some things, but The Awakening Trio were only forced into that to give them a reason why they were in Nohr in the first place, and at that point you're like oh ok this makes sense I guess. But then you look at it again and it really doesn't? Their inclusion just made that DLC more complicated than it had to be, and added more questions than answers...

I still enjoyed the game very much, and as far as gameplay goes Fates is honestly the best in the series. The maps are fantastic. But they tried to make too many things "work", and it just didn't. Maybe it was rushed? Maybe the writer just wasn't as good as people thought? Who knows. But I hope the next instalment doesn't prioritise fanservice over the story.

I still enjoyed the game very much, and as far as gameplay goes Fates is honestly the best in the series. The maps are fantastic. But they tried to make too many things "work", and it just didn't. Maybe it was rushed? Maybe the writer just wasn't as good as people thought? Who knows. But I hope the next instalment doesn't prioritise fanservice over the story.

I think it is easily the best addition to the Fire Emblem franchise for gameplay and mechanics but the whole story sorta ruined it for me. I really enjoy the inclusion of my castle and also pvp as well as the design of the over-all game from Nohr culture to Hoshido culture and the correlation between east and west. The story, supports and by a very large extension, the marriage system ruined it for me. The whole child and marriage system is really pushed because of Awakening and I really don't like the private quarters aside from the dialogue within them. I get that they are trying to reach a wider audience by including the whole 'waifu' thing but I just felt like it was taken to an extreme with that and I really just don't want it in the game to begin with and I think that if they weren't so focused on trying to appeal to that audience, they wouldn't of had to screw up the story for convenience with marrying siblings.

I think it is easily the best addition to the Fire Emblem franchise for gameplay and mechanics but the whole story sorta ruined it for me. I really enjoy the inclusion of my castle and also pvp as well as the design of the over-all game from Nohr culture to Hoshido culture and the correlation between east and west. The story, supports and by a very large extension, the marriage system ruined it for me. The whole child and marriage system is really pushed because of Awakening and I really don't like the private quarters aside from the dialogue within them. I get that they are trying to reach a wider audience by including the whole 'waifu' thing but I just felt like it was taken to an extreme with that and I really just don't want it in the game to begin with and I think that if they weren't so focused on trying to appeal to that audience, they wouldn't of had to screw up the story for convenience with marrying siblings.

Same. My personal issue with the whole waifu-deal however is more so on the fact that they didn't include the mechanic because it provides character debt, but simply because people like watching a bunch of pixels twerk. This just aids in demeaning the characters, which I think is a big shame because many of them are really interesting. It's unfortunate, but I feel like IS believes that Awakening's success was attributed to the marriage and children and that alone, so while they made their best to improve gameplay and whatnot (which they did great), everything regarding the story and characters was made with the Awakening-newcomer-fans in mind.

And I mean..I don't mind the fanservice and some of the new mechanics are pretty nifty. I wouldn't cry if they never made it back into the game, neither would I do so if it stayed. But to me there's a line of what's cool and not, and the marriage and children-mechanic returning just becausewhynot, I could've done without. Hopefully if they ever include children again they have a better reasoning for it...like a time-skip. Otherwise it just hurts the story.

Edited by Yunanuy

Said it before and I'll say it again: this game makes me glad I don't have any sisters.

Just wait, next thing you know, you're married to the love of your life who suddenly turns out to be your cousin.

Also, everyone is remarkably nonchalant about the guy Corrin thought was his/her dad offhandedly mentioning that Mikoto had a kid already during the post-Sumeragi discussion. If you didn't marry Ryoma or whatever then nobody really brings it up.

CORRIN: Wait wait wait, hang on, my mom brought me? So you got it on the first time you two-

SUMERAGI: Oh goodness no, I wouldn't do such a thing. I loved Mikoto, but I would not betray my wife at that time.

CORRIN: So you're not my dad? Hang on, Ryoma!?

RYOMA: It slipped my mind.

TAKUMI: How does that "slip your mind?" And why didn't you guys tell me and Sakura?

RYOMA: Mistakes were made. So anyway-

SAKURA: Hold on, if Corrin isn't father's child then who is Corrin's father?

HINOKA: Oh hey, that's right! I actually never even thought about that, now I feel dumb.

SUMERAGI: I fear that I do not know.

CORRIN: Really? Really? The part where I don't look anything like you guys and I have pointy ears and no shoes and also I'm a dragon and also my mom is from Valla doesn't tip you guys off?

AZURA: Anankos banged your mom, Corrin.

CORRIN: I figured that out already but thanks for your tact and grace on this, Azura. You're a real team player.

Reminder that the trailer showing off the Big Choice framed it as Blood VS Loyalty with the former having the Hoshido siblings pointed to.

This is what bothers me the most as well. Once everything is revealed, even if Avatar doesn't know, "choosing Hoshido" for me personally just seems silly to me at that point. Only for the sibling-reason of course. Garon is still a dick.

Also, everyone is remarkably nonchalant about the guy Corrin thought was his/her dad offhandedly mentioning that Mikoto had a kid already during the post-Sumeragi discussion. If you didn't marry Ryoma or whatever then nobody really brings it up.

Haha, this, a lot! I honestly don't get it whenever the Hoshido siblings keep shouting stuff like we are your real family and Nohr is fake blahblahblah. If anything, the only attachment Avatar should have to Hoshido is his mother, and now she's gone... So, who's left? The siblings he spent the majority of his life with, or the people he met a few days/weeks ago who are apparently his real siblings. If the choice made was made just on the basis of family (disregard Garon), Hoshido really doesn't have a lot going for them.

And it's a shame they went there, even if they're not your REAL siblings. I mean, morality. Come on. Step-siblings are just as much family as anyone else you've lived your entire life with. But that's me.

And it's a shame they went there, even if they're not your REAL siblings. I mean, morality. Come on. Step-siblings are just as much family as anyone else you've lived your entire life with. But that's me.

That might have something to do with Japanese values, but my only real knowledge of their values is that they have gender roles one might see as sexist, they're incredibly polite, they dislike guns, and they don't see suicide as reprehensible as the US does. Heck I just did a Google search on their views as step-siblings, and the only thing related I could find was this.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/mega_man/go/thread/view/7461/30673865/culture-in-japan-and-differences-with-western-culture

So I'm not sure how step-siblings might be considered. Though, technically the Hoshidians would be step-siblings to Corrin too.

Reminder that the trailer showing off the Big Choice framed it as Blood VS Loyalty with the former having the Hoshido siblings pointed to.

Just a clarification on "Blood vs. Loyalty".

That was strictly English.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Actually, choosing Hoshido has more to do with morals rather than family.

When Corrin chooses Hoshido, he never mentions his family when explains why he choose Hoshido.

But when he chooses Nohr, he mentions that his family is the only reason he chose Nohr.

The choice between Hoshido and Nohr is more about Morality vs Loved Ones rather than Bloodline vs Loyalty.

It think the choice should have been something like "What do you value more? Your family or your morals? Is the right thing to do more important than the ones you love? Or the ones you love more important than doing the right thing?"

Isn't the whole "Change Nohr from inside" also only in English?

I think the Japanese version never mentions anything about reforming Nohr from the inside.

Edited by Water Mage

Actually, choosing Hoshido has more to do with morals rather than family.

When Corrin chooses Hoshido, he never mentions his family when explains why he choose Hoshido.

But when he chooses Nohr, he mentions that his family is the only reason he chose Nohr.

The choice between Hoshido and Nohr is more about Morality vs Loved Ones rather than Bloodline vs Loyalty.

It think the choice should have been something like "What do you value more? Your family or your morals? Is the right thing to do more important than the ones you love? Or the ones you love more important than doing the right thing?"

I think we only been bringing it up as a reminder of how false the ads for the game was, and how if Garon was handled better, the Hoshidians would have nothing going for them.

On a sidenote, Ryouma is quite a hypocrite,since he knows the truth. Heck, the fact that he accepts Azura as his sister in an early cutscene shows how bullshit his reasoning. If blood is so important, then he should have had returned Azura returned to Nohr.

I think we only been bringing it up as a reminder of how false the ads for the game was, and how if Garon was handled better, the Hoshidians would have nothing going for them.

Mayeb that's why they made Garon like that?

People tend to put more value on their emotions over their morals.

On a sidenote, Ryouma is quite a hypocrite,since he knows the truth. Heck, the fact that he accepts Azura as his sister in an early cutscene shows how bullshit his reasoning. If blood is so important, then he should have had returned Azura returned to Nohr.

To be fair to Ryoma, the Hoshidan Family sorta had "first dibs" on Corrin, and Corrin's love for their Nohrian family was also based on a lie.

To be fair to Ryoma, the Hoshidan Family sorta had "first dibs" on Corrin, and Corrin's love for their Nohrian family was also based on a lie.

By first dibs do you mean how they were the first to be with him? If so, that's kind of bullshit, since it's ignoring his feelings and experiences from that point on. It's treating him more like an object than a person. It's like me arguing with a friend over who gets to go out with a girl we both like. I spent time with her first, but she spent more time with my friend. Claiming, "I was with her first" is highly immature and disregarding that she might have a deeper connection with my friend due to spending more time together.

Heck, in real life, I think like that sometimes in regards to my best friend when he hangs out with his other friends, since he's one of the only friends I have, but then I remember that I'm not his only friend and even if I dislike some of his friends, he has a right to hang out with them as he pleases.

As for his Nohrian family lying to them, well if I remember correctly, Corrin knew he was adopted, so they didn't outright lie to him like Ryouma did. Plus didn't only Xander know? Also there's still the fact that by accepting Azura as one of them, the Hoshidians showed they don't really adhere to their argument, because they still treated her like family even though she isn't by their definition. Granted Azura isn't related to the Nohrians, but did any of the Hoshidians know that?

By first dibs do you mean how they were the first to be with him? If so, that's kind of bullshit, since it's ignoring his feelings and experiences from that point on. It's treating him more like an object than a person. It's like me arguing with a friend over who gets to go out with a girl we both like. I spent time with her first, but she spent more time with my friend. Claiming, "I was with her first" is highly immature and disregarding that she might have a deeper connection with my friend due to spending more time together.

Heck, in real life, I think like that sometimes in regards to my best friend when he hangs out with his other friends, since he's one of the only friends I have, but then I remember that I'm not his only friend and even if I dislike some of his friends, he has a right to hang out with them as he pleases.

As for his Nohrian family lying to them, well if I remember correctly, Corrin knew he was adopted, so they didn't outright lie to him like Ryouma did. Plus didn't only Xander know? Also there's still the fact that by accepting Azura as one of them, the Hoshidians showed they don't really adhere to their argument, because they still treated her like family even though she isn't by their definition. Granted Azura isn't related to the Nohrians, but did any of the Hoshidians know that?

Corrin never knew he was adopted, he always though they were blood-related.

Also, let's be honest both families treat Corrin like an object, especially Xander, Camilla, Hinoka and Elise.

Also, when I mentioned "first dibs", I meant in the way of being Corrin's real family.

I might be wrong here, but I think Ryoma never refers himself as Corrin's blood brother, only as Corrin's real brother. So in a way Ryoma didn't lie. I might be completely wrong though.

Corrin never knew he was adopted, he always though they were blood-related.

Also, let's be honest both families treat Corrin like an object, especially Xander, Camilla, Hinoka and Elise.

Also, when I mentioned "first dibs", I meant in the way of being Corrin's real family.

I might be wrong here, but I think Ryoma never refers himself as Corrin's blood brother, only as Corrin's real brother. So in a way Ryoma didn't lie. I might be completely wrong though.

Good points, though technically they're both his real family. The Hoshidians would be his siblings, and the Nohrians would be his cousins, since the queens were sisters.

Still, Ryouma's a hypocrite involving Azura, since if Corrin's real family is Hoshido, then Azura's real family should be Nohr.

Good points, though technically they're both his real family. The Hoshidians would be his siblings, and the Nohrians would be his cousins, since the queens were sisters.

Still, Ryouma's a hypocrite involving Azura, since if Corrin's real family is Hoshido, then Azura's real family should be Nohr.

The Azura part is a little more complicated.

Remember that Azura has nothing but bad memories from Nohr, and she there during the times were there a many of Garon's children were still alive and treated her badly. And unlike Corrin, she never missed Nohr during her time in Hoshido.

She probably had only bad things to say about Nohr, if she said anything at all. Remember that the Hoshidans probably saved Azura's life unitentionally when they kidnapped her.

The Azura part is a little more complicated.

Remember that Azura has nothing but bad memories from Nohr, and she there during the times were there a many of Garon's children were still alive and treated her badly. And unlike Corrin, she never missed Nohr during her time in Hoshido.

She probably had only bad things to say about Nohr, if she said anything at all. Remember that the Hoshidans probably saved Azura's life unitentionally when they kidnapped her.

I kind of forgot that part of her character. Still, seems odd for Ryouma to insist he's Corrin real family, with his only real basis being Corrin's mom married his dad. Yet family can still consist of more legal relations as shown by his relationship with Azura. (I'm pretty sure no one knew the Queens were related.) One of his own family members is living proof his argument is wrong. Yet, he doesn't realize that and still chases Corrin, even after Corrin chooses Nohr. Granted the Nohrians do the same, but they actually have a years-long bond with him, and they don't a relationship with anybody that goes against the argument for why Corrin should be with them.

To clarify ,the Hoshidians' only argument with any backing is that Corrin is legally their brother, while the Nohrians' is that they have a deeper bond with him due to living with him longer.

I was talking about this trailer:

Start at 1:10. You can see from both the words and their positioning that the trailer was pointing to Ryoma and Co. sharing a bloodline with Corrin.

Also, Ryoma's pre-release profile said he was Corrin's "real older brother."

Edited by Alazen

So I guess the true moral of all this is never trust an Italian lobster. Seems like a good moral.

But in the real world, everyone is truly related in some way, and probably even more in royalty (because when you take 90% of the population out of the equation, it doesn't let tons of choice...), (Now that I think about it, it's the case for Altenna and Arione in FE4...)

So who's your real family is kinda meaningness overall.

You could chnace the question with "Which little sister you want to skinship with" would be as meaningfull in this case.

I just went through that chapter (24) in Revelation. I wish I had my reactions recorded there. I felt bad after that because I married Azura that time. I also felt a bit worse because I fell for her bullshit and the fact that I had no idea that the boss of that chapter had movement and went after Ryoma only to get critted by Xander (I paired the two princes with each other before the last enemy phase.) XD