Ideas for a sequel.

Self explanatory, I kinda wanted to start a thread where we could discuss what we'd like to see in a sequel to this game, if they make one.

Some things I wanna see

1: Have it take place chronologically a few years after the first game, preferably in a different city or country so it can make sense to newcomers and veterans.

2: Have Fire Emblem mirage characters from every game in the series instead of 1 and 13.

3: Try and merge the two series better, I feel like combining Devil Survivor elements with Persona would work the most.

a: Have a system where mirages are grouped such as the Race or Arcana system and have fusion elements where you can take two mirages and make a more powerful one (might be awkward to see Florina and Wil fusing to make Colm for example, but it seems interesting to me). In addition, have personal mirages that can't be fused away so it works kinda like the Persona Q sub/persona thing.

b: Use these mirages in Fire Emblem/ Devil Survivor levels that unlocks the dungeons (this might be awkward since it's kinda haphazardly slapping two types of gameplay together, but it could work with the right story mechanism).

4: Offer an English mode where the songs and voice cast are in English, Fates showed it could work really well with Lost in Thoughts All Alone.

There has been a few interesting ideas in the previous thread about a potential sequel to the game, one of the most notables in my opinion was something suggested by Hardin about taking inspiration from FE Fates.

1. Seems plausible, I don't think that Atlus will make it have place somewhere else than in Japan though.

2. Maybe not every game, but I'm pretty sure if it happens, they'll pick mirages from more games.

3. Definitely agree to some extent. However they considered doing a SRPG and thought it would be too similar to Devil Survivor or FE, so that would make the point of doing a collaboration pointless if I remember correctly.

3a. I'm not sure a fusion system is the most appropriate mechanics, especially since the "demons" or "personas" here are FE characters, like you said it would feel awkward I think.

3b. Not sure what you mean here, you mean having to do maps in FE fashion prior to the dungeons (dungeons just like in #FE or Persona I suppose) ? I don't know about that idea, I wouldn't mind something like that since I like both types of gameplay but I think that there are people that won't like having to do SRPG maps and others that won't like the Persona-like gameplay in dungeons (which is the problem when games try to switch too much between different gameplay styles).

4. Dual audio is definitely something that I want, even if japanese audio with english sub is perfect for me, having options like that would be great. But it definitely wouldn't be easy to do an english dub for the game, just like it probably was a challenge to do that with Fates (they managed it really well in my opinion for Azura and her songs), it's probably even more difficult for a game like #FE.

Azura was only one character and has only 3 songs. There are 18 songs in #FE, with all 8 main characters having to sing well, not even counting side singers like the group Emotional KEY and the person singing the opening of Dia Majo Iroha.

A few things in no particular order :

- More specific to the english version of #FE, but apparently there isn't any subtitle for the banter between characters during battles. Hopefully they will correct this oversight in the next game (only if it's japanese audio and english sub again).

- Dual audio.

- I think that putting the elemental affinity of the characters on another piece of equipment instead of the weapons would be more interesting. Right now, I think that players tend to pick the strongest/newest weapon they have for each character, to deal more damage or to learn new skills, which means that trying to cover your weaknesses isn't really something that you consider when choosing a weapon.

- Like you said, a better integration of FE if they can come up with something, I think something common to both SMT and FE that they could use is the negociation and recruitment mechanics. They purified Chrom and Shiida, which were on the opposing side at first, so maybe something that allows you to purify opponents under some circumstances and allow you to recruit them afterwards ? The problem is that most enemies are generic creatures, so recruiting them doesn't seem really interesting, but I don't think you can do the opposite and only put FE characters that are "meaningful" in their stead.

- Or maybe add some positioning mechanics ? To be honest, I'm not sure doing things for the sake of being closer to SMT or FE if it's not meaningful is really necessary. If it makes the game better, sure, but the game's core mechanics seems to be really solid.

It's all I can think about for now, I'll probably have more things that come to mind after playing the game myself.

Edited by Avk

One thing I can think of is the use of multiple mirages and a possible Triangle Attack. Maybe you can have a chance to launch that if all three of the main cast use related mirages. Depending on the situation, having all of the main cast being the same type isn't advisable (bringing three fliers to fight snipers is asking for trouble, for example), so this shouldn't break the game too much.

Story-wise, I wantto see an extension of the original more than something somplete new.

[spoiler=Ending]The character endings of this game interestingly don't talk about the far future, as you'd expect from the FE character endings. It's almost like they want to make Itsuki and Tiki meet again.

There has been a few interesting ideas in the previous thread about a potential sequel to the game, one of the most notables in my opinion was something suggested by Hardin about taking inspiration from FE Fates.

1. Seems plausible, I don't think that Atlus will make it have place somewhere else than in Japan though.

2. Maybe not every game, but I'm pretty sure if it happens, they'll pick mirages from more games.

3. Definitely agree to some extent. However they considered doing a SRPG and thought it would be too similar to Devil Survivor or FE, so that would make the point of doing a collaboration pointless if I remember correctly.

3a. I'm not sure a fusion system is the most appropriate mechanics, especially since the "demons" or "personas" here are FE characters, like you said it would feel awkward I think.

3b. Not sure what you mean here, you mean having to do maps in FE fashion prior to the dungeons (dungeons just like in #FE or Persona I suppose) ? I don't know about that idea, I wouldn't mind something like that since I like both types of gameplay but I think that there are people that won't like having to do SRPG maps and others that won't like the Persona-like gameplay in dungeons (which is the problem when games try to switch too much between different gameplay styles).

4. Dual audio is definitely something that I want, even if japanese audio with english sub is perfect for me, having options like that would be great. But it definitely wouldn't be easy to do an english dub for the game, just like it probably was a challenge to do that with Fates (they managed it really well in my opinion for Azura and her songs), it's probably even more difficult for a game like #FE.

Azura was only one character and has only 3 songs. There are 18 songs in #FE, with all 8 main characters having to sing well, not even counting side singers like the group Emotional KEY and the person singing the opening of Dia Majo Iroha.

A few things in no particular order :

- More specific to the english version of #FE, but apparently there isn't any subtitle for the banter between characters during battles. Hopefully they will correct this oversight in the next game (only if it's japanese audio and english sub again).

- Dual audio.

- I think that putting the elemental affinity of the characters on another piece of equipment instead of the weapons would be more interesting. Right now, I think that players tend to pick the strongest/newest weapon they have for each character, to deal more damage or to learn new skills, which means that trying to cover your weaknesses isn't really something that you consider when choosing a weapon.

- Like you said, a better integration of FE if they can come up with something, I think something common to both SMT and FE that they could use is the negociation and recruitment mechanics. They purified Chrom and Shiida, which were on the opposing side at first, so maybe something that allows you to purify opponents under some circumstances and allow you to recruit them afterwards ? The problem is that most enemies are generic creatures, so recruiting them doesn't seem really interesting, but I don't think you can do the opposite and only put FE characters that are "meaningful" in their stead.

- Or maybe add some positioning mechanics ? To be honest, I'm not sure doing things for the sake of being closer to SMT or FE if it's not meaningful is really necessary. If it makes the game better, sure, but the game's core mechanics seems to be really solid.

It's all I can think about for now, I'll probably have more things that come to mind after playing the game myself.

With regards to 3a: the awkwardness might be attributed to "culture/fan shock" because if you think about it, fusing folk tale demons to make deities does not make the most sense and since they're mirages some lore mumbo jumbo might be introduced that it's just a form they take which can change when mirages combine or something. With regards to 3b, I was thinking something like the are surrounding a dungeon that has a magic shield that can only be entered by mirages and then the mirages get to play on maps that are a bit more FE based than Persona based (like the area liberation maps from MegaMan Battle Network 5 if you're familiar with that), to shut the shield down, providing leeway to open the dungeon for the main characters.

As I said in another thread, I would use Fates as a base and have two rival agencies as the protagonist in the story. Over the course of the game you would switch between them, until they unite at the end to fight the BigBadTM. I would include enemy mirages from other FE games, but I think it's important for the main cast have a strong connected theme. The party from this game would also appear as secret bosses and teach you new moves when defeated.

One thing I can think of is the use of multiple mirages and a possible Triangle Attack. Maybe you can have a chance to launch that if all three of the main cast use related mirages. Depending on the situation, having all of the main cast being the same type isn't advisable (bringing three fliers to fight snipers is asking for trouble, for example), so this shouldn't break the game too much.

Story-wise, I wantto see an extension of the original more than something somplete new.

[spoiler=Ending]The character endings of this game interestingly don't talk about the far future, as you'd expect from the FE character endings. It's almost like they want to make Itsuki and Tiki meet again.

More interactions between mirages like the Triangle Attack would be really cool, maybe a different mechanics inspired by the Duo Arts (interaction focusing between mirages having some affinity instead of the Fortuna Entertainment members). Having multiple mirages is also an obvious one, they already do that in SMT and especially Persona games, the problem is that unlike demons or most personas, the mirages are FE characters, and they aren't really disposable (it's even one of the main appeal of FE, your units aren't just Soldier #7, Knight #2). That's also my main complaint against a fusion system, if they manage to find a way to implement it well, I wouldn't be opposed to it though.

[spoiler=Ending]Maybe they did that deliberately, I'm probably putting to much hope in all these rumors about a sequel though. From what I've seen, it's similar to Persona endings (3 and 4 at least), where you go around and see the state of everything and everyone around you, to see how things have evolved since the beginning, and after that, the credits and The End. So they probably just decided to go in a direction closer to Persona than FE on this.

As I said in another thread, I would use Fates as a base and have two rival agencies as the protagonist in the story. Over the course of the game you would switch between them, until they unite at the end to fight the BigBadTM. I would include enemy mirages from other FE games, but I think it's important for the main cast have a strong connected theme. The party from this game would also appear as secret bosses and teach you new moves when defeated.

It's probably not what you are suggesting, but having 2 parties and 2 main protagonists could be really cool. I haven't seen many games do that and it kind of remind me a little of what Radiant Dawn tried to do (Fates too). Having one main character switch between sides could probably be done, but would be more difficult to justify.

In that specific context, I can see the characters of Fortuna Entertainment (the protagonists of #FE) being kind of like Corrin and his/her close party (route neutral characters) or Greil's Mercenaries (being close to the Laguz army, while also not wanting to fight Daein and the Dawn Brigade), trying to calm hostility and unite both sides, that will give them reasons to appear in both sides and teaching things since they are all veterans.

I just remembered, but I hope they can come up with a better name for the western version, I really dislike the actual one, even after realizing what they tried to do with the initials. But it's probably too late for that.

Edited by Avk

Dang, my browser died when I was typing this. Now I have to type everything again.

Having multiple mirages is also an obvious one, they already do that in SMT and especially Persona games, the problem is that unlike demons or most personas, the mirages are FE characters, and they aren't really disposable (it's even one of the main appeal of FE, your units aren't just Soldier #7, Knight #2).

One implementation I can think of is that instead of recruiting the extra mirages like they're demons/personas/Pokémon, have a single recruitable mirage for each character's side story. Playable mirages rarely talk to humans that aren't their master or Itsuki (like the subordinates and royals in Fates outside of supports), so this shouldn't add too much to the story and steal screentime from anyone. And there probably shouldn't be too many mirages; I can imagine 2 or 3 per human.

I just remembered, but I hope they can come up with a better name for the western version, I really dislike the actual one, even after realizing what they tried to do with the initials. But it's probably too late for that.

"Tokyo Mirage Sessions" sounds like a bunch of random concepts in the game slapped together. I'd have liked it better if it actually abbreviates to SMT; TMS doesn't sound obvious enough to me.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Just going by a purely gameplay standpoint here because themes often shift between SMT entries

-I would say instead of multiple Mirages, have a person's Mirage be able to switch classes. For example, if we had someone partnered with Nephenee she could switch between Halberdier, General, and Cavalier. That could also lead to being able to switch between skill sets in battle as opposed to being stuck with one. The reason I go with classes instead of just having multiple Mirages is that the point of the Mirages aren't like in Persona or SMT where the Persona/Demons are interchangeable. Instead, they're meant to be partners who are both guides and companions to the Masters so having them be the only Mirages the Masters have is key.

-As for selection, keep it concentrated. It's tempting to use a lot of material, but that just leads to dilution and lack of focus. Less is more. My personal preference would be to go with Tellius and my Mirages would be Ike, Soren, Titania, Nephenee, Ranulf, Haar, Volke, and Elincia.

Edited by Aiddon

Mirages being companions is actually the reason they gave for having only a small selection in this game. There is already multiple classes in this game (it uses a branched promotion system), but they they don't bring any fundamental changes like weapon types or class weaknesses. Most of them just sway their stats between offensive and average.

For me, just a couple things I want to see.

First, new things I want:

1. Lots of Mirages, taken from Fire Emblem's entire library. And to go along with this, having a purification system where, as we saw with Chrom and Caeda, be able to find other FE characters out "in the wild," so to speak, and battle with them and then purify them. There could be TONS of secret Mirages to find and unlock, which would be fantastic for exploration and add more excitement to exploring deeper. And even have some purifications make sense based on the character. Maybe you don't always fight a Mirage, maybe some of them you need to go through a sequence of puzzles, or reunite them with another Mirage, or find a certain item for them. And with having lots of Mirages...

2. Having the ability for characters to have multiple Mirages. I still think Mirages should be tied to a specific character, but have lots for each character. And then their Carnage forms could also be different based on which Mirage is currently "set" to them. Each Mirage also has its own equipment and certain skills to learn, especially unique Sessions Skills.

3. A Social Link system that's at least as fleshed out as the latest Persona games, though I'd like them to go even further with it. Just being able to do tons of side quests and have personal conversations with all of your characters would be fantastic.

And some upgrades and expansions on current stuff:

1. Lots and lots of songs! And building on that, more of an immersion in the idol industry - have the lessons mean something, and have them be interactive. I would not be opposed to some light rhythm games or other sorts of minigames that allow you to engage in lessons from singing to dancing to other types of idol events, and be able to build up your different idol skills and use them in ways to interact with the world. Could even integrate that into Social Links and purifying certain Mirages.

2. Four players in your active party. Please. Three characters is just too sparse. The battle system is gorgeous and fun, but I really want at least four players in the active party. Please.

3. A ton of costumes. I mean costumes out the wazoo. All over the place. A bajillion costumes to unlock. Maybe even a mix-and-match system where you have different wardrobe items corresponding to different parts, so you can mix and match tops, bottoms, shoes, hats, accessories, and even layer things in creative ways. I just love being able to dress characters up, the more options the better.

And that's all from me! I'm having a blast with the game, really hoping for a sequel.

I don't think this game will have a sequel based upon its sales. TMS # FE only managed to sell around 33,000 physical copies during its first two weeks in Japan. The game got onto the U.K. sales chart at #18, but the top 10 games only sold around 65,000 copies combined, meaning sales couldn't have been that strong. I haven't found any data on the U.S. sales yet, however I'm guessing it'll be a similar case to what happened in the U.K. and Japan.

Sources:

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/198/1198637/

http://www.mcvpacific.com/news/read/the-uk-charts-week-25-2/0169173

Edited by wraith

I could actually see this game pulling a Baten Kaitos and getting a sequel despite its bad sales thanks to good reviews and word of mouth.

I could actually see this game pulling a Baten Kaitos and getting a sequel despite its bad sales thanks to good reviews and word of mouth.

I'm highly skeptical of this game getting a sequel. Between the three years of development on the Wii U and the large amount of money that Nintendo had to pony up in hiring Avex Group, the premiere music company in Japan, for the music I highly doubt there'll be a sequel. Even if by some miracle a sequel is made I don't think Atlus would have a budget that would allow them to make more J-Pop songs on the same level of quality as the songs already in TMS # FE.

Edited by wraith

I'm highly skeptical of this game getting a sequel. Between the three years of development on the Wii U and the large amount of money that Nintendo had to pony up in hiring Avex Group, the premiere music company in Japan, for the music I highly doubt there'll be a sequel. Even if by some miracle a sequel is made I don't think Atlus would have a budget that would allow them to make more J-Pop songs on the same level of quality as the songs already in TMS # FE.

Well, the budget would be handled by Nintendo, not Atlus. Development time should also be lower on the sequel given a lot of time went on deciding what type of game would TMS actually be, plus they already have the game engine.

I feel that there are tons of things, gameplay-wise, that TMS #FE did a fantastic job at, and it would suck to see all that go to waste after only one game. Since Nintendo is going for a larger audience on the NX, I don't think it would be a bad idea to give the series another shot before canning it entirely, as the potential is clearly there and we know the reception for this game was good. I can concede the future does not look very bright, but I wouldn't completely discard the chance of it happening.

Well, the budget would be handled by Nintendo, not Atlus. Development time should also be lower on the sequel given a lot of time went on deciding what type of game would TMS actually be, plus they already have the game engine.

I feel that there are tons of things, gameplay-wise, that TMS #FE did a fantastic job at, and it would suck to see all that go to waste after only one game. Since Nintendo is going for a larger audience on the NX, I don't think it would be a bad idea to give the series another shot before canning it entirely, as the potential is clearly there and we know the reception for this game was good. I can concede the future does not look very bright, but I wouldn't completely discard the chance of it happening.

What makes you think that Nintendo would even give Atlus the chance to make a sequel to a game that they lost a lot of money on? At the end of the day Nintendo is a corporation and what matters most to them is their profit and appeasing share holders. Edited by wraith

Even if by some miracle a sequel is made I don't think Atlus would have a budget that would allow them to make more J-Pop songs on the same level of quality as the songs already in TMS # FE.

I disagree. If there's anything that the Macross series has taught me, it's that you don't need an idol agency make the music to have fantastic idol music, you just need a good composer and a good recording artist. In fact, given how the Macross Frontier soundtracks sold, they should just get Yoko Kanno to do the soundtrack for a TMS sequel if they do end up sticking with the idol theme. Either that, or just get Ryouta Kozuka, who did composing and remixing work on Dancing All Night.

What makes you think that Nintendo would even give Atlus the chance to make a sequel to a game that they lost a lot of money on? At the end of the day Nintendo is a corporation and what matters most to them is their profit and appeasing share holders.

Mostly because sales is not the only thing that can determine the potential of a new IP, and in the specific case of TMS #FE it had a lot of things going against it at the time of release. It was a game that started development very early on the Wii U cycle, but Nintendo had essentially lost hope on the system by the time it was finished, so it was released on a system that was already on the way out (and with news on the successor already revealed), it got a terrible release date in Japan, and it got little to no promotion. This is stuff that could be fixed on a potential sequel.

But now that I think about it, you know what I could see happening? An enhanced port. A "Definite Edition" for NX with a few extra stuff that also fixes some of the game's minor problems. It could definitely help the series expand to a larger audience and raise the chances of a sequel.

On topic: I definitely like the idea of using Fates characters for a Rival School-setup, specially if the game is about joining one of the schools and that choice doesn't happen until the near end. It could lead to some interesting stuff.

Oh, and fix stuff like having to go to Bloom Palace to create Carnage and Unity.

I disagree. If there's anything that the Macross series has taught me, it's that you don't need an idol agency make the music to have fantastic idol music, you just need a good composer and a good recording artist. In fact, given how the Macross Frontier soundtracks sold, they should just get Yoko Kanno to do the soundtrack for a TMS sequel if they do end up sticking with the idol theme. Either that, or just get Ryouta Kozuka, who did composing and remixing work on Dancing All Night.

Even so that still doesn't solve the fact that Nintendo lost a lot of money on this game. Also, the whole idea of hiring Avex Group in the first place was to bring a greater sense of authenticity to the J-Pop music in the game. Nintendo went to best because they wanted the music to sound professional, as if you could actually hear the music from the game being played over the radio or being casually listened to by the people of Japan. Whether a new composer could create a soundtrack which could emulate the immersion of TMS # FE remains to be seen.

Edited by wraith

Mostly because sales is not the only thing that can determine the potential of a new IP, and in the specific case of TMS #FE it had a lot of things going against it at the time of release. It was a game that started development very early on the Wii U cycle, but Nintendo had essentially lost hope on the system by the time it was finished, so it was released on a system that was already on the way out (and with news on the successor already revealed), it got a terrible release date in Japan, and it got little to no promotion. This is stuff that could be fixed on a potential sequel.

But now that I think about it, you know what I could see happening? An enhanced port. A "Definite Edition" for NX with a few extra stuff that also fixes some of the game's minor problems. It could definitely help the series expand to a larger audience and raise the chances of a sequel.

On topic: I definitely like the idea of using Fates characters for a Rival School-setup, specially if the game is about joining one of the schools and that choice doesn't happen until the near end. It could lead to some interesting stuff.

It all boils down to simple economics. Nintendo created a product which did not have a great demand on the market and thus it didn't turn a profit. I can see Nintendo possibly remastering TMS # FE on the NX or a future system, however I still think it will be a good number of years before such a risk is taken. Before such a time, this game would have to gain a large enough cult following for Nintendo to deem that there is a large enough preexisting audience that will buy their product which in turn means they'll make a healthy profit.

Edited by wraith

I all boils down to simple economics. Nintendo created a product which wasn't in great demand on the market and thus they didn't make a profit. I could see Nintendo remastering the game for a future console such as the NX, but it'll be a good few years before this happens. Before such an investment is made by Nintendo they'll need to be sure that there'll be a big enough preexisting audience for this product so they will actually turn a healthy enough profit to justify the risk.

I guess we'll see. I'm just a bit more hopeful in this particular case since the most recent #FE concert in Japan was quite successful, and Nintendo producer Hitoshi Yamagami doesn't want the #FE IP to die just yet.

For me, just a couple things I want to see.

First, new things I want:

1. Lots of Mirages, taken from Fire Emblem's entire library. And to go along with this, having a purification system where, as we saw with Chrom and Caeda, be able to find other FE characters out "in the wild," so to speak, and battle with them and then purify them. There could be TONS of secret Mirages to find and unlock, which would be fantastic for exploration and add more excitement to exploring deeper. And even have some purifications make sense based on the character. Maybe you don't always fight a Mirage, maybe some of them you need to go through a sequence of puzzles, or reunite them with another Mirage, or find a certain item for them. And with having lots of Mirages...

2. Having the ability for characters to have multiple Mirages. I still think Mirages should be tied to a specific character, but have lots for each character. And then their Carnage forms could also be different based on which Mirage is currently "set" to them. Each Mirage also has its own equipment and certain skills to learn, especially unique Sessions Skills.

3. A Social Link system that's at least as fleshed out as the latest Persona games, though I'd like them to go even further with it. Just being able to do tons of side quests and have personal conversations with all of your characters would be fantastic.

And some upgrades and expansions on current stuff:

1. Lots and lots of songs! And building on that, more of an immersion in the idol industry - have the lessons mean something, and have them be interactive. I would not be opposed to some light rhythm games or other sorts of minigames that allow you to engage in lessons from singing to dancing to other types of idol events, and be able to build up your different idol skills and use them in ways to interact with the world. Could even integrate that into Social Links and purifying certain Mirages.

2. Four players in your active party. Please. Three characters is just too sparse. The battle system is gorgeous and fun, but I really want at least four players in the active party. Please.

3. A ton of costumes. I mean costumes out the wazoo. All over the place. A bajillion costumes to unlock. Maybe even a mix-and-match system where you have different wardrobe items corresponding to different parts, so you can mix and match tops, bottoms, shoes, hats, accessories, and even layer things in creative ways. I just love being able to dress characters up, the more options the better.

And that's all from me! I'm having a blast with the game, really hoping for a sequel.

About the new stuff :

1. Lots of mirages would make the balancing of the game pretty difficult. And I feel like if they put too much mirages, just like if they implement it like they are demons or personas, it will make all of them feel less special. Having different ways to purify them is interesting though.

2. The mirage-exclusive items, carnage forms etc... isn't a bad idea in my opinion, but as I said previously, having multiple mirages per characers plus having tons of them and specific items for each of them would be a tremendous amount of work, balancing, designing, etc... I'm not sure they'll be able to do that with a game as focused and well done as #FE currently is.

3. "The Side Stories are already a really good "Social Link" experience" was what I thinking when I played last night, and even if you don't do a lot of things (mostly walking back and forth multiple points) it's already more interactive than in Persona. But of course, if they can improve it, they should go for it.

About the improvements :

1. Songs aren't easy to do, but if they manage to do more with the same level of quality of #FE, it would be great. Seeing more sides of the entertainment industry theme of the game and more interactions with it would definitely be a great addition, but this is a turn based RPG first, so they must be careful if they decide to integrate things like that.

2. I don't mind the current number of active party members during battle personally, the ability to switch them without spending your turn makes me feel that 3 is already fine.

3. There are already a lot of them, but more customisation options is almost always better I agree.

What makes you think that Nintendo would even give Atlus the chance to make a sequel to a game that they lost a lot of money on? At the end of the day Nintendo is a corporation and what matters most to them is their profit and appeasing share holders.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62903&page=3#entry4382691

I had a feeling that your contrition wouldn't really last, can't say I'm surprised. And funny that you mention something like that a few days (or is it already weeks ?) after something like Mirror's Edge Catalyst was released.

There are more reasons to make games than that (even if it's indeed the primary), we are talking about Nintendo here, not Ubisoft, Activision or EA. They already have funded multiple projects that obviously weren't going to sale great just because they needed more games (a few of example, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, both Platinum games, and we know how well Platinum games sell... Fatal Frame 5, Devil's Third, etc...).

This one has really passionate fanbase (enough to fill a concert hall twice the same day at least), reviewed really well both in Japan and the West, and all people on the project are interested in a sequel, that's much more than what I can say for most of the other games I referred earlier (not having anything against them though).

I can't say that you are wrong for saying that it is unlikely though, but there are definitely reasons if that ever happens.

Edited by Avk

The real X factor is going to be Kimishima and his philosophy towards software. Iwata was willing subsidize more niche products to make their ecosystem more attractive rather than relying exclusively on hit software. If Kimishima chooses to follow that path I think it's a question of when and not if TMS2 happens.

About the new stuff :

1. Lots of mirages would make the balancing of the game pretty difficult. And I feel like if they put too much mirages, just like if they implement it like they are demons or personas, it will make all of them feel less special. Having different ways to purify them is interesting though.

2. The mirage-exclusive items, carnage forms etc... isn't a bad idea in my opinion, but as I said previously, having multiple mirages per characers plus having tons of them and specific items for each of them would be a tremendous amount of work, balancing, designing, etc... I'm not sure they'll be able to do that with a game as focused and well done as #FE currently is.

3. "The Side Stories are already a really good "Social Link" experience" was what I thinking when I played last night, and even if you don't do a lot of things (mostly walking back and forth multiple points) it's already more interactive than in Persona. But of course, if they can improve it, they should go for it.

About the improvements :

1. Songs aren't easy to do, but if they manage to do more with the same level of quality of #FE, it would be great. Seeing more sides of the entertainment industry theme of the game and more interactions with it would definitely be a great addition, but this is a turn based RPG first, so they must be careful if they decide to integrate things like that.

2. I don't mind the current number of active party members during battle personally, the ability to switch them without spending your turn makes me feel that 3 is already fine.

3. There are already a lot of them, but more customisation options is almost always better I agree.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62903&page=3#entry4382691

I had a feeling that your contrition wouldn't really last, can't say I'm surprised. And funny that you mention something like that a few days (or is it already weeks ?) after something like Mirror's Edge Catalyst was released.

There are more reasons to make games than that (even if it's indeed the primary), we are talking about Nintendo here, not Ubisoft, Activision or EA. They already have funded multiple projects that obviously weren't going to sale great just because they needed more games (a few of example, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, both Platinum games, and we know how well Platinum games sell... Fatal Frame 5, Devil's Third, etc...).

This one has really passionate fanbase (enough to fill a concert hall twice the same day at least), reviewed really well both in Japan and the West, and all people on the project are interested in a sequel, that's much more than what I can say for most of the other games I referred earlier (not having anything against them though).

I can't say that you are wrong for saying that it is unlikely though, but there are definitely reasons if that ever happens.

Its fine that the staff are passionate about making a sequel, but again this doesn't mean it'll happen. Even if the game is getting alot of accolades and has a passionate fan base, if said audience is not big enough in Nintendo's eyes they'll never green light the creation of another game. It happened a Code Name S.T.E.A.M., and unless TMS # FE miraculously sells over half a million copies worldwide, the same thing will happen to this fledgling I.P. Edited by wraith

That is the thing about Nintendo; they're more willing to create niche game due to how their business is structured. Heck, their IP pool has increased if anything while everyone everyone else is struggling to maintain status quo. It's a long-term investment, especially with how they got Atlus and AVEX involved. It's a prestige title, one made to show quality instead of being a cash cow.

Anyway, getting things back on track, I think some other things to note is probably an expansion of the whole creative industry. Maybe one character wants to be writer, another wants to be a film director, another wants to be a musician (like a guitarist or something) etc. Plus another way to go about it is switching the action from Tokyo to somewhere else, like Osaka or Kyoto.