Ideas for a sequel.

The real X factor is going to be Kimishima and his philosophy towards software. Iwata was willing subsidize more niche products to make their ecosystem more attractive rather than relying exclusively on hit software. If Kimishima chooses to follow that path I think it's a question of when and not if TMS2 happens.

Fair enough Hardin, although I'm still highly skeptical. Edited by wraith

For me, just a couple things I want to see.

First, new things I want:

1. Lots of Mirages, taken from Fire Emblem's entire library. And to go along with this, having a purification system where, as we saw with Chrom and Caeda, be able to find other FE characters out "in the wild," so to speak, and battle with them and then purify them. There could be TONS of secret Mirages to find and unlock, which would be fantastic for exploration and add more excitement to exploring deeper. And even have some purifications make sense based on the character. Maybe you don't always fight a Mirage, maybe some of them you need to go through a sequence of puzzles, or reunite them with another Mirage, or find a certain item for them. And with having lots of Mirages...

2. Having the ability for characters to have multiple Mirages. I still think Mirages should be tied to a specific character, but have lots for each character. And then their Carnage forms could also be different based on which Mirage is currently "set" to them. Each Mirage also has its own equipment and certain skills to learn, especially unique Sessions Skills.

3. A Social Link system that's at least as fleshed out as the latest Persona games, though I'd like them to go even further with it. Just being able to do tons of side quests and have personal conversations with all of your characters would be fantastic.

And some upgrades and expansions on current stuff:

1. Lots and lots of songs! And building on that, more of an immersion in the idol industry - have the lessons mean something, and have them be interactive. I would not be opposed to some light rhythm games or other sorts of minigames that allow you to engage in lessons from singing to dancing to other types of idol events, and be able to build up your different idol skills and use them in ways to interact with the world. Could even integrate that into Social Links and purifying certain Mirages.

2. Four players in your active party. Please. Three characters is just too sparse. The battle system is gorgeous and fun, but I really want at least four players in the active party. Please.

3. A ton of costumes. I mean costumes out the wazoo. All over the place. A bajillion costumes to unlock. Maybe even a mix-and-match system where you have different wardrobe items corresponding to different parts, so you can mix and match tops, bottoms, shoes, hats, accessories, and even layer things in creative ways. I just love being able to dress characters up, the more options the better.

And that's all from me! I'm having a blast with the game, really hoping for a sequel.

All of these. x] For the multiple mirages, I thought that it would be fun if they did a Persona 3 like thing and had the main character able to cycle through various Mirages, and the side cast could just have one each. They definitely wouldn't be able to characterize the Mirages that way, though. D:

A time and/or date system (once again a la Persona 3) would be cool. I guess I always thought time management was fun in video games (though I suck at it in real life, lol), and seeing the school and having different after school activities to join really helped me see the world through the protagonist's eyes in Persona.

I haven't played the game yet, but I do have a few ideas:

1. Atlus might not want a sequel to take place outside of Japan, but that doesn't mean there cannot be one or two non-Japanese characters. One idea would be someone whose family moved to Japan for business reasons, and his mirage is Ike (a nod to the fact that Ike was the first English-speaking FE character in Smash Bros.). Because the character just moved, sometimes he forgets to speak Japanese instead of English. Another idea would be a tourist visiting Japan.

2. Obviously, since I mentioned Ike, more mirages from a greater number of FE games.

3. Maybe just a few more elements from Fire Emblem. One of the reasons I'm hesitating about getting this game is that this game seems to borrow more from SMT than Fire Emblem (as I said, I haven't played the game yet, so please inform me if I'm wrong).

3. Maybe just a few more elements from Fire Emblem. One of the reasons I'm hesitating about getting this game is that this game seems to borrow more from SMT than Fire Emblem (as I said, I haven't played the game yet, so please inform me if I'm wrong).

Honestly I'd like the opposite, i.e. more of an SMT influence, since only really the combat system is SMT (and there's a few demon mentions here and there).

I just thought of a couple other ideas for a sequel (I still haven't played this game yet, but I'm genuinely considering getting it).

A lot of people have agreed that the next game should have more mirages from more than just two Fire Emblem games. But therein lies the next question: which ones? I already suggested Ike from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn as someone I personally hope will be in a potential sequel. Some other characters that I think should be in the next game should be:

1. Azura, for the simple reason that, well, she is a songstress. That's literally the name of her class. That and she's from the most recent FE game.

2. Sephiran, because he can wield light and dark magic (and even if he's not a hero's mirage, he can be an interesting boss).

• 2 weeks later...

The real X factor is going to be Kimishima and his philosophy towards software. Iwata was willing subsidize more niche products to make their ecosystem more attractive rather than relying exclusively on hit software. If Kimishima chooses to follow that path I think it's a question of when and not if TMS2 happens.

Just a little update on the sales of TMS # FE and Nintendo's marketing and financial mindset moving forward.

Sources:

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/heres-how-many-units-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-sold-in-the-us/

http://alwaysnintendo.com/nintendo-talks-financials-advertising-revenues-sales-expectations/

According to ZhugeEX, the game only managed to sell 50,00 units during the month of June in the US. If we combined that with the other data we currently know of from the Japanese, European, and Australian markets, it would seem this game has only sold what I estimate to be between 150,000-200,000 copies worldwide. This makes it unlikely that we'll ever get a sequel to TMS, especially based on Shigeru Miyamoto's comments on wanting to create software that sells at least 2 million copies a pop and how Nintendo can't recoup the money that they invest in products that only sell around 300,00 copies in Japan, let alone globally.

Edited by wraith

Just a little update on the sales of TMS # FE and Nintendo's marketing and financial mindset moving forward.

Sources:

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/heres-how-many-units-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-sold-in-the-us/

http://alwaysnintendo.com/nintendo-talks-financials-advertising-revenues-sales-expectations/

According to ZhugeEX, the game only managed to sell 50,00 units during the month of June in the US. If we combined that with the other data we currently know of from the Japanese, European, and Australian markets, it would seem this game has only sold what I estimate to be between 150,000-200,000 copies worldwide. This makes it unlikely that we'll ever get a sequel to TMS, especially based on Shigeru Miyamoto's comments on wanting to create software that sells at least 2 million copies a pop and how Nintendo can't recoup the money that they invest in products that only sell around 300,00 copies in Japan, let alone globally.

Read the article again, because that's not what Miyamoto is saying. He's saying that they can't recoup costs if they ONLY release stuff that sells around 300k units. They obviously have to release stuff that sells 2 million, but that doesn't mean stuff that sells lower than that can't be released as well. If we took the "2 million" statement to heart then it would be nothing but Mario, Zelda, Smash, Pokemon... and Splatoon, I guess.

Unpopular opinion warning, if you can't handle people's opinions in a mature fashion, I highly suggest you stop reading.

I'd prefer if there's no Fire Emblem character/story/etc. influence. IMO the game is held back by Fire Emblem's weak story and them being scared to hurt the image of the Fire Emblem series (which is part of why they had all the incarnations of characters be weird and everything be not-canon). They have a really great game going on here but the FE references and inspirations are more of a bonus, I'd prefer if it could somehow become its own hardcore JRPG series independent of FE (though I like things like the weapon triangle-based weaknesses and FE-based classes/mirages/weapons, of course, so it wouldn't be quite that simple...).

I'd prefer it doubly so if they were to choose to get mirages from games like FE13 (again) and FE14. They'd be alienating all the people who hated Fates and the direction Fire Emblem is going into. As it is TMS#FE missed out on a lot of sales due to the odd direction it had and only focusing on FE11/13, the former being somewhat poorly received and not well-liked and the latter being highly controversial.

To me, a TMS sequel would basically be corrupted by having to deal with the crap of Fire Emblem, and I don't expect them to start making FE games I think are good (and even if they did it's too late to fix the abomination that was Fates—your personal opinion may differ, but the point is that it's a controversial game that a lot of people passionately dislike), so the only solution in my mind is to remove FE from the equation and keep what's good about the game.

I don't expect this to happen, but eh. It's hard to get good games IRL, so at least let me dream, lol.

Edited by Crimson Red

Read the article again, because that's not what Miyamoto is saying. He's saying that they can't recoup costs if they ONLY release stuff that sells around 300k units. They obviously have to release stuff that sells 2 million, but that doesn't mean stuff that sells lower than that can't be released as well. If we took the "2 million" statement to heart then it would be nothing but Mario, Zelda, Smash, Pokemon... and Splatoon, I guess.

Yes and this is why we'll never see a sequel to TMS # FE because it hasn't even sold 300,000 units. The feeling that I get from reading this article is that Nintendo will be focusing on their first party I.P.s moving forward, the ones that will actually make them money. It wouldn't be sustainable for them to continue to release games like they did during the Wii U's lifespan that didn't sell very well and thus didn't garner a large install base for the console. I believe that someone was once quoted saying that if a Fire Emblem game was made for the Wii U it would have to sell at least 700,000 units to make a healthy profit. If this is what a FE game had to sell in order to be profitable I get the feeling that TMS would have to pull in similar numbers, which it hasn't done. I think the days of Nintendo subsidizing small games maybe coming to a close, based solely on the fact that creating console games is very expensive. Indie games maybe able to thrive on a small budget, but if Nintendo wants to stay in competition with Sony and Microsoft they have to develop a lot games with the same standards as other triple a games on the market that will make them a good profit.

Edited by wraith

Unpopular opinion warning, if you can't handle people's opinions in a mature fashion, I highly suggest you stop reading.

I'd prefer if there's no Fire Emblem character/story/etc. influence. IMO the game is held back by Fire Emblem's weak story and them being scared to hurt the image of the Fire Emblem series (which is part of why they had all the incarnations of characters be weird and everything be not-canon). They have a really great game going on here but the FE references and inspirations are more of a bonus, I'd prefer if it could somehow become its own hardcore JRPG series independent of FE (though I like things like the weapon triangle-based weaknesses and FE-based classes/mirages/weapons, of course, so it wouldn't be quite that simple...).

I'd prefer it doubly so if they were to choose to get mirages from games like FE13 (again) and FE14. They'd be alienating all the people who hated Fates and the direction Fire Emblem is going into. As it is TMS#FE missed out on a lot of sales due to the odd direction it had and only focusing on FE11/13, the former being somewhat poorly received and not well-liked and the latter being highly controversial.

To me, a TMS sequel would basically be corrupted by having to deal with the crap of Fire Emblem, and I don't expect them to start making FE games I think are good (and even if they did it's too late to fix the abomination that was Fates—your personal opinion may differ, but the point is that it's a controversial game that a lot of people passionately dislike), so the only solution in my mind is to remove FE from the equation and keep what's good about the game.

I don't expect this to happen, but eh. It's hard to get good games IRL, so at least let me dream, lol.

I agree that this game would have been better off divested of the FE license, but if a sequel was ever to be made it would be important for the developers to focus on making a better story then that which is on offer in TMS. As far as I'm concerned the story was nothing more then a watered down pastiche of Persona 4's plot without any of that game's depth or charm.

Edited by wraith

Yes and this is why we'll never see a sequel to TMS # FE because it hasn't even sold 300,000 units. The feeling that I get from reading this article is that Nintendo will be focusing on their first party I.P.s moving forward, the ones that will actually make them money. It wouldn't be sustainable for them to continue to release games like they did during the Wii U's lifespan that didn't sell very well and thus didn't garner a large install base for the console. I believe that someone was once quoted saying that if a Fire Emblem game was made for the Wii U it would have to sell at least 700,000 units to make a healthy profit. If this is what a FE game had to sell in order to be profitable I get the feeling that TMS would have to pull in similar numbers, which it hasn't done. I think the days of Nintendo subsidizing small games maybe coming to a close, based solely on the fact that creating console games is very expensive. Indie games maybe to able thrive on a small budget, but if Nintendo wants to stay in competition with Sony and Microsoft they have to develop a lot games with the same standards as other triple a games on the market that will make them a good profit.

I guess we'll see. Nintendo can sometimes be so unpredictable that you can never tell what they can or will do in the future. And nowadays they have so many different sources of income that go beyond console and handheld gaming that subsidizing games from other companies look like a small side project.

Heck, they might just use all their profits from Pokemon Go to fund all their next gen of games.

I guess we'll see. Nintendo can sometimes be so unpredictable that you can never tell what they can or will do in the future. And nowadays they have so many different sources of income that go beyond console and handheld gaming that subsidizing games from other companies look like a small side project.

Heck, they might just use all their profits from Pokemon Go to fund all their next gen of games.

The problem is that even with these extra sources of revenue Nintendo's software and hardware sales is still what brings in the big bucks. As for Pokémon Go the developers will have to continue to create new content and updates to smooth out any problems the game has in order to for it to remain popular.

Edited by wraith

The problem is that even with these extra sources of revenue Nintendo's software and hardware sales is still what brings in the big bucks.

As for Pokémon Go the developers will have to continue to create new content and updates to smooth out any problems the game has in order to for it to remain popular.

Not anymore. The world is changing and Nintendo is embracing different markets and forms of entertainment. They've already stated interest in movies and amusement parks, which definitely have potential of bringing in big money.

Well yeah, that much is obvious. I have no doubt they'll do just that, though. Heck, just keep adding the other Pokemon Gens and you have content for years.

Not anymore. The world is changing and Nintendo is embracing different markets and forms of entertainment. They've already stated interest in movies and amusement parks, which definitely have potential of bringing in big money.

Well yeah, that much is obvious. I have no doubt they'll do just that, though. Heck, just keep adding the other Pokemon Gens and you have content for years.

We'll have to wait and see then if these endeavors prove successful for Nintendo.

• 3 weeks later...

How about upgrading different Mirages with unique skill sets? Here's the basic idea:

Character A is a sword user, and starts with three sword using Mirages. He'll start with Lon'qu, Gregor and Gaius. They each give A different stat bonuses, and level up like Carnages, teaching skills, passives and so on. But the difference comes in that A. They have more than 4-5 skills, more like 10-20. B. They can be switched in-battle, changing A's appearance, stats and skillset on the fly.

Gregor gives the highest Strength and Defence bonuses and comes with lots of Sword and support magic.

Lon'qu gives more elemental attacks like Thunder Strike, Frost Strike and Gale Strike.

Gaius has skills that guaranty enemies drop items and passive money boosters.

After a Mirage maxes out his skills, a Master Seal can be used to transform it into a new character: Gregor becomes Raven, Lon'qu, Guy, and Gaius, Matthew. It gives them bigger statistical bonuses and new skills to learn as well as updating the in-battle appearance of A.

I've been enjoying this game so far, for sure, but there are still things I'd love for a sequel to fix/improve upon:

1. Have mirages from games besides just 1/3/11/12 and 13. Pretty obvious.

2. Let the main character be removed from fights. I love this sort of game where you can switch characters mid-battle and that forms part of your strategy (e.g. Final Fantasy X, Mana Khemia) and there's a reason why those games don't force the main, since it's strategically limiting to only be able to rotate two slots. No, the excuse that Fire Emblem and SMT usually force the main isn't good enough for me.

3. English voice acting. I understand wanting to leave the songs in Japanese; they are well-done and I understand they would be very expensive to reproduce in anywhere near that quality in English. That's fine; subtitles are appropriate for them. But not translating simple dialog just comes across as lazy and makes the localization feel cheap. Even worse are the Japanese dialog that has no subtitles at all! (e.g. battle banter) The latter is completely unacceptable IMO. Also not translating Barry means any English-speaker is immediately aware of how bad his Japanese voice work is.

4. I feel like the skill system could be improved in a few ways. I feel like there should be a way to switch between different skills you've already learned instead of needing to relearn them via grinding the same skills off a weapon again, at least at specific points in dungeons and at your home base. I also really dislike how much you need to backtrack out of the (large) dungeons in order to continuously make new weapons with the drops you find, again I feel like at worst this should have been doable at specific points where you can uplink to Tiki mid-dungeon.

I could say more about a wishlist for writing but I highly doubt the intersection of SMT and Fire Emblem is ever going to create something which will appeal to me writing-wise. If I ever get proven wrong on this I will consider that a welcome bonus.