Do you take down Ike in Part III; Chapter 13

I always unequip Ike's Ragnell and give him a weaker sword so he's easier to take down :P I also always have to make sure he doesn't have any skills like Miracle or Corrosion.

Edited by SSbardock84

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can keep attacking him for 3 or 4 phases and he'll be down. Not that he's godly as a hero.

Which is far more time than I care to waste just to end the chapter early - it ain't worth the high risk of casualties in my book. And I highly doubt that you'll even have anyone suited to take him on unless you're lowmanning, which I already made it clear I have a low opinion of.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

It can be done even in fast paced playthroughs, heck I always did this on drafts, which are far more limited scenarios than regular ltcing. As I said, any 3rd tier DBer can take him reliably.

Any Tier 3 DB member can take out Ike; I'm especially fond of having Meg go mano a mano with him in draft playthroughs, although that would definitely count as low-manning, so YMMV. However, it's usually not worth it since the DB units you're trying to train could really use the EXP for waiting this chapter out to help them in Part 4, and it's not like you get anything for beating him anyway. LTC/Draft playthroughs are the only times I would consider going after him. Even with Ragnell equipped, he's not that difficult to take down, though.

I always beat him, but wait until he advances near the end. Sleep with Laura, Purge with Miccy, and then throw everyone else at him.

Not really, I never find it woth it or satisfactory to be honest, and as I really like to go in defense mode, I have way more fun trying to defend everything they throw at me than going for Ike and end the chaper quickly, I don't want to end my fun so quick.

Edited by Purikaman

I saw a Trueblade Edward in one of the posts... I wonder how well it would have made it if we used the Japanese system where it requires the use of promotional items.

I don't recall if a Master Crown even appears before then.

I saw a Trueblade Edward in one of the posts... I wonder how well it would have made it if we used the Japanese system where it requires the use of promotional items.

I don't recall if a Master Crown even appears before then.

You do get two in base conversations in 3-6 and 3-12.

I don't think I ever have because I am too busy kicking Laguz butt to go out and attack him and by the time he reaches me the chapter normally ends. I might try next time I play just for fun, since I never have tried.

What does low manning mean?

Pretty much what Ana said it was.

It can be done even in fast paced playthroughs, heck I always did this on drafts, which are far more limited scenarios than regular ltcing. As I said, any 3rd tier DBer can take him reliably.

Any Tier 3 DB member can take out Ike; I'm especially fond of having Meg go mano a mano with him in draft playthroughs, although that would definitely count as low-manning, so YMMV. However, it's usually not worth it since the DB units you're trying to train could really use the EXP for waiting this chapter out to help them in Part 4, and it's not like you get anything for beating him anyway. LTC/Draft playthroughs are the only times I would consider going after him. Even with Ragnell equipped, he's not that difficult to take down, though.

Be that as it may, I don't think that promoting someone early just to take on Ike would be worth it, especially since I don't even get anything for having to do something that has a high risk of not ending well for me.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Yes. I send him to sleep with Micaiah and then have Trueblade Edward do the actual attacking.

It's about the only time that Micaiah does anything useful in the game past Part 1...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Pretty much what Ana said it was.

Be that as it may, I don't think that promoting someone early just to take on Ike would be worth it, especially since I don't even get anything for having to do something that has a high risk of not ending well for me.

It is not promoting someone early just to beat Ike, since in itself it is unimportant and just and an optional objective. Early promoting any DBer is more a bad thing rather than a good one, because they are expected to be statistically messy by 20/10, or at least have capped their most important stats. Additional BEXP levels are used to fix other issues. Anyways, not going so much in depth with this. The reward for beating Ike ultimately is finishing the chapter before the limit (12?).

Now that I know the meaning of low manning, I do question its meaning since it becomes awfully subjective in RD, where you have a pool of 77 or so characters. For example, in my eyes low manning DB is using only 1 unit, while most of you guys think using 3 units is low manning because you would normally use all of the DB or 5 or 7 idk. I bring this because I got used to play efficiently, I don't like wasting exp, time and resources in units I won't choose and instead I focus on the units I chose to use for endgame. This comes from the idea that DB exp spread is critical and it is best to have a few competent units rather than a team of crappy units that grant much more risk than 1-3 units that you can safely throw in any chapter.

I never found it hard to promote someone of the DB till 3-13 if someone got paragon in 3-6 and 3-12.

If I give paragon to Jill she can reach about level 15 at the end of 3-12. Magic, speed and resistance are normally capped. I try to give her max two bexp. levels to max out her strength or defense if neither happened. And then I promote her for 3-13.

If Ike is speedscrewed (like often) Jill has maybe a chance to double Ike.

Now that I know the meaning of low manning, I do question its meaning since it becomes awfully subjective in RD, where you have a pool of 77 or so characters. For example, in my eyes low manning DB is using only 1 unit, while most of you guys think using 3 units is low manning because you would normally use all of the DB or 5 or 7 idk. I bring this because I got used to play efficiently, I don't like wasting exp, time and resources in units I won't choose and instead I focus on the units I chose to use for endgame. This comes from the idea that DB exp spread is critical and it is best to have a few competent units rather than a team of crappy units that grant much more risk than 1-3 units that you can safely throw in any chapter.

Low-manning is a bit of a grey area where the Dawn Brigade is concerned, yeah. Still, most efficient playthroughs will still take advantage of all or most (Fiona is nigh useless) of the units you can deploy in their chapters for auxiliary tasks while funneling the majority of the EXP into 2-3 units being seriously trained for Part 4. Sothe, Volug and Zihark are all capable of contributing without needing any EXP, Leonardo has Lughnasadh and ballista utility, Jill can ferry people, Laura heals regardless of her level, etc.

It's more relevant in other games in the series, however, especially Sacred Stones (where basically soloing the game with Seth is easier than trying to train all the scrubs the game gives you) and Awakening (Robin gets ridiculous really fast thanks to Veteran). Still, even in the rest of the series, putting a majority of the game's early EXP into a single unit/small amount of units lets them snowball out of control until basically endgame. It can make the game really easy, but also extremely boring.

It is not promoting someone early just to beat Ike, since in itself it is unimportant and just and an optional objective. Early promoting any DBer is more a bad thing rather than a good one, because they are expected to be statistically messy by 20/10, or at least have capped their most important stats. Additional BEXP levels are used to fix other issues. Anyways, not going so much in depth with this. The reward for beating Ike ultimately is finishing the chapter before the limit (12?).

Given how dangerous a target Ike is, the general situation, and the fact that I don't get anything for the trouble, I don't consider finishing the chapter early enough or a reward to be worth risking the high chance of suffering casualties and having to restart. That being said, I don't have an issue with under deploying in the part 3 Daein chapters since I don't want liabilities like Edward dragging the team down.

Low-manning is a bit of a grey area where the Dawn Brigade is concerned, yeah. Still, most efficient playthroughs will still take advantage of all or most (Fiona is nigh useless) of the units you can deploy in their chapters for auxiliary tasks while funneling the majority of the EXP into 2-3 units being seriously trained for Part 4. Sothe, Volug and Zihark are all capable of contributing without needing any EXP, Leonardo has Lughnasadh and ballista utility, Jill can ferry people, Laura heals regardless of her level, etc.

It's more relevant in other games in the series, however, especially Sacred Stones (where basically soloing the game with Seth is easier than trying to train all the scrubs the game gives you) and Awakening (Robin gets ridiculous really fast thanks to Veteran). Still, even in the rest of the series, putting a majority of the game's early EXP into a single unit/small amount of units lets them snowball out of control until basically endgame. It can make the game really easy, but also extremely boring.

I'd honestly say low-manning isn't that good a strategy in Fates, thanks to the new exp formula being stricter on higher level units. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Watching Gwimpage's speed run gave me the pro tip of equipping Ike with a non Ragnell weapon at the end of 3-11 so you can nuke him in 3-13. I down Ike in all my runs, typically with a brave axe assault from 3rd tier resolve Jill + a rigged stun proc. Shoutouts to no weapon triangle in HM.

Im usually using that chapter to milk CEXP out of the laguz, for all its worth. So i usually dont attack Ike.

I always beat him, but wait until he advances near the end. Sleep with Laura, Purge with Miccy, and then throw everyone else at him.

hahah nice! I should try it sometime. My thing is, i always get Ike and Soren at an A support by that time and my Soren is usually the highest leveled GM dude on the map. So getting into his range is suicide. Plus the A support means Ike (unless Sleep'd or something) is gonna dodgetank even Fiona's Killer Lance at third tier.

i do wanna say that Soren does not move, so on the last 2 turns Ike will move out of soren's support range.

That is true, but usually all of the GMs are moving by that time and depending how things go, it may or may not be efficient to take out Ike. Especially if theres a third tier Shinon creeping up on the left side and Nolan isnt promoted yet.

Considering Ike doesn't move, I usually take down Soren early, then move away from Ike for the rest of the stage until the last.

Yah, it's always a fun challenge to go for. I really like buidling up my "Ike slayer" for that moment. Generally varies between runs:

Yah, it's always a fun challenge to go for. I really like buidling up my "Ike slayer" for that moment. Generally varies between runs:

I can imagine it helps to use a Marksman with not having to worry about Ike attacking back, even though you took him out with your first attack anyways. Love that song btw.