Dinar87's first battle sprite gallery!!

Dinar87

Hi everyone! I just very recently (about a month ago) got into sprite making and animation, and I'd love some feedback on my latest work.

Introducing the Fencer class-a trainee version of the myrmidon class! As such, things like the characters sword length (don't take this the wrong way) and height is meant to be smaller than his promoted class.

And now introducing another class named the Trueblade class. Fans of Radiant Dawn might recognise this as the promoted version of the sword master class!

[spoiler=The Fencer class]
VFG2R2w.gif
Normal attack
BsjLJC8.gif
Critical Attack
l5rhywu.gif
Magic sword attack
p1fJfsT.gif
Dodge no weapon-1
iEevAeU.gif

Dodge weapon-1
EZNHrjs.gif
Dodge no weapon-2
4DgJvXM.gif
Dodge weapon-2

This is the latest animation I've made

[spoiler=Trueblade class]
r0DAzmp.gif
Normal attack
bskmYI0.gif
Critical attack
9Qvpf8H.gif
Skill:Nova-strick 10 times at normal damage!
W3M1f0f.gif
Magic sword
h4sqjRN.gif
Weapon dodge
S2S8sy9.gif
No weapon dodge

Yeeeaaaaahhhh this one isn't all that great (though believe it or not it took well over a week to fully complete). And I (currently) don't feel like going back to fix it.

[spoiler=White Druid class]
IYs9tGe.gif
Normal Attack
BzYfIEK.gif
Critical attack
x1EIYiN.gif
Skill
CLxGFuk.gif
Dodge
a0ITMYk.gif
Staff
l7asOaq.gif
Staff dodge

Despite the shading (which I really struggle with), this is only the first animation I made.

[spoiler=Murderer class]
nMsVwe2.gif
Normal attack
REyfXmx.gif
Critical attack
7GJEv4X.gif
Magic attack
RbioXh0.gif
Dodge weapon
xjx1eRc.gif
Dodge no weapon

Whilst this one isn't exactly perfect (especially the shading) I still like it :P

[spoiler=Hitman battle sprites]
OIvr3gR.gif
Normal attack
InjsAnG.gif
Critical
r9BbqSG.gif
Magic sword
95oNiUL.gif
Dodge weapon
tgyaPyc.gif
Dodge no weapon

[spoiler=trueblade map sprites]
qmabwVu.gif
passive
5wOHDGJ.gif
active
ySPlPaN.gif
walking down
iEpD6e7.gif
walking up
EltK6ey.gif
walking left

[spoiler=Map Sprites-White Druid]
ukqvBoc.gif
Passive
FE1VWBM.gif
Cursor placed over
Suyzsjb.gif
Walking down
1qfDLsQ.gif
Walking up
L7igEQo.gif
Walking left/right

[spoiler=Murderer map spites]
p8TayJC.gif
Passive
PygQi9C.gif
Active
wlGdc3Y.gif
Walking down
YpjGy3v.gif
Walking left
IuJyNxq.gif
Walking up
While this one isn't too horrible I HAAAATTTTEEEE the 'Walking left' on...the only reason I haven't changed it is because I literally can't think of a better animation to use for it.

[spoiler=Robber map sprites]
tQNXozR.gif
Passive
J7ESoWw.gif
Active
c4kirFs.gif
Walking down
ir9iNc9.gif
Walking left
cJ6VEjC.gif
Walking up

[spoiler=Other]
NgyUtcD.gif
fyObBeM.png
H8Ohkeb.png

I hope you guys like these! These took a pretty long time to make so I hope they turned out well!

Edited by Dinar87

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there :D aaaanyways, this art style is pretty adorable, not exactly vanilla fe battle sprites but adorable, good first attempt...I guess? I don't think I'm competent enough to give actual critiques :P

I would make the sword a bit longer. Otherwise, this is amazing! I would gladly play a game with this kind of battle sprites! Just, don't mix them with the regular vanilla ones. I can see a FEXP/FEXNA project with sprites like these having a great success thanks to the graphical difference to other projects.

Thanks for the feedback guys! If it wouldn't trouble you, could anyone tell me what I need to edit to make sure these are on par with the vanilla gba sprites?

Oh, and the reason the sword is very short is because this class is meant to be a trainee version of the myrmidon class!

Edited by Dinar87

(Sorry guys but I don't know how to post these gifs where you don't have to click on them to see the animation. Some advice here would be appriciated!)

Well let's see how they're attached to the post

[img=http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_images/Serenes_Forest/attachicon.gif] [url=http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=9108]Exp7.dodgeweapon2.wm.gif[/url]
Oh. WELL THEN.

In that case, uhh... uuhhhh.

I have no idea how to get it to work predictably from serenes' uploader. But the usual answer is upload to some other site (photobucket, imgur, majhost, gyazo, prntscrn/lightshot, dropbox, etc) and get the image's url from them, then stick the url after the [plain]plain and close it with another ].

e.g

[img=http://serenesforest.net/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2016/post-25195-0-88825700-1466849470.gif]
like this:

post-25195-0-88825700-1466849470.gifpost-25195-0-38035900-1466849485.gif

post-25195-0-10119800-1466849510.gif

post-25195-0-69656200-1466849531.gifpost-25195-0-09088100-1466849553.gif

post-25195-0-10940100-1466849601.gifpost-25195-0-96718900-1466849623.gif

now onto writing up some actual crit on the sprites, which make take 5ever

Edited by Eliwan

"5ever" apparently equals 5 hours .-.

332k6uG.png

* ok not really but if you're spriting in the style of vanilla you should reference vanilla

there are plenty of amazing sprite artists who adapt a similar / nearly identical style though, especially around this forum if you look

As an aside that will take me a long time to get into,

pr92xIb.png

this is, while not the worst I've seen, bad practice, because the hit has super low weight.

Edited by Eliwan

Ok thanks for the criticism. So the problems are...
1. The head needs to have different coloured hair AND just in general be replaced.
2. The lighting also offers "basically no definition of the character's body and stance" (not sure what you mean by this).
3. The motion blur is wrong because "the hit has super low weight" (again, I'm confused as to what you mean by this).
4. Shoes are too big

I'm very sorry but I simply don't understand some of your criticisms as I don't really know what you mean by things like "the hit has super low weight". Again, I'm still fairly new at this and, if you can be bothered to do so, would you mind telling me exactly what should be done?

Also, now that I've made the animations, how do you think I should change them? Start from scratch?

Edited by Dinar87

Since I'm not sure how to get the URL from imgur I'm just going to post a direct link to the image.
Nevermind. I've figured it out!

Also, it'd be handy later on to know how to delete posts.

One last thing, I'd like to just be able to post png files from gimp but, for some reason, this site won't let me do that.

Edited by Dinar87

Yeah, so some handy links and images to help you out. :)

[spoiler=Those links]

Spriters' Resources

Forum Guidelines

[spoiler=Some refs for Proportions]

ErrantShepherd/Shep - 06/13/2016
PROPORTIONS-FireEmblem_zps4189f4ac.png
About proportions.
FE-Custom-FemLordWIP_zps608da82c.png
-An example of the type of proportions/standing for a FEGBA style battle sprite. What you need is to have the legs not at the same height, but the furthest away leg from the screen and arm should be smaller due to 3/4 perspective. :D

sU51Epm.png?1

good ref for sure

Hope these help! Very cool stuff, btw. :D

Sorry but how in the world do you group together stuff as "spoilers"? I really need to know as I want to post FAR more sprites but what's currently limiting me is...
1. If I post without spoliers in the main post things will get very crowded.
2. If I make a new post, people will just think I'm purposefully bumping my own thread to get attention instead of editing my main post.

As you can see, I'm in a bit of a tricky situation and, as you've kindly helped me before, would you be willing to tell me how it's done?

EDIT: While i didn't totally understand the 'proportions' thread I have redesigned the fencer class. Should I start again with this as the base?
fbv8uvU.png

Edited by Dinar87

I'm not done, my computer is stupid and prematurely posted the post >.<

Now that I'm on my computer I can give some better idea on what the sprite is doing wrong (I guess)

So:

-The outline for the head is solid black and not the outline colour for vanilla sprites

-The arms are very skinny, I can't say exactly how wide arms are but...yeah

-The head looks...smushed...and a tad too big?

-There is a bit of banding and pillow-shading (look at me, trying to sound smart) going on with the arm and the hair:

-For clarification purposes:

-Banding: Shading pixels placed along the outline

-Pillow-shading: Shading made without a light source in mind

Made some edits, not the best quality, but it should give you an idea as to what's wrong...maybe? Meh :/

temp_zpspmmyrr9a.png

Edited by BlazeKing

Thanks for the feedback. So in conclusion...
1. The head is too big.
2. The outline of the head needs to be a colour other than black.
3. Arms are too skinny
4. Highlight the light sources (and shade better).

I'll have a new version up very soon :)

EDIT#1: DONE...for now.
gu0VGYu.png
Personally I like the old one better but whatever...

EDIT#2: Another one...
v2nn1dC.png

Edited by Dinar87

Sorry but how in the world do you group together stuff as "spoilers"? I really need to know as I want to post FAR more sprites but what's currently limiting me is...

1. If I post without spoliers in the main post things will get very crowded.

2. If I make a new post, people will just think I'm purposefully bumping my own thread to get attention instead of editing my main post.

If you have new content, or are replying to people it's perfectly fine to make a new post in your own topic. You can even double post in here if you wish/have something new.(warning: double-post exception only applies to the art forums)

[spoiler=On spoilers]Spoilers BTW are done as [spoile r ] and to close [/spoile r ](without the spaces), you can even title your spoiler by doing spoiler=<randomtitle> as well within the square brackets.

As you can see, I'm in a bit of a tricky situation and, as you've kindly helped me before, would you be willing to tell me how it's done?

EDIT: While i didn't totally understand the 'proportions' thread I have redesigned the fencer class. Should I start again with this as the base?fbv8uvU.png

I feel the previous version had a better looking stance and proportions... it just needs some tweaks to fit the style better... this one has a lack of proper arm joints among other problems.

Edited by ErrantShepherd

Just in case you didn't check my first post, I made some edits of my own:

-Made the head smaller

-Fixed the arm and legs

-Made the sword a tad bit bigger

temp_zpspmmyrr9a.png

My god that looks waaaaayy better 0_0

Also, since Errant seemed to like the first version of the fencer better I'll try and modify that one.

Edited by Dinar87

Just uploaded a brand new class...don't expect anything good though as it was only the second animation I worked on :/

It's a good idea for an animation, but it looks very unnatural in several poses and the blur frames, the animation itself is quite choppy, needs more frames to actually work, if that makes sense.

It's actually pretty ok for a first few attempts thing, I suppose

Edited by BlazeKing

It's a good idea for an animation, but it looks very unnatural in several poses and the blur frames, the animation itself is quite choppy, needs more frames to actually work, if that makes sense.

It's actually pretty ok for a first few attempts thing, I suppose

Which parts look unnatural exactly? Was there too much motion blur because that was kinda the whole point of the class's animations-to be over the top flashy.

Anyways, once again, thankyou for the feedback!

EDIT: for now though, I'd just like to focus on improving the fencer class. Have any of you got anymore suggestions?

2YuKWc4.png

Edited by Dinar87

Actually, the animation is decently smooth, it's just my phone being dumb and breaking the gifs, but yeah, the poses for the entirety of the animation is very...unnatural, idk how to explain it further ._. ...Errant, save me!

Actually, the animation is decently smooth, it's just my phone being dumb and breaking the gifs, but yeah, the poses for the entirety of the animation is very...unnatural, idk how to explain it further ._. ...Errant, save me!

Yeah, it looks pretty bad doesn't it?

I suppose this is what you mean by "unnatural"?

uUIwG0J.png

Edited by Dinar87

I've made a new version of the fencer class...could someone tell me what I have to do to improve it?
yhj2y69.png
EDIT: Made a few more edits to it...is it any better?
ByGhvGe.png

Edited by Dinar87

I've made a new version of the fencer class...could someone tell me what I have to do to improve it?

yhj2y69.png

EDIT: Made a few more edits to it...is it any better?

ByGhvGe.png

I would suggest you go ahead and edit/mess around with the vanilla spritesheets first, it can help you get an idea of how the sprites look and how animations work, because everything looks very misshapen, sorry for being blunt can't really word it any other way :/