Dinar87's first battle sprite gallery!!

Dinar87

Yeah, it looks pretty bad doesn't it?

I suppose this is what you mean by "unnatural"?

uUIwG0J.png

Ouch. I'm not anywhere near Errant's level, but the first thing I can see is that yes, this looks very unnatural. His entire body looks very stiff and the motion blur is way, way too huge and flat looking. Try looking at fighting game animations and the FE sprites to see how expressive and action-y they are.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. I'm not anywhere near Errant's level, but the first thing I can see is that yes, this looks very unnatural. His entire body looks very stiff and the motion blur is way, way too huge and flat looking. Try looking at fighting game animations and the FE sprites to see how expressive and action-y they are.

Thanks for the feedback but there's a few things I'm confused about..."looks stiff" and "flat looking" aren't exact enough for me to understand what's actually gone wrong with the sprite. I know how it looks "unnatural" because the human arm cannot physically bend that far back...so I know I need a different pose entirely where the arm isn't bend that far back.

In other words, I need EXACT things to improve rather than somewhat vague answers that I'm currently being given. No to sound too arrogant, but I simply can't understand how to improve my work with the current suggestions. It's not that I think it's perfect or anything but rather I just don't understand what's being said to me. Sorry, but "looks stiff" isn't enough information to go on. No offense.

Edited by Dinar87

It's OK. No offense taken. I appreciate that some more specific input will be more helpful. Just, you know, also try to appreciate that the majority on here are hobbyist amateurs as well, so their reviews are coming from the best of their ability too. So while we see things we may either not be able to convey it properly, or assume you know what we mean. :)

That said it's good for both parties to understand each other when giving/recieving critique. So asking for clarification is good. ;)

I will try to have a more in-depth explanation for you later tonight if I get the chance.

As for looks stiff and looks flat... flat would probably be referring to the shading, either not having enough contrast... or not having a consistent light source in the shading. Making it appear flat or 2D over three dimensional.

Looks stiff would be referring to the curves and definition of the body. Straight lines are easier to draw but end up looking stiff and unnatural. Something you may want to consider is drawing a skeleton on top of your current sprites to figure out the joints and such. As sometimes your arms appear to have elbows in the wrong place or your limbs appear more noodlelike or pipelike than properly defined.

Does that help/make sense?

Edited by ErrantShepherd

Honestly, I'm still sticking to my initial suggestion, try making edits to exiting sprites and making static sprites before trying full custom and animations, editing existing vanilla battlesprites can help you get used to the shape of the shoes/arms/heads and generally the basic proportions of a battlesprites, and, like splicing portraits, it kinda rubs off and you can kinda grasp on how the battlesprites work...if that makes sense ._.

Ok guys thanks for the suggetsions! I should point out that when I make sprites I literally start from one end and continue-no skeletons, wireframes,etc... or anything! Maybe trying a different style would help...

Looks stiff simply means that he limbs are properly defined. I assume that's what you meant by "noodle-like".
Looks flat refers to not enough contrast/no consistent light source.

So in other words...make sure limbs are properly drawn and have a consistent light source. Correct?

I'll see what I can do with this new information...

Attempt.no6 incoming!! rQOmu2q.png
Boy, this one took a LOT of work that it was actually stressful to make. I really tried with this one so I hope it went well,

As for editing official sprites...
DuI9SkN.png
Once again this took a while to make. Tbh I'm kinda getting tired of making sprites as, no matter what I do, it just isn't good enough. It's very morally taxing to know that, even if you put in a huge amount of effort, it'll still look garbage. My only hope is that, after enough failures I'll somehow produce one that's actually decent but even then, that isn't even guaranteed to happen.

I don't want to worry you guys or anything but I think I'll take a break from making sprites for now.

Edited by Dinar87

Attempt.no6 incoming!! rQOmu2q.png

Boy, this one took a LOT of work that it was actually stressful to make. I really tried with this one so I hope it went well,

As for editing official sprites...DuI9SkN.png

Once again this took a while to make. Tbh I'm kinda getting tired of making sprites as, no matter what I do, it just isn't good enough. It's very morally taxing to know that, even if you put in a huge amount of effort, it'll still look garbage. My only hope is that, after enough failures I'll somehow produce one that's actually decent but even then, that isn't even guaranteed to happen.

I don't want to worry you guys or anything but I think I'll take a break from making sprites for now.

Awww, don't feel like that, everyone starts out noob-ish, sure you might kinda suck in the beginning, but if you really try and put effort into it, you can improve, trial and error and all that good stuff, as they say. Also, having people constantly critiquing one thing you made until it looks great is better than switching between several projects, just saying

The problem isn't with you guys, it's with me. The logical part of my brain tells me that "critcism is good because then, after enough attempts, you can finally achieve your goal of helping bwdyeti finish immortal sword. Not just finish but expand it with new classes and stuff". Unfortunately, my emotional side is like "WHY WON'T ANYONE APPRECIATE MY SPRITES THAT EACH TOOK OVER A WEEK TO MAKE! *GASP* HOW DAAAREE THEY!1!!" and, sadly for me, I don't have total control over my emotions. Because of this, even though I know the emotions are misplaced, I can't help but feel terrible after recieving criticism...even though I know it's a good thing and a sign that people care and want to help. In other words, despite having practically no self confidence (for a bunch of reasons I won't get into now), I need to somehow learn to deal with criticism or I'll never be good enough to achieve my goals of helping bwdyeti finish immortal sword.

I hope this isn't too heavy material to discuss on the forums. I don't want anyone to feel bad about what they've done. And yes, I realise it sounds foolish to even think of helping someone of the skill level of bwdyeti at this stage. I just want to be able to overcome this flaw of mine so I can finally achieve something in my life.

Edited by Dinar87

*pats Dinar gently*

Its okay bud... just ya know... relax.

Giving and receiving criticism is something that is a learned process. No one is perfect at either of them, especially from the start.

You have been receiving lots of constructive criticism here, definitely designed to try and help fix issues that we can see. But I can appreciate its disheartening to hear alot of Crit and perhaps not so much praise.

---

So, all that said, I have been showing your stuff to other people in various chats. You have some really good potential. I think you could become one of the better battle spriters on here with some practice... but as you have said, you've really just started. Many of us have been at this for months, or even years... so we are familiar with the style.

Really, it just takes practice to get familiar with the style. Blaze's advice of working with official sprites is a good one. I would say, keep doing what you have been doing with your custom animations... because those are impressive even if they have some issues.(We can try and help you fix those of course)

Yeah, and don't get too hung up on things you are struggling with right now... it will come with time and practice. Right now, you ARE good at Animations. So, try doing more of those perhaps? ...and practice proportions and shading on the side. Just my two cents.

I hope you don't give up... because I have enjoyed seeing some talented upcoming Battle Spriters on the forums. :o

Edited by ErrantShepherd

Honestly, you have to check out Blaze's first sprites. They were, uh...eh...(Not that mine are better lmao)

And honestly, try out a new style. Poke'mon, Mega Man, Final Fantasy...All pretty popular styles that'll teach you something new. And don't be afraid to check out some tutorials not related to FE sprites, your pixel art gets better with any sort of progress you make!

"WHY WON'T ANYONE APPRECIATE MY SPRITES THAT EACH TOOK OVER A WEEK TO MAKE! *GASP* HOW DAAAREE THEY!1!!"

..do you mean that it only took you a week to build those animations?

in that case i am the jelly

I hope this isn't too heavy material to discuss on the forums. I don't want anyone to feel bad about what they've done. And yes, I realise it sounds foolish to even think of helping someone of the skill level of bwdyeti at this stage. I just want to be able to overcome this flaw of mine so I can finally achieve something in my life.

don't let your dreams be dreams,

seize the day and the chance to excel.

don't be pushed down by yourself- other people will gladly help normalize you.

wrt spriting, i think the best thing would be checking anatomy of larger-canvas artists (e.g. digital paintings / character linearts / really anything) and of the GBAFE style by trying to splice different battle animations together.

Thanks for your help guys. You've been really kind to me and that means a lot to me so thanks :) What I'm going to do is I'm still going to take a break from spriting but, if I feel like it, I'll upload some of my older animations for you all to see.

Introducing my first ever custom class-The White Druid! As this is the first animation I created it does have a few flaws but I still really like it. Some of the proportions are wrong and imo the critical attack is underwhelming but other than that I still love it.

Edited by Dinar87

Thanks for your help guys. You've been really kind to me and that means a lot to me so thanks :) What I'm going to do is I'm still going to take a break from spriting but, if I feel like it, I'll upload some of my older animations for you all to see.

Introducing my first ever custom class-The White Druid! As this is the first animation I created it does have a few flaws but I still really like it. Some of the proportions are wrong and imo the critical attack is underwhelming but other than that I still love it.

...? Where is it?

IYs9tGe.gif

Normal Attack

BzYfIEK.gif

Critical attack

x1EIYiN.gif

Skill

CLxGFuk.gif

Dodge

a0ITMYk.gif

Staff

l7asOaq.gif

Staff dodge

where is it: on the first page yo

suggestion: when you introduce a sprite, put it in the post you're introducing it in :v

tbh this looks pretty neat~!

not that FE, but very neat; I love it a lot actually

(especially that staff)

Edited by Eliwan

Here we go-just uploaded another set of old animations I worked on. As always, I hope you guys like them!
[spoiler=Murderer class]
nMsVwe2.gif
Normal attack
REyfXmx.gif
Critical attack
7GJEv4X.gif
Magic attack
RbioXh0.gif
Dodge weapon
xjx1eRc.gif
Dodge no weapon

So I've had a bit of a break from making sprites and I thought I'd take Blaze's advice and edit some of the vanilla sprites...how do y'all think I did?
ksFxwbY.png

(obviously the one on the far left is an offical sprite I copied)

So I've had a bit of a break from making sprites and I thought I'd take Blaze's advice and edit some of the vanilla sprites...how do y'all think I did?

ksFxwbY.png

(obviously the one on the far left is an offical sprite I copied)

Uhh, what I meant by "edit official sprites", I mean make changes to animation sprite sheets of vanilla sprites

like what I did with the Chrom animation back in my gallery, totally not shamelessly plugging my galry

Anyway, the sprites have quite a bit of proportion issues, shading issues and limb issues.

Give editing animation sprite sheets a try, follow the animation sprites and edit certain features of the sprite, that may or may not help you, but it did help me, soooo...try it and see how it works for you?

Edited by BlazeKing

I love the timing and motion of the battle sprites but the individual frames need... a lot of work. The shading is critical. Without it they look cartoony and strange. The murder class for example has really weird looking legs which move like goopy bits of plasticine and not so much like actual arms and legs. Each limb should be moving according to joints. The legs should bend at the knees, etc.

Also, FE sprites do not stand with their feet parallel - they're almost always at an angle. The best way to think of it is that we're not looking at the sprites from a side-on view, but rather from a 30-ish degree viewing angle. Hence the legs should not be level.

After taking your guys' advice I decided to edit the sprites of a random class from vanilla FE (I chose the Rogue class)...bear in mind it's not finished yet.
yXsSmEB.png
(mostly just a bit of colour exhange on gimp)

EDIT: I've edited the Murderer class standing pose and...I hate it. I was even using the proportions guide someone gave me and it turned out horribly!
7w3k8gy.png
Trainwreck/10
Nt4L7xx.png
Proportions help guide (I assumed that 'head' lengths meant relative to MY sprite's head rather than the heads in the picture).

No offense to the person who gave me the guide though, it's probably my fault somehow...

Edited by Dinar87