Dinar87's first battle sprite gallery!!

Dinar87

(New post because otherwise my last post would be really big)

Made a small edit to the rogue sprite sheet...do you guys think it looks any better? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the shading of the rogue sprite dependent on how far forward each part is?
N6ANlAu.pngAlso, shouldn't this be on the main page of my gallery or does it not matter enough to you guys?

Edited by Dinar87

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress update!
I've altered the rogue's sprites to completely (apart from the motion blur frames) remove his weapon. His knife will be replaced by that blood red sword at the bottom of the image. What do you guys think of this? Does a new weapon animation for the rogue interest you? Am I doing the right thing if I want to get better at sprite making?
4vzt3Gh.png

Like I said before, edit the existing sprites, and not just recolour them. What I mean by editing, is...I...can't explain it... I'll just put up my Chrom sprite as an example.

temp_zpsthfdm3do.png

(Note: This is a very old sprite, look at that solid black outline >.< ewww)

-Aaanyway, what I mean is, edit the base sprite with details to set it apart from the original sprite....if that makes sense,

-your problem so far is that you keep defaulting back to that "Non-FE" sprite style,

-by individually editing one sprite sheet from the head till the feet can really help you learn how vanilla FE sprites' feet, hands, heads etc generally look and how they're shaped.

-It can also help you a small bit when it comes to the details of a battle sprite, I would suggest trying to avoid your style of spriting,

-I'm not "forcing" or "ordering" you to do it, but try to avoid it if you are trying to go for FE styled sprites

-At the end of the day, remember that spriting is mostly a hobby, which I'm sure it is for most people, try to enjoy yourself instead of trying to please other people (If you focus on pleasing other people, you might not have as much fun :))

Before I do that though, I thought I'd upload my map sprites that I created. While these might be flawed like my other old animations I personally like them still.

ukqvBoc.gif
Passive
FE1VWBM.gif
Cursor placed over
Suyzsjb.gif
Walking down
1qfDLsQ.gif
Walking up
L7igEQo.gif
Walking left/right

Thanks blaze for reminding of that suggestion to put these also in the post introducing them!

Edited by Dinar87

Update! I have edited the rogue sprite to look somewhat different. The shading is meant to be based on two things...
1. The light coming from the left.
2. How close each part of the body is to the screen.
Qxc3Ykg.png

Edited by Dinar87

Update! I have edited the rogue sprite to look somewhat different. The shading is meant to be based on two things...

1. The light coming from the left.

2. How close each part of the body is to the screen.Qxc3Ykg.png

This is an improvement. Keep it up.

The White Druid map sprites are cool, a few odd looking movements but pretty gokd actually.

Trueblade map sprite is off proportionally in a number of the poses... ref the swordmaster more. The walks look odd right now.

Body should move/turn in the nonwalking poses as well to look better.

Edited by ErrantShepherd

This is an improvement. Keep it up.

The White Druid map sprites are cool, a few odd looking movements but pretty gokd actually.

Trueblade map sprite is off proportionally in a number of the poses... ref the swordmaster more. The walks look odd right now.

Body should move/turn in the nonwalking poses as well to look better.

Thanks for the compliments! For the rogue shading I made it so, whilst the majority of the light is coming from the left, some parts that are closer to the screen are brighter whilst parts that are far away are darker...am I doing it right?

Even though the individual frames are a little off, your animations themselves are impressive. The fact that you made the entire spritesheet yourself is ridiculous to me. There's a reason why all I make are portraits, after the one time I Frankensteined a godawful trainee swordsman class.

The only critique I can understand enough to make is to work on the legs. Your legs that are facing away from the screen tend to look skinnier than the leg facing the screen. Maybe try splicing the legs from a preexisting sprite and making the body on top from scratch like you've been doing, since I think the top halves of your sprites sprites look better than the bottoms at the moment.

That way you can focus on improving a single aspect on your sprites rather than having criticism coming from all sides of your sprites.

Though as I said, I'm terrible with battle sprites, that's just how I'd approach it, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

That all said, I hope you keep spriting, because you're definitely good at animating, and once you get the sprites themselves down to a science, I'd expect some really cool stuff to come out of you.

Even though the individual frames are a little off, your animations themselves are impressive. The fact that you made the entire spritesheet yourself is ridiculous to me. There's a reason why all I make are portraits, after the one time I Frankensteined a godawful trainee swordsman class.

The only critique I can understand enough to make is to work on the legs. Your legs that are facing away from the screen tend to look skinnier than the leg facing the screen. Maybe try splicing the legs from a preexisting sprite and making the body on top from scratch like you've been doing, since I think the top halves of your sprites sprites look better than the bottoms at the moment.

That way you can focus on improving a single aspect on your sprites rather than having criticism coming from all sides of your sprites.

Though as I said, I'm terrible with battle sprites, that's just how I'd approach it, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

That all said, I hope you keep spriting, because you're definitely good at animating, and once you get the sprites themselves down to a science, I'd expect some really cool stuff to come out of you.

Thanks for the compliments! And don't worry, I'll continue to make new sprites...eventually :P I also liked how your advice was extremely clear about what was wrong so thanks for that.

Edited by Dinar87

Another one! This time I've edited the rogue sprite to give him an entirely new weapon!

​FUCK! I can't copy and paste anything anymore! I'm using windows10 btw. For some reason, I can suddenly no longer post gifs here! Copy and pasting works completely fine until I enter this place where it proceeds to not work in the slightest.

W9aRuda.gif

​EDIT: Never mind. It worked for this one but it doesn't seem to be working any longer.

Edited by Dinar87

Interesting. The weapon blur feels like it should be a bit more curved/circular. Feels a little jagged atm.

I'll see what I can do about that :)

EDIT1: Sadly I cannot seem to fix this without manually redoing the blur itself as gimp doesn't appear to have a 'make a circle outline' tool.

Edited by Dinar87

Introducing even more cringe worthy sprites! Meet the map sprites for the Murderer class!
[spoiler=Murderer map spites]
p8TayJC.gif
Passive
PygQi9C.gif
Active
wlGdc3Y.gif
Walking down
YpjGy3v.gif
Walking left
IuJyNxq.gif
Walking up
While this one isn't too horrible I HAAAATTTTEEEE the 'Walking left' one...the only reason I haven't changed it is because I literally can't think of a better animation to use for it.

Edited by Dinar87

ngl that's what it reminds me of

You've still that issue with noodle arms. Honestly, it looks rather like a scarecrow stuck on a frame with its arms flapping in the wind.

Give it some up/down bobbing movement when walking, and maybe try and get the body to move a little more? It's super static with weird moving appendages.

ngl that's what it reminds me of

You've still that issue with noodle arms. Honestly, it looks rather like a scarecrow stuck on a frame with its arms flapping in the wind.

Give it some up/down bobbing movement when walking, and maybe try and get the body to move a little more? It's super static with weird moving appendages.

Haha ok I see your point. The only reason I made him that thin was to represent how weak he was-he's meant to be a trainee class after all! Stuff like bobbing I can add but I'm not really sure how to get details like non-noodle arms and the body moving with a sprite that small.

​In the end though, these animations are super old and I haven't decided whether I'll go back and fix them. Tbh I really need an art tutor to help me with this.

Edited by Dinar87

My tip for map sprites, especially the walking ones, is to just edit vanilla ones. No one will know and it preserves the animation quality really well.