Dinar87's first battle sprite gallery!!

Dinar87

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as soon as that step starts, the head completely changes shape, and on the second new frame the feet look strange and the head looks even more bizarre. Usually the FE heads stay at about the same angle even when logic dictates it should change.

I think the bend in the knee of the first step frame is too low pixel-wise, as though the place where his leg is bending is actually below his knee.

I'm really interested already-- this general sort of thing is something that's often shopped about but not too many deliver on the subject~

So as soon as that step starts, the head completely changes shape, and on the second new frame the feet look strange and the head looks even more bizarre. Usually the FE heads stay at about the same angle even when logic dictates it should change.

I think the bend in the knee of the first step frame is too low pixel-wise, as though the place where his leg is bending is actually below his knee.

I'm really interested already-- this general sort of thing is something that's often shopped about but not too many deliver on the subject~

Thank you for being interested in my work friend! I'll alter the head and the legs!

No edits but here are a few points I noticed (Warning, wall of text, separated a lot for convenience of reading, because I know how hard it is to read an entire essay to be thrown to you):

-The feet after the second frame seems very off

-Once again, you've defaulted back to your cartoon-ish style for the legs

-I believe the correct term for the feel issue, is that it lacks...depth, I suppose, the shading on the boots seem plastered on and

doesn't seem to be contributing to having the boots look like a solid object, if that makes sense

-From the 3rd frame onwards, he turned into a lego mini figure, short and stubby, he also gets shorter as the frames go on

-Good job on the lance's angles and stuff though, as someone who struggles terribly with weapon angles, it looks pretty ok to me

-The shield retains the same shape and angle throughout all the frames which doesn't make sense since he's turning, I believe

-The term "less is more" is taken to a whole new level, the armor, pants and boots severely lack detailing and shading, try adding more shading and detailing and stuff

-The hair is...very flat when it comes to colours, I did say you only really need 2 colours, but that sprite's hair is very banded (shaded along the outline) and the darker shade blends in too much with the outline, making it not so noticeable, instead of a shaded hair colour, it can be seen as a thick outline

-The eye is not visible at all really, try moving the hair away from the eye, the face is also very oddly shaded

-His right leg in the last and second to last frames seem completely detached from the body

And once again, I'll be quoting the great Pandawan:

Doing full custom work isn't really a bad idea, as long as you remember to look up references of how the style goes.

Also:

Usually the FE heads stay at about the same angle even when logic dictates it should change.

The most any of the heads in FE sprites shift is very slightly, they don't turn as much, but this isn't much of an issue in your sprite, just a nit pick, mostly

The heads are getting better though, just keep at it, I will still suggest sticking to modifying vanilla sprites until you can grasp the style, but don't let me tell you what to do, everybody learns their own way, I'm just suggesting the way I learned the style, which is through modifying and editing the vanilla sprites until I understood: How the animations flow, How the limbs look, How the shading generally is, etc

You've improved a bit, but the lego-ness of your battle sprites are still apparent, try using frames from other sprites as reference if they have a similar pose

UPDATE! tAstw2b.pngI fixed some of the problems you mentioned...not sure what to do about things like "From the 3rd frame onwards, he turned into a lego mini figure, short and stubby, he also gets shorter as the frames go on" as I don't understand what I need to do to fix it.

Edited by Dinar87

• 2 weeks later...

Update! I doubt anyone cares at this point but I've been working on making random battle sprites and have decided to temporarily abandon making a reworked soldier animation. I think I'll try practicing the basics before making any animations again unless they're small edits like with the rogue animation I did. Anyways, here they are!
fyObBeM.png

Edited by Dinar87

Sorry, but I'm not doing edits :(

Because 1) I'm very tired from school and shit 2) holy cow there are a lot of sprites 3) just generally being lazy :P

anyways, you're steadily improving, that's for sure, but there are a few prominent issues with the sprites:

-They are very disproportionate, some are taller, some are stubby and shorter

-Limbs and body parts are very off, again, try working off of the vanilla sprites (adding features, editing them just small modifications instead of major edits

-The shading looks ok......if it isn't GBAFE battlesprite style shading, like mentioned before, the light source for battlesprite shading is not at all consistent, but they generally come from the right, top right and top left slightly

-More details on the limbs:

-The arms are literally noodles, think of the joints, the elbows, the shoulders etc, the fingers aren't really noticeable for a majority of the sprites unless they open their hands wide

-As for the legs, don't keep trying to make them go straight down, even when you sprite the legs to be diagonal, you keep popping them downwards almost instantly after, thus, me referring them to "lego minifigure legs"

As a general summary, references, references and more references, if you're trying to make battlesprites GBAFE style, I'll be blunt, it's not really working, you've got designs and stuff down decently, you just need to learn more about the actual style first, but keep at it tho, you've definitely improved.

Extra little list and things:

-Limbs

-Shading

-Proportions

Thanks for the feedback Blaze! While it's a shame you can't do anymore edits it's understandable why that is.
Anyways, I'll respond to each of your complaints by telling you what I'll do about them.

1)While this is true, I wasn't really focusing on making them the same exact size physically and just assumed they'd be different ages+I was making it up as I went along.

2)Ok.

3)I seriously didn't know that. I thought since there were multiple light sources I could get away with what would normally be described as 'pillow shading'...I guess not. I also didn't know that FE battle sprites have the exact same light source for every sprite. Correct me if I'm wrong about that tho.

4)About the noodle arms...most of them have a relaxed posture or are slightly bent. If you want I'll make some where the limbs are bent at sharper angles tho. Also, I currently don't know how to make details like fingers on such small sprites except for the thumb as that is at a different angle to the rest of the fingers.

5)In other words have the legs and shoes be at more of an angle for some of the sprites.

That's a shame...but at least I'm improving. As long as that's happening I'm satisfied.

To do list
Bend the legs and shoes more.
Try and detail the fingers better.
Keep them the same size physically.
Try bending the arms more so they're not noodle-like.
Make sure to keep referencing the official FE battle sprites.

Edited by Dinar87

Update! Here's what I'm currently working on...I plan to finish the whole sheet by filling the rest of the space with custom battle sprites of my own. Of course, it's all WIP as not all of the space is filled out. Also, some of these sprites are pretty old and I'll probably just make new ones instead of going back to fix my old ones.
cNxhlmr.png

Edited by Dinar87

Update!

After watching this video of some guy's kickstarter I had a strange idea to make the guy's personal OC for for fun. Prepare yourselves! Marina dark-blade, the black rose....the edgiest of all Mary sues! Anyways, enough joking around, here's my interpretation of his OC...and no-the guy in the video isn't me.

GG9vl0d.png
EDIT: Shit I spelt her name wrong as it's actually 'Manara' rather than 'Marina'....oh well! Edited by Dinar87

You clearly keep improving which shows your hard work! But in terms of constructive criticism, something about the shading seems off but I can't quite exactly place it.

I'm satisfied if I'm improving as that means at least I'll eventually get where I want to be...so thanks mate. In terms of shading, I'm currently not to bothered about light sources and go for the simple 'make the parts that are closer to the screen brighter than the parts that aren't' technique. I just do what comes naturally to me as I hope that, by doing things this way without setting myself any goals or expectations, I'll be able to very easily make fantastic sprites once I actually do get better as I'll be able to do it without even trying.

Edited by Dinar87

BEHOLD! A collection of some of my first and most recent sprites from gimp. Shows you how far I've come since I've been practicing doesn't it?
JabyIDe.pngSswH6Sc.png
J7zMDWx.png
h34Oi4g.png
BhflFj8.png
vNhwIAG.png

As you can probably tell, the ones at the bottom are more recent than the ones at the top.

Edited by Dinar87

I really like the new Dark Druid, I'm curious to see more of this one! It must be hard but it's better than before :) I can't do this so I can't give advice :p

In that case I'll try making another dark druid sprite!

EDIT:Here it is! The color scheme reminds me of kyogre...

sPXbofp.png

Also, in terms of not being able to do this, all it takes is practice...a lot of practice. As you can see in my previous post I started off as terrible at making sprites yet here I am today making sprites people enjoy in one way or another (probably laughing at how bad they are). While it admittedly did take me months to get this "good" at it (and I'd still argue I have a long way to go) it's still achievable if you can practice enough. So why not give sprite making a try? All you need is GIMP (which is a free version of Photoshop).

Edited by Dinar87

Update! I've been making some more progress with those battle sprites. But there's something I'd really like to talk about if anyone's actually listening...is the 'sprite' thread dead? Barely anyone updates anymore except me and the VAST majority, if they actually do go here, don't leave a comment on my thread or anything like that. Basically I just wondering if I've done something wrong and scared off people or if it's just the fact that the thread is a ghost town that causing a lack of feedback.

Anyways, here are the sprites....
yhqRC3a.png

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably more that people are off on vacation and breaks or restarting classes at the moment Dinar.

Not a criticism of your work at all from what I see. Every thing and thread go through lulls. Just push through them, and do what you need to do to keep challenging yourself. :)

• 4 months later...

Hi guys! It's been a while hasn't it since I've updated this thread and normally this would count as necroposting and all that, however, I've spoken to eclipse and they have not only seemingly given me permission to update this thread but also showcase my other, non-fire emblem artwork (as long as it isn't NSFW that is) through linking my deviant art since my intentions aren't to get paid for this but rather showcase my art.

Here's my DA account if you're curious about what I've been up to recently.
http://dinar87.deviantart.com/

And here's another fire emblem animation that I've made.
http://dinar87.deviantart.com/art/Wanderer-Class-ALL-ANIMATIONS-653827380

I'm not going to risk posting my game mock ups or anything non-fe here other than the link to my deviant art account since that's all I know of that's been allowed.

I'd really appreciate people checking my work out if anyone has the time for it!

Edited by Dinar87