Was anyone else absolutely smitten with Conquest?

^ This, this so hard. People were so fucking spoiled by the Tellius series in terms of story they walk into every single new Fire Emblem game expecting a story just as good if not better. Don't get me wrong, this would be great, but as Abvora said, FE has NEVER been a series that was known for its strong story (hell the entire JRPG genre is like this, and most other strategy games are like this too. Strategy games and JRPG games focus entirely on gameplay, story is just a bonus. Even if there was no story these games would still be just as fun) and the like.

Sure, Tellius let us as players know that FE CAN have a good story line, but I feel that Tellius is 90% nostalgia at this point. People overblow the story past what it was because it was the first FE to have a real story that didn't lack a whole lot, so people choose to remember it as this game with some shining plot. Tellius had a good story, but it's definitely no The Last of Us or Bioshock in terms of how good the story was.

Walking into any FE expecting the story to blow you away is like walking into Hard mode on Sacred Stones and expecting a challenge. You're gonna have a bad time. Just appreciate them for what they are, try not to focus on it too much. The story may not be amazing, but it's not broken and it works. That's all that counts in a series that's built entirely around gameplay and sideline character development in supports.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened in that first sentence? Lol.

The reason I can't get behind the veins is because how how stupid and gimmicky most of them are. A lot of dragon vein abilities show up in one or two chapters then vanish completely, and the rest of them kind of fuck with the difficulty. Now, when there's royals vs. royals on the battlefield and BOTH sides have access to them, they're not as bad, but when you're the only one with access, it just breaks the difficulty at times. For example, on Paralogue 6 when that Adventurer bitch was running away, I killed her on turn 2 (and this map is really long, winding and full of enemies) because a DV allowed me to burn the forest down and shortcut straight into her with a paired up Kaze and MU.

Ah. Sorry for that, It happens sometimes, even when I pay attention.

Also, I have some shame to admit that I forgot about that Paralogue, mainly because of how easy and forgettable It was.

Conquest's story was so-so to me, but the gameplay is absolutely amazing! Conquest renewed my love for the series several times over, and Lunatic was exactly as Lunatic should have been. I complained for a bit when there was no Lunatic+ because Birthright's gameplay was meh, but Conquest was almost perfect; my only complaint being the lack of boss skills. I wish the bosses, especially the final bosses had more skills in all paths, Revelations especially. But yeah, most of the complaints about Fates in general are regarding the story, but the gameplay is topnotch.

Walking into any FE expecting the story to blow you away is like walking into Hard mode on Sacred Stones and expecting a challenge. You're gonna have a bad time. Just appreciate them for what they are, try not to focus on it too much. The story may not be amazing, but it's not broken and it works. That's all that counts in a series that's built entirely around gameplay and sideline character development in supports.

Yeah I have to agree with this sentiment. I think alot of people expect a Shakespearean masterpiece and of course leave disappointed. Overall, I have always found the stories in the FE games entertaining enough to get to the end and keep playing and in my book that's good enough anything else is just sugar on top.

Conquest's story was so-so to me, but the gameplay is absolutely amazing! Conquest renewed my love for the series several times over, and Lunatic was exactly as Lunatic should have been. I complained for a bit when there was no Lunatic+ because Birthright's gameplay was meh, but Conquest was almost perfect; my only complaint being the lack of boss skills. I wish the bosses, especially the final bosses had more skills in all paths, Revelations especially. But yeah, most of the complaints about Fates in general are regarding the story, but the gameplay is topnotch.

I agree completely. I felt like I was actually playing lunatic mode in Conquest while Revalations felt like an elevator for the canon ending and Birthright was the most enemy skill deprived out of the 3. The other 2 paths in general were flooded with skill phobic enemies in my opinion.

Responding to OP:

I both love and hate this Fire Emblem game. People, who read my analysis on the Fates plots already know why I feel this way about the plot. In summary: I love what it tried to do with the story, but I hate how it was executed.

The gameplay is fantastic, complete with challenging map objectives and difficult enemies. It reminded me of Thracia 776 minus its bad mechanics (warp tiles, bad preparation menu, etc.) My gripe with the gameplay stems from the inclusion of children, since it's nigh IMPOSSIBLE to get all the Conquest kids without My Castle grinding. It's annoying to have to worry about who is paired up with who. It's one of the reasons why I disliked Chapters 1-5 in Genealogy. I wish the second generation was axed entirely and replaced with paralogues that could be accessed by competing side objectives during the main campaign.

All in all, it was close to being a perfect Fire Emblem game, in my opinion, but its shit story and second generation hampered it.

Edited by Leif

Fates in general has by far the best gameplay in the series in my opinion. Say what you will about some of the Map designs, but in terms of the core mechanics, it's almost perfect. I've currently played through each route twice (up to Hard Mode on each) and clocked in over 200 hours. However, unlike Awakening, I still have a ton more I want to experiment with and do in Fates, which I think is a testament to how fun and interesting it is.

For Conquest, I agree that it's by far the best part of Fates (I'd dare say it's the best game we've gotten in the West from the Franchise), but I need to be in a certain... mood (I guess?) to play it. Like, I can mostly improvise Birthright/Revelation and still make out fine, but Conquest requires a lot of careful planning and thought before hand (not to mention resetting). Don't get me wrong, that's GREAT design and shows that IS can still make one hell of a challenging FE, it's just not the type of game I can pick up and instantly play. Still though, Conquest is great and I fully expect to come back to it a few more times

Bare in mind that all of the above was from a gameplay perspective.

Edited by Avalanche

I just dont give a snot about the story anymore. Like at all. Start button too OP. Because of that, i find the game as a whole to be pretty damn cool. Conquest in particular because im an older FE player and dig a lot of that classic FE feel. Its good shit. Too much fun to be had for playing the game.

I honestly wish the difficulty would've carried over to Revelations, as I understand they need a noob friendly game in the series, but Revelations is just as bad as Birthright if not worse in terms of nerfing the difficulty.

I just dont give a snot about the story anymore. Like at all. Start button too OP. Because of that, i find the game as a whole to be pretty damn cool. Conquest in particular because im an older FE player and dig a lot of that classic FE feel. Its good shit. Too much fun to be had for playing the game.

This. The stories are those "I look at this the first, maybe second time I play through, and then after that, I skip it." Plus, most of them weren't even masterpieces in the first place.

I'm so glad this topic was made. All the topic about the story tends to makes people forget why Fates is sch a good new.

Because if all the future game build on Fates gameplay Wise, this is really the best time to be a FE Fan.

My only concern would be about how accessible it is to newcommers (compared to the absolute simplicity of FE7, it's harder to get used to all the mechanics), But Hoshido Normal Casual/Phoenix exists for a reason.

Even if I started with FE7, I'm far from being the greatest player. I'm not searching for an extra hard game, because difficulty can easily be pure bull excrement.

But not with Conquest. This is smart and I can see they really cared and thought about the gameplay.

Even Birthright is light above what Awakening was. And compared to all the precedent title, it would be on the top half with ease.

And the difference between the different difficluties (even if I only saw the 6 first chapters yet) made me really happy. I bought Birthright, but finisjhed Conquest first because, even if I have some issues with the story, I couldn't stop playing to see what the game had next in store for me in term of gameplay.

Responding to OP:

I both love and hate this Fire Emblem game. People, who read my analysis on the Fates plots already know why I feel this way about the plot. In summary: I love what it tried to do with the story, but I hate how it was executed.

The gameplay is fantastic, complete with challenging map objectives and difficult enemies. It reminded me of Thracia 776 minus its bad mechanics (warp tiles, bad preparation menu, etc.) My gripe with the gameplay stems from the inclusion of children, since it's nigh IMPOSSIBLE to get all the Conquest kids without My Castle grinding. It's annoying to have to worry about who is paired up with who.

My issues with the story is that they didn't let MU do any condemnable actions. And such they deprive him of any growth.

Even if the comparison is unfair, Tactics Ogre LUCT let you do condemnable actions and let you assume the conséquences of your actions (both positives and negative. LUCT may thank you for being creative in cruelty). E for Effort, I guess.

The Awakening DLC is pretty great to build support level actually. (I think it's still free)

And I don't know if I'm the only one in that case, but I really prefer to recieve no exp points on the DLC like in Conquest.

It completely throw all my team building out of the window.

The Awakening DLC is definitely NOT free, I think one or two things is but overall there's over $60 worth of shit in there. I bought it all like the sucker I am, I can't resist new Fire Emblem content. Same with Fates, which I feel had good DLC but that's one of the weak points of Fates, the DLC wasn't as good as it was in Awakening. Neither were the Paralogues, they felt really lacking in description and story. I wish nearly every single Paralogue in Fates and Awakening didn't focus on children or recruiting past characters from the story. I like those aspects, but having some Paralogues that ACTUALLY had firm ties to the main plot like the gaiden chapters in past games would've been really nice. In Awakening and Fates almost all the Paralogues focus on recruiting your children or recruiting some character you previously encountered or saw in a past game.

The maps in Conquest are so great--they're a really fun challenge. While I enjoyed easygoing-ness of Birthright, I definitely preferred Conquest's maps over Birthright's and Revelations. Like many have mentioned here, I thought the gameplay was overall the best I've seen in a Fire Emblem yet. (Though I will still complain about different weapon system. I love the implementation of the bows into the weapon triangle and the new shurikens/daggers, and even integrating the magic system into the triangle, but the status altering effects of the silver weapons irks me, and the steel weapons have a hard time following up, which also irks me.)

I love Conquest's gameplay and map design, it's definitely some of if not the best this series has ever had. I can't ever go back to Awakening just because it is such a step down, even compared to Birthright which I feel has the weakest gameplay of all.

Plot-wise, I enjoy the story of all the routes for what they are. Does each have their flaws? Of course. Could they have been better? Of course. Do I wish they had lived up to their hype? Of course. But I accepted a while ago that Fire Emblem's strength is never going to lie in its plot, and that expecting everything to be like Genealogy or PoR/RD is just going to end in disappointment. Fates' plot, while disappointing after all the pre-release hype, has, for me, as many good points as bad ones, and if I focus on those rather than accentuating the negatives, I can enjoy it a fair bit. I like parts of Birthright, I like parts of Conquest, and I like parts of Revelation, and that's enough for me.

I agree with this completely, especially in terms of plot. Could the plot have been (way) better? Most definitely. But looking back at both Birthright and Conquest, I can say that there were definitely aspects that I enjoyed. And I enjoyed the cast of characters quite a bit.

...I just wish they implemented the second generation better. xD

If I'm gonna be completely honest here, After playing all 13 FEs(Before Fates dropped) I learned to not care about the story and pretty much just play the games for gameplay purposes... With that being said I think this was a good mindset change CAUSE OH MAN CONQUEST'S STORY IS INSANELY BAD "HEY AZURA DID YOU SEE WHERE THAT DANCER WENT???"

Gameplay wise dude, Conquest is excellent lol. I really hope they can find a good combo for the next game of great gameplay and great story for the people who care about that.

i loved the gameplay and the characters to death, so yes i love the game enough that i can overlook the story.

i can't say the same about the other routes.

The only good thing to come out of Birthright was the Alight soundtrack, which I think is the best song in the OST. Other than that, I don't have plans on replaying Birthright ever again which is a shame, really. =/

I just played Boo Camp (DLC) for the first time in Conquest and it saddened the fuck out of me.

WHY in the ACTUAL FUCK would they include a DLC made solely for EXPERIENCE/SUPPORT/WEAPON RANK GRINDING in a game that's supposed to keep grinding to a BARE MINIMUM?

This is fucked, I'm genuinely angry. I suppose the saving grace is, it's a DLC and you don't have to buy it or play it, which I definitely will not be doing. Though by this same logic, none of Birthright's Challenge grinding is something you have to do either.

Fucking A, IS makes some questionable fucking decisions sometimes. They literally added a grind service that COSTS MONEY. So basically, this is a paid for hand out for those casuals who still want to experience Conquest. I hate that, I really do, I think if you want to experience Conquest and you suck at FE, you could play through Birthright on a harder difficulty until you get the game down. Not just give IS money to make the game easier. Fucking christ.

"Hey there! Do you suck complete ass at Fire Emblem yet still want to experience Conquest? No worries! For $2.50 you can buy this DLC map that lets you grind until you're an overpowered stub and go on to ruin the entire concept of this path! Woohoo!"

My brain hurts. They should've just added save stats and an arena that gives Gold/EXP/Weapon Experience to My Castle if they wanted to ruin the concept of the game for the low cost of $2.50.

Edited by Mikhail Naumov

I just played Boo Camp (DLC) for the first time in Conquest and it saddened the fuck out of me.

WHY in the ACTUAL FUCK would they include a DLC made solely for EXPERIENCE/SUPPORT/WEAPON RANK GRINDING in a game that's supposed to keep grinding to a BARE MINIMUM?

This is fucked, I'm genuinely angry. I suppose the saving grace is, it's a DLC and you don't have to buy it or play it, which I definitely will not be doing. Though by this same logic, none of Birthright's Challenge grinding is something you have to do either.

Fucking A, IS makes some questionable fucking decisions sometimes. They literally added a grind service that COSTS MONEY. So basically, this is a paid for hand out for those casuals who still want to experience Conquest. I hate that, I really do, I think if you want to experience Conquest and you suck at FE, you could play through Birthright on a harder difficulty until you get the game down. Not just give IS money to make the game easier. Fucking christ.

"Hey there! Do you suck complete ass at Fire Emblem yet still want to experience Conquest? No worries! For $2.50 you can buy this DLC map that lets you grind until you're an overpowered stub and go on to ruin the entire concept of this path! Woohoo!"

My brain hurts. They should've just added save stats and an arena that gives Gold/EXP/Weapon Experience to My Castle if they wanted to ruin the concept of the game for the low cost of $2.50.

Really it's so Conquest players don't get destroyed in PvP or Castle Battles. Because Conquest people are going to be weaker. They have less time to grab skills, and stats as opposed to Revelations (the best for PvP and CB) or Birthright.

Regardless of what it's intended for, though I do admit that's a much better use of it and it makes sense, some people will use it to grind their characters into oblivion. I'm just happy it scales with story progression, meaning past a certain point it will be literally useless unless you want to kill 100 units per level until you progress further in the game.

Edited by Mikhail Naumov

The DLC is an option for those who want it. If you don't want to grind (and I certainly don't), you don't have to buy it / make use of it. Don't let the availability of options prevent you from playing the game in the way which is most enjoyable to you, personally.

The fact you have to pay for it is kinda bad, but actually it doesn't really change anything.

​It's similar to Arena Abusing in FE5 in a way (though less extreme). Because Conquest's gameplay isn't really based on numbers.

And while it can helps you midgame, in the end game it will be pretty irrelevant.

The main thing it helps with is making Mozu useable (and that's still not that easy.)

Mozu is a great asset, but that doesn't make her really game breaking.

And Benny still pain to gain few levels, because of how damn slow it is.

And it won't be there for the early game, which is still the hardest part of the game.

It's kind of like Phoenix mode, of course I don't have to use it, but it sort of taints the game in spirit.

Did you already watched FE videos of newcommers (Fates or others.) (And I know it's bad for the heart).

Hell, do you remember your first FE playthrough?

My point is that it will only be used by people who needs them.

I know that myself, I'm a pretty mediocre player, even if I started with FE7.

And even in Normal/Casual with the helps of the Boo Camp DLC, this was still challenging, and a rewarding gameplay experience.

​Obviously, I'll never use Phoenix. But if someone can be convinced to try Conquest (and enjoying it), with Phoenix used as a bait to try it, then I'd consider it a great addition.

Great topic!

I agree with most things stated here. I remember the weeks before this game came out; I wondered which version of the game I should go with. Since I've played every Fire Emblem game released in America, and I liked the aesthetic of the Nohr characters more than their Hoshidan counterparts (it's not just because a certain adoptive big sister gave me two very convincing reasons), I went with Conquest.

I'm happy I chose that path first.

I finished Birthright, and honestly, it may as well be Ryoma Emblem. I started right away on Hard, and with a Rinkah pair-up, he steamrolled the vast majority of the game. If I needed additional units, I had Morganson (my avatar) with a Scarlet pair-up, Takumi with an Oboro pair-up, and Kaze with a Mozu pair-up. There were some chapters that challenged me (Chapter 23 immediately comes to mind) but overall, Birthright wasn't too hard.

Revelation I haven't finished yet; I'm on Chapter 18, just grinding for Supports, since I'm doing as many cross-cultural marriages and friendships as I can, and I'd like to see how the characters relate and how they perform with certain class options and skill combinations.

Conquest ... so far, I've only played it on Normal, and I felt challenged even then. Most of the maps really made me think my moves through and punished me if I didn't. Unlike Birthright, I didn't feel like Conquest was Xander Emblem. Even with a Charlotte pair-up, he couldn't finish the game alone or with a few other units. Each map was challenging in its own way, and although I though the Endgame was a little unfair, I enjoyed the chapters more than the other three.

The lack of money and resources available to me (though this can be mitigated some by visiting other castles and with DLC) really made me think. I carefully contemplated every gold piece I spent, and dealt with weaker weapons for a long time since I was poor for most of the game.

I found the Nohrian characters to be a little more interesting than the Hoshidan ones. It could be because I started with them first, but I feel a higher level of attachment to them. This is not to say I don't like the Hoshidan cast, but the Nohrian group just barely beat them out. I didn't have a problem with Odin; he was my favorite child character from Awakening, Laslow I didn't mind either. Selena ... well, she's more tolerable in this game, I'll say that.

The story ... well, I don't hate it as much as people say I should, but it still could use some improvements. Perhaps that'll be another topic for another day.

I look forward to my next Conquest playthrough. I'll go through Normal again before going up to Hard. I'm a little nervous about cranking up the difficulty for it ...

The fact you have to pay for it is kinda bad, but actually it doesn't really change anything.

​It's similar to Arena Abusing in FE5 in a way (though less extreme). Because Conquest's gameplay isn't really based on numbers.

And while it can helps you midgame, in the end game it will be pretty irrelevant.

The main thing it helps with is making Mozu useable (and that's still not that easy.)

Mozu is a great asset, but that doesn't make her really game breaking.

And Benny still pain to gain few levels, because of how damn slow it is.

And it won't be there for the early game, which is still the hardest part of the game.

All of this.

Also, Conquest's difficulty scales with your level, does it not? I found the game of Conquest I played when I'd used Boo Camp just as difficult as the game of Conquest I played when I didn't use Boo Camp because the enemies were a much higher level in the former, and thus just as tough to deal with. If someone finds Conquest too tough, they're better off switching to Phoenix mode than grinding on Boo Camp.

Anyway, why be angry? How someone else plays literally has no effect on how you play. Do people who aren't good at Fates not 'deserve' to enjoy Conquest? You can't just expect someone to play Birthright instead because the characters, story and maps are completely different.

Birthright was literally a cakewalk by the time you get Ryoma due to how fucking broken he is. I'm pretty sure that if Kamui wasn't needed in every chapter, that I could frontline every chapter on Lunatic with Ryoma by the time I got him. With me being terrible at strategy games I'm surprised with how easy I beat it, even without grinding since grinding in the story is way better because the challenges give you like 5 EXP for kill (atleast for me). I did prefer its story though.

Since I never played Conquest due to me being a huge vagina, I'll tell my cousin's playthrough.

I'll sum this up in a few words: EVERYONE BUT KAMUI DIES.

After seeing some playthroughs, holy fuck its challenging. I've only seen one person complete Lunatic!Conquest and that's with most units being capture and everyone also being dead.

Edited by TheBredHatter