Need advice about losing weight through the treadmill.

Zerxen

So about a week ago, I started working out through my home's treadmill. I am male, 5'5 and approximately 160-170 lbs (not sure the exact number, I lack a weighing scale). Recently, I've cut down sugary foods from my diet and resorted to eating more fruits as a result. As for vegetables, I've been eating spinach more often; I don't worry about greens too much since I enjoy eating them several times a week. I have also been drinking more water, about 9-10 cups. For the past week, I've been using treadmill for about 30 min every day, with the first five minutes as a warmup and the last five minutes as a cool down period. About 20 minutes of the work out was me running at 6mph. Any advice for losing a few pounds? I am looking at extending the workout to a full hour. Either that, or I will try doing a HIIT workout.

Edited by Zerxen

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything you say sounds right on track. Remember, the best diet is one in which you are satisfied. So this means you should find food "replacements" which can satisfy you, mentally. If vegetables are your thing, then keep it going. I would also highly advice that you start counting your calories. This is very important, as it is the one and true thing to keep in mind if you want to lose weight (which I assume is fat).

My

Everything you say sounds right on track. Remember, the best diet is one in which you are satisfied. So this means you should find food "replacements" which can satisfy you, mentally. If vegetables are your thing, then keep it going. I would also highly advice that you start counting your calories. This is very important, as it is the one and true thing to keep in mind if you want to lose weight (which I assume is fat).

Any other advice regarding diet? My family is Asian and I am kinda expected to eat white rice. Unlike them, I only eat about less than a cup. Should I do any additional excercises to remedy this? I am considering doing leg lifts and jumping jacks to add on to the treadmill. I am also considering doing modified pull ups through the bars of the treadmill.

Calories, first and foremost. While rice isn't exactly packed, it contributes, so keep that in check and you're good. While you're at it, I forgot to mention, you should estimate your TDEE first. Look for calculators online, I recommend IIFYM. Don't overthink this. Just find your maitainance number and eat at least 300 less than that (i.e if your maintainance is of 2000 calories, eat 1700). Try to work up to 500 deficit and then let time do the rest, unless you want to stay comfterble and take a little more time at a 200-300 deficit (the cardio will contribute a right amount, though). If you want to add jumping jax, go ahead. It'll just add up for some extra calories, though I can't say it's a lot (same with leg lifts). Pull-ups will build some upper-body, so I do recommend that.

EDIT: The scale doesn't do much unless you're losing a ton of weight, which I'm sure you'll notice in the mirror, anyway. Best judge is the mirror and/or before-after pictures.

Edited by Soul~!

Don't calorie count. You will develop an eating disorder. Just use common sense. Nobody is going to get fat off vegetables and water. That's a fact. Also, it's really a lot of mental effort which will stress you out (which will hurt your progress). Just make sure to...

1) Get plenty of sleep. Eight or more hours, give or take. Try to wake up naturally. Get to sleep earlier if needed.

2) Have a water bottle beside your bed. Drink some water when you wake up. It will help you get up more easily and start that metabolism.

3) Eat breakfast every day. Allow it to be decently sized. You have the entire day to burn it off. Early meals should be large while later meals should be small.

Oh, and if you have time, try the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You can extend it way over 30 days, but it's a great, short workout using only weighs and a yoga mat (though I didn't have a yoga mat, so I used a firm couch instead). You will be sore for the first three or so days, but it does get easier.

Also, one last thing. This is a lifestyle change. Do you really want to be counting calories every single day? It's not realistic or healthy (or convenient).

Edited by Loopulk

Don't calorie count. You will develop an eating disorder. Just use common sense. Nobody is going to get fat off vegetables and water. That's a fact. Also, it's really a lot of mental effort which will stress you out (which will hurt your progress). Just make sure to...

1) Get plenty of sleep. Eight or more hours, give or take. Try to wake up naturally. Get to sleep earlier if needed.

2) Have a water bottle beside your bed. Drink some water when you wake up. It will help you get up more easily and start that metabolism.

3) Eat breakfast every day. Allow it to be decently sized. You have the entire day to burn it off. Early meals should be large while later meals should be small.

Oh, and if you have time, try the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You can extend it way over 30 days, but it's a great, short workout using only weighs and a yoga mat (though I didn't have a yoga mat, so I used a firm couch instead). You will be sore for the first three or so days, but it does get easier.

Also, one last thing. This is a lifestyle change. Do you really want to be counting calories every single day? It's not realistic or healthy (or convenient).

Sorry, but yes, DO count calories. You don't have to be exact, but at least ballpark your calories, otherwise, it's too easy to eat too much without realizing it. In the end, it's calories that matter in weight loss. Veggies and healthy foods are great because they give you more nutrition and are filling, and not empty calories.

I'm a doctor and see a lot of diabetics. Keeping a food journal will help you monitor your intake.

Sorry, but yes, DO count calories. You don't have to be exact, but at least ballpark your calories, otherwise, it's too easy to eat too much without realizing it. In the end, it's calories that matter in weight loss. Veggies and healthy foods are great because they give you more nutrition and are filling, and not empty calories.

I'm a doctor and see a lot of diabetics. Keeping a food journal will help you monitor your intake.

Food journal, yes. Calorie counting? I still say no. There is no reason to count calories. I really do not see how somebody can go over their threshold if they eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water. If that does happen to someone, then they clearly have another health issue and need to get it checked out. I don't think that Zerxen wants to calorie count forever.

This is still a lifestyle change.

Okay, today I made modifications to my excercise. I start of walking 3.5 mph on the treadmill for 5 minutes. I jog/run at a speed of 5 mph for 30 minutes without stopping. To cool down, I walk again 3.5 mph for 5 minutes. Is this more effective?

Food journal, yes. Calorie counting? I still say no. There is no reason to count calories. I really do not see how somebody can go over their threshold if they eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water. If that does happen to someone, then they clearly have another health issue and need to get it checked out. I don't think that Zerxen wants to calorie count forever.

This is still a lifestyle change.

Calorie-counting can only cause eating disorders if you do it wrong. I know I did. anorexia victims sure do. But if you only go 200-300 of a deficit, it's not a big deal, especially if you mix it in with a form of energy expenditure, like sports and traditional cardio. While what you're saying sounds rather sound, "healthy foods" can take you to a surplus. For example, a lot of the healthy fats, like olive oil, nuts, nut butters as well as rice and lentils are all healthy foods, but they also pack a punch in terms of calories. With stuff like rice and fruits, calories add over time. It's no wonder people get older and wonder how they magically started gaining weight and "slowing down their metabolism" because they aren't well aware of how this works.

I really like counting calories because it's literally just a numbers game. Once you get it down, you can eat pretty much everything you want, without letting it up to fate to decide whether you gain or lose weight, which I know I have done once upon a time.

Okay, today I made modifications to my excercise. I start of walking 3.5 mph on the treadmill for 5 minutes. I jog/run at a speed of 5 mph for 30 minutes without stopping. To cool down, I walk again 3.5 mph for 5 minutes. Is this more effective?

Like I said, everything seems on point with what you said thus far. In the end, it's just a matter of how much energy your body is expending vs. how much you're taking in. Literally, whether you count them or not, calories are the deciding factor. Regarding excercise, do make sure you're actually having difficulty. aka, make sure you're putting in the effort. If you're running, break a sweat. I hear people do a lot of miles in spinning class or jogging, but if they're not actually putting in the effort, it's sort of in vain. I'd recommend working up the speed and setting lower time. More work during less time is more effective, much like HIIT (which I do recommend, but this is optional).

Might wanna watch your fruit intake - yes, it's better than candy, but it's still got a bunch of sugar in it. For example, an apple or two a day is fine. Half a grocery stand isn't.

Counting calories (or at least ballparking it) is ideal - if you know how much you're taking in, you'll have a rough idea of how much exercise you'll need to burn it off. If that freaks you out, do a food diary instead.

Lastly, baking/grilling/parboiling beats out frying/sauteing, when it comes to how your food is prepared. Butter/oil will add calories.

Was going to chip in what Eclipse said. Fruits are fine and all, but if you're looking to lose weight you should be moving towards veggies more than fruits. Fruits, because they tend to be very sugary, can be high in calories if consumed in larger quantities. Also don't listen to whoever is telling you not to count calories. Your body is the sum total of energy going into and moving out of your body. If you intelligently regulate the energy that you take in, you WILL lose weight regardless of what it is. The more knowledgeable you are about what food you are ingesting, the more likely you are to lose weight. That means paying attention to caloric content and serving sizes. If you have the will to control yourself and intelligently log your meals, you absolutely cannot fail. It is just a matter of willpower to modify your regular behavior.

As for exercise, that sounds pretty good. But it's not something you should be doing every day. You need to mix it up, including free weights into your routine. If you can manage, you should eventually move into heavy lifting, as it is the most efficient way to burn energy. In addition, on cardio days when you are using the treadmill, absolutely do not run the entire time on a flat plane. While you will get an exercise, it is incomparable to running in a natural environment, and won't work your body as hard. As a general rule I don't even bother running without increasing the incline to at least a 4% gradient. If you're trying to simulate running outside, keep it around 1 to 1.5%. Either way, make sure that you are pushing your limits and mixing it up. Your exercise routine may feel effective now, but it won't remain that way forever. Make sure to keep on top of your needs and adjust accordingly.

assuming you can't find your way to a gym or park (expenses, no car, etc) i would mix up your workout in the following ways

--free weight exercises. pushups, dips, the works. don't do crunches; look up other stuff

--sprint. 8-10+ mph should be sufficient. i strongly recommend going to a park or something. you can Google loads of sprinting exer.

--workout for 1-1.5 hours, 3-4 times a week. dieting advice above is good, count your calories on a typical day just to see how much you eat, then decide if you want to reach deficits. working out and eating a normal day's worth is similar to cutting, since athletes often need to eat more than avg

I do not quite have acess to excercise equipment such as weights. Would improvised equipment be a bad idea? I could use filled up milk jugs and large rocks as weights perhaps. I am really inspired by the Rocky films in doing this.

Edited by Zerxen

I think the real problem with this discussion is about how we're talking about losing weight and not becoming more healthy. Want to lose weight? Cut off your arm! Wanna lose even more? Jump in a volcano!

Don't calorie count, Zerxen. Use common sense and what feels right (with logic too, of course) to guide you. You can play with numbers all you want, but they really don't include important things such as our stress levels, when we eat, how much sleep we get, and how much water we drink and when we drink it.

I think the real problem with this discussion is about how we're talking about losing weight and not becoming more healthy. Want to lose weight? Cut off your arm! Wanna lose even more? Jump in a volcano!

Don't calorie count, Zerxen. Use common sense and what feels right (with logic too, of course) to guide you. You can play with numbers all you want, but they really don't include important things such as our stress levels, when we eat, how much sleep we get, and how much water we drink and when we drink it.

Y'know the greatest secret to weight loss? Calories burned > calories consumed.

TC's not looking for a drastic weight loss plan. Nor are we asking him to take out a food scale and use it on everything. But knowing what he eats, and roughly how much, will give him an idea of how long he'll have to exercise to keep the above equation true.

Please don't use emotion to back up your arguments.

I do not quite have acess to excercise equipment such as weights. Would improvised equipment be a bad idea? I could use filled up milk jugs and large rocks as weights perhaps. I am really inspired by the Rocky films in doing this.

that's why you do free weight exercises. i don't recommend improvising; the complex structure of household objects results in greater risk of injury, especially since you don't actually know how to lift yet.

this shit has to stop because op is just going to get confused. ultimately it is diet that leads to a healthy weight and a healthy lifestyle. to control diet, counting calories is necessary. one needs not be a stickler (ie, have cheat days or something), but to actually change something, you need to eat less. to feel healthier, you need to eat better. it's very simple. feeling a little stress is ok, it comes with change and becoming more disciplined. but yeah, self-care is very important. counting calories does not throw self-care out the window, though

You can do improvised weight, but it's not very optimal and you can get weights cheap at a walmart or any outlet store you have near you.

Jesus Christ, he's trying to lose fat by eating at a caloric deficit and doing exercise. You want to use common sense? Then add up the caloric content of the food you are eating and make sure it is suitably less than what you are expending. This feelgood mentality you're pushing is nice, but ultimately ineffective. I get the feeling you're one of those hilarious healthy at every size folks. If you are then find a better routine, because you're wasting your time.

OP can also eat what he wants, just in moderation. Counting calories doesn't mean that your goal for the day is zero, it just means keeping track (or ballparking) your intake for the day. People with eating disorders exist, but you can count calories without becoming anorexic. Being informed helps you to plan your diet. People often eat more than they need without realizing it. Grapes and Strawberries are great snacks, and are a healthy alternative to cake or candy, but if you eat a whole bag of fruit, you're still taking in a ton of calories.

I personally lost 30 pounds around 10 years ago, and kept it off until recently. (I'm expecting a baby this November, so I'm allowed to get fat.)

I've got a great exercise routine. It involves chasing a 23 month old toddler around. If you want to hire him as a personal trainer, I could try to put you in touch.

Is it bad to eat late night snacks? I heard it messes up your metabolism. Sometimes I would get hungry at like 9 PM, causing me to resort to eating boiled eggs. I kinda stopped eating sweets and cereals so late at night after reading it was unhealthy. Anyway I started counting calories like you guys said I should do and I realized I only had 1546 calories today; I burnt about 350-400 calories from my exercises so it's only like 1200 calories I had. Baby steps.

Edited by Zerxen

Also how exactly does losing weight work? It is my knowledge that 3500 calories is what it takes to lose or gain a pound. Does 3500 calories have to be in one day or is it over the course of week/month? I need someone to explain the process to me.

You can do improvised weight, but it's not very optimal and you can get weights cheap at a walmart or any outlet store you have near you.

Jesus Christ, he's trying to lose fat by eating at a caloric deficit and doing exercise. You want to use common sense? Then add up the caloric content of the food you are eating and make sure it is suitably less than what you are expending. This feelgood mentality you're pushing is nice, but ultimately ineffective. I get the feeling you're one of those hilarious healthy at every size folks. If you are then find a better routine, because you're wasting your time.

Funny because he (as of you posting this) NEVER mentioned Calories ONCE. You can say that my "feelgood mentality" is ineffective, but it's worked for me and it's worked for many others. I haven't had a soft drink in two years and I'm always in an uppity mood. I'm never physically fatigued unless I have just exercised, so yeah. Oh, and I eat as much as I want and I'm continually losing the stomach fat that I gained during puberty. Hmmm, weird! I wonder why...

It's because I don't put junk into my body!

And don't assume my stance on health. I know that being obese is unhealthy, but I also know that not everyone is going to have the same body-type when healthy. Ultimately, Calorie counting won't allow someone to find that body-type either. Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're no longer hungry (or slightly before, also assuming that one's not speed eating).

Also how exactly does losing weight work? It is my knowledge that 3500 calories is what it takes to lose or gain a pound. Does 3500 calories have to be in one day or is it over the course of week/month? I need someone to explain the process to me.

It's over any frame of time (kind of). Also, just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Edited by Loopulk

Is it bad to eat late night snacks? I heard it messes up your metabolism. Sometimes I would get hungry at like 9 PM, causing me to resort to eating boiled eggs. I kinda stopped eating sweets and cereals so late at night after reading it was unhealthy. Anyway I started counting calories like you guys said I should do and I realized I only had 1546 calories today; I burnt about 350-400 calories from my exercises so it's only like 1200 calories I had. Baby steps.

That's where calorie counting comes into play. It's very easy to over eat late at night, but if your total for the day is still below your threshold, a late night snack is fine. The effects on the time of day you eat are largely exaggerated. There may be a small effect on your metabolism, but in the end, it's still total calories for the day that counts.

You can look up a calorie calculator, if you haven't already, to get an exact idea of how many calories you need for the day. I'm not sure how old you are, but even with daily exercise 2000 calories may be low enough to gradually lose weight. 1500 eaten daily is probably on the low end, if you're doing intense exercise.

Until recently, I ate around 2000 calories a day, and I stayed the same weight for about 10 years. I was 5'11" 140+/-5 pounds with mild to moderate exercise. It's nice to work toward a body you can be proud of.

That is correct, 3,500 calories burned is equal to a pound of weight lost. You could burn it all in one day, but you would never want to. Your goal in losing weight should be a consistent routine that yields greater loss over a longer period of time. That means working out 3-5 days a week, with the remaining days left for recuperation. As you lose weight and become more interested in the feld you might find you like routines that target specific groups exclusively to mold yourself more closely. Until then, though, you should focus on general core exercises to build a strong base for healthy exercise.

Funny because he (as of you posting this) NEVER mentioned Calories ONCE. You can say that my "feelgood mentality" is ineffective, but it's worked for me and it's worked for many others. I haven't had a soft drink in two years and I'm always in an uppity mood. I'm never physically fatigued unless I have just exercised, so yeah. Oh, and I eat as much as I want and I'm continually losing the stomach fat that I gained during puberty. Hmmm, weird! I wonder why...

It's because I don't put junk into my body!

And don't assume my stance on health. I know that being obese is unhealthy, but I also know that not everyone is going to have the same body-type when healthy. Ultimately, Calorie counting won't allow someone to find that body-type either. Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're no longer hungry (or slightly before, also assuming that one's not speed eating).

It's over any frame of time (kind of). Also, just out of curiosity, how old are you?

He didn't mention calories because he was looking for information on weight loss. The only way to lose weight is through maintaining a caloric deficit, and the best way to maintain a caloric deficit is to know exactly how much energy you are putting in your body. I don't care how you insist you're able to eat whatever you want and keep the weight off. It's great for you that you're keeping yourself healthy, but it's not relevant to the topic and you're leading him astray by insisting he can do whatever he wants so long as he just uses common sense. He needs to develop a routine and good eating habits, and if he had them in the first place he wouldn't be trying to lose weight. He needs to monitor what he is eating, full stop. Calorie counting will let him do that.