Need advice about losing weight through the treadmill.

Zerxen

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went down 30 pounds around age 18, a big part of it for me was portion sizes. I used to just eat whatever was on my plate until it was gone. It's an easy way to eat too much. Knowing how many calories are in those portions is how you go about planning your meals.

Getting a smaller plate helps a lot, or if you are eating out, ask for a box right off the bat, and put half of the meal into the box. (I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but here in the USA, half a restaurant dish is usually more than enough for dinner.) And when you do teat yourself, get the small. A small treat is good, and adds less calories than a jumbo size.

These are good ideas, the former especially when making a meal. The smaller plate, the less you feel the need to fill it up. In addition, it's prudent to consume a glass or two of water about fifteen minutes prior to preparing a meal. This will keep you from bending and making a portion far too large, or from snacking while making the meal.

So eating like a normal person will give one an eating disorder but Calorie counting won't? If you want to destroy your body, go ahead. I've never had to go hungry for years and I feel great.

Calorie counting helps you eat like a normal person. Eating at his discretion is what caused him to become overweight. It's great that you feel great, but he doesn't and wants to change his body, and he should use a more efficient method than "do whatever feels right maaaan."

So eating like a normal person will give one an eating disorder but Calorie counting won't? If you want to destroy your body, go ahead. I've never had to go hungry for years and I feel great.

What is with you and eating disorders? Counting calories does not equal starving yourself. It is just watching what you eat and how much of it was consumed. Stop pretending to be some sort of expert. I got overweight because of a lack of calorie counting. Calorie counting will get me out of this problem. Edited by Zerxen

I didn't say that people can't get eating disorders from counting calories. I don't care that people can get eating disorders from counting calories. People can also get eating disorders from eating until they feel full.

I eat a caloric deficit whenever I am trying to lose weight,

People normally at until they're full. That's how our body functions. Nobody's going to develop an eating disorder by eating like someone normally would.

Whenever you're trying to lose weight? So you've tried on more than one occasion? Maybe Calorie counting didn't work or isn't sustainable.

Calorie counting helps you eat like a normal person. Eating at his discretion is what caused him to become overweight. It's great that you feel great, but he doesn't and wants to change his body, and he should use a more efficient method than "do whatever feels right maaaan."

Normal people don't Calorie count.

What is with you and eating disorders? Counting calories does not equal starving yourself. It is just watching what you eat and how much of it was consumed. Stop pretending to be some sort of expert. I got overweight because of a lack of calorie counting. Calorie counting will get me out of this problem.

Really? A lack of Calorie counting is what caused you to be overweight? So you're telling me that you only ate health food, drank plenty a water, got enough sleep, and exercised daily? Well I'll be! If that's the case, go see a doctor.

please get off the topic of counting calories. those against, stop. you're simply wrong. it's a widely employed, mostly successful strategy.

also, esau, where did the 1.5x bodyweight bench come from? that's pretty heavy.

People normally at until they're full. That's how our body functions. Nobody's going to develop an eating disorder by eating like someone normally would.

Alright. STOP. NOW!

Do you know what happens if I eat "normally"? I will ruin my life. No, I'm not being melodramatic. If I eat things that stress my system out too much, I wind up with a nasty bout of depression, which really fucks with everything. Here, have some reading.

At one point in time, I lost seven pounds in a matter of weeks. Want to know the "secret"? I wound up having to restrict my diet like crazy, and I burned more calories than I consumed. How do I know I did that? I cut out a lot of calorie-dense foods very quickly. . .and just about everything else, too. Before anyone else tries to mimic this, I also had my blood pressure plummet, so don't do this.

Your post reads like "well it's common sense for me so it should work for everyone". I may be one person out of many, but I'd either be in a psych ward or dead if I followed your advice. So kindly cut it out.

The problem with just eating until you're full, is that there's a bit of a lag between your gut and your brain as to when you're full. If you eat a lot of food quickly, you'll eat more than if you ate slowly, or took a bit of time in between courses of your meal.

It's a complicated process, but the full sensation is a mixture of chemicals that your digestive system releases when it senses food in the alimentary canal and the actual physical expansion of the stomach. If you take in food quickly, it takes time for the full sensation to take effect.

It's a wonderful mix of the digestive, endocrine, and neurological systems working in concert. I'm not a nutritionist, but I am a physician. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, and no one here is a patient of mine, but I know enough to give standard-of-care general advice on the subject.

Alright. STOP. NOW!

Do you know what happens if I eat "normally"? I will ruin my life. No, I'm not being melodramatic. If I eat things that stress my system out too much, I wind up with a nasty bout of depression, which really fucks with everything. Here, have some reading.

At one point in time, I lost seven pounds in a matter of weeks. Want to know the "secret"? I wound up having to restrict my diet like crazy, and I burned more calories than I consumed. How do I know I did that? I cut out a lot of calorie-dense foods very quickly. . .and just about everything else, too. Before anyone else tries to mimic this, I also had my blood pressure plummet, so don't do this.

Your post reads like "well it's common sense for me so it should work for everyone". I may be one person out of many, but I'd either be in a psych ward or dead if I followed your advice. So kindly cut it out.

I was referring to not Calorie counting. I did a quick scan of the page and CTRL+F "Calo" and found nothing, so I'm assuming that that's not relevant to Calorie counting. And there are of course some exceptional cases, but Zerxen is probably not one. If he were one, he should go see a doctor.

The problem with just eating until you're full, is that there's a bit of a lag between your gut and your brain as to when you're full. If you eat a lot of food quickly, you'll eat more than if you ate slowly, or took a bit of time in between courses of your meal.

It's a complicated process, but the full sensation is a mixture of chemicals that your digestive system releases when it senses food in the alimentary canal and the actual physical expansion of the stomach. If you take in food quickly, it takes time for the full sensation to take effect.

It's a wonderful mix of the digestive, endocrine, and neurological systems working in concert. I'm not a nutritionist, but I am a physician. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, and no one here is a patient of mine, but I know enough to give standard-of-care general advice on the subject.

I mentioned that like three or four times so far. Why are you bringing it up as if I don't know? Another thing that needs to be mentioned is that by Calorie counting, food becomes more of a game. People are more focused on the Calories and not actually enjoying the food (which they should do), thus not feel as satisfied and not feeling full as quickly.

Edited by Loopulk

@ Loopulk, my point was that you can't strictly go by how your body feels to let you know the proper amount of food to eat. We evolved to want far more food than we need, which served us well in Hunter-Gatherer days, but not so well when food is always readily available. I understand you probably mean well, but I think your views are somewhat misinformed. You are free to disagree with me, of course.

Calories are just a measurement. There are exceptions, but most people will not develop an eating disorder, just by knowing how many calories are in their food.

Edited by Rezzy

@ Loopulk, my point was that you can't strictly go by how your body feels to let you know the proper amount of food to eat. We evolved to want far more food than we need, which served us well in Hunter-Gatherer days, but not so well when food is always readily available. I understand you probably mean well, but I think your views are somewhat misinformed. You are free to disagree with me, of course.

We easily feel like trash when overeating, though. We also feel lightheaded when we don't eat enough. Our bodies are pretty reliable. Furthermore, if I am not right, then do people manage to lose weight doing what I do while eating healthy food? Like why are you guys chiefly encouraging Calorie counting and not things that are unambiguously healthy like getting plenty of sleep and drinking lots of water? Calorie counting should only be temporary if employed at all. Drinking lots of water and getting plenty of sleep are good habits.

We easily feel like trash when overeating, though. We also feel lightheaded when we don't eat enough. Our bodies are pretty reliable. Furthermore, if I am not right, then do people manage to lose weight doing what I do while eating healthy food? Like why are you guys chiefly encouraging Calorie counting and not things that are unambiguously healthy like getting plenty of sleep and drinking lots of water? Calorie counting should only be temporary if employed at all. Drinking lots of water and getting plenty of sleep are good habits.

They are good habits, but not enough in isolation. Even if you drink plenty of water and sleep 8 hours a night, you won't lose weight if you're eating 3000 calories a day.

They are good habits, but not enough in isolation. Even if you drink plenty of water and sleep 8 hours a night, you won't lose weight if you're eating 3000 calories a day.

And even if someone is "properly" Calorie counting, that won't matter if the metabolism is made to suck due to other poor habits. Fact of the matter is, y'alls aren't encouraging these habits which are good for anyone (again, with a super duper tiny amount of exceptions).

Also, not all Calories are made equally. Things that are less refined (like organic nuts) are harder for our bodies to digest than something more refined, so we won't "get" all of the Calories in unrefined things. Plus, Calorie counting can get stressful...

Edited by Loopulk

You're higher than the average, if we're going by the total population. The ideal standard to be measured by is 1.5x bodyweight, but the average person can probably only bench about 1x, if that. Most people are pretty out of shape, so they tend to push that bell curve leftwards haha

The "average" person? With a few months of training, I take. You won't see a 160-170lb individual doing it right off the bat, especially The Bench, which is a movement that really reires you to hardwire those movement patterns (balancing the weight is more pressure than the actual weight itself, at times).

When it comes to counting calories, should you "erase" calories that have been burnt out from excercise? Not to say that I will eat back those calories, I heard that's bad.

Edited by Zerxen

When it comes to counting calories, should you "erase" calories that have been burnt out from excercise? Not to say that I will eat back those calories, I heard that's bad.

No, just count the calories you've burned and take them into account.

I agree with Soul. It's also hard to get a very exact idea of exactly how many calories you are burning, depending on how vigorous the exercise is, so it's easy to overestimate, if you do an elaborate addition/subtraction for calories vs burned for the day. While, depending on what you eat, you can get a very exact number for intake, which is the more important number to keep track of. It's surprising how much exercise it takes to burn a single candy bar.

I agree with Soul. It's also hard to get a very exact idea of exactly how many calories you are burning, depending on how vigorous the exercise is, so it's easy to overestimate, if you do an elaborate addition/subtraction for calories vs burned for the day. While, depending on what you eat, you can get a very exact number for intake, which is the more important number to keep track of. It's surprising how much exercise it takes to burn a single candy bar.

Why is it surprising? It's super refined junk food with lots of sugar.

also, esau, where did the 1.5x bodyweight bench come from? that's pretty heavy.

That's simply what I've been told is the expected single press standard for athleticism in males.

The "average" person? With a few months of training, I take. You won't see a 160-170lb individual doing it right off the bat, especially The Bench, which is a movement that really reires you to hardwire those movement patterns (balancing the weight is more pressure than the actual weight itself, at times).

True, but I was thinking of the machine, and not the actual bench. An amateur can easily press an extra forty pounds on it because it takes care of all the stabilizing for them.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

I read your original post and think everything is on track to be honest sounds like you know what to do. Some other things I would try is some fartlek runs on the treadmill set a distance that you are going to run for (2mi for example) and run the first 400m at a normal pace next 400m pump the pace up to anywhere from 75-90% of your pace and keep repeating until you get to your set distance. Inclines also help alot and I suggest even with normal running on a treadmill to set a 0.5-1 level incline to simulate running outside (as running on the treadmill rubber actually helps you slightly as far as speed is concerned). Hope all goes well.

I don't know why I didn't post this sooner, but my mom is a part of a group called ItWorks. It's about giving people products that help them get healthier and live better. I know there's a ton of controversy around it, but trust me, this is legit. My family uses it, a number of our friends use it. I highly recommend checking it out as it will help you accomplish your goal, Zerxen. Specifically, the Wraps. They are pieces of fabric that "wrap" around your body and eat at your fat...or something. I've never used it myself as I never needed to, but I think that's what it does? It works, so... :)

http://www.myitworks.com/

Edited by Power Master

I don't know why I didn't post this sooner, but my mom is a part of a group called ItWorks. It's about giving people products that help them get healthier and live better. I know there's a ton of controversy around it, but trust me, this is legit. My family uses it, a number of our friends use it. I highly recommend checking it out as it will help you accomplish your goal, Zerxen. Specifically, the Wraps. They are pieces of fabric that "wrap" around your body and eat at your fat...or something. I've never used it myself as I never needed to, but I think that's what it does? It works, so... :)

http://www.myitworks.com/

At the very least, I think a bit of the opinions of people who don't think it's a worthwhile product would be useful to show as well.

The following reviewer seemed to take the product very seriously:

https://www.realself.com/review/n-a-works-body-wraps-review-real-colorado

A critical review which notes that the principal it works product can be found much more cheaply on amazon and ebay:

http://ethanvanderbuilt.com/2015/07/13/it-works-scam-yes-opinion/

In this thread, where people debate whether it is a scam or not, you'll note that almost every single poster who supported the product stated that they were a distributor, and that in the first page, one tried to include self-promotion and contact info so they could get another customer. And a few try and solicit for the product.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?117913-It-Works-marketing-anyone-know

Edited by PP UP

Does weight for people vary upon the time of day? Today I weighed myself at 163.8 lbs. I weighed myself yesterday and the scale told me I was 165.6. Unless I lost weight in a day, I find it quite odd. Both times, I weighed myself during noonish.

Edited by Zerxen

They typically say you weigh less in the morning (don't know if thats true or not) which makes some sense provided you haven't eaten anything. But that amount isn't too abnormal could just as well be water weight (it weighs alot more than people think).