Need advice about losing weight through the treadmill.

Zerxen

not gonna read four pages but im going to suggest something im assuming a lot of people have already. in addition to the dieting and all, i would suggest a lot of running. you know your own limits, so maybe do a good amount the first day and scale back to a more comfortable goal and slowly work up from there. a treadmill at a gym would be nice but i think you said that is not possible? in terms of the difficulty, television or you some task that keeps your mind occupied should help so you dont think about the fatigue. i only know from personal experience though. i was peddling yesterday(bc i swear this helps ease the knots in my arm after i do a heavy set. does it have to do with redirected blood flow from my arms to leg? rezzy halp) and updating my playlist at the same time. was doing this for 18 minutes and the playlist took a good 8 minutes to finalize.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does weight for people vary upon the time of day? Today I weighed myself at 163.8 lbs. I weighed myself yesterday and the scale told me I was 165.6. Unless I lost weight in a day, I find it quite odd. Both times, I weighed myself during noonish.

Weight can fluctuate over the day, with the obvious increase after eating and decrease after pooping or working out due to water loss secondary to sweating. Just try to be consistent when you weigh yourself. Weighing yourself right after one of the above times is generally not recommended. First thing in the morning or right before you go to bed are good times.

not gonna read four pages but im going to suggest something im assuming a lot of people have already. in addition to the dieting and all, i would suggest a lot of running. you know your own limits, so maybe do a good amount the first day and scale back to a more comfortable goal and slowly work up from there. a treadmill at a gym would be nice but i think you said that is not possible? in terms of the difficulty, television or you some task that keeps your mind occupied should help so you dont think about the fatigue. i only know from personal experience though. i was peddling yesterday(bc i swear this helps ease the knots in my arm after i do a heavy set. does it have to do with redirected blood flow from my arms to leg? rezzy halp) and updating my playlist at the same time. was doing this for 18 minutes and the playlist took a good 8 minutes to finalize.

It may that your mind is dividing focus between the soreness in you arms and legs, rather than focusing on just the arms. Decreased blood flow would actually make the arms hurt more, since it would take longer to clear out lactic acid and other processes to heal the muscles back up.

Okay so my treadmill has been- worn out... The model is an Image 16.0q so it isn't exactly a quality product. Normally I run on the treadmill but recently it has been shaky. Would it be a good idea to substitute running with extended periods of walking? Like I walk at 4 mph for 30-45 minutes.

Okay so my treadmill has been- worn out... The model is an Image 16.0q so it isn't exactly a quality product. Normally I run on the treadmill but recently it has been shaky. Would it be a good idea to substitute running with extended periods of walking? Like I walk at 4 mph for 30-45 minutes.

Certainly wouldn't hurt. Add some variety like a jump rope for 30 mins or maybe even just general HITT bodyweight stuff like mountain climbers and circuit training.

=/ unsure about the walking thing. i think you'd need to do unhealthy amounts for it to do anything close to cardio. yeah running sucks, but burning fat is an endergonic process and it is supposed to hurt. is jogging outside an option?

=/ unsure about the walking thing. i think you'd need to do unhealthy amounts for it to do anything close to cardio. yeah running sucks, but burning fat is an endergonic process and it is supposed to hurt. is jogging outside an option?

No, I have a younger sibling to care for in my home and our parents are not home very much. Using a treadmill is more convient since it allows me to be at home with my sibling. Also, walking IS cardio. Even if it isn't intense as running, it is much better than sitting on your bum all day.

No, I have a younger sibling to care for in my home and our parents are not home very much. Using a treadmill is more convient since it allows me to be at home with my sibling. Also, walking IS cardio. Even if it isn't intense as running, it is much better than sitting on your bum all day.

Dude, I totally get how you feel here. I'm the oldest and have to watch over my younger sibs all day cause my parents are always at work...

If your treadmill isn't capable of letting you run on it anymore, then simply walk on it, yeah. But you'd have to extend it long enough or throw in some other exercises (like jump rope LordTaco suggested) to meet up with the calories running would burn.

Dude, I totally get how you feel here. I'm the oldest and have to watch over my younger sibs all day cause my parents are always at work...

If your treadmill isn't capable of letting you run on it anymore, then simply walk on it, yeah. But you'd have to extend it long enough or throw in some other exercises (like jump rope LordTaco suggested) to meet up with the calories running would burn.

I have been trying out other excercises. I have been doing wall pushups to build up some upper body strength. With the damaged treadmill, I have also been doing jumping jacks and step ups using a chair to makeup for my decreased cardio. It is actually pretty fun and I can see myself doing this everyday. I also walk my dog on a daily basis so this is icing on the cake (I have been doing this before dieting or working out.)

Does weight for people vary upon the time of day? Today I weighed myself at 163.8 lbs. I weighed myself yesterday and the scale told me I was 165.6. Unless I lost weight in a day, I find it quite odd. Both times, I weighed myself during noonish.

urgh, please don't go there. People who are new to this tend to weigh themselves on the daily. Yes, it's perfectly normal for weight to fluctuate. That doesn't mean you aren't progressing, assuming you're in a calorie deficit.

I have been trying out other excercises. I have been doing wall pushups to build up some upper body strength. With the damaged treadmill, I have also been doing jumping jacks and step ups using a chair to makeup for my decreased cardio. It is actually pretty fun and I can see myself doing this everyday. I also walk my dog on a daily basis so this is icing on the cake (I have been doing this before dieting or working out.)

Another thing to consider is if your treadmill has an incline option to add a slight incline (like a 2 or 3) and walk up it for awhile.

Another thing to consider is if your treadmill has an incline option to add a slight incline (like a 2 or 3) and walk up it for awhile.

I've been meaning to do that but unfortunately incline never worked, literally. The treadmill in the household was something our neighbors gave away.

I've been meaning to do that but unfortunately incline never worked, literally. The treadmill in the household was something our neighbors gave away.

Maybe tilt it by resting it on concrete blocks or something? Whatever works, right?

Maybe tilt it by resting it on concrete blocks or something? Whatever works, right?

Not sure if I can do that or if it is even possible to tilt the machine judging from the design of it. Anyways, does weight loss depend mostly on calorie counting- as in excercise is just a second priority?

Anyways, does weight loss depend mostly on calorie counting- as in excercise is just a second priority?

Yep, it's all about burning more calories than you take in in the end.

urgh, please don't go there. People who are new to this tend to weigh themselves on the daily. Yes, it's perfectly normal for weight to fluctuate. That doesn't mean you aren't progressing, assuming you're in a calorie deficit.

Fun fact, you gain a very small amount of weight every time you fart or burp. The gas that leaves your body is lighter than air. So no one should fret about slight fluctuations throughout a day. This was according to some weird fact-book in my bathroom.

Also, I know this is Zerxen's thread and my question may not apply to his workout, but does anyone bicycle for cardio? What's a good exercise that balances well with cycling? I've got dumbells, but I'm getting the impression that I'm just completely missing my torso and only working out my arms and legs.

Sorry for straying a little off topic.

Fun fact, you gain a very small amount of weight every time you fart or burp. The gas that leaves your body is lighter than air. So no one should fret about slight fluctuations throughout a day. This was according to some weird fact-book in my bathroom.

Also, I know this is Zerxen's thread and my question may not apply to his workout, but does anyone bicycle for cardio? What's a good exercise that balances well with cycling? I've got dumbells, but I'm getting the impression that I'm just completely missing my torso and only working out my arms and legs.

Sorry for straying a little off topic.

Bicycle's great for cardio. Also excellent for warming up the legs if you're going to be working on them. Great exercises that would mesh well with cycling include squats and lunges. I'm about to go out and do exactly this, actually.

As for torso, there are lots you can do, which I would recommend between sets of other exercises. Sit-ups are the most obvious, which I generally pair with push-ups and planks. You can vary it up with fun stuff like dumbbell side bends and oblique crunches and stuff like that, but you'll want to start basic if you're building up a good core.

I think any weight change from that is negligible, although it's still a loss of mass, even if it increases your density. (Fun fact if it's true though. :D) In fact, most of the weight you lose is exhaled or urinated. What you poop out is mostly stuff your body never absorbed in the first place.

I have to say, I have no regrets doing this. Everyday, I eat around 1400-1700 calories. Additionally, I excercise several times a week. In the past 3 weeks, I have lost about 7 pounds. Calorie counting allowed me to regulate my apetite and distinguish between hunger and recreational eating.

I have to say, I have no regrets doing this. Everyday, I eat around 1400-1700 calories. Additionally, I excercise several times a week. In the past 3 weeks, I have lost about 7 pounds. Calorie counting allowed me to regulate my apetite and distinguish between hunger and recreational eating.

Glad to hear you're doing well. I need to start eating a bit healthier myself, but I don't have a functioning stove/oven right now.

Good job! A lot of this is developing healthy routines. After awhile you no longer feel the need to eat while bored, and you feel uncomfortable going a long time without exercising. If you keep this up for a few months you'll make serious progress towards the kind of goals you're looking for. Just keep at it, that's the key to success. :)

Is eating before bed bad? I excercise late at night because of school and generally I have a banana as a PWO food. I don't sleep right away, I eat about 45 min before sleeping.

It's all about total calories. Eating before bed is mostly bad, because you can easily go over your limit, without realizing it. As long as you're keeping track, you'll be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I am now 149.6 lbs. I am about 5'5 (technically 5'4 and 3/4 but I round up normally) and I am now at a healthy weight. Is there any point where I no longer have to calorie count? I won't do it right away.

I am now 149.6 lbs. I am about 5'5 (technically 5'4 and 3/4 but I round up normally) and I am now at a healthy weight. Is there any point where I no longer have to calorie count? I won't do it right away.

Great job! It's hard to say you'll never have to calorie count. I've been a healthy weight for a decade. I don't count every single calorie, but I still ballpark it. It just becomes second nature after a while. You can still treat yourself every once in a while.