The Anarchist of Music Thread: Still hungers for new submissions!

Dijon Mustard: sounds like chris is gonna leave a pretty critical review on tripadvisor dot com

Whatever else the song may be, it was worth it for that moment when the guitar first kicks in. The "whatever else" is still pretty good, but that was my favorite moment.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disinnocence: The Mars Volta is a band I feel is rightfully labeled as eclectic and/or bizarre, because that's the only way I could really describe their brand of jazzy, latin funk-prog the band is so well-known for. They somehow manage to take discord and chaos and mold it into something engaging and catchy. PLEASE COME BACK TO US.

I'd agree with the sentiment of that statement, as I found this song rather engaging. Got any recs for starting albums, @Disinnocence?

thanks for the recommendations fucc I'll check that out in an unspecified amount of time ok it won't be long.

Foolin' Around: I appreciate this "super rare doo-wop."  i feel i somewhat relate to this song even though i can't relate to this song.  don't ask how or why.

Blue Hotelbut is there a complementary breakfast and wifi?  but seriously the guitar tone is too fucking sick not to love plus I like the nighttime aesthetic idk it just sounds like it. 

TL;DR: Start with De-Loused in the Comatorium, move on to Frances the Mute and Noctourniquet, then try the rest if you like those.  Or you can just listen to them in release order.  It still works. 

Spoiler

I'd say that for starting albums, you'd be best served to listen to the rest of De-Loused in the Comatorium.  It's what certain fans consider to be their only good album (obviously not true, fuck their shitty opinions), but I do agree it's one of their better outputs, due to it being less weird than the next three records that follow it.  It's got that same jazzy, latin-funk-prog that's displayed on the song.  Pretty much a required listen when getting into these guys.  If you do like what you're hearing and aren't afraid of delving further into... uhh, whatever The Mars Volta is, then move onto their next record and masterpiece (imo at least), Frances the Mute.  It's got longer songs, more Spanish influence, a more confusing concept, long ambient sections, and Cassandra Gemini, the 32-minute closing track that, while it isn't my favorite track, is possibly their best song.  Depends on how you feel.  After those two, you really have to make a decision on whether you want to continue. 

Amputechture, described by the band as the "autistic child," features a Filthy Frank look-alike on the cover and Tetragrammaton, probably one of the band's weirdest compositions.  It's their most experimental release, and while I find this album endearing in a way, a lot of people think it's not that good so just know what you're getting into.  It's strange.  Next up would be The Bedlam in Goliath, an album that features concepts and lyrics taken from a "cursed oujia board the band dubbed "The Soothsayer," and is their most exhausting and heavy album.  It's pretty much a non-stop assault on the listener, but in a good way.  This album rarely lets up through it's 70-minute runtime, a feat I think only TMV could pull off.  It's also really good.  After that, we have Octahedron.  Definitely my least favorite record they've put out, but that's not to say it's bad in any way though.  TMV hasn't really put out anything lackluster.  It's more toned-down and controlled than what the band usually does.  I appreciate their effort on this one, but it's just not for me; maybe it's for you.  Lastly comes Noctourniquet, in which I controversially think is their third best record.  It's the most accessible record they've done, plus it's got quite a bit of electronic influence scattered throughout it.  It's really worth it just for "Empty Vessels Make the Loudest Sounds."  Most people didn't vibe too much with this one, but I'd say to check this one out anyway.  I love it so much.

Edited by Disinnocence

get right witcha

On 1/31/2017 at 7:16 PM, Knight Falchion said:

patsy

girl u deserve better bby fuckin with this clown smh

pleasant little ditty with just enough teeth. it's good

On 2/1/2017 at 6:45 PM, Knight Falchion said:

Dijon Mustard

#DijonRecommends the first two chris isaak albums, silvertone and s/t. got a well-documented love of country music that's exactly one degree removed from being actual country music. rockabilly!

On 2/2/2017 at 5:03 PM, Knight Falchion said:

TL;R

i've listened to all their albums (peer pressure >>>>) but tbh the only one i care for is tremulant. when i had it in my library i swapped out the studio version of "concertina" for a live recording where cedric doesn't sound too stoned to sing, made it thaaaat much better

Ty for the recs to both of you, will check 'em out

Balcerzak: This is a massive departure from anything I've shared thus far. It's straight up folk music. This is not Backworld's most well-known song (that would be The Devil's Plaything), but I'm partial to this one a little bit more. (I had also considered Hands of Ash, which is another good one, but this one ended up getting the nod.)

Yeah, this fits pretty well into my musical preferences. Very pretty and somber; I'll likely be checking out the other songs mentioned.

dISINNOCENCE: yeah yeah yeah, I know it's death grips, but this is the song that made me love government plates.

Nice fever dream. The striking contrast between the two different backing synth lines was probably my favorite part

"volcano pussy melt your peter like ice" is still the best lyric of all time. 

Leaves of Autumn: it's pretty alright. 

Distant Past: while I'm not sure why they want to go to the time before this song existed, it's pretty fun and catchy and I liked the chorus quite a bit. 

Sonic Titan: vaguely reminiscent of arcade fire, but maybe it's the other way around.  I liked the visuals, and the instrumentation is fun and theatrical.  very good. 

I don't know if I need to go into a long explanation about what Death Grips albums you should listen to, but just know that you should listen to all of them at this point.  It's Death Grips.  I will say that Government Plates is a very special album, because it feels so eerie and otherworldly.  It's extremely enigmatic, and I could possibly say it's their best work considering nothing else sounds like it, but that would probably be a controversial opinion.  Plus I don't think it is anyway, but it's one of their best and most underrated. 

I have listened to a couple of Death Grips albums, specifically the Money Store and The Powers That B, so I do like their stuff. I just haven't gotten around to most of it. 

Nonagon Infinity opens the door to an album of psychedelic sonic pleasure. But really, if you like this song, check out the whole album since it's experienced best altogether.

also there's a better quality version of the song to be found on youtube but the accompanying music video is basically cancer and may trigger epileptic seizures so i posted this version instead

The song queue's down to 0, so get submitting. Or just let me post the entirety of K;I!'s Ruination and then whatever I feel like after that. Up to you.

Disinnocence: who knew you could make something so heavy and industrial so catchy?

I didn't, but my guess is it's because of those nice persistent background riffs. That last minute was a great wrap up for the song as a whole, too. Will be checking this album out for sure.

Edited by Knight Falchion

I'm TRYING TO SUBMIT VERY FAST BUT I CAN'T DO IT ALONE

Robot Stop: Nonagon Infinity was one of my favorite """rock""" albums last year and this song is so HYPE.  I'm excited for whatever they're supposed to release this year.

oh yeah end position was also a very good album from last year.  it comes highly recommended by yours truly.  it's a 30-minute heavy and industrial electronic-punk (?) assault that barely lets go, and you'll be happy it never does.  

Yeah, I'll be checking it out tomorrow (actually later today but I'm trying to pretend I didn't completely forget about this thread)

I could only find a live version so pardon the noisy crowd. There are other renditions of this ditty, but Solas's is my favorite for both nostalgic and musical reasons (her voice is gr9).

D I S I NN O C E N C E: Well, I was debating on whether I should submit this song, but I decided that since the thread is SONG-DEFICIENT, I'll go ahead and do it anyway. Who's gonna stop me? It's probably one of my favorite songs of all-time and definitely the best Archive song (Again is fantastic, but not as good AS THIS). If this is my last submission, I'd be okay with that.

I myself am debating if interest in this thread has waned to the point of giving up on it. I really don't want to, though, so as long as people/a person keeps submitting, I'll keep updating. Also, if someone wants to submit two songs at once I would not be against it, at least for the time being.

The vocals were firmly in the not bad but also not memorable category, so while it's not to the detriment of the song it gets no points. Everything else, though, was pretty great imo, and I like the mood. In short, I can dig it and would be willing to listen to all those minutes again. 

Edited by Knight Falchion
garbage wording as per usual

fuckcoi: i actually discovered this through anime.......................... but the pillows are legit as fuck and they duidn't even make this song for an anime it was just used

Yeah, this was pretty fucking legit. It's okay to discover things through anime sometimes (I say as I have Berserk paused on my TV) and it's especially OK when it leads to cool shit

I used to love these guys a lot more than I do now, but this song in particular still holds nostalgic and musical value to me. Fuck, I wanna go back to Iceland. also there was a rant about the grammys (particularly the best metal performance winner) in my comments but i took it out because it's not relevant. it is immortalized in the spreadsheet, though

it's a fatal illusion to think that any good bands will win grammy's, but baroness SHOULD HAVE WON.  I mean, i kinda wanted periphery to win too, but I think baroness really should have been the one. 

Nil Na La: good and pretty music and I think the live atmosphere accommodates it nicely. 

Triumph Of A Heart: it's bjork

Advice: I'll echo the GOOD FUCKING SHIT because that's about the best way to describe it.  anbime is ok. 

Dirty Paws: i'm a pretty big fan of beneath the skin, especially the latter half of it (the last three songs are SO GOOD), but I still like this album/song decently enough.  

I might do a long write-up on Archive tomorrow or the next few days, but I'm too lazy to do it now.  Good starting albums are Controlling Crowds (Parts I-IV, it's two albums), You All Look The Same To Me, and Lights.  The rest are good, but just start with those I guess?

For Balance and Composure, all of their albums are pretty good, but I think Light We Made is my favorite and also their most stand-out record.  

11 hours ago, fuccboi said:

i'll expose you

"also the grammys sucked again but not as bad as last year. fuckin why did shitty ass megadeth win over baroness? this isn't even relevant and i shouldn't be mad, i know the grammys are dumb" - knight 'fraud' falchion

Shiiiiiet, now everyone will know

RIP, my credibility. You will be kinda missed

7 hours ago, Disinnocence said:

it's a fatal illusion to think that any good bands will win grammy's, but baroness SHOULD HAVE WON.  I mean, i kinda wanted periphery to win too, but I think baroness really should have been the one. 

I would have been okay if literally anyone but Dave Mustaine's Shitty Political Posturing and Friends had won

But there I go again, caring too much about the Grammys of all things

50 minutes ago, fuccboi said:

disclaimer: that wasn't the album version of advice, it's a mashup of the album version and the later anime version (with the solo) which explains the weird cut at one point in the song. it's lit tho so i picked it lmao

Oh ok. I actually didn't notice the cut when I listened but as you say it's lit tho so I'll listen again regardless lol

ffuucccc: yes

no, hell yes