Ruffina's Artsy Stuff

Limstella

Hello! :Lilina:

So over the last year or so, I've gotten more invested into digital and traditional art (mostly of FE), and figured I should post some of it here! I currently use a wacom inutos draw, and Clip studio paint pro (You can purchase it over at: http://www.clipstudio.net/en , if you plan on getting, wait for it to go on sale, it happens pretty often). My art style is more of soft shade-y style compared to FE's cel shaded style, mostly because I prefer the colors themselves to not rely on lineart if that makes any sense :P

My style's not the neatest haha, I'm having a bit of trouble with the stabilizers for my tablet at the moment. Prepare to look at some sketchier art and lineart in the spoilers below.

--------------------------------

11/28/16

Currently going for a realistic style, so don't be afraid to judge on anatomy and such! Still trying to develop a proper style, so be patient with me~

tumblr_o9ela5f00K1uygxybo1_500.jpg

tumblr_o78ghhq5Lt1uygxybo1_500.jpg

tumblr_o2gsn7di2G1uygxybo1_500.jpg

tumblr_o2k83hwgIu1uygxybo1_500.jpg

totally_real_fates_dlc_by_grandmastermor

tumblr_inline_o8xvg92kYa1twkz3d_500.jpg

Most recent work:

N/A (aka photobucket not loadign)

Anyways, if you have any advice, let me know! :Hugh:

casually revives art thread (Gotten mod permission)

Edited by Limstella

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, if you have Clip Studio Paint Pro, you should definitely take advantage of the 3D Anatomical models that the program has. You can also customize and change the pose to whatever you see fit. They're really good for references. (That's pretty much the only reason I use it haha............................)

EDIT: As for any other advice, if you're going for a more painted look, try to take advantage of the blending so the difference in colours is more...obvious and sharp? With the second last drawing, some of the colours are pretty similar to each other that there's a lack of contrast between the shading and the base colour which makes it looks a bit muddied.

Edited by carefreejules

Oh, if you have Clip Studio Paint Pro, you should definitely take advantage of the 3D Anatomical models that the program has. You can also customize and change the pose to whatever you see fit. They're really good for references. (That's pretty much the only reason I use it haha............................)

Wheredidthesecomefromomg Thank you! Wish I found these earlier haha :D

Wheredidthesecomefromomg Thank you! Wish I found these earlier haha :D

No problem! I added more to my comment in an edit because I didn't want to double post X'D

Also, something I noticed with your colouring - if this is the style you're going for then pardon this additional tip - but if you want to go for a more vibrant palette or colour scheme for your drawings, don't use greyer/darker version for the shading.

tumblr_inline_o1qnqgjeBf1smqwki_500.jpg

tumblr_o0hw9uYNdz1ruz4y3o1_500.png

tumblr_inline_njkjm6Mpzr1si6fkq.png

Using a slight variation of a different darker colour will add a bit more *pop* to your drawings :>

tumblr_o9qtqgqtqp1uygxybo1_1280.jpg

Elphin from FE6 :^) Tried using more vibrant colors for shading this time.

See how more lively and vibrant your drawings are? That's a big improvement so very well done!

As for proportion, the head looks way too big in proportion to the body. Notice how everything is big from the head and slowly gets smaller towards the feet? You want to make sure the sizing of the body is consistent. The only time where you would draw big from the top and gradually draw smaller as you move down to the feet, is if you were drawing the character from an aerial angle.

As for proportion, the head looks way too big in proportion to the body. Notice how everything is big from the head and slowly gets smaller towards the feet? You want to make sure the sizing of the body is consistent. The only time where you would draw big from the top and gradually draw smaller as you move down to the feet, is if you were drawing the character from an aerial angle.

Hmm, I see what you mean, and I (hopefully) fixed it the best I could. Proportions are still a big struggle of mine :P

tumblr_o9qtqgqtqp1uygxybo1_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_oa0ktdgCLL1vw0nuoo1_540.png I can't figure out why her arms look off without making the arms too long :/

I think her arms need to be a bit longer because the elbows should end around the waist area and it looks to me like they're ending just under the breast area, at least, I think that's the chest area? I feel like you need to be more...concrete with those lines because it can be hard to differentiate between the details and what is what if you're just using colour because I can't really tell if the breasts are too high up or that you need to make the arms longer.

Try posing in front of a mirror, take a photo and you should be able to see whether or not the arms need to be longer. Do not be afraid to pose in front of a mirror and use that for references.

I think her arms need to be a bit longer because the elbows should end around the waist area and it looks to me like they're ending just under the breast area, at least, I think that's the chest area? I feel like you need to be more...concrete with those lines because it can be hard to differentiate between the details and what is what if you're just using colour because I can't really tell if the breasts are too high up or that you need to make the arms longer.

Try posing in front of a mirror, take a photo and you should be able to see whether or not the arms need to be longer. Do not be afraid to pose in front of a mirror and use that for references.

Yeah, sorry for not having the most defined sketch lines :P Her official art is kind of hard to figure out her build, mostly because her cloak/coat seems oversized and doesn't really have any defined body for her if that makes any sense :P .

I think I got the general idea of how the arms should be (granted, I'm shorter/younger than Idenn physically, so it might not be perfect).

tumblr_oa1xwthnzc1uygxybo1_500.png

Yeah, sorry for not having the most defined sketch lines :P Her official art is kind of hard to figure out her build, mostly because her cloak/coat seems oversized and doesn't really have any defined body for her if that makes any sense :P .

I think I got the general idea of how the arms should be (granted, I'm shorter/younger than Idenn physically, so it might not be perfect).

tumblr_oa1xwthnzc1uygxybo1_500.png

That looks nice. I've found my body's not ideal for poses either. My left arm is also an inch or so shorter than my right. I'm a bit on the tall side, being all arms and legs, so I'm probably taller than most of the characters I'm trying to draw. I think even I'm not as old as Idenn, though. I'm old, but not quite 1000, yet.

Even with my terrible body asymmetry, I've found that having the elbow right around where the concavity of your waist is narrowest is a good rule of thumb, but better artists might have a different opinion. And if your character is lifting her arms up, just do a quick geometry to determine how much shorter from their resting point the arms should be, with the arm and shoulder-to-waist both being sides of an isosceles triangle.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks nice. I've found my body's not ideal for poses either. My left arm is also an inch or so shorter than my right. I'm a bit on the tall side, being all arms and legs, so I'm probably taller than most of the characters I'm trying to draw. I think even I'm not as old as Idenn, though. I'm old, but not quite 1000, yet.

Even with my terrible body asymmetry, I've found that having the elbow right around where the concavity of your waist is narrowest is a good rule of thumb, but better artists might have a different opinion. And if your character is lifting her arms up, just do a quick geometry to determine how much shorter from their resting point the arms should be, with the arm and shoulder-to-waist both being sides of an isosceles triangle.

Thank you, I think it has to do with the way I set up my bases, and I overestimate how big/small a lot of body parts are :P I'll definitely be using that rule of thumb, I tend to spend half my drawing time on poses/proportions :P I'll try to make some edits at some point (if Clip's being nice to me today haha).

tumblr_oaqd62dMdi1uygxybo1_540.png

Aagh I hate lineart so much ;o; I don't know how you magicians do it. I just can't make them go together smoothly ;P

Ahhhh if you're trying to mimic the style of the My Room models, I suggest working with thinner lineart since it's closer to the style imo ;)

Line art isn't easy but it really depends on how you're doing it. If you're slowly sketching in the lines, stroke after stroke, it's going to take awhile and your lines might come out a bit uneven and not very smooth. Dragging your stylus pen will also make your line art look a bit messy.

I flick my wrist for when I do the line art or in other words, it helps to make quick strokes for clean lines.

Edited by carefreejules

tumblr_oaqd62dMdi1uygxybo1_540.png

Aagh I hate lineart so much ;o; I don't know how you magicians do it. I just can't make them go together smoothly ;P

I'm still trying to figure out how to do it. Refer to my art thread to see how much I suck at it.

Ahhhh if you're trying to mimic the style of the My Room models, I suggest working with thinner lineart since it's closer to the style imo ;)

Line art isn't easy but it really depends on how you're doing it. If you're slowly sketching in the lines, stroke after stroke, it's going to take awhile and your lines might come out a bit uneven and not very smooth. Dragging your stylus pen will also make your line art look a bit messy.

I flick my wrist for when I do the line art or in other words, it helps to make quick strokes for clean lines.

Tried flicking and it definitely helped a lot (albeit, still had a few stray lines to clean up, but a big step up!). The thinner lines really helped make it look a lot better too! tumblr_oaqwb5kAsO1uygxybo2_500.png(Pardon the dumb pun: GEEZ LOUISE XD [spoiler=Louise agaaaaaain]tumblr_oaqwb5kAsO1uygxybo1_500.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to do it. Refer to my art thread to see how much I suck at it.

I think your lines are pretty smooth (something almost impossible for me haha), almost done in 1 stroke ;0 Haha, we can figure out lineart together :D

Wow. These are pretty cool.

Thank you!

Edited by Illia

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice to see you drawing again, although I'm drawing a blank on who gives Morgan green hair.

The same one who gives them Manakete ears.

Edited by TrueEm

Feeling ill and tired, but I thought it was male Morgan, so I was looking for green haired daddies.

Hehe, I always have a lot of trouble with Fem!Morgan's hair xP It's has like a curl, but it's also sort of flowey? One day I'll have it down~ I'll have to make her a bit more feminine at some point (Don't hesitate to bug me if I procrastinate :] ).

Another WIP (I'm not the best at finishing what I start...but since it's Nino, I gotta do it :Nino: ) Good unit or not, I love my Ests <3

tumblr_oec4514Ejr1uygxybo1_540.png

Hand will need a bit of tinkering, but I'm working on it :D