In Geneology of the Holy War, how good can Delmud/Delmund be?

Lord Tullus

Simply put, how good is Delmud from Fire Emblem 4 (I know he appears in FE 5 as well) and what is his potential as a unit? What would I need to look for when Pairing Raquesis/Lachesis in the first generation to increase his potential?

Edited by Lord Tullus

As a rule of thumb he'll pretty much always be decent at worst if you pass him down the pursuit ring (or just pair him with someone that has pursuit). I'd say Noish is his best dad provided he gets the pursuit ring, critical is a hilarious skill and Delmud's promoted class has a huge skill cap (and promotion gain) to take advantage of it. Beowulf, Fin and Alec are pretty good too, as is Levin, but he's better used elsewhere.

Just avoid Claude and Holyn for dads, they don't work for him at all.

Edited by General Horace

The main things you want to pass him are either pursuit, or, if you can give him the pursuit ring, a bunch of skills. He's mounted and has minor Hezul so he's going to be pretty decent regardless.

When it comes to skills, characters only pass down their personal skills. Jamke, for example, would pass down Adept because it is a personal skill, but he will NOT pass down pursuit because that is a class skill. That is important to know so you don't pair Raquesis up with him thinking you will get pursuit.

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Other than the pairs suggested by the others users, you could always make him be the son of Azel, which would give him the magic to use the magic swords decently, with Pursuit also passed down by Azel.

But really, he only needs pursuit to be a decent unit.

Delmud is kind of outclassed by Seliph and Ares, as he has no Holy Weapon. Being on a horse and being able to use Swords make him still a great unit, as long as he has a decent weapon and gets enough exp. He is usable, but not really useful in a LTC etc.

I think he can be a decent unit, but whenever I play FE4 he's overshadowed by Seliph and Ares. There's also foot units that have better killing power earlier (Larcei and Ulster, for example).

I gave Delmud the extra Hero Sword that Seliph received from Patty, which made him pretty decent. Seeing as (1) he's mounted, and (2) swords are the best weapon in FE4, Delmud's definitely not a bad unit. As others have said, he's simply outclassed by Seliph and Aless due to Seliph having Sigurd's CritSword and Aless having the Mystletainn.

I had an Alec!Delmud once and while not gamebreaking it was hilarious because he rocked the magic swords really well and he didn't get strength fucked because of his Hezul lineage. Nanna was pretty great too.

Azel/Lachesis is one of very few mixed pairings that work in this game. Even then, i found that his strength was low enough at first that he had to use the hero sword (one advantage of azel as a dad is that he can pass down B swords.) The low skill from this pairing is less of a problem than you might expect, due to his whopping +8 promotion bonus, and the general high accuracy of swords.

One advantage of delmud that has not been mentioned yet is charisma. This is a really useful skill, and it's good to have it on someone who is competent in battle, due to its two tile range. There are only two other charisma users, and nana is the only one that has decent durability. I seem to remember it stacking with itself too, so you can get up to +40 hit and avoid if delmud, celice, and nana are positioned right. Laylea also has charisma, but she is fragile enough that it is significantly harder to take advantage of it (additionaly, the fact that she is an fe4 dancer means that allies tend not to stay next to her for long).

Delmud is awesome. Hezul Blood makes sure his strength is decent even if you actively try to gimp it with someone like Azel, though he really should get a physical dad to make his strength really shine. He can start ORKOing enemies pretty quickly even with something like a Silver Blade if you do that. Just make sure he has Pursuit.

Other than the persuit ring, who passes down persuit? (I believe it is mostly a class skill?)

Alec (also passes down awaerness), Fin (also passes down prayer), Azel, Midayle (also passes down charge), and Beuwolf (also passes down charge) all pass down pursuit. Jamka, holyn, and promoted dew have it as a class skill and don't pass it down. I've tried all of the one who pass it exept for Midayel, and all work well, (although azel!delmud has a slow start, and plays differently). Delmud does not have to wory about inheretence, because you can give their dad the kill on the chapter 3 chagal fight. Chagal drops the silver blade, and the dad can pass it down. Note that luna and sol are hardcoded, so that they can only be passed down to aria's kids, patty, and leen.

Edited by sirmola

I often give him the Silver Blade.

It'll be a waste if he uses the Hero Sword, it overlaps his class skill Continue.

When I do azel, I use the hero sword untill he promotes and gets +8 to skill and continue, then i trade it to someone else (in this case the hero sword is almost as usefull for its 100 hit as it is for its double attack property). For all other pairings, i just start with the silver blade and use that the whole playthrough.

Edited by sirmola

Alec (also passes down awaerness), Fin (also passes down prayer), Azel, Midayle (also passes down charge), and Beuwolf (also passes down charge) all pass down pursuit. Jamka, holyn, and promoted dew have it as a class skill and don't pass it down. I've tried all of the one who pass it exept for Midayel, and all work well, (although azel!delmud has a slow start, and plays differently). Delmud does not have to wory about inheretence, because you can give their dad the kill on the chapter 3 chagal fight. Chagal drops the silver blade, and the dad can pass it down. Note that luna and sol are hardcoded, so that they can only be passed down to aria's kids, patty, and leen.

Noted. Is the silver blade really that good? I thought that the weight made it less favorable that other sword weapons.

Noted. Is the silver blade really that good? I thought that the weight made it less favorable that other sword weapons.

20 might is really good (thats is 6 more meight than any other non-blade non-holy sword), and 6 wieght is half or less weight than every lance or axe in the game (exept the slim lance, which ties it). The 60 accuracy is a little low, but delmud's promoted class makes up for it with 15 base skill (the highest possible, and 3 higher than any other mounted class). His 12 base speed also helps wit the weight

His 12 base speed also helps wit the weight

I'm playing through the game again, and I wanted to make some children better. That's part of the reason I started this thread. The Delmud I had before I restarted had 9 base speed. I guess I'll actually promote Beowolf next time :facepalm: .