Is Fire Emblem really screwed up?

Harvey

Is Fire Emblem screwed up?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Is Fire Emblem really screwed?

• Yeah, I lost faith in the series. Its not what I want and I don't like the way they are doing things.
    • No way!

The series is far from screwed. It's doing remarkably well now--enough to get itself a spinoff mobile game next month.

The gameplay, map design, and music in Conquest was top-notch. The story was rubbish (save for some brief moments). At least Conquest tried to do something different, so I'll give it that.

If Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest had a "Game of Thrones" level of story-telling quality, it would have been, in my opinion, the perfect Fire Emblem game.

I am a fan of the older FE's. Unfortunately that era is long gone so we have to just embrace the new whilst cling onto the hope that FE15 can deliver a better plot with more compelling characters.

I'll be honest; I'd like to have a Fire Emblem game without the overused and tired high-fantasy anime art style (I'd have an art style like the one found in Tactics Ogre), but I'd rather take a game with garbage art direction but an amazing story rather than a game with a horrid plot but with amazing character designs.

If it were up to me, I'd have a Rated M Fire Emblem game with a story that would be just as brutal and nail-biting as Game of Thrones. I would have loads of death, no more stock villains, gray morality, political manipulations, assassinations, massacres, and tough choices.

That won't happen, unfortunately. I'd would be thrilled if IS managed to weave a plot that was on the same level as Final Fantasy Tactics's.

Edited by Leif

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The only thing that's really screwed up is your thought process.

Personally thought the latest FE games were fantastic + Both sold way better than all of the previous installments = The franchise could be doomed like Metroid guys!!!!

Just wondering if Fire Emblem will end up like Metroid.......whether its going to remain dormant or if the series will really be an end once and for all.......?

The Nintendo bigwigs seem to consider Fire Emblem a high-value franchise at the moment and have released a report on how much dough it brings in, not only through the games but also associated merchandise.

Why people seem to think the series is dead is beyond me. Evolving in a direction a lot of people might not like, sure, but if anything we'll see more Fire Emblem in the future, not less.

Edited by Thane

Why people seem to think the series is dead is beyond me. Evolving in a direction a lot of people might not like, sure, but if anything we'll see more Fire Emblem in the future, not less.

zombies are still basically dead.

The Nintendo bigwigs seem to consider Fire Emblem a high-value franchise at the moment and have released a report on how much dough it brings in, not only through the games but also associated merchandise.

That's the thing....I mean before Awakening, Fire Emblem was a niche game series that only did so little and it was simply a small change compared to Advance Wars.

First things did well for Metroid but when Other M showed up, we end up not seeing much of Metroid and after Federation Force, I doubt that Nintendo will consider focusing Metroid as a valuable IP.

The same thing can possibly happen to Fire Emblem. One small game being flopped can damage the overall brand itself.

I just am stuck with this sudden oddness that Fire Emblem is now all of a sudden important to Nintendo unlike Metroid or Golden Sun or even Advance Wars.....

That's the thing....I mean before Awakening, Fire Emblem was a niche game series that only did so little and it was simply a small change compared to Advance Wars.

First things did well for Metroid but when Other M showed up, we end up not seeing much of Metroid and after Federation Force, I doubt that Nintendo will consider focusing Metroid as a valuable IP.

The same thing can possibly happen to Fire Emblem. One small game being flopped can damage the overall brand itself.

I just am stuck with this sudden oddness that Fire Emblem is now all of a sudden important to Nintendo unlike Metroid or Golden Sun or even Advance Wars.....

Well, Fire Emblem has an advantange above Metroid. Fire Emblem actually has fixed studio dedicated to develop the games. Metroid lose R&D1 a decade ago... and Retro Studios isn't exactly the biggest team ever (and have other important projects to work).

You do realize that Other M bombed AND it was a horribly reviewed game? That's not the case at all with Awakening and Fates.

You do realize that Other M bombed AND it was a horribly reviewed game?

False. It has a 79/100 on Metacritic. 1UP.com gave it a B-. Edge and Eurogamer gave it an 8/10. Famitsu gave it a 35/40, GameSpot and IGN both gave it an 8.5/10, GameTrailers an 8.6, GamePro a 4 out of 5, Game Informer a 6.25/10...reviews were generally ranged between "average/decent" and "good." It was also the third-best selling game in Japan in the week it released.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

False. It has a 79/100 on Metacritic. 1UP.com gave it a B-. Edge and Eurogamer gave it an 8/10. Famitsu gave it a 35/40, GameSpot and IGN both gave it an 8.5/10, GameTrailers an 8.6, GamePro a 4 out of 5, Game Informer a 6.25/10...reviews were generally ranged between "average/decent" and "good." It was also the third-best selling game in Japan in the week it released.

Which is pretty bad by Metroid standards. Before Other M, the lowest rated mainline Metroid was Zero Mission at 89.

Third-best selling means very little when it's released in a very slow week. The only other new releases that week in Japan were a Bleach game and a CoD. Other M dropped to 5th place in its second week and then it was off the Top 20 charts by week 3.

Which is pretty bad by Metroid standards. Before Other M, the lowest rated mainline Metroid was Zero Mission at 89.

Okay? Bad by Metroid standards must not be bad at all because 79/100 is still pretty darn good! The fact (fact) still stands that Other M was NOT "horribly reviewed" as you said, the majority of reviews were actually good, as I showed. To say it was "horribly reviewed" is factually an incorrect statement.

Third-best selling means very little when it's released in a very slow week. The only other new releases that week in Japan were a Bleach game and a CoD. Other M dropped to 5th place in its second week and then it was off the Top 20 charts by week 3.

For comparison's sake, Prime 2 was only ninth-best in its opening week. And for lifetime sales, Other M's haven't been much different than the average Metroid game in Japan. It didn't "bomb."

You do realize that Other M bombed AND it was a horribly reviewed game? That's not the case at all with Awakening and Fates.

I think he's talking about a future game that would bombed so hard that it would kills Fire Emblem (or at least force another "Try to do everything we have dreamed with a new air" game like Awakening)

Edited by Troykv

if they had 2016's technological capabilities in 1990 I bet the first Fire Emblem would be just as fanservicey as it is now

It would... But the gameplay design would still have Kaga.

if they had 2016's technological capabilities in 1990 I bet the first Fire Emblem would be just as fanservicey as it is now

Not really. Fire Emblem of today doesn't do anything that couldn't have been done on the N64 (which was released just six years after 1990)*.

*I'd say the SNES but that had stricter space limitations, so it most likely couldn't fit all of the dialogue (also graphical limitations for the fanservice).

I've been thinking. Fates came out almost 8 months ago. It's wayyyyyyyy too early to be concerned that the series is dead.

If the franchise has sold around 30 million units like say Kirby, I'd least worry about this issue. The problem is that its not and 2 million isn't that big at all when you compare the main IPs that Nintendo always makes often.

That's the problem with Metroid and Star Fox. Even if they had great games, they still can't make a huge sale unlike say Zelda, Super Mario and Pokemon..... who knows when we'll see another Star Fox and Metroid game.....

Look at Advance Wars and Golden Sun.....not one new game from these IPs have showed up since cause they sold really low compared to even Fire Emblem.

This is why I'm freaked out of that FE mobile game. There's no way in chance that FE can do over 20 million downloads unlike Super Mario Run which just did......

I don't think Nintendo is expecting 20 million out of any FE game. You're seriously freaking out over nothing.

Edited by Jave

I don't think Nintendo is expecting 20 million out of any FE game. You're seriously freaking out over nothing.

If they aren't expecting it, then why is it that they can't make FE games on consoles? And yeah I get that cost wise, FE is doing better on handhelds but still. Or even better, if they don't expect Metroid to sell well as Zelda and all, why leave it dormant?

Further more, Advance Wars is on par with FE so why is that more dormant than FE?