Why was Layla given such a unique design?

IceBrand

You could easily say the same thing about the design of so many of the generic units. It is just how Kozaki draws. As for her story role, you can probably once again blame the writers biting off more than they can chew, trying to create new characters and subplots where they are not required.

I assumed that the name is a reference to leen's substitute in fe4, who has essentially the same name in english (I have no idea what they sound like in japanese, but they don't appear to have similar spellings. The fe4 laylea is:レイリア, While the fates Layla is: ララ someone who can actualy read japanese will have to help me out on this one) , but i don't know why she has a unique sprite (It looks nothing like the FE4 laylea, but this is a game that attempts to make generics look non-generic, so that probably why. It's also possible that this would have been the generic dancer sprite if any other dancers came up, but they dont.)

Edited by sirmola

Well she's supposed to be a dancer so a villager sprite wouldn't work, and they didn't have a generic Dancer sprite to work with. Imagine that, as if Conquest wasn't tough enough they'd decide to give the enemies Dancers.

Wasn't the point of her to look somewhat like Azura but not quite?

Actually a little upset we barely see her, I'd be interested in knowing more about her.

Edited by cryogeist

Well she's supposed to be a dancer so a villager sprite wouldn't work, and they didn't have a generic Dancer sprite to work with. Imagine that, as if Conquest wasn't tough enough they'd decide to give the enemies Dancers.

They did that in Thracia IIRC, and it was a nightmare.

To be a cutie? No clue. But I thought she looked rather pleasing for being such a short used character.

Imagine that, as if Conquest wasn't tough enough they'd decide to give the enemies Dancers.

Am I a bad person for saying I would have loved that?

I never thought enemy dancers were really a good idea. Outside of it being dumb in general, the AI hasnt utilized them greatly in previous games, and they were just easy kills. Layla seems just like another NPC who seemed to have a bit more importance in the plot like the old lady who looks after Elise in Birthright. If we focused on one cohesive plot then maybe they'd have more time to shine but idk.

She's cute. I bit of a waste of a cute design.

I assumed that the name is a reference to leen's substitute in fe4, who has essentially the same name in english (I have no idea what they sound like in japanese, but they don't appear to have similar spellings. The fe4 laylea is:レイリア, While the fates Layla is: ララ someone who can actualy read japanese will have to help me out on this one) , but i don't know why she has a unique sprite (It looks nothing like the FE4 laylea, but this is a game that attempts to make generics look non-generic, so that probably why. It's also possible that this would have been the generic dancer sprite if any other dancers came up, but they dont.)

Honestly, the first thing I thought of is Lala from To-love-ru.

Moving on, Layla is the closest thing they have to "Lala".

It doesn't feel like a reference to anything.

Maybe she was meant to playable at some point?

For example, I've heard that Nacht and Candance were originally going to be playable units, but ended up as bosses. They even have crit portraits! Maybe it's the same case with Layla?

(I know they are playable with Capture/Kidnap, but I meant playable without the need to capture them)

Edited by Water Mage

Am I the only one who had no idea who this character was and had to look her up?

I never thought enemy dancers were really a good idea. Outside of it being dumb in general, the AI hasnt utilized them greatly in previous games, and they were just easy kills.

Normally I'd agree, but this FE has shown some sign of having some better AI programming at points so it's possible they could have used Dancers effectively. That said they're still largely superfluous for enemy designs because they can just put in an additional strong enemy instead and accomplish largely the same thing. The big advantages dancers have on the player side (versatility, the fact that they essentially focus exp and weapon rank gain on the rest of your army, etc.) don't really translate well to enemies.

Maybe she was meant to playable at some point?

For example, I've heard that Nacht and Candance were originally going to be playable units, but ended up as bosses. They even have crit portraits! Maybe it's the same case with Layla?

(I know they are playable with Capture/Kidnap, but I meant playable without the need to capture them)

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Maybe Azura wasn't supposed to be playable in all the routes or all the time like Ninian/Nils and Layla would have replaced her as an another Songstress/Dancer.

Too bad she doesn't have more moments, she's cute.

Edited by Thunderstar

Does she have unused sprites, like, say human!lilith does? I cant seem to find any in lists of unused content.

Edit: i found her sprites on spriter's resource, and she has no critacle portraits. You would think that she would have had those made if she was supposed to be playable when the the sprites were made.

Edited by sirmola

If Layla was indeed intended to be a playable character, it seems that she didn't get very far (or at least, not as far as Nichol and Candace), since (as far as I know) she doesn't have any data. Maybe she fell victim to the 'only one dancer at a time' rule? It would explain why there aren't enough eligible women for the remaining men to marry if Corrin marries one of them; if Layla was intended to be playable and an eligible 'bachelorette', there would be no one to take her place once she was cut, leaving one of the men alone.

At the very least, it's likely that she was originally going to have a larger role on account of having a unique name/appearance/voice, and maybe her brief appearance was a cute reference to what could have been. Ultimately though, we will never know for certain unless the developers decide to tell us.

(Elise's nanny Cassita also has a unique design, but I don't think people suspect that she was intended to be playable)

Edited by Lightchao42

It'd be nice if a potential Fates artbook delved into her origins a bit more.

By the way, her name is vaguely similar to Lalum from Binding Blade as well (in Japanese, they both share the first two symbols RA RA).