The Absolute Worst Fire Emblem Characters.

I'm not sure who the worst unit in Fates is. I beat Birthright and Conquest on hard in an ironman run with one non-cutscene death on Birthright and no deaths at all on Conquest. I've only just started revelation. I've heard that Odin and the other retainers of the Nohrian princes have astonishingly bad bases for when you get them, but other than that I haven't found any who are outright terrible. Hell, Arthur managed to be pretty damned awesome as a sniper and I never had to put him in any situations where he risked death. Honestly if it weren't for their early-game healing use and their early-game utility getting high-end skills to pass down to children quickly I'd probably say Felicia and Jakob, since their growths are pretty damned terrible considering their bases and the fact that they don't get promotion gains.

However, Subaki was pretty damned bad. His speed growth is amazingly crap for a pegasus knight, and not normally having access to a genuinely tanky class undermines his strengths. Rinkah's pretty lame as well, but her utility as the only person who can give anyone the Oni Savage tree means she makes a pretty good wife or bestie.

Nyx, imo. It takes far too much patience to use her, and in an ironman, she's probably the first to go.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nyx could be considered underwhelming but she's far from terrible. Her main problem are her bases (lacking the ability to double which she absolutely requires to become the glass cannon she's meant to be). However, In my last run I just perma-paired her with Myrmidon!Odin and some early speed tonics (this brings her base to 17). It lines up with getting a good Ophelia as well. Either way, it definitely helped to mitigate her early woes.

Answer is Wendy. There are a number of other units in the series with near-zero redeeming qualities but none have it as bad as Wendy.

Edited by DLuna

Nyx, imo. It takes far too much patience to use her, and in an ironman, she's probably the first to go.

I'd agree, if you were talking specifically about Revelations, but even then, I'd say that either Rinkah or the Nohrian Princes' retainers (especially Odin) are worse off.

Well, you get more BEXP if you clear the map faster and without the BK this map is one hell of a slog. Not just because you would have to take the stairs but also because enemies here benefit from Jarod's leadership stars so your attacks will miss constantly while enemies will always hit. And not only is the Dawn Brigade pretty squishy in general but if we assume that we also deploy Fiona... well, she is still going to be pretty damn squishy while also making everyone else weaker due to all the exp that would have to been feed to her in order to make her able to do as much as scratch anything in this chapter. And it doesn't take long until reinforcements arrive, who are quite a problem without a ledge advantage.

Also, wouldn't you be unable to stop the thieves from taking all the treasure if you take the long way?

Well, it's true that taking the long way might leave me unable to stop the thieves, but as long as I can eventually cut them off and steal everything back, it doesn't matter. On the other hand, taking the ledge route leaves me open to being sniped by enemies that have height advantage, which is no bueno. So to me, the long way is the lesser of two evils. Also, while using the BK might allow me to get more BEXP, I highly doubt that'd make up for wasting exp that the Daeins, who already have it bad enough, desperately need.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• 1 month later...

When it comes to the WORST characters in Fire Emblem, I'd say Camilla takes the award. Fanservice should be in the forms of references to other games and inside jokes. Not the creepiness of Camilla trying so hard to get to the avatar. Oh my goodness, I was so grossed out by her!

That being said, credit where credit is due, she's a VERY good unit who can use dragonveins, so she isn't all bad...

Bath. Or Barth, I forgot his name. I can't stress this enough, he has probably the lowest growth rates for resistance in any Fire Emblem game, and overall a bad knight. Bors is way better, but after using Gilliam in FE8, I don't even use knights anymore.

For looks, probably Camilla. Chick is DD and not afraid to show it off.

Wendy is definitely worse than Barth, but that's not what even stood out the most to me.

Bath. Or Barth, I forgot his name. I can't stress this enough, he has probably the lowest growth rates for resistance in any Fire Emblem game

http://serenesforest.net/dark-dragon-and-sword-of-light/characters/growth-rates/

Bath. Or Barth, I forgot his name. I can't stress this enough, he has probably the lowest growth rates for resistance in any Fire Emblem game, and overall a bad knight. Bors is way better, but after using Gilliam in FE8, I don't even use knights anymore.

For looks, probably Camilla. Chick is DD and not afraid to show it off.

He sucks, but not more than Wendy. Wendy is like bashing your head up against a wall levels of fun.

Wendy is definitely worse than Barth, but that's not what even stood out the most to me.

http://serenesforest.net/dark-dragon-and-sword-of-light/characters/growth-rates/

I saw this thread had new posts, and expected actually good reasoning.

I was disappointed.

FE6: Wendy. Knight movement is always a bad thing but make her bases awful and make her join right before axeland and uve got the perfect recipe for disaster.

FE7: Renault doesnt even exist. So bad.

FE8: Ewan for sure. Joins even later than amelia. I guess he has the more accurate chip of the 2 but amelia has more time to catchup if u want to use her for whatever reason and she can become a cavalier at least.

FE9: Rolf is a level 1 bowlocked unit that joins late and is in a game that is harsher on bows than your usual FE. Shoutouts to Ena.

FE10: i gotta go with fiona. Way too underleveled, super mean maps for cavaliers, little time to catch up and no reason to go through the trouble of training her.

FE11: there are a lot of crappy units. Theres the obvious prepromotes that join late and have awful bases like lorenz. Theres macellan tomas etc. Hard to chose.

FE12: Same as fe11. Shoutouts to radd and samto for joining next to navarre and get massively outclassed. Shoutouts to yubello for the 6 damage "chips".

FE13: Donnel. Awful bases, hard to train and the reward doesnt justify losing your sanity and pulling your hair out.

FE14 BR: Hayato and mozu are very damn awful. Mozu probably is worse by a bit though. At least hayato can chip without eating a heart seal and his innate skills helps him with chipping.

CQ: ive been able to use most people jn the game succesfully so its hard yo choose. odin is damn awful though. Dem donnel tier bases.

Rev: odin duh. Shoutouts to gunter and like 90% of the cast though. Such balance

I'd replace worst by useless:

But here we go:

FE4: Arden

FE5: Shanam

FE6: any knight and locked axe user except for Lot till chapter 8

FE8: If Lagdou and Valni didn't exist, then all the trainees and Marisa.

FE9: none

FE10: Fiona

FE11: about 50% of the cast

FE12: ^

FE13: Ricken

Conquest: Odin

Birthright: none

Revelations: Odin, Elise (because Sakura is a better healer and has better promotion gains)

I saw I posted here already but I'd like to correct a few things here and go a bit more into detail.

• Barth is better than Wendy because of his base level and stats. He'd be pretty decent if lances weren't as bad as they were made in FE6. Sophia is awful too but she can attack from range at least which makes her better than Wendy. Also shoutout to Ward. In HM he'll get destroyed fast with his awful speed base + growth, and axes are shit.
  • Sothe is the worst combat unit in FE9 without discussion but he can make chapter 13 and the desert chapter faster. Rhys is also useless if you have Mist a / o sage with staves. Light magic is pointless in FE9 because darkness doesn't exist. Also with his awful speed growth and high weight of light tomes he can get into double-territory easily. However this game is so easy that no one is really useless.
  • In FE10 hard mode I never saw a point in using Fiona and Lyre. Fiona's base level, stats, availibility and the maps totally screw her. Lyre's only use is to be sent as canon fodder in 3-1. Lethe is bad too but in part 2 she has her uses to tank. But definitely no longrun material.
  • Akaneia: almost 50%... but it's been a while since I played it. Can't really judge right now.
  • FE13: Donnel because he joins with awful bases in a lanceunfriendly map. Ricken is awful too - but same what went to Sophia - he can attack from the range and can do effective damage to the dracos in the chapter he joins.
  • Birthright: Honestly it's similar to FE9 to me. It's an easy game, so I find each character has its uses.
  • Conquest: Odin because of bad bases and wrong growths for his base class.
  • Revelations: about 50%, almost the entire Nohrian cast
  • FE5 is the most balanced game in terms of unit bases and growths in the entire series to me. By giving propriate skills and passing scrolls to the units everyone can become usable.
Edited by Ayama Wirdo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that thinks Fiona is straight doodoo butter. I wanted desperately to like her, but she made me waste valuable time and resources I could have been funneling to a much better character in the DB - who was Aran, by the way. Man was a one-man army, I tell ya what.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that thinks Fiona is straight doodoo butter. I wanted desperately to like her, but she made me waste valuable time and resources I could have been funneling to a much better character in the DB - who was Aran, by the way. Man was a one-man army, I tell ya what.

Yeah, I honestly still think Fiona is the worst by virtue of how many levels you're expected to get with her, how bad she is at base, and how "not special" she is after you put up with all that nonsense as she's still lacking things like a proper A support when most characters can easily have 1. You get like 5 chapters to raise her from a level 9 unit to at least a 10/10/1. Even assuming I raised that little amount of levels to get to third tier that quickly, expecting a person to receive at least 10 levels in 5 chapters is outrageous in and of itself. Add to the fact that she's terrible when you first get her, and how hard it is for her to gain EXP in 3-6 and you have a recipe for disaster. You'll spend more time giving her BEXP to do things rather than actually using her.

Yeah, I honestly still think Fiona is the worst by virtue of how many levels you're expected to get with her, how bad she is at base, and how "not special" she is after you put up with all that nonsense as she's still lacking things like a proper A support when most characters can easily have 1. You get like 5 chapters to raise her from a level 9 unit to at least a 10/10/1. Even assuming I raised that little amount of levels to get to third tier that quickly, expecting a person to receive at least 10 levels in 5 chapters is outrageous in and of itself. Add to the fact that she's terrible when you first get her, and how hard it is for her to gain EXP in 3-6 and you have a recipe for disaster. You'll spend more time giving her BEXP to do things rather than actually using her.

I'd still say that "honour" toes to Lyre, who... well, I'll just say "how in the seven hells am I supposed to work with someone who's a laguz, with all the problems that entails, and worse yet, a cat, which is the worst laguz class in the game, with laughable bases to boot???" and leave it at that.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

11 pages and FE12 Bantu still hasn't been mentioned yet

he is so irredeemably awful nobody remembers him at all

You can give him Dragonstones that give better transformation gains. His growths suck, but that doesn't matter given what dragonstones are able to do to raise stats.

• 1 month later...

After playing Fates on Lunatic for the first time, I'm going to go with Mozu. I'm not saying that previously mentioned units aren't bad, I mean they've earned their place, but I don't like stating the obvious. Yes, Mozu can become one of the best units in the game, and Aptitude is certainly not a bad skill, but what place does she have in the army? In Conquest, she isn't doing you any favors, and the experience you waste on her is better served on other units honestly. In Birthright, EVERYONE can be good because of grinding, so who cares what you use? Other than that, same as Conquest. In Revelations, you have too many units as it is, so what good is it to have to waste time and effort on a weak unit when others are ready to go? Also, her bases are god awful (that's the point), and I remember her struggling to kill the damn faceless in her own chapter. So I ask, why bother?

Yes, Mozu can become one of the best units in the game, and Aptitude is certainly not a bad skill, but what place does she have in the army? In Conquest, she isn't doing you any favors, and the experience you waste on her is better served on other units honestly. In Birthright, EVERYONE can be good because of grinding, so who cares what you use? Other than that, same as Conquest. Also, her bases are god awful (that's the point), and I remember her struggling to kill the damn faceless in her own chapter. So I ask, why bother?

Have you re-classed her to Archer? From both what I heard from other people, and from what I did, that apparently did wonders for her. I did keep Niles due to his utility with magical bows - if that wasn't the case, I would have benched him with only Mozu using the bows. Plus, with opportunities for Attack Stances and such, I didn't find raising her anywhere near as difficult as with, say, Donnel in Awakening. Or is Lunatic Conquest an entirely different game to Hard/Normal?

Edited by henrymidfields

After playing Fates on Lunatic for the first time, I'm going to go with Mozu. I'm not saying that previously mentioned units aren't bad, I mean they've earned their place, but I don't like stating the obvious. Yes, Mozu can become one of the best units in the game, and Aptitude is certainly not a bad skill, but what place does she have in the army? In Conquest, she isn't doing you any favors, and the experience you waste on her is better served on other units honestly. In Birthright, EVERYONE can be good because of grinding, so who cares what you use? Other than that, same as Conquest. In Revelations, you have too many units as it is, so what good is it to have to waste time and effort on a weak unit when others are ready to go? Also, her bases are god awful (that's the point), and I remember her struggling to kill the damn faceless in her own chapter. So I ask, why bother?

You clearly haven't seen Donnel's bases if you think that. Donnel is worse than Mozu in every way outside of luck. And he's in a game where the stat inflation is at some of its worst in the series. Mozu cannot be the worst unit in the series by virtue that Donnel is weaker than she is.

Yeah, no. Once again, she can actually survive her chapter without Dual Guard (Not played Lunatic/Hard, so likely wrong on those), which Donnel struggles to do on NORMAL.

And she at least has the decency to promote from Villager.