Super Robot Wars V Coming in 2017! (Thoughts)

Jaoenkatsu

Earlier this month, Bandai Namco revealed their next two big releases: 'Super Robot Wars OG "The moon dwellers" ' and 'Super Robot Wars V"! What makes these releases so significant is that they will be released with optional english localization! This is huge news for overseas fans like me who have to play the games memorizing Spirit names and reading online story guides. Not to mention, this is the first mainline game to be released since the 4th Super robot wars in 1995! If this thread makes a good discussion, I might make another about the OG series in depth, but right now lets focus on SRW V.

Here is the list of appearing series:

• Invincible Super Man Zambot 3
  • Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Z
  • Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway’s Flash
  • Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: Skull Heart
  • Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: Steel Seven
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer
  • Mobile Suit Gundam UC
  • The Brave Express Might Gaine
  • Martian Successor Nadesico: The Motion Picture – Prince of Darkness
  • Getter Robo Armageddon
  • Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!
  • Shin Mazinger ZERO vs. Great General of Darkness
  • Fullmetal Panic!
  • Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu
  • Fullmetal Panic! The Second Raid
  • Fullmetal Panic! (Original Novel Version)
  • Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
  • Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
  • Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
  • Space Battleship Yamato 2199
  • Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon

It's clear they are going for a more classic SRW feel by having the original UC trio together once again. Looking forward to seeing ZZ Gundam and its Hypermega cannon blast through mooks again.

REALLY excited for Crossbone Gundam's return to the scene. Tobias and Kincade/Seabook haven't had much exposure since Alpha 2. (SD Gundam doesn't count) And hopefully; ZZ + Crossbone might hint to another Gundam series touched by Yuichi Hasegawa: Victory Gundam.

Shin Mazinger Zero looks pretty awesome. I'm gonna give it a chance and see if it can compare to Mazinkaiser SKL.

They are using Getter Armageddon once again; not that I'm complaining. Maybe its the classic fan in me that misses Akira Kamiya's intensity, I haven't discovered anyone with his level of talent yet.

Here's hoping Evangelion gets properly concluded instead of dropping everything like in Z3.

I remember wondering why they didn't bring in a series with a battleship as its icon unit. Pretty sure the Yamato will be the 'Mothership' of this game.

Not too many debut series this time and it looks like they will be just reusing the Z3 engine. I'm not really a big fan of the battle orientation though. The constantly panning camera used to distract me and I felt it was just a trick to create complex motion while using only one sprite motion. SRW Alpha 3 came out in 2005, and it's animations haven't aged at all.

Anyway, What are you're thoughts? Are there any fellow SRW players reading this now? Have I intrigued the interest of some curious soul? Let me know!

I'm gonna guess reviving the SRW Thread was already necroposting?

Anyway... too bad I don't have a PS4, otherwise I'd buy this for sure.

I wonder if we'll see the scene where Noah gives order to execute his own son while they should be both playable.

We won't. Hathaway's Flash is only there to contribute units, not story.

For anyone curious, the following series from the list are only there for units, not story:

• Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway’s Flash
  • Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: Steel Seven
  • Shin Mazinger ZERO vs. Great General of Darkness
  • Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

I remember wondering why they didn't bring in a series with a battleship as its icon unit. Pretty sure the Yamato will be the 'Mothership' of this game.

Maybe. But I see this game having chooseable deployable battleships as well. Actually, I think it's a given, considering how many battleships would be present from the cast list.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Nadesicos flagship is probably more iconic than its aestevalis units, including the black serena. There are gekiganger units tho.

Does anyone have any info about og units in this game? 3 had Masaki etc, right? And did 4 as well?

Does anyone have any info about og units in this game? 3 had Masaki etc, right? And did 4 as well?

I think there's no info about this game's OG characters so far.

4 had the Masoukishin cast, yes, but also it's own branch of OG characters (which in Alpha and OG continuities are known as the PTX Team), and Gilliam Yaeger.

That said, since this game is a stand-alone (the V in the title is an actual V, not the Roman Number 5, for anyone curious), we can expect its OG's will have no relation to anyone from previous games. Maybe.

I wonder if we'll see the scene where Noah gives order to execute his own son while they should be both playable.

Even if Hathaway's flash was part of the story, I doubt the happy-end loving writers would put that scene in. Unless they threw in a sappy event where cross-series characters rescue Mufti and yell some lines about friendship.

MMMMMM ohhh my Evangelion is there again! Good, very good.

Wonder if they're gonna give Lelouch another shot...

It's been unanimously agreed that Eva is a staple in mainline SRW games. Code Geass was pretty cool in z2 and z3, but it might be awhile before they see action again.

Anyway... too bad I don't have a PS4, otherwise I'd buy this for sure.

Do you have a vita? It's pretty cheap, has alot of fun single player titles, and stay relevant for as long as the ps4 is.

Even if Hathaway's flash was part of the story, I doubt the happy-end loving writers would put that scene in. Unless they threw in a sappy event where cross-series characters rescue Mufti and yell some lines about friendship.

It's been unanimously agreed that Eva is a staple in mainline SRW games. Code Geass was pretty cool in z2 and z3, but it might be awhile before they see action again.

Do you have a vita? It's pretty cheap, has alot of fun single player titles, and stay relevant for as long as the ps4 is.

Actually, the writers are known to still allow certain less happier outcomes from time to time. Still, I doubt they'd put Mafty through that if they ever actually use that storyline. Most likely they'd allow him to live by default.

I wouldn't mind Eva appearing more often. But I'd think they could bring back the original back at some point, instead of reusing Rebuild again. Well, as long it doesn't reach Macross Frontier levels of reusage, I think it's no problem yet.

Nope, neither a Vita.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Cross Ange!? What the....! What!? No Valvrave, no Iron Orphan, no Reconquista, no Aldnoah, no Majestic Prince, no Aquarion Logos, no Knight of Sidonia, no Fafner Exodus, no Macross Delta but Cross Ange? What's next? Kantai Collection? Is this supposed to be a joke? Spaceship Yamato? Why dont they add Captain Harlock too for the sake of it?

Edited by Magical CC

Cross Ange!? What the....! What!? No Valvrave, no Iron Orphan, no Reconquista, no Aldnoah, no Majestic Prince, no Aquarion Logos, no Knight of Sidonia, no Fafner Exodus, no Macross Delta but Cross Ange? What's next? Kantai Collection? Is this supposed to be a joke? Spaceship Yamato? Why dont they add Captain Harlock too for the sake of it?

I've read somewhere that a series has to be concluded for about 3 years before it can participate in a SRW title. I haven't watched Cross Ange, but I heard it's directed by the same guy who directed Gundam Seed.

...Kantai Collection would REALLY be pushing it though.

I've read somewhere that a series has to be concluded for about 3 years before it can participate in a SRW title. I haven't watched Cross Ange, but I heard it's directed by the same guy who directed Gundam Seed.

...Kantai Collection would REALLY be pushing it though.

There are a ton of older than 3 years old mech series that are popular and not shameless fanservice trash like Cross Ange. And they have already introduced series that are younger than 3 years before. And no, the one who directed Cross Ange is a different guy. But its producer is indeed the director of Gundam Seed and I will spell it out for you, the only reason why Cross Ange is in this game is because of its producer who highlighted it. And it's home-grown so no need to waste money on something that is better and more expensive. At least, we dont fight real biological dragons in Sidonia. Man, Cross Ange makes Strike Witch seems like a proper candidate for SRW.

What part of Space Yamato is not pushing it compared with Kantai Collection? At least the girls in KC are humanoid ships and fit the "mecha" part even if you considered them as human girls wearing armor suits. I say KC Yamato fits SRW more than the Space Yamato. It's Super Robot War, not Super Sci-fi War! I like Space Yamato but it has nothing to do with this game.

I hate this game already. At least they added the ones from SRW J to the new OG game.

Edited by Magical CC

It's probably experimentation. SRW has done it quite a few times in many things.

It wouldn't be the first time SRW has used series that don't have mechas/robots. We've seen it already with Tekkaman, for example. And this very game has Eva as well.

Anyway, I'd say, let them experiment.

It's probably experimentation. SRW has done it quite a few times in many things.

It wouldn't be the first time SRW has used series that don't have mechas/robots. We've seen it already with Tekkaman, for example. And this very game has Eva as well.

Anyway, I'd say, let them experiment.

What are you even talking about? Tekkaman? Eva? Both of them have mecha genre! Both of them! The Tekkaman and Evas are mech. Space Yamato doesnt have mecha genre! There's no robot, power armor or anything close to that in Space Yamato, okay?

Edited by Magical CC

What are you even talking about? Tekkaman? Eva? Both of them have mecha genre! Both of them! The Tekkaman and Evas are mech. Space Yamato doesnt have mecha genre! There's no robot, power armor or anything close to that in Space Yamato, okay?

But they're not mechas.

Tekkamen are Powered Armor. They're not robots/mecha.

The Evangelions are not robots either. They're more akin to cyborgs. They're mainly organic, but have mechanical components and are clad in armor.

Yes, they may be grouped in the Mecha genre, as Mecha is short for Mechanical, of which both do have that characteristic... but they're not mechas themselves.

So if Super Robot Wars can have non-robots... although true, Yamato is still more removed from the term than Tekkaman or Evangelion. But again, it's most likely experimentation. Besides, if we want to get technical, the series has never been Super Robot Wars, as the games include the Real Robot sub-genre as well. Closest the series has even been a true Super Robot Wars, was with SRW Neo, which didn't had a single Real Robot in its cast lineup. Well, depends on how much you consider G Gundam to be in the sectrum.

In any case, they're experimenting with Yamato. So in my opinion, I'd like to see how that turns out.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

But they're not mechas.

Tekkamen are Powered Armor. They're not robots/mecha.

The Evangelions are not robots either. They're more akin to cyborgs. They're mainly organic, but have mechanical components and are clad in armor.

Yes, they may be grouped in the Mecha genre, as Mecha is short for Mechanical, of which both do have that characteristic... but they're not mechas themselves.

So if Super Robot Wars can have non-robots... although true, Yamato is still more removed from the term than Tekkaman or Evangelion. But again, it's most likely experimentation. Besides, if we want to get technical, the series has never been Super Robot Wars, as the games include the Real Robot sub-genre as well. Closest the series has even been a true Super Robot Wars, was with SRW Neo, which didn't had a single Real Robot in its cast lineup. Well, depends on how much you consider G Gundam to be in the sectrum.

In any case, they're experimenting with Yamato. So in my opinion, I'd like to see how that turns out.

Hold on, you have got the genre "mecha" wrong. Mecha is a robotic machine of all kinds and sizes. The only virtually universal aspect of mecha design is the inclusion of limbs. As long as it has limbs and looks mechanic, it's mecha. For example, MD Geist has mecha and is considered a mech. Apocalypse Zero is mecha anime because the main character uses a power armor.

Eva is mecha, no debate. Zoid is mecha and what are zoids? Beast machines which have their own life, and they are still mecha. Mecha come from all kinds and sizes, so does their bases. There are a ton of mecha run on magic, life force, dream force, imaginary force and some just run because the producer said so. Some are gods, some are beasts, some are demons, some are just figurines. I am surprised that we have to debate if Eva is a mecha or not because you are the first one to deny it. You have not seen some of the weirder mecha shows. I have seen mecha show where people have to be virgin and mecha show were people have to....ugh...like rabbit to shoot out...ugh...and...show domination to enemy mech by...ugh....them.

Edited by Magical CC

Don't misunderstand me.

Evangelions are biological mecha. The word mecha has evolved since its first use, but at the end of the day, it still has more than one meaning. The original Japanese term, which is simply a shortened form for "mechanical", which includes from cars to computers. And the newer one, more internationally used, which is what people refer to actual robots or robotic-like constructs. Evangelion is the former, not the latter.

As such, Evas aren't robots, due to being organic. Therefore, don't follow the mecha definition of robot. But they do follow the mecha definition of mechanical, since they are cyborgs.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Okay, so you agree that Tekkaman and Eva are mech. That's good. And no, the original Japanese term is not the shorterned form of "mechanical". And no, car, computer are not mecha. Neither ship or space ship.

Did my thread start an actually intellectual debate on the meaning of 'mecha' and what qualifies to be generalized under it? I genuinely feel proud.

There are a ton of older than 3 years old mech series that are popular and not shameless fanservice trash like Cross Ange. And they have already introduced series that are younger than 3 years before. And no, the one who directed Cross Ange is a different guy. But its producer is indeed the director of Gundam Seed and I will spell it out for you, the only reason why Cross Ange is in this game is because of its producer who highlighted it. And it's home-grown so no need to waste money on something that is better and more expensive. At least, we dont fight real biological dragons in Sidonia. Man, Cross Ange makes Strike Witch seems like a proper candidate for SRW.

What part of Space Yamato is not pushing it compared with Kantai Collection? At least the girls in KC are humanoid ships and fit the "mecha" part even if you considered them as human girls wearing armor suits. I say KC Yamato fits SRW more than the Space Yamato. It's Super Robot War, not Super Sci-fi War! I like Space Yamato but it has nothing to do with this game.

I hate this game already. At least they added the ones from SRW J to the new OG game.

Whether it has humanoid mechs or tanks, Yamato is a Space Opera, along the same lines as Mobile Suit Gundam. If you look at it from that light then it can find a place to fit in SRW V.

Okay, so you agree that Tekkaman and Eva are mech. That's good. And no, the original Japanese term is not the shorterned form of "mechanical". And no, car, computer are not mecha. Neither ship or space ship.

Yes it is. Search it up. You'll see that the Japanese indeed use Mecha as short for "Mechanical".

Or you want me to link examples? Admittedly, it's likely they all use the same source. But still, that shows you that it is ineed short for Mechanical.

But yeah, in the end, I only state that they're not robots.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Yes it is. Search it up. You'll see that the Japanese indeed use Mecha as short for "Mechanical".

Or you want me to link examples? Admittedly, it's likely they all use the same source. But still, that shows you that it is ineed short for Mechanical.

But yeah, in the end, I only state that they're not robots.

And in the end, they are mecha and they have the right to be in SRW. Space Yamato is not mecha, done.

And in the end, they are mecha and they have the right to be in SRW. Space Yamato is not mecha, done.

You don't have any authority to decide what does or doesn't belong in SRW, done.

Just because showcasing mecha series is the main focus of SRW doesn't mean they have to exclusively feature mecha anime. Considering that numerous SRW games feature battleships, it's not a great leap to feature a battleship from a show that doesn't have mecha. Don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Yeah, SRW is not a static series. It is allowed to experiment, break molds, be creative, just like any other.

Besides, perhaps they can go the extra mile and not have just battleships. Sure, there might not be just much else, but it's not like they can't, say, make a Cosmo Falcon a playable unit. It wouldn't be the first time. SRW is no stranger to units that are basically only advanced aircraft in practice.

The OG games are a good example, with the F-28 Messer and F-32 Schwert units.

Edited by Acacia Sgt