Pokemon: Challenge Cup Tournament: Grand Victor Horace

Jedi

Link to the Bracket: http://sforestsmash.challonge.com/PKMNChallenge

Hey there, you may know me as, That guy who talks about smash way too much, or that prick who has some obnoxious opinions, or just generally, that cool dude.™, regardless of how you may know me or not, I have a tourney for you Pokemon folks.

Link to Pokemon Showdown

You will likely need this if you don't have it, ANYWAYS. Name of the game Challenge Cup! In the Challenge Cup, which you may know of if you're ancient like I am and have played Pokemon Stadium 2, is basically when you get assigned a completely random team, and in Smogons rulings, anything goes, the only clauses in effect are the "no doubles" and with SO SO many pokemon the chances of getting doubles are like insanely low. Smogon has some small things to add here which I will quote.

Smogon Challenge Cup Format

I however am not familiar with if Showdown does the 60-90 lvl thing, I'll have to check.

Composition

Challenge Cup is a format that is entirely luck-of-the-draw and one in which every Pokémon and their ability, moveset, and item are randomized. However, the ability is chosen from the Pokémon's legal abilities, and moves are chosen from the Pokémon's learnset. The lack of Pokémon restrictions means that Pokémon from any tier can be present in your team. You may even get some unreleased Pokémon like Floette-Eternal.

Pokémon levels here range from 60-90 with lower tier Pokémon having higher levels than Pokémon from upper tiers. The Pokémon's moves, EV spread, ability, and nature will be randomly picked, meaning you never know what to expect!

Play Restrictions

Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.

Basic Strategy

To start with the basics, you should first look at the items, abilities, and moves on your Pokémon. You don't want to use Ingrain on your Pokémon only to realize that it's holding a Choice Band. You should also pay close attention to the moves and abilities your Pokémon have because getting a bulky Wonder Guard Pokémon with status and recovery or a Pure Power Pokémon with good coverage means you basically win the game.

With the lack of Evasion Clause, the moves Double Team and Minimize are your best friends. After getting enough evasion boosts you could potentially win matches due to your opponent missing all their moves. This also single-handedly raises the viability of perfect accuracy moves like Aerial Ace. Lastly, remember that the lack of an OHKO Clause added with the difference in levels between Pokémon means that OHKO moves such as Sheer Cold could give you a huge advantage over your opponent. Another thing to note would be the lack of a Sleep Clause: if you're blessed with a good sleep-inducing move, use it often to debilitate your opponent's team.

I'm looking to make this double elimination, best of 3, except for finals which will be best of 5. However I forget if Showdown randomizes your team for every match, because that would be so amusing to have to play that many rounds with entirely different teams, this is up for discussion.

I am looking for 16 victims for this insanity, if you feel like "Yeah Jedi I want to lose to the luck of the draw" or "Yeah Jedi I will totally invoke Joey's luck from Yugioh and win everything" then this is the right tourney for you.

If I get more than 16 I will be extending the amount of people, and well this is an interest check so I'm not sure when it'll start for sure. If you people who compeitive Pokemon often would love to give me good rule ideas, instead of what I am thinking of doing PLEASE speak up.

1. Jedi

2. Riptor

3. CrystalPoke

4. Shin

5. DarkDestr0yer

6. Lord Gaius

7. Tsunami

8. General Horace

9. DavidSW

10. Anacybele

11. JSND

12. Quintessence

13. DodgeDusk

14. Nym

15. Dandragon

16 blah

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done competitive for the last years, and lemme tell you, CC is not a good tier. It gives to every pokémon literally a random movement and random item, meaning that you can find bizarre things like Slowpoke with a Venusaurite and Tackle. Everytime I played it, it gave me stupid movements like Snatch, Sunny Day and things like that. You're better to go with Random Battle, but I'll join anyways.

Edit: Also yeah it gives random teams every match.

Edited by CrystalPoke

I've done competitive for the last years, and lemme tell you, CC is not a good tier. It gives to every pokémon literally a random movement and random item, meaning that you can find bizarre things like Slowpoke with a Venusaurite and Tackle. Everytime I played it, it gave me stupid movements like Snatch, Sunny Day and things like that. You're better to go with Random Battle, but I'll join anyways.

Edit: Also yeah it gives random teams every match.

That's precisely why it was chosen, because it's silly, random and occasionally unfair!

I'm also in, I look forward to outdoing Horace at another tournament!

Tentatively joining depending on when this thing is.

I'm trying to figure that out myself, because I wasn't sure if people would be interested in the first place.

Anything that's luck or rng is good to me! I'm in. I only want 1 Bidoof and 5 Slowpokes!

I don't know a shit about pokeshowdown nor cups nor anything, but I think a guide doesn't hurt.

Also, kind of lame that I can only post on PC and not on mobile since the last maintenance on the site 0/10

Anything that's luck or rng is good to me! I'm in. I only want 1 Bidoof and 5 Slowpokes!

I don't know a shit about pokeshowdown nor cups nor anything, but I think a guide doesn't hurt.

Also, kind of lame that I can only post on PC and not on mobile since the last maintenance on the site 0/10

Well Challenge cup is basically just randomed team from EVERYTHING even your moves are utterly random, so are you in or no :P:

Oh hey i read this during Saturday and wanted to sign in but forgot to log in on SF. Theres still a slot?

Plenty, I'll put you on there.

Well Challenge cup is basically just randomed team from EVERYTHING even your moves are utterly random, so are you in or no :P:

Sure let's give it a shot. Quincompetence coming!

edit: stuff aside, does anybody have issues posting on mobile, for some reason the site doesn't allow me to post and redirects me to the home page

Edited by Quintessence

Sure let's give it a shot. Quincompetence coming!

edit: stuff aside, does anybody have issues posting on mobile, for some reason the site doesn't allow me to post and redirects me to the home page

Kk.

Also I haven't tried posting on mobile since SF got slower.

I don't battle online but maybe I could try this.

I just need to know when it will happens since now I got a part time job now.

Edited by Nym