Censorship Sucks

Ayanami, why in the hell would you buy a JP Wii U when the latest firmware right now can be homebrew hacked to break the region lock?

OP, you know you're not going to be able to get the swimsuit (or any of the) DLC anyway unless you also import some E-Shop cards, right? The E-Shop won't accept payment from international sources.

You must be thinking of the PSN.

JP E-shop takes US credit cards.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ayanami, why in the hell would you buy a JP Wii U when the latest firmware right now can be homebrew hacked to break the region lock?

Can double confirm, as I've bought a few things on the JP eshop with my US card

Didn't they just cover up the characters more and age up some of the characters slightly? I didn't really find any of the cut material that attractive/necessary, so I definitely don't miss it. XD

There's one story boss that had some modified dialogue, but it's not enough for me to denounce the game. Though the modification kind of bites into the story, it's not to the point where it's noticeable (unless you understand spoken Japanese).

While I do prefer gameplay over appearances I do have to say I'm against censorship for the most part. More so because it seems like now in days censorship has gone from being done in response to something all the way to being done to prevent someone from getting their panties in a bunch in the first place. In other words, you can't say or show something because it might piss off a certain (usually small) segment of the population. Not exactly a healthy trend in my book in any medium. Nonetheless, I still do want to get the game just after I get paid again...(damn you steam sales).

Edited by LordTaco42

While I do prefer gameplay over appearances I do have to say I'm against censorship for the most part. More so because it seems like now in days censorship has gone from being done in response to something all the way to being done to prevent someone from getting their panties in a bunch in the first place. In other words, you can't say or show something because it might piss off a certain (usually small) segment of the population. Not exactly a healthy trend in my book in any medium. Nonetheless, I still do want to get the game just after I get paid again...(damn you steam sales).

Nah man, this is absolutely nothing new. Japanese games have been getting localized/censored/whatever your buzzword of choice is ever since video games became a thing. It's just that now because of the internet we're more readily able to identify what is being changed and why it's being changed. There have always been moral guardians out there causing a stink over stuff in video games and I'm pretty sure there always will be.

Nah man, this is absolutely nothing new. Japanese games have been getting localized/censored/whatever your buzzword of choice is ever since video games became a thing. It's just that now because of the internet we're more readily able to identify what is being changed and why it's being changed. There have always been moral guardians out there causing a stink over stuff in video games and I'm pretty sure there always will be.

not to mention older titles had even more changes compared to the stuff in recent titles.

For example in Earthbound in the Magicant level, Ness is completely nude in the original Japanese. That definitely would not have flied over here in NA.

Hell even Paper Mario TTYD got censored with just a regular murder scene. The dead body was removed.

Edit:

Not to mention Japan gets the same flak for their censorships. Resident Evil 4 has no head decapitations and Palutena's pants was changed numerous times to make it less sex appealing in the Japanese version.

Edited by kingddd

Hell even Paper Mario TTYD got censored with just a regular murder scene. The dead body was removed.

Another change in Paper Mario TTYD is that they removed the bunny ears costume from a female Boo and changed Vivian from male to female.

Another change in Paper Mario TTYD is that they removed the bunny ears costume from a female Boo and changed Vivian from male to female.

it's funny how IS's games seems to have the most changes for their games when they get localized. Panel De Pon changed to Tetris attack where it went from magical fairy girls to just Yoshis. Advance Wars' character designs with their outfits being changed frequently. So if anything people who keep saying censorship sucks and isn't supporting any of it and ironically playing the censored localized classics are being just as hypocritical.

it's funny how IS's games seems to have the most changes for their games when they get localized. Panel De Pon changed to Tetris attack where it went from magical fairy girls to just Yoshis. Advance Wars' character designs with their outfits being changed frequently. So if anything people who keep saying censorship sucks and isn't supporting any of it and ironically playing the censored localized classics are being just as hypocritical.

It's even more funny when you realize the reverse is also true as Japan has done its fair share of censorship when localizing western games.

Who here knew that The Jetsons: Invasion of the Planet Pirates on SNES was localized as a completely different game in Japan?

Not sure what was changed, but with a series that deals with serious geopolitical issues like Ace Combat I'm not surprised.

Ace Combat 3's entire interactions with characters, stories, cutscenes, and missions were cut heavily.

Story paths of 52 total missions were cut to 32 linear ones and a plot central character being brainwashed was changed to a haywire AI plane.

There is no semblance of a story in the International version.

So yeah, this stuff for #FE isn't anywhere near as bad as that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Ace Combat 3's entire interactions with characters, stories, cutscenes, and missions were cut heavily.

Story paths of 52 total missions were cut to 32 linear ones and a plot central character being brainwashed was changed to a haywire AI plane.

There is no semblance of a story in the International version.

So yeah, this stuff for #FE isn't anywhere near as bad as that.

Was that in house by Namco, or was the ESRB/PEGI involved? I could understand both, but I'm leaning more to the former, because it fits that Strangereal really didn't get any lore in the West until Ace Combat 4, and then they really started getting into it, except for Advanced and Skies of Incursion.

It is a bit of a catch 22 though. On one hand you may not agree with censorship BUT if you want to play a certain game at all you kinda have no choice (other than not buying it at all). Its even worse given Nintendo's region lockout policy.

I mean I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit of a hypocrite in this regard but in alot of cases you don't really have an option. Sure you could not buy it as a form of not supporting it but it would just screw over the developers of the game in the end I think.

Edited by LordTaco42

wish we could talk about Tokyo Mirage Sessions without everything going back to censorship.

Wish nintendo would stop sinking their localising budget into stupid censorship......

The 90´s are over nintendo. Stop trying to baby us.

Source.

not to mention older titles had even more changes compared to the stuff in recent titles.

For example in Earthbound in the Magicant level, Ness is completely nude in the original Japanese. That definitely would not have flied over here in NA.

Edit:

Not to mention Japan gets the same flak for their censorships. Resident Evil 4 has no head decapitations and Palutena's pants was changed numerous times to make it less sex appealing in the Japanese version.

That's not all that they've took out of the game! I don't know where to begin
See all here...
Some examples...

-Changed the cultists hoods
-The Octopus Eraser is now the Pencil one.
-The main differences between MOTHER 2 and EarthBound are:
Violence was toned down a bit in EarthBound; violent-sounding text was altered and sound effects that might have seemed violent were replaced with other existing sound effects
References to death and dying were removed or written around
All alcohol references were removed or changed to coffee of some sort
Religious references were removed or written around – even the tiniest little things that seemed perfectly fine
Anything that the legal department thought might cause any trouble at all was removed or changed, a few of which include:
The removal of all red crosses in the game, due to issues with the Red Cross organization
The Runaway Five members’ outfits were changed to make them look less like the Blues Brothers
The “Sky Walker” was changed to the “Sky Runner” to avoid the Star Wars reference
Things like “Superman” references were altered to say “super hero” or such instead
Topollo Theater was changed to Topolla Theater, presumably to avoid issues with the real-life Apollo Theater
Anything else that seemed inappropriate was changed, just a few examples are:
The word “Drug” on the various town maps and elsewhere was removed or changed
The Happy Happy cultists’ battle sprites were altered to look less like KKK members
“Threek” was changed to “Threed”, possibly due to “Three-K” being a KKK reference
Ness is nude in Magicant in MOTHER 2, in EarthBound he wears pajamas
Various character names, place names, and other names were altered, sometimes for the better, sometimes for no clear reason at all (see here)
Enemy names were made more verbose and interesting in general (see here)
A number of item names and descriptions were changed (see here)
Cultural references and jokes were either localized or dropped, a few of which include:
The iron octopus statues were changed to giant pencil statues
The kokeshi doll statue was changed to a giant eraser statue
The Beatles, SMAP, APE, and Super Mario references in MOTHER 2’s default names were removed in EarthBound
Historical/culture references like Ooshio Heihachiro were changed to similar American equivalents
Changes were made whenever significant language difference demanded it; for instance, the player-naming screens act slightly differently between the two games
A number of translation issues arose, which is natural given the tremendous size of the game’s script for the time:
A lot of nuances throughout the game’s text were lost or completely changed – very little of this seriously affects the key points of the story, however
There are a few exception to the above, though, including any text dealing with the metaphysical aspects near the end of the game and any text dealing with the “Apple of Enlightenment”, among a handful of other things
It seems like a lot of little things relating to Pokey’s family were slightly altered to make
his home life seem a little less broken
Poems, songs, and such were often completely ignored or overlooked during the translation process
Similarly, many lines that were clear in the Japanese text became ambiguous in EarthBound
A number of genuine translation mistakes exist in EarthBound’s text – most of it is inconsequential to the key points of the game, though
Text with clear gameplay instructions on what to do next were often made less clear in EarthBound’s translation
-In the intro credits, we see that Burglin Park was originally known as Nusutto Park. “Nusutto” is Japanese for “burglar”.
-In EarthBound, the police officer guarding a road block at the beginning of the game says, “We are going for the world record…” when talking about Onett’s claim to fame: putting up roadblocks.
In MOTHER 2, he says, “We’re going for the Guinness record.” This very slight change was probably made to avoid any legal issues, however small they may be. You know how uptight legal department people can be.
-In MOTHER 2, Pokey’s freaking out because Picky’s missing and if their parents find out, he’ll “get spanked 100 times”.
In EarthBound, they wrote around this by just using a vague phrase that still gets the general idea across while avoiding the idea of child abuse/violence. The localizers actually did this “writing-around stuff with vaguer phrases” trick a lot, as we’ll see soon enough.
-After Pokey is punished by his father, if you go talk to him in MOTHER 2, he says, “I was really scolded by my father. Aa, my butt hurts.” But in EarthBound he says, “My dad really got after me. He said I get no dessert for the rest of the decade…”
-In MOTHER 2, Pokey’s dad says they might’ve lent Ness’ family hundreds of trillions of dollars. In EarthBound, he says it was maybe a hundred thousand dollars or so.
-When Lardna freaks out in MOTHER 2, she screams, “Eeeeek! A pesky toilet fly! Die and go to Hell!” In EarthBound, she screams, “Ayaaaeee! I think it’s a dung beetle! I’ll smash your guts out!”
-The signs on the hospitals in Onett are different. The MOTHER 2 hospital has a red cross on it, while the EarthBound version does not.
-Just as the red crosses on the hospitals have been removed, so too have the red crosses on the nurses’ head thingies.
-In MOTHER 2, one of the cops you fight says something like, “Policemen are even stronger than Superman, you know!”
In EarthBound, he says, “Your average policeman is stronger than any super hero!”
-All the red crosses in the game so far have gotten the editing treatment… but the one in Burglin Park is still intact!
-First, in MOTHER 2, Everdred tells Ness he has a secret cabin in Peaceful Rest Valley (actually Grateful Dead Valley) and that he lent it/rented it out. So that cabin Paula is in actually belongs to Everdred. Neat!
Incidentally, in MOTHER 2, it’s more obvious from stuff like this that Everdred’s a pretty shady guy. In EarthBound, he’s clearly not a “good” guy, but he seems almost kind of happy-go-lucky. But in the Japanese version, the feeling that he REALLY IS connected to kidnappings, murders, robberies, etc. is more palpable.
-Next, the localizers did some more dancing around death and dying and murder and stuff. In MOTHER 2, Everdred says, “She may’ve been killed already, so hurry and go there.” To avoid the reference to killing, the localizers had him say, “You know, she might be gone already. You’d better hurry.” Even though He worked together with Porky/Pokey to kidnap her to make her a priestess of the Blue cult club.
-Peaceful Rest Valley, as it’s known in EarthBound, is called Grateful Dead Valley in MOTHER 2. The change was made to avoid getting in legal trouble with these folks.
-In EarthBound, when you first meet Paula trapped in the mountain cabin, she says, “If you didn’t come, I would have had to try to bust out of here.”
In MOTHER 2, she doesn’t say that at all. She says something like, “If you hadn’t come, I… would have started crying.”
From my perspective as a translator, I’m almost nearly certain a rushed translator accidentally read “nakidasu” (to start crying) as “nigedasu” (to break free, to break loose, make a break for freedom) here.
Showing that Paula is a really nice girl even to her enemies.
-In EarthBound, after you beat Carpainter, rescue Paula, and return to Twoson, this guy says, “I heard that you, Paula, beat up the kidnapper. You’re my favorite!”
In MOTHER 2, the guy says, “Paula! I heard you kicked the kidnappers’ balls off! You’re amazing!” Not only that, there’s no mention of “being my favorite” at all. And understandably so. oww oww
Only editing out of her Hong Kongism kind of arts.
-As is pretty obvious by now, the Tonzura Brothers were renamed to the Runaway Five, even if there are always six people playing. This name change is very clear here during their act, but that’s not all. We can see that the localizers edited each character’s clothing. They originally all wore black, but now they wear all sorts of non-matching clothes. Even the keyboardist got changed ever-so-slightly!
It was pretty obvious that the legal department of Nintendo of America demanded the localizers change them to be less like the Blues Brothers. Itoi has even gone on record that the Blues Brothers movie served as some source of inspiration for the game.

Did this with someone from Animal Crossing who was the same way.

-----

Stuff like these should only be bought subbed only. Look at Card Captor Sakura when Tomoyo's characteristics were near useless after they removed her lipstick lesbianism as well as nearly a third of the entire show. :/

Edited by PuffPuff

• 2 weeks later...

OqqDm5.jpg

HEYlXr.jpg

u9ecDL.jpg

pjdsAU.jpg

KpVEJV.jpg

d67UUl.jpg

uRKYHe.jpg

Just got it in the mail today.

Unplayable at the moment though. -.-

Nintendo already killed my hype of it long ago and this is the only way that I can enjoy the game now. It has no English subtitles and I feel that they could have done a better job on it. -.-

Cero B is higher than Jap FE Fates rating when it was a Cero C rating. It'll be cool to see Touma Akagi in swim trunks with brawny shoulders in battle. ^^

Edited by PuffPuff

OqqDm5.jpg

HEYlXr.jpg

u9ecDL.jpg

pjdsAU.jpg

KpVEJV.jpg

d67UUl.jpg

uRKYHe.jpg

Nintendo already killed my hype of it long ago and this is the only way that I can enjoy the game now. It has no English subtitles and I feel that they could have done a better job on it. -.-

Cero B is higher than Jap FE Fates rating when it was a Cero C rating. It'll be cool to see Touma Akagi in swim trunks with brawny shoulders in battle. ^^

>complains about there not being any English subtitles

>...for a Japanese region locked version of the game

I mean, that's the price you pay for buying the JAPANESE version of the game, for the ORIGINAL country that doesn't need English subtitles to begin with...

That's like me buying a Japanese exclusive game from Japan and then complaining that there are no options to play it in English.

The only offensive one AFAIK is the wedding dress.

I also think that the removal of all the grover model aspects from the game helps to weaken the authenticity that TMS is going for in exploring the Japanese entertainment industry. What is also harmed by this change is Chapter 2's scenario, which doesn't make as much sense when compared to the original Japanese version.

Edited by wraith

OqqDm5.jpg

HEYlXr.jpg

u9ecDL.jpg

pjdsAU.jpg

KpVEJV.jpg

d67UUl.jpg

uRKYHe.jpg

.......Were you honestly expecting English subtitles? And if so, then why?

>complains about there not being any English subtitles

>...for a Japanese region locked version of the game

I mean, that's the price you pay for buying the JAPANESE version of the game, for the ORIGINAL country that doesn't need English subtitles to begin with...

That's like me buying a Japanese exclusive game from Japan and then complaining that there are no options to play it in English.

There have been people that complain about that at play-asia, believe it or not.

I assume you guys haven't dealt with an Ayanami thread before.

Edited by shadowofchaos

There have been people that complain about that at play-asia, believe it or not.

I assume you guys haven't dealt with an Ayanami thread before.

This is the first unfortunately

The mind boggles................................