Branching Three-Tiered Class Tree

Corrobin

Who would be interested in a hybrid of RD's 3-tiered promotions and 8/13/14's branching classes? Who has ideas for new classes? How would trainee classes fit in?

I would.

Now, we do have third tier promotions for most "common" classes, like Myrmidons.

The problem would be adding the branching factor. It would be more doable if promotions were shared (like both Knights and Cavaliers promoting to Great Knights). About this one, I would call them Iron Knights, as in TearRing Saga and FE4 Binary, because I feel like Great Knights and Duke Knights were too much of a cool concept to pass up. Here are some ideas:

Myrmidon: promotes to either Swordmaster or Samurai (new class).

Swordmaster: "A swift master of the blade. Specializes in fast blows."

Samurai: "An armored warrior who can use both swords and lances."

Samurai is like a more balanced, armored-type Swordmaster. It can wield both Swords and Lances. Let's say Skills work like in Awakening and Fates.

Myrmidon: Duelist's Blow (Lv. 1, grants Avoid +30 when initiating battle)

Vantage (Lv. 10, always initiates battle when below half HP)

Swordmaster: Falling Rain (Lv. 5, attacks twice when initiating battle)

Sword Mastery (Lv. 15, Str/Mag +5 when equipped with a sword)

Samurai: Thundering Roar (Lv. 5, Weapon Might is doubled when initiating battle)

Warrior's Pride (Lv. 15, Damage +5 when enemy's HP are higher or equal to this unit's, -5 otherwise)

Swordmaster can promote to either a Trueblade or an Hermit.

Trueblade: "Humans as fast as the wind who have mastered the art of the sword."

Hermit: "Lone wolves who live far away from the people to hone their blade skills."

Trueblade Mastery Skill: Astra (Skill% chance of landing 5 attacks at half damage)

Hermit Mastery Skill: Illusory Fox (Permanent Avoid +30 and Dodge +15)

Hm. Good ideas. Have a look at this

new_magic_class_tree_by_darkmatter122.jp

And come up with some more.

Edited by Corrobin

one thing I do like in many other RPGs not FE is a whole lot of class choices, each with their own abilities; a game in particular with that such as above would need a lot of customization though, such as skills and whatnot to make it actually not pointless to have so many classes

I have various third tier classes in my own project to try and make good on that

Edited by Lamia

• 4 weeks later...

How about this

Mage promotes into either Sage (Gains staves) or Mage Knight (Swords and a horse)

Sage promotes into Warlock (S-Rank Tomes) or Arch Sage (S-Rank Staves)

Mage Knight promotes into Mage Fighter (S-Rank Swords) or Dragon Mage (Wyvern, S-rank Tomes)

There's always the problem of balance. One thing I noticed with mage knights (the sword ones) is that they tend to always prefer using magic over swords: since tomes have more range, most enemies have more defense than resistance and mages naturally have higher tome rank than sword after promoting, you need something to justify the use of swords that's more than just "they look cool". For starters, hybrid classes should have more strenght than magic, then you'll have to play with skills.

Mage Skills:

Magic+2 (Level 1)

(Fire, Lightning or Wind) Blessing (Lv.10, add 5 Might to tomes of the element named, character specific)

Sage:

Magic Support (Lv. 5, +1 ally Magic for units in 2 spaces)

Barrier (Lv. 15, Skill% chance to add Resistance to Defence when attacked physically)

Warlock: Tomefaire

Arch Sage: Stavefaire (Healtouch+ 2 extra range to all staves)

Mage Knights:

Mirror (Lv. 5, Counter but for magic)

Tomebreaker (Lv. 15)

Mage Fighter: Spellblade (Increase Might of magic swords)

Dragon Mage: Tactical (+2 damage when enemy cannot counterattack)

Fighter promotes to Warrior (Bows) or Berserker (Crit bonus)

Warrior promotes into Huntsman (S-rank bows) or Landsknecht (S-Rank axes)

Berserker promotes into Brigand (Higher Crit bonus) or Gladiator (Better defenses) (Also, both S-rank Axes)

There's always the problem of balance. One thing I noticed with mage knights (the sword ones) is that they tend to always prefer using magic over swords: since tomes have more range, most enemies have more defense than resistance and mages naturally have higher tome rank than sword after promoting, you need something to justify the use of swords that's more than just "they look cool". For starters, hybrid classes should have more strenght than magic, then you'll have to play with skills.

Or... And feel free to call me insane for this... You could give them a skill called "Imbue Sword" where they basically take the effect of the sword and attack res with it from 1 range. So like... If you have an armor slayer, you can use imbue sword to attack res with the armor slaying bonus. Like, it still uses strength, but it attacks res, I might consider that anyways if my strength isn't like 5 to my 20 magic. Spells generally tend to have lower might anyways, and using a brave weapon to attack res sounds awesome.

Either that, or add magic swords that only they can use.

I gave the Magic Knight skills that make it an effective anti-magic unit with Mirror and Tomebreaker.