Fire Emblem if Release Date in South Korea

knfeif.jpg?width=250

Nintendo Korea just announced that 파이어 엠블렘 if (Fire Emblem if) will be officially released in September 8th, 2016.

Apparently, Hoshido or Nohr version will not be separately released. Both routes are in a single cartridge, and Valla route will be available in e-shop in near future. Its price is 69,000 won which is approximately 60 bucks. So, this is kind of like SE minus Valla and an art book.

Also, New Nintendo 3DS XL "Fire Emblem if Edition" will be released in a same day.

I wonder how Korea is going to do Hoshido. I heard Soul caliber was pretty much forced to replace the Samurai Mitsurugi with a knight because of the poor reputation Samurai have in those parts.

That would be before 1998 when Korea closed its door to Japanese cultures. Since Japanese cultures are open to Korea, Koreans generally do not give damn about Samurais, Ninjas and whatnots. As long as they don't involve Imperial Japan, Koreans tend to not have hatred toward Japanese culture.

Edited by Great Merchant

I wonder how Korea is going to do Hoshido. I heard Soul caliber was pretty much forced to replace the Samurai Mitsurugi with a knight because of the poor reputation Samurai have in those parts.

They'll either deal, or they'll have to deal. It's 2016.

Personally, based on what I know of Korean culture, I think Fates may have been one of the worst first localization decisions of FE for Korea. But whatever.

They probably are going to replace samurais because Koreans are very sensitive to the smallest things. I'm Korean btw so I would know. I feel like nintendo pick the wrong fire emblem game to localize to Korea because Hoshido resembles Japan too much.

They probably are going to replace samurais because Koreans are very sensitive to the smallest things. I'm Korean btw so I would know. I feel like nintendo pick the wrong fire emblem game to localize to Korea because Hoshido resembles Japan too much.

If either Nohr or Mokushu/Fuuma were based on Korea, I'd think you have a point. But a country based on Korea literally does not exist in Fates, so unless Koreans are just offended by the literal existence of anything that closely resembles Japan or the absence of something based on Korea I don't think it's going to be the main issue. And people who actually are that offended at Hoshido's existence probably won't get the game anyway.

What I'm thinking of is more the (implied and actual) incest, and how Korea is a lot more strict on incest, and the ridiculous amount of fanservice in the game. They be all "what is this FE shit"

Funny thing is that Japanese themes are not the main issue that Koreans are concerned about. They are primarily concerned about which version will be localized and distributed. To be honest, Koreans are not too fond about English dubs on Japanese contents, so what they want to know is whether Japanese voices will be used or not. Korean dubs are great, but considering the economic situation of NoK, I seriously doubt Korean dub will happen.

Also, Koreans are also well aware of controversial censorship on this game. So, ideally, Koreans wish to have Japanese voice and version of Fates. Unfortunately, considering that this game got 12 rating (equivalent to T rating), it is highly likely that American version will be used. For voices, I would wager 50/50, since NoK has history of using Japanese and English dubs.

I don't think Koreans would replace samurais in Fates. Maplestory is one of the biggest MMO/RPGs in Korea and two of classes are based off of Japanese cultures. One of those classes is a samurai. Also, Ryoma on the box art is still in his samurai clothing. Changing the class seems highly unlikely.

Keep in mind, generally the older generation of Korea is more sensitive to the events of Japan. Newer generations really don't care. And its the newer generation that would be playing Fates. So having Japanese cultures isn't a problem in the gaming community of Korea.

Probably the only issue would be incest, gay marriages, etc. I wouldn't say I'm 100% sure. I'm Korean but was I raised in the United States. So a lot of American culture is reflected on me. But I am part of a Korean community and they do get tense when it comes to those issues.

Fanservice may or may not be a problem. I personally think it won't but who knows. It really comes down to who Nintendo of Korean is trying the market the game out to.

I don't think Koreans would replace samurais in Fates. Maplestory is one of the biggest MMO/RPGs in Korea and two of classes are based off of Japanese cultures. One of those classes is a samurai. Also, Ryoma on the box art is still in his samurai clothing. Changing the class seems highly unlikely.

Keep in mind, generally the older generation of Korea is more sensitive to the events of Japan. Newer generations really don't care. And its the newer generation that would be playing Fates. So having Japanese cultures isn't a problem in the gaming community of Korea.

Probably the only issue would be incest, gay marriages, etc. I wouldn't say I'm 100% sure. I'm Korean but was I raised in the United States. So a lot of American culture is reflected on me. But I am part of a Korean community and they do get tense when it comes to those issues.

Fanservice may or may not be a problem. I personally think it won't but who knows. It really comes down to who Nintendo of Korean is trying the market the game out to.

I don't think they are changing the class as a whole. I should have clarified, but what I meant was replacing the class name. Maybe something into sword fighters or back to myrmidons. Yes, I do know that the older generation of Korea is more sensitive to the events of Japan, but if you think about it, the older generation will buy the game for their children. For example, my parents wouldn't let me buy some games just because there is too much of a resemblance of japanese culture. Maybe the reception of the newer generation might be good, but the reception of the older generation will be bad especially how they included incest, gay marriage. Also, the difference between Maplestory and Fire emblem is that Fire emblem is a japanese game (yes koreans are that racist). Also, there isn't that much japanese culture in Maplestory; on the other hand, Fates has a whole country that resembles japan. If I was nintendo, I would try to either try to make changes to the game so it can appeal to koreans more or just wait until the next fire emblem game.

Also, fan service is not going be an issue; however, I am not so sure about Camila. I think she is too revealing.

I don't think they are changing the class as a whole. I should have clarified, but what I meant was replacing the class name. Maybe something into sword fighters or back to myrmidons. Yes, I do know that the older generation of Korea is more sensitive to the events of Japan, but if you think about it, the older generation will buy the game for their children. For example, my parents wouldn't let me buy some games just because there is too much of a resemblance of japanese culture. Maybe the reception of the newer generation might be good, but the reception of the older generation will be bad especially how they included incest, gay marriage. Also, the difference between Maplestory and Fire emblem is that Fire emblem is a japanese game (yes koreans are that racist). Also, there isn't that much japanese culture in Maplestory; on the other hand, Fates has a whole country that resembles japan. If I was nintendo, I would try to either try to make changes to the game so it can appeal to koreans more or just wait until the next fire emblem game.

Also, fan service is not going be an issue; however, I am not so sure about Camila. I think she is too revealing.

Fire Emblem isn't a game for 7 year olds. Fire Emblem target area is higher teens to college students. Around that age, parents usually don't buy their child anything relating to gaming yet the child themselves have to provide for themselves.

I'm sure Nintendo of Korea does still the same risks as we do. But keep in mind, the only reason why the Fire Emblem series was brought to Korea was because Koreans sent messages/letters to the Nintendo of Korea requesting to bring Fire Emblem over. Seeing that, the request amount was probably high enough for Nintendo of Korea to allow it. Also, those who were request most likely understands Fire Emblem comes from Japan so there will be some influences. There probably will be some more censorship and other localizations so it could appeal to more Koreans but not going as far as changing story and areas. But, who really knows what Nintendo of Korea plans to do with Fire Emblem, all we can do is wait for more news and for September 8th.

At the end of the day though, I glad that Fire Emblem is being released to Korea. Whether or not Fire Emblem is enjoyed/welcomed in Korea, its nice to see a once-dying franchise being revived and spread to even more countries.

Funny thing is that Japanese themes are not the main issue that Koreans are concerned about. They are primarily concerned about which version will be localized and distributed. To be honest, Koreans are not too fond about English dubs on Japanese contents, so what they want to know is whether Japanese voices will be used or not. Korean dubs are great, but considering the economic situation of NoK, I seriously doubt Korean dub will happen.

Also, Koreans are also well aware of controversial censorship on this game. So, ideally, Koreans wish to have Japanese voice and version of Fates. Unfortunately, considering that this game got 12 rating (equivalent to T rating), it is highly likely that American version will be used. For voices, I would wager 50/50, since NoK has history of using Japanese and English dubs.

this will be intersting to see how it goes.

I'm going to bet it will be the English dub because of a certain singer with a crystal she pulled out of thin air

once they see how godly Ryoma is, he will change the image of samauri in Korea forever