Why do people hate this game?

Ok here's why I don't like the game again since you are simply demanding me to give a proper reason instead of not accepting my view as an opinion.

2. I don't like its visuals as good looking as the game is. I'm not a fan for these types of games where the visuals feel underwhelming example being etrian oddesy for having short deformed characters instead of something like the FE series.

So there, I've given *proper* reasons on why I don't like it. I'm not gonna reply again after this for real.

Huh?

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is easily one of the best looking games in the FE umbrella relative to the console it's one. This is a far cry from the visual underwhelming games like PoR and Awakening.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. I don't like the mechanics in this game simply because of looking at let's plays alone it feels very complicated and not simplified.

4. The loading times here are long.

The battle system is so easy to figure out it's not even funny. Enemy has this specific weakness use this element and if you have the proper skill you can chain attack it if it's weak against it. That's literally it. Nothing more nothing less. It's the usual basic rock, paper, scissor system like in FE. If you can grasp FE's battle system but not a standard turn based RPG with the same sword beats axes and axe beats lance and lance beats sword than I have no words.

The loading times aren't even long compared to the other RPGs that exist out there. Hell I play Xenoblade X and I load screen the shit out of that game and it's way longer than TMS #FE in general.

If you're going to dislike the game, at least have reasons that aren't completely off-the-mark. It's like saying I dislike Awakening because it introduces Casual Mode. At best, you've misunderstood something-or-other (and maybe you'd be closer to neutral about the game if you truly understood what it was about), and at worst, you're grasping at straws to hold on to some preconceived notion (that's just bad).Ooh, I get to dig up old topics~!Exhibit AExhibit BAnd go read through the rest of this topic.

I remember those posts, back when I was lurker.

It's olay if you dislike the game, but damn, some people are grasping at straws there!

And I don't get why they waste their time hating something when they could be using that time to do something productive?

Why waste your time in this part of the forum, when you hate the game? I never understood people who do that.

Ok here's why I don't like the game again since you are simply demanding me to give a proper reason instead of not accepting my view as an opinion.

1. I don't like the character redesigns done for the FE characters here as its completely jarring to me compared to their original designs.

2. I don't like its visuals as good looking as the game is. I'm not a fan for these types of games where the visuals feel underwhelming example being etrian oddesy for having short deformed characters instead of something like the FE series.

3. I don't like the mechanics in this game simply because of looking at let's plays alone it feels very complicated and not simplified.

4. The loading times here are long.

5. While I can understand that dubbing isn't here, some of the dialogues isn't subbed so another wasted oppurtunity.

6. I've spoiled through the entire story and its just a cliche one and nothing dramatic or special.

So there, I've given *proper* reasons on why I don't like it. I'm not gonna reply again after this for real.

Not sure I should answer since you want to leave it at that but...

1, 2, 4, and 6 are fair, althought I'm not sure I understand what you mean with 2, the comparison with Etrian Odyssey, etc.. the game looks great, so you probably mean the artstyle ? If so, that's fair too I suppose. I don't really agree with all of these points but I can see why you can think that.

For 3, as others said before, it may look complicated, but it's not. If you can play and understand what happens in FE or in Pokemon, you can for #FE too, really.

For 5, almost everything is, only battle banter isn't (and some radio ads at Shibuya I think ?), and while it's a legitimate complaint, it's mostly the usual battle banter with characters saying "I'm counting on you", "Lend me your strength" "Of course"... Still, I hope they don't overlook that for future games.

Awakening is FAR riskier than what Atlus would've ever went for for a few things. Having no feet, including casual mode, having just an average story and while I don't have any issues with it, maps that aren't so complex.

Having no feet? It doesn't look great, but I wouldn't call that risky. Casual mode doesn't hurt the game at all, if anything it helps it.... also FE 12 introduced it, but that game didn't get released outside of Japan. And I don't see how an average story or noncomplex map design is risky.

Wait. Have you actually played the game? And I'm not saying that because you say it looks complex, I'm saying that because you said when you seen of a let's play. If it isn't a game that interests you, then it isn't a game that interests you. But claiming the hate a game you've never played as that absurd. Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

My problem with TMS #FE is that it just feels like a waterdown pasthcie of Persona 4, lacking P4's charisma or character depth which made that game the legend it is today.

Edited by Wraith

I remember those posts, back when I was lurker.

It's olay if you dislike the game, but damn, some people are grasping at straws there!

And I don't get why they waste their time hating something when they could be using that time to do something productive?

Why waste your time in this part of the forum, when you hate the game? I never understood people who do that.

I got a better one, why make such a thread in the first place when games are a subjective matter to begin with?

Why post in it if you don't find any interest in it?

If you have never experienced it, then why are you still here posting about your angst?

super-paper-mario-message-board-e.jpg

You are literally being this.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Why post in it if you don't find any interest in it?

If you have never experienced it, then why are you still here posting about your angst?

super-paper-mario-message-board-e.jpg

You are literally being this.

Damnit, I was about to post that picture!

You beat me to the punch!

I got a better one, why make such a thread in the first place when games are a subjective matter to begin with?

Yes, but I wasn't asking that.

What I asked is why are you wasting your time in a forum about a game you hate?

Wouldn't you rather be in a forum talking about a game you like?

Again, why waste your time here?

Ooh, I get to dig up old topics~!

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

And go read through the rest of this topic.

Looking back I was pretty unnecessarily harsh, but at the same time I think a lot of the reception was also unnecessarily negative. Continuing to state your disappointment or anger is just antithetical to people actually wanting to share their views on the game. Edited by Tryhard

Yeah, I was a bit bitter about the reveal myself, I had to apologize many times over for it haha, and I have completely flipped to the other side, I like what I see in terms of gameplay and the rest of it looks goofy and fun.

My only real issue is all the Akaneia/Ylisse bias, because they're my least favorite continents and I feel like there were far better character that could have been chosen, though I understand why they went with them, considering their popularity. But I'm not about to go hating on the game just because of that. That's just ridiculous.

If I had a Wii U I might pick it up and enjoy the cheese fest, but alas, I can't :<

I really can't take seriously anyone that says this game's battle system is in any way complex.

You're literally telling me that you can't grasp the concept of using a skill to target an opponent's weakness. The entire battle system revolves around that.

It's basically a simplified SMT system + the FE weapon triangle isn't it? Thats what I gathered from the combat I've seen so far, with the cool session combos of course too.

It's basically a simplified SMT system + the FE weapon triangle isn't it? Thats what I gathered from the combat I've seen so far, with the cool session combos of course too.

You have several battle options, but 97% of the time, it's always Skills --> Picking the skill to target the weakness. Or, switching out cast members for their skills and its benefits.

This combat system is in no way shape or form complex. So yes, it's simplified.

You have several battle options, but 97% of the time, it's always Skills --> Picking the skill to target the weakness. Or, switching out cast members for their skills and its benefits.

This combat system is in no way shape or form complex. So yes, it's simplified.

Haha gotcha, yeah it didn't really look complex or convoluted to me when I saw some gameplay.

Haha gotcha, yeah it didn't really look complex or convoluted to me when I saw some gameplay.

I wanna add that while the battle system is fairly simple, there is a strategic depth behind it, in how you deal with enemies (especially bosses). However, the game does encourage you to embrace it and doesn't deter you outright by making it unfair. It can be difficult, yes, but never unfair.

I haven't played SMT, but I can compare it to this. It is like an easier version of Final Fantasy 10 in terms of combat. You know how Wakka is good at dealing with flying enemies and Auron with armored enemies, etc? Basically replace that with the weapon triangle, so switch out one of your teammates to a person who can use lances if they are weak to lances, or an ice user if they are weak to ice, etc

I suppose it has more of a Persona vibe, but its not like the two styles are that drastically different :P:

I'd just rather compare it to something i'm more fond of in this case. Although I find it highly amusing that I'm not at all interested in Persona 4, but this game has my attention.

Edited by Jedi

One doesn't let you recruit AND fuse demons and has a party full of lame meatbags. :<

...But I guess the battle mechanics are the same.

My problem with the TMS #FE is that it just feels like a waterdown pasthcie of Persona 4, lacking P4's charisma or character depth which made that game the legend it is today.

My only real issue is all the Akaneia/Ylisse bias, because they're my least favorite continents and I feel like there were far better character that could have been chosen, though I understand why they went with them, considering their popularity.

The combination of these points ultimately made the game go stale for me really fast. I never played Persona 4, but this game felt like a watered down Persona 3. We have dungeon crawling, but no fuse-able demons, a deep combat engine, or a compelling story to keep me going. The Fire Emblem cameos didn't really do much for me; partially because I wasn't a huge fan of Awakening and haven't played the original, but also partially because the characters didn't really look like the characters they were based on, nor did they particularly behave in any spectacular way that made me go, "This is x and could only be x!" Chrom didn't seem particularly "Chrom" to me (though he was a bit of generic hero anyway.)

I haven't played the game myself and don't plan to (it didn't really appeal to me enough to make me buy it), but I have watched a LP, so I think I can see where some harsh feelings come from.

Aside from the horribly misleading teaser they first released, there is all the Akaneia bias. For a majority of us, we really don't have a nostalgia boner for that continent compared to Japan considering we only got two games from that continent (and only one was generally considered good) so the characters probably didn't matter for a majority of fans besides the few from Awakening. Even then, the FE elements felt almost... inconsequential. You could easily replace every single FE element with something else and nothing about the game would feel off in any way. And those two references to Tellius don't make up for any of it.

In addition, from what I could tell, the gameplay and story are a far cry from what fans of the two original series wanted. The gameplay didn't really have the depth or features that fans wanted and while FE stories are never that great, I can see the story of TMS#FE being horrendously stupid to fans of SMT.

But that doesn't mean I feel the game deserves the hate though. While the battle system does look simple and repetitive, I did see how I could enjoy just the pure, er, "Japanese" eccentricity that was just oozing out of everything. And ignoring the Opera of Light, most of the songs in-game are absolutely amazing and a joy to listen to, and this is coming from someone who doesn't care for J-Pop. I guess that might not appeal to everyone though, so add that on to the gigantic list of reasons why people don't like this game...

One doesn't let you recruit AND fuse demons and has a party full of lame meatbags.

While demons aren't in the game. They did manage to sneak in negotiations with mirages that play out exactly like demon negotiations from other SMT games. You can't recruit them sadly but they can give you fusion materials.