Why do people hate this game?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've put a good 70 hours into the game and nearing towards the end, but not yet quite close. It's mostly a Shin Megami Tensei game, but with Fire Emblem elements added to it, as well as characters borrowed from Awakening and Shadow Dragon. Once you reach a certain point in the game, you understand why other characters from different Fire Emblem games weren't chosen. Awakening and Shadow Dragon don't share the same timeline, but do exist in the same world and realm (Ylisse being the future Archanea). And so, for story purposes, it was limited down to characters from those two games.

It's understandable why folks are so outraged by the game. It's not what any of us expected, especially since the teaser was highly misleading. BUT... I find Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE really addicting. Although the J-Pop is a bit cringey, I have to say, this game is very fun. It's a weird and wacky concept, but still pretty enjoyable and unique nonetheless.

I would argue that this is more of a SMT game than an FE game. The only reason that the FE characters somehow manage to exist here is simply because some of the characters in FE are also suitable in SMT due to their personalities like Tharja.

While I haven't played the game and I can't get it since I can't get the Wii U(and that its too late for me to get one anyways) I can say that this game looks more of a SMT game than it is of a FE game. Because SMT games are a bit complex and have that hard difficulty unlike FE which now has casual mode and overshadows SMT.

To be honest, I simply hate its existence because it has absolutely nothing to do with FE at all except the FE characters. Even the mechanics that are loosely based on FE can also apply to SMT because again, SMT is a lot more complex than FE. And it doesn't even have that waifu mechanic that FE has been oddly known for.

Another reason why I hate it is that Atlus purposefully made it as a niche game that can't even outsell Path of Radiance or even Radiant Dawn to that matter. How is this a problem? Because it hurts the FE brand more than it hurts the SMT brand because now I'm a bit paranoid that Nintendo will not see FE as a major IP if these kind of moves are repeated over and over again because of they can't expand their IPs, then the IP is better off dead. I mean that's what happened to Chibi-Robo in the first place.

Even the game's setting looks more like SMT.

I haven't gotten into SMT but I looked at various footages and well...it certainly looked complex to me atleast.

I'm picturing Atlus reaction to the poor sales of the game and they're probably saying "You know what? Screw it, let's never make games based on Nintendo characters again!" Because the game didn't do well.

But that's just me and I know I'm the minority over here so why bother. After all, the game itself looks solid enough....just fails on the marketing aspect and giving the false image that its an FE spinoff.

The reason why you're a minority is because everyone else that has a huge problem with the game has left. Not a bad thing, IMO, since hanging around a message board dedicated to something you don't like is pretty pointless.

In terms of appearance, I'd say this pulls much closer to Persona. The random colored silhouettes are present, and the color scheme is a lot more vibrant than SMT (or at least IV, the only one I've played). The story itself doesn't ask any deep questions, nor does it contain any of the mindfuck that was present in SMT IV (and there was a LOT to go around). The music is upbeat, which is exactly what SMT IV wasn't.

For gameplay, it's hard to describe what else comes close. Hitting weaknesses is important in a lot of games (FE/SMT/other unrelated things), but I can't think of a single game that rewards it as highly as TMS does. The weapons upgrade system is pretty generic, though it feels more like Fates than anything. I still can't figure out what drives level gains. The dungeon traversal reminds me of a Tales game, without the box puzzles. Other than the staggered max item system, skill/item names, and

bartering in the arena, which was one of my least favorite things in SMT IV

it doesn't feel like SMT at all. Not that I mind, because while SMT had some really nice things, it was a little too dark for my tastes.

I'm glad this is a niche game, because it means that Atlus is free to take more risks in the future. Changing things will always upset people (see: Phoenix Mode), but I'm all for trying out new things. . .as long as they're sane.

I get that this isn't your game - that's fine. But some of your logic completely escapes me.

The reason why you're a minority is because everyone else that has a huge problem with the game has left. Not a bad thing, IMO, since hanging around a message board dedicated to something you don't like is pretty pointless.

In terms of appearance, I'd say this pulls much closer to Persona. The random colored silhouettes are present, and the color scheme is a lot more vibrant than SMT (or at least IV, the only one I've played). The story itself doesn't ask any deep questions, nor does it contain any of the mindfuck that was present in SMT IV (and there was a LOT to go around). The music is upbeat, which is exactly what SMT IV wasn't.

For gameplay, it's hard to describe what else comes close. Hitting weaknesses is important in a lot of games (FE/SMT/other unrelated things), but I can't think of a single game that rewards it as highly as TMS does. The weapons upgrade system is pretty generic, though it feels more like Fates than anything. I still can't figure out what drives level gains. The dungeon traversal reminds me of a Tales game, without the box puzzles. Other than the staggered max item system, skill/item names, and

bartering in the arena, which was one of my least favorite things in SMT IV

it doesn't feel like SMT at all. Not that I mind, because while SMT had some really nice things, it was a little too dark for my tastes.

I'm glad this is a niche game, because it means that Atlus is free to take more risks in the future. Changing things will always upset people (see: Phoenix Mode), but I'm all for trying out new things. . .as long as they're sane.

I get that this isn't your game - that's fine. But some of your logic completely escapes me.

Atlus hasn't taken much of risk honestly. Sure, they made improvements here and there but unlike Nintendo, they aren't that risky.

Ok so it looks like Persona but that series game is still a spin off of SMT so you might as well call it SMT despite the difference.

It may play differently than an SMT game but I still don't get any FE moments here at all. The problem isn't how different this game is compared to the SMT or FE series. The problem here is that this is taken as an FE game and not as a SMT or Persona game and this means that its suppose to have something related to FE which it barely does.

Again if you like it, that's fine but I don't and I hate its existence again.

It may play differently than an SMT game but I still don't get any FE moments here at all. The problem isn't how different this game is compared to the SMT or FE series. The problem here is that this is taken as an FE game and not as a SMT or Persona game and this means that its suppose to have something related to FE which it barely does.

The thing here is what makes me hard to understand the dislike for the game: The game isn't FE. That's the main (and perhaps even the sole, if we don't count the people not liking the censorship because of the sake of censorship) reason some don't like the game at all. Not criticizing the mechanism to be too hard to understand, or that the characters are bland, or that the narrative is uninspiring. Just that... it's not Fire Emblem.

TMS is by no means a perfect game. The world is sorely lacking, since you can't really roam freely in Tokyo and there are few changes in the environment, so when you have seen it once, it's pretty much like that all the time. Aside from the character side quests, the "normal" sidequests are pretty boring, ranging from "Defeat this Mirage" to "Collect this thing" without really expanding on the world (of pop idols and/or Tokyo).

I fear some have been too expectant and hyped from the first teaser (which was just 3 months into development of the game) but that was just one TEASER. All the subsequent trailers showed off how the world would be i.e. FE-inspired but not FE. Nowhere in the title, both Japanese and English, does it say Fire Emblem: Tokyo Adventures. It's like saying the Super Smash Bros. is supposed to be a Mario game because of Super and Bros.

If there had been genuine criticism of the game, I could understand. Instead, it's either A) It's a FE/SM/Persona wannabe and/or B) "They censored it, now I can't watch teenagers in skimpy bikinis", and from my perspective, both views are quite shallow. There is no room for discussion or persuasion because those that dislike it are determined to hate the game "because".

Atlus hasn't taken much of risk honestly. Sure, they made improvements here and there but unlike Nintendo, they aren't that risky.

Ok so it looks like Persona but that series game is still a spin off of SMT so you might as well call it SMT despite the difference.

They picked up Stella Glow, which was started by a now-defunct company. Their games cater to a lot of different demographics, many of which aren't considered mainstream (like the entirety of Sting's lineup). Neither of these seem like "safe" moves at all.

Spin-offs are their own thing, and to say that Persona is SMT because of a spin-off is like saying Gloria Union is Yggdra Union, despite the fact that the only things they share are the basics of the gameplay system and one running joke. There were people who didn't like TMS because it felt more like Persona than SMT, and to lump the two together feels like a slap to their face.

If you can't figure out how FE is entwined in TMS, I strongly suggest watching a Let's Play of the game. If you're going to dislike the game, at least make sure your reasons are accurate - otherwise, it looks like you're hating the game for the sake of hate, and that's not cool.

The thing here is what makes me hard to understand the dislike for the game: The game isn't FE. That's the main (and perhaps even the sole, if we don't count the people not liking the censorship because of the sake of censorship) reason some don't like the game at all. Not criticizing the mechanism to be too hard to understand, or that the characters are bland, or that the narrative is uninspiring. Just that... it's not Fire Emblem.

TMS is by no means a perfect game. The world is sorely lacking, since you can't really roam freely in Tokyo and there are few changes in the environment, so when you have seen it once, it's pretty much like that all the time. Aside from the character side quests, the "normal" sidequests are pretty boring, ranging from "Defeat this Mirage" to "Collect this thing" without really expanding on the world (of pop idols and/or Tokyo).

I fear some have been too expectant and hyped from the first teaser (which was just 3 months into development of the game) but that was just one TEASER. All the subsequent trailers showed off how the world would be i.e. FE-inspired but not FE. Nowhere in the title, both Japanese and English, does it say Fire Emblem: Tokyo Adventures. It's like saying the Super Smash Bros. is supposed to be a Mario game because of Super and Bros.

If there had been genuine criticism of the game, I could understand. Instead, it's either A) It's a FE/SM/Persona wannabe and/or B) "They censored it, now I can't watch teenagers in skimpy bikinis", and from my perspective, both views are quite shallow. There is no room for discussion or persuasion because those that dislike it are determined to hate the game "because".

If its not an FE game, then why does it have the word FE there to begin with? Why does it have Fire Emblem characters that play a role in this game and why is it that this game seems to not do a crossover between SMT and FE instead of doing what it is now?

Smash is a fighting game so the rosters that come from each game are natural. I do agree that the title can be a bit misleading to some but seeing as how many characters come across each other most of the time ( DK and Mario for example) I don't think that would have made the game any less sense since most of the character rosters are from the Mario universe.

I watched the reviews of this game and from the sounds of it, the mechanics are too difficult to understand and to much of complexity almost to that of FFT if I dare. Since FE is suppose to be less complex, this one feels like a step backwards and just does what it does.

The censor thing is also ranted for Fates as well but its actually reasonable seeing as how many things are removed from the Japanese version. I'm not saying that I want them in the US version as I'm fine with the way Fates is now but I do understand the feeling the others get because well....its part of the game experience.

Also, when was the last time we saw an FE spin off besides this one? I can't seem to picture one at all.

If its not an FE game, then why does it have the word FE there to begin with? Why does it have Fire Emblem characters that play a role in this game and why is it that this game seems to not do a crossover between SMT and FE instead of doing what it is now?

Smash is a fighting game so the rosters that come from each game are natural. I do agree that the title can be a bit misleading to some but seeing as how many characters come across each other most of the time ( DK and Mario for example) I don't think that would have made the game any less sense since most of the character rosters are from the Mario universe.

I watched the reviews of this game and from the sounds of it, the mechanics are too difficult to understand and to much of complexity almost to that of FFT if I dare. Since FE is suppose to be less complex, this one feels like a step backwards and just does what it does.

The censor thing is also ranted for Fates as well but its actually reasonable seeing as how many things are removed from the Japanese version. I'm not saying that I want them in the US version as I'm fine with the way Fates is now but I do understand the feeling the others get because well....its part of the game experience.

Also, when was the last time we saw an FE spin off besides this one? I can't seem to picture one at all.

Because it's FE (and SMT)-inspired, with the inclusion of Mirages based on FE characters and weapons types. But it doesn't have Tactical RPG elements nor does it have supports between bazillions of characters. My belief is that they used the word FE to draw in inclusion of FE fans. How successful it was is debatable. On its whole, the game is its own IP, with no requirement of understanding of the two other series.

And no, most of the character roster is from a universe that is NOT Mario. Strictly, the Mario characters in the SSB4 is Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bower Jr, Dr. Mario and Rosalina. Some might include DK, Diddy and Yoshi but they have their own game series. The rest of the the 58 characters are from games that have no connection at all to the Mario games aside from cameos.

I don't know which game you refer to. While I can say the mechanics are not the easiest, it certainly does not have a steep learning curve. And I don't understand what you mean that FE is supposed to be less complex. It's a Tactical RPG which encourages innovative and strategic thinking and good utilization of your resources. The same can be said for TMS; just remove Tactical.

What. WHAT.

Links to whatever reviews you watched, NOW. Half of the battle system is Literally FE. The only "hard" part is the session skills, which boils down to "add this if you have an empty slot, and try not to put two skills with the same first half in the list". I haven't bothered with any sort of session skill optimization, I'm doing fine, and I'm near endgame.

The complicated bits get added as the game goes on, so the player learns how to utilize existing mechanics before throwing something else in the mix (a la FE7's Lyn Mode on Normal). A review probably won't capture that aspect, but it's important to note.

They picked up Stella Glow, which was started by a now-defunct company. Their games cater to a lot of different demographics, many of which aren't considered mainstream (like the entirety of Sting's lineup). Neither of these seem like "safe" moves at all.

Spin-offs are their own thing, and to say that Persona is SMT because of a spin-off is like saying Gloria Union is Yggdra Union, despite the fact that the only things they share are the basics of the gameplay system and one running joke. There were people who didn't like TMS because it felt more like Persona than SMT, and to lump the two together feels like a slap to their face.

If you can't figure out how FE is entwined in TMS, I strongly suggest watching a Let's Play of the game. If you're going to dislike the game, at least make sure your reasons are accurate - otherwise, it looks like you're hating the game for the sake of hate, and that's not cool.

Atlus is more safe now thanks to SEGA. They were under bankruptcy before they were bought by SEGA. So as long as SEGA isn't suffering a lot because of the losses Atlus caused, then I'd consider that they are playing it safe.

And yes I do agree that spin offs are their own thing. Its just that I wanted something more of FE that's it. I watched footages of the game and it just isn't doing anything to make me like it. I saw the mechanics of the game and while there is something for FE, that doesn't matter as I still can't understand the game mechanics here. Federation Force gotten hate

And I am not a huge fan of the FE redesigns they did for this game as they just lost their charm because of the designs.

If the reasons I've given still aren't adequate and if you see me as hating it because of hate, I don't mind. You enjoy the game the way it is and I've given my reasons why so that's just that. I just don't want FE to be in bad shape again like how it was earlier.

The simple answer is that when the Nintendo Direct trailer came around most people's hype dropped from 10 to 0 faster than you could say "kawaii desu". Hell, I remember myself watching the trailer for this first time, seeing the logo's pop up and the music play and then the zoom in on Generic Anime Idol #564 with the lyrics "kowashi di-" and then I exited out of the tab utterly confused and disinterested in the game.

The longer answer is that when the Teaser came out it gave people a set of rigid expectations. It's SMT x FE, it's used character art from a lot of older Fire Emblems and SMT games so it'd be reasonable to expect a darker, heavier atomsphere. Maybe an alignment systems similar to the SMT games. Weird but it could work.

Then the game goes dark for 2 years while Atlus is getting acquired by SEGA. All the while promising that SMT x FE is still coming.

Then, we get the Nintendo Direct trailer. People see the logos, they're excited and then we got Idolmaster x Persona. The complete tonal shift from what was expected to be a broodier game into what looked to be an amalgamation of every Anime stereotype ever, the lack of visible FE/SMT elements, and the sheer weebness of it all leaves literally everyone who watched the trailer confused. Seriously go take a look at the Nintendo Direct Trailer thread.

Confusion eventually turned into outrage which in itself eventually turned into complete disinterest and many people don't even really remember that the game exists. It's just sort of there. It's why this sub-forum is a ghost town; nobody can be bothered to give a toss about the game anymore really. I only really post here occasionally to talk about how this was literally "How not to market and sell your game 101 jesus fucking christ"

Edited by Soapbar

Because it's FE (and SMT)-inspired, with the inclusion of Mirages based on FE characters and weapons types. But it doesn't have Tactical RPG elements nor does it have supports between bazillions of characters. My belief is that they used the word FE to draw in inclusion of FE fans. How successful it was is debatable. On its whole, the game is its own IP, with no requirement of understanding of the two other series.

And no, most of the character roster is from a universe that is NOT Mario. Strictly, the Mario characters in the SSB4 is Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bower Jr, Dr. Mario and Rosalina. Some might include DK, Diddy and Yoshi but they have their own game series. The rest of the the 58 characters are from games that have no connection at all to the Mario games aside from cameos.

I don't know which game you refer to. While I can say the mechanics are not the easiest, it certainly does not have a steep learning curve. And I don't understand what you mean that FE is supposed to be less complex. It's a Tactical RPG which encourages innovative and strategic thinking and good utilization of your resources. The same can be said for TMS; just remove Tactical.

They do make appearences on other games as well. Kirby appears in one Mario spinoff game and the same goes for Link, Metroid and Star Fox alongside with F-Zero. The point of the Nintendo characters is that Nintendo finds a way to interact their IPs together and Smash is one of them.

Dude, that's not links to whatever you watched. I have a reason for asking for it, which I'll explain once I see whatever you watched.

Also, the entirety of Dept. Heaven happened before the Sega acquisition, and I'm a little miffed that Blaze/Gloria Union was never translated!

I'll say this: Some of the most hateful and player-insulting comments regarding this game I've seen have come from this forum. Pretty much every other site discussing the game is overall enjoying it or discussing it in a more critical way.

It's kinda depressing, really.

Can you quote these comments? I can buy other sites generally enjoying this game more (from what I've seen, they're not really put off by the premise and narrative elements and everyone seems to agree on the gameplay being pretty great) and I know I've seen a lot more skepticism here but I don't remember reading anything hateful and/or player insulting.

Dude, that's not links to whatever you watched. I have a reason for asking for it, which I'll explain once I see whatever you watched.

Also, the entirety of Dept. Heaven happened before the Sega acquisition, and I'm a little miffed that Blaze/Gloria Union was never translated!

I'll say this again. I gave my reasons why I hate it so just please leave it at that. If I hate it for the sake of hating it, how does that stop you from enjoying it? I gave my reasons of hate and I'm not trolling any further than that because even if there are elements of FE there, its still lacking more of those elements. That's it.

As for Atlus....buddy, Atlus was in jeopardy before even developing that game because of their niche market and their lack of other types of genres. They were nearly screwed as soon as they just kept with SMT that's it and they are not even better than Falcom who also makes a niche target. I don't want anything bad to happen to them but if they weren't owned by SEGA, the only way they could survive was to either make other types of genres that were less niche or just get owned that's that.

Why do you think Nintendo, SEGA and many other devs are known better than Atlus? Because before Atlus was owned, those devs made games that weren't that niche at all. Even Fire Emblem can arguably now be known as a global IP ever since Awakening happened. Sure, its not as global as say FFT but it can & will get there in due time.

Making a game niche isn't risky because you are only pleasing the fans that you have obtained. When you want to expand the base even further, you then do something risky because you want more people to play your games because more people means more $, while praying that the old fans are satisfied with what the series is becoming now.

Atlus never once made games that had a global impact nor do they seem to develop any interest in doing so. Simply claiming that risking a lot for a dev that already has a title termed niche isn't risky enough. Awakening is FAR riskier than what Atlus would've ever went for for a few things. Having no feet, including casual mode, having just an average story and while I don't have any issues with it, maps that aren't so complex. Keeping that in mind and the fact that Nintendo threatened them that FE is done if it didn't do well unlike now, who's risky here?

Heck, I can say that instead of Atlus doing their own thing, I'd rather want SEGA to make use of them to make something that Atlus and SEGA can benefit from like making a new Phantasy Star game for example because it easily fits Atlus here.

Atlus is more safe now thanks to SEGA. They were under bankruptcy before they were bought by SEGA. So as long as SEGA isn't suffering a lot because of the losses Atlus caused, then I'd consider that they are playing it safe.

And yes I do agree that spin offs are their own thing. Its just that I wanted something more of FE that's it. I watched footages of the game and it just isn't doing anything to make me like it. I saw the mechanics of the game and while there is something for FE, that doesn't matter as I still can't understand the game mechanics here. Federation Force gotten hate

And I am not a huge fan of the FE redesigns they did for this game as they just lost their charm because of the designs.

If the reasons I've given still aren't adequate and if you see me as hating it because of hate, I don't mind. You enjoy the game the way it is and I've given my reasons why so that's just that. I just don't want FE to be in bad shape again like how it was earlier.

I don't think #FE is the result of Atlus "playing safe", quite the opposite. I'm not sure I understand your obsession with the game not being FE, I see it like complaining about Mario Kart not being a Mario game and being bad for that reason. I see the game as both a SMT and a FE spin-off, something new that stands on its own, just like Persona now.

And the core of the battle system is actually really simple, it may look impressive just from a viewer perspective, but it's mostly about taking advantage of resistances and weaknesses, just like... Pokemon ? It's a simple description, as the combat system of both Pokemon and #FE can actually get more complex and interesting.

The simple answer is that when the Nintendo Direct trailer came around most people's hype dropped from 10 to 0 faster than you could say "kawaii desu". Hell, I remember myself watching the trailer for this first time, seeing the logo's pop up and the music play and then the zoom in on Generic Anime Idol #564 with the lyrics "kowashi di-" and then I exited out of the tab utterly confused and disinterested in the game.

The longer answer is that when the Teaser came out it gave people a set of rigid expectations. It's SMT x FE, it's used character art from a lot of older Fire Emblems and SMT games so it'd be reasonable to expect a darker, heavier atomsphere. Maybe an alignment systems similar to the SMT games. Weird but it could work.

Then the game goes dark for 2 years while Atlus is getting acquired by SEGA. All the while promising that SMT x FE is still coming.

Then, we get the Nintendo Direct trailer. People see the logos, they're excited and then we got Idolmaster x Persona. The complete tonal shift from what was expected to be a broodier game into what looked to be an amalgamation of every Anime stereotype ever, the lack of visible FE/SMT elements, and the sheer weebness of it all leaves literally everyone who watched the trailer confused. Seriously go take a look at the Nintendo Direct Trailer thread.

Confusion eventually turned into outrage which in itself eventually turned into complete disinterest and many people don't even really remember that the game exists. It's just sort of there. It's why this sub-forum is a ghost town; nobody can be bothered to give a toss about the game anymore really. I only really post here occasionally to talk about how this was literally "How not to market and sell your game 101 jesus fucking christ"

If only it turned into disinterest for some people... and I don't think people forgot the game exists, it's just that the game doesn't interest them so they don't pay attention to it, and that's perfectly normal. Also the same reason for why this forum is much quieter too, I don't really understand why you try to come up with other reasons.

Also, I think you can restrain yourself if it's the reason you come here, especially since I don't see what was wrong with the marketing of the game, unless you want to keep bringing up the first reveal of "SMTxFE" at E3.

I'll say this: Some of the most hateful and player-insulting comments regarding this game I've seen have come from this forum. Pretty much every other site discussing the game is overall enjoying it or discussing it in a more critical way.

It's kinda depressing, really.

It's better lately I think, here and in the few places I check on the internet, for example in this very thread, while I don't agree with/understand some of the criticism, the discussion is still calm and polite.

Can you quote these comments? I can buy other sites generally enjoying this game more (from what I've seen, they're not really put off by the premise and narrative elements and everyone seems to agree on the gameplay being pretty great) and I know I've seen a lot more skepticism here but I don't remember reading anything hateful and/or player insulting.

Well, it's definitely not a common occurence, but I can think of two people on this site who reffered to this game as being aimed at the "Lowest common denominator", which is something I do take offense at as someone who played and enjoyed the game. I'm not gonna quote those posts here since they're not on this thread and I assume they've been dealt with, but it is frustrating seeing them here on SF, since stuff like that I don't feel should exist at all.

I don't think #FE is the result of Atlus "playing safe", quite the opposite. I'm not sure I understand your obsession with the game not being FE, I see it like complaining about Mario Kart not being a Mario game and being bad for that reason. I see the game as both a SMT and a FE spin-off, something new that stands on its own, just like Persona now.

And the core of the battle system is actually really simple, it may look impressive just from a viewer perspective, but it's mostly about taking advantage of resistances and weaknesses, just like... Pokemon ? It's a simple description, as the combat system of both Pokemon and #FE can actually get more complex and interesting.

If only it turned into disinterest for some people... and I don't think people forgot the game exists, it's just that the game doesn't interest them so they don't pay attention to it, and that's perfectly normal. Also the same reason for why this forum is much quieter too, I don't really understand why you try to come up with other reasons.

Also, I think you can restrain yourself if it's the reason you come here, especially since I don't see what was wrong with the marketing of the game, unless you want to keep bringing up the first reveal of "SMTxFE" at E3.

It's better lately I think, here and in the few places I check on the internet, for example in this very thread, while I don't agree with/understand some of the criticism, the discussion is still calm and polite.

Again, I just want FE to be as big as Mario so I am a bit hurt that the spin off isn't exactly the way its intended and what not. If it sold better than now, then I'd be pleased for that because I love FE as much as Mario and many other IPs from Nintendo and I just want the best of FE. While this did the best possible spin off for FE, it failed to deliver and that just upsets me.

Again, I just want FE to be as big as Mario so I am a bit hurt that the spin off isn't exactly the way its intended and what not. If it sold better than now, then I'd be pleased for that because I love FE as much as Mario and many other IPs from Nintendo and I just want the best of FE. While this did the best possible spin off for FE, it failed to deliver and that just upsets me.

I don't think #FE will affect the classic FE IP in any way, and while it's bound to not perform well in term of sales, it still received a lot of good reviews and from what I've seen, most people having played the game seem to have enjoyed it. It probably wasn't extremely profitable for Nintendo, if at all (but then again, they sold a fair amount of merchandises, like CDs...), but ultimately I think it's a good addition to the FE IP as a spin-off, and to Nintendo since they lack JRPGs.

Also I don't agree with your argument "Awakening was a risky endeavor", including really well liked mechanics from previous games (mariage and children...) and improving them (the support system and pairing up...), plus adding a new mode oriented towards newcomers isn't really "risky". I can't really see anything but benefits from these additions in Awakening, no real risk.

Atlus are fine doing what they do, same thing for developers like Platinum Games, we need developers like them to keep doing these sorts of games, and they seemed to be satisfied with it too. Also, I'm not really sure about all this, but I thought that Atlus was doing fine but not the previous company that owned them ?

Well, it's definitely not a common occurence, but I can think of two people on this site who reffered to this game as being aimed at the "Lowest common denominator", which is something I do take offense at as someone who played and enjoyed the game. I'm not gonna quote those posts here since they're not on this thread and I assume they've been dealt with, but it is frustrating seeing them here on SF, since stuff like that I don't feel should exist at all.

Actually, I can vaguely remember people saying that as well. I agree w/you that it's pretty offensive; honestly, the game isn't my thing (gameplay looks fantastic and I like the visuals but ugh not a fan of high school settings...might get it if the price drops though) but I can get why people would like it and it's pretty lame to dismiss a game you don't like in such a way.

Edited by Refa

I'll say this again. I gave my reasons why I hate it so just please leave it at that. If I hate it for the sake of hating it, how does that stop you from enjoying it? I gave my reasons of hate and I'm not trolling any further than that because even if there are elements of FE there, its still lacking more of those elements. That's it.

If you're going to dislike the game, at least have reasons that aren't completely off-the-mark. It's like saying I dislike Awakening because it introduces Casual Mode. At best, you've misunderstood something-or-other (and maybe you'd be closer to neutral about the game if you truly understood what it was about), and at worst, you're grasping at straws to hold on to some preconceived notion (that's just bad).

Actually, I can vaguely remember people saying that as well. I agree w/you that it's pretty offensive; honestly, the game isn't my thing (gameplay looks fantastic and I like the visuals but ugh not a fan of high school settings...might get it if the price drops though) but I can get why people would like it and it's pretty lame to dismiss a game you don't like in such a way.

Ooh, I get to dig up old topics~!

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

And go read through the rest of this topic.

Ooh, I get to dig up old topics~!

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

And go read through the rest of this topic.

Skimmed through both. My thoughts are...

1) I had to think about how painful zipper panties would actually be. This is on you!

2) Ana was uh being Ana again and generalized Atlus based on one game, neat.

3) Lots of backlash, but honestly I can understand the initial backlash because I felt similarly at the time but yeah.

4) This post is hilarious out of context. OP in general seems kinda unreasonable (having a negative reaction is one thing but I can't comprehend half of his posts). In general, reactions in this thread seem kinda overblown whereas I could totally get behind the skepticism in the posts in Vincent's thread (...for the most part).

5) I love how they released the trailer on April 1st.

6) Whoa, I made a post! I forgot that I sometimes make posts. It uh wasn't very relevant to my impressions though, whoops.

7) Irsya's rant about P3/P4 was hilarious. Probably not that relevant to #FE now, though.

8) Oh yeah, feplus used to exist. Now he doesn't!

9) Nailed it. Wait drats, I got banned. :<

10) I don't get why people think that FE's and SMT's thematic elements would conflict (especially considering how anime the newer SMT games are, it's basically paralleling the FE series! PEdit Those links have spoilered spoilers...in retrospect, this may not have been worth pointing out).

11) Rehab's avatar is still great.

12) 12 is a cooler number than 11.

If you're going to dislike the game, at least have reasons that aren't completely off-the-mark. It's like saying I dislike Awakening because it introduces Casual Mode. At best, you've misunderstood something-or-other (and maybe you'd be closer to neutral about the game if you truly understood what it was about), and at worst, you're grasping at straws to hold on to some preconceived notion (that's just bad).

Ok here's why I don't like the game again since you are simply demanding me to give a proper reason instead of not accepting my view as an opinion.

1. I don't like the character redesigns done for the FE characters here as its completely jarring to me compared to their original designs.

2. I don't like its visuals as good looking as the game is. I'm not a fan for these types of games where the visuals feel underwhelming example being etrian oddesy for having short deformed characters instead of something like the FE series.

3. I don't like the mechanics in this game simply because of looking at let's plays alone it feels very complicated and not simplified.

4. The loading times here are long.

5. While I can understand that dubbing isn't here, some of the dialogues isn't subbed so another wasted oppurtunity.

6. I've spoiled through the entire story and its just a cliche one and nothing dramatic or special.

So there, I've given *proper* reasons on why I don't like it. I'm not gonna reply again after this for real.

Edited by Harvey

3. I don't like the mechanics in this game simply because of looking at let's plays alone it feels very complicated and not simplified.

This is kind of the reason she's ripping at you.

You're providing some generic statement without being specific or linking to things your statement is based off. If you can get other RPGs, this thing will be a cakewalk.

Hell, you've played FE. Pair up is more complicated.

Your opinion for it being a bad game for this specific reason looks off.

And questioning your opinion talking bad about the game when the basis is questionable is a point of discussion. It's a forum.

Like, you can have that opinion. We accept that.

But we have the right to say your reasons are questionable. Being offended at it is all on you.

Edited by shadowofchaos