Would you like to see a revamp of Gaiden?

Jedi

I personally think Gaiden had tons of neat ideas that could be expanded on in the franchise today, sure we see stuff like Dreadfighter, Witch and such in Fates, and of course the country of Valm in Awakening, but how would you like to see a proper revisit?

Like Gaiden's mechanics, such as shrines, dungeons, towns, its way of branched promotion for villagers etc, being used in either a remake or FE15. I personally think they could do some neat things with the system, however I doubt IS would do it, considering how much they hate taking risks currently.

So discuss! I'd be glad to hear your ideas.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I haven't played much of Gaiden (got kinda bored with the mechanics of the menus...), I'd be up for this! Shame that they skipped it and went right for Mystery of the Emblem instead...

I'd really like to play Gaiden with a friendlier interface, since I already quite like the original game! :)

Do it! Tons of untapped potential, Alm and Celica deserve at least as much attention as Sigurd, Celice and Leif. Lots of recruitable characters who had piddling amounts of dialogue that can be fleshed out into real characters. A world map system that would probably look and function great in current gen.

Not to mention awesome music, obviously awesome since they've reused it in subsequent titles. I would love it if a full sound team reorchestrated Gaiden's soundtrack.

At most for avatars, maybe let us make our own villager, but don't let it shoehorn its way into the main plot.

I'd be happy to see IntSys revisit Gaiden, since it's undeniably aged rather poorly despite having a lot of interesting ideas to set it apart. FE12 has given me reservations on them touching some of the other older games in the series for remake purposes, but Gaiden would benefit a lot from the facelift and as it stands the story content is so light they could effectively rewrite the whole thing and I doubt anyone would notice or particularly care.

Honestly, I feel it'd be a good move. Outside of his Einherjar in Awakening, Alm's basically unheard of by the casual majority. So it'd be a good way to introduce him to the world.

Alternatively, and I'm not saying this would be the best idea, as opposed to one cast out for fun, but has anybody considered remaking the non-localized games as ROM hacks of the GBA titles?

It'd at least be a step forward, though I know it wouldn't be easy.

Glad to see some passing interest!

While I haven't played much of Gaiden (got kinda bored with the mechanics of the menus...), I'd be up for this! Shame that they skipped it and went right for Mystery of the Emblem instead...

Honestly I always saw that partly as familiarity and the fact that FE3 was the best selling FE still at the time. Plus its story is right after 1's

Gaiden is literally my fifth favorite FE so...

I'd be all for it, so long as they don't screw it up like FE12 did to FE3.

Literally my only issues with FE12 is the prologue, Kris and the assassins subplot, I think in terms of difficulty balance FE12 reigns still as one of the better harder games. A fair yet challenging Lunatic. Although thats just my opinion! I do know people have an issue with the character balance (and it is pretty bad in that aspect haha, only 2nd to like Revelation).

I would love it, since IS could actually explore more the potential of Gaiden's unique ideas.
And because I like the game.

I'd kinda like to see how they'd do the dungeon crawling haha, but I doubt that'd stay, considering the tedium.

Honestly, I feel it'd be a good move. Outside of his Einherjar in Awakening, Alm's basically unheard of by the casual majority. So it'd be a good way to introduce him to the world.

Alternatively, and I'm not saying this would be the best idea, as opposed to one cast out for fun, but has anybody considered remaking the non-localized games as ROM hacks of the GBA titles?

It'd at least be a step forward, though I know it wouldn't be easy.

I'm not sure if you could properly transfer Gaiden's ideas to the GBA engine, maybe FEXNA would be a better idea, whenever it gets finished... Unless it got finished without me noticing.

Edited by Jedi

Oh Ive played one of those. It's called fire emblem the sacred stones. But seriously, I think it would be really cool if they took Gaiden's really good ideas, completely remade the maps, balanced everything, flesh out the story more. Just overall polished the game more.

Definitely.

I tried to play Gaiden, but I just couldn't with how clunky it was, so I would love to see it revamped.

A remake of Gaiden is the thing I want the most from FE right now.

Many characters have nonexistant personalities, so Gaiden's cast can basically be sold as a new cast of characters. The gameplay systems of Gaiden are really cool as well. Likewise, a lot of modern FE elements like My Castle would fit perfectly for Gaiden. It would have to be a physical location on the map instead of an Outrealm though.

I'd play a version of FE2 with the UI improvements recent FE games have!

...So long as they don't completely change the game into a hail the avatar and retcon everything Alm and Celica did.

I'd play a version of FE2 with the UI improvements recent FE games have!

...So long as they don't completely change the game into a hail the avatar and retcon everything Alm and Celica did.

Alm and Celica had no actual accomplishments anyway. They meander about and take a whole of one country combined. Celica's story is more about traveling than anything else.

But this is an example of how if you hate Avatars a lot, you don't even see that they physically cannot be inserted into Gaiden. Alm and Celica are separated for the entire game until the very last chapter. Unless there were two avatars, one for both of Alm and Celica, the fear of having an avatar in a Gaiden remake is irrational.

Alm and Celica had no actual accomplishments anyway. They meander about and take a whole of one country combined. Celica's story is more about traveling than anything else.

But this is an example of how if you hate Avatars a lot, you don't even see that they physically cannot be inserted into Gaiden. Alm and Celica are separated for the entire game until the very last chapter. Unless there were two avatars, one for both of Alm and Celica, the fear of having an avatar in a Gaiden remake is irrational.

I wouldn't put it past IS, even with Gaiden's two army mechanic. It was shoehorned into FE12, for all we know the avatar if included will only travel with one lord (probably Alm).

Alm literally kills a maybe-god thing and does take Rigel, I'm worried that if Gaiden gets remade Alm and Celica would get quietly shoved aside in favor of hailing the Avatar.

Kris did more harm than good in FE12, just saying that, avatars in preexisting FE material is a bad idea unless its an FE7 remake.

Kris did more harm than good in FE12, just saying that, avatars in preexisting FE material is a bad idea unless its an FE7 remake.

Yes, but I'm saying there's no way it could feasibly happen short of having one avatar who can magically warp between Shrines, at which case the entire plot is messed up.

And even if there was an Avatar, the entire cast of characters is already going to be rewritten and redesigned. Kris was bad in the main plot, but Kris' supports existed to flesh out characters who had never been particularly fleshed out before.

Here's an idea, have the non-Avatar characters be fleshed out by talking to each other!It's not like that's what IS did in FE6-9!

You do realize that Kris' entire point was to be an empty brick for the others to bounce off of, right? Characters like Malice don't even have connections to other characters, so the Avatar is the accessible one for the lesser Archanea Saga/Shadow Dragon characters.

I also find your insinuation that FE6-9 had better supports than 13 and 14 laughable. I'd even say that Genealogy has better supports than those games, and Genealogy has tiny Lover Conversations that only show how much two characters love each other.

You do realize that Kris' entire point was to be an empty brick for the others to bounce off of, right? Characters like Malice don't even have connections to other characters, so the Avatar is the accessible one for the lesser Archanea Saga/Shadow Dragon characters.

I also find your insinuation that FE6-9 had better supports than 13 and 14 laughable. I'd even say that Genealogy has better supports than those games, and Genealogy has tiny Lover Conversations that only show how much two characters love each other.

And yet it's the only game with supports where characters who prior to the games events didn't know each other at all can't find some common ground to talk about without one of them being a shameless Mary Sue?

Latter statement is an opinion, since yes, I prefer the supports in 6/7/8/9 to the ones in 13 (and what I read off this site) of 14's. Opinions differ!