What is more important to you, stats or personality?

What is more important?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Stats or personality?

It's kinda funny that you called Oboro of all people, a walking trope. She's probably one of Fates's least tropey characters. Though in my opinion, there aren't many tropey characters in Fates.

What about Sophia?

Joking aside, it depends for me. I usually use characters based on their personalities, but there are some characters that are simply unusuable, like Wendy and Sophia.

I prefer personality by far, and that's why I hate when some characters are completely unusable. Most FE games aren't bad in this regard: you just have to buff someone with the right weapon or item and they are good.

I like babying units as it's more of a challenge that way than to just use your strongest units all the time. Maybe that's why I love the thief class so much! It's because thief so are usually pretty weak when you get them but train them to assassins and they're awesome! Edited by Dinar87

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a perfect world, wouldn't we all want characters with good stats and good personalities? I do, however, prefer characters with good stats. It's a game where strategies are pretty dependant on stats. I have this weird obsession with always having a wielder of every legendary/S-rank/preference weapon, so classes and which weapon they use are also important. This is really hard in some games which gives you both preference and S-ranks, like Radiant Dawn.

Can't characters be made up of multiple tropes? Idk...any ways, I just hope you guys are right about characters like Oboro. What about the child characters...are they any good?

Most characters are ;):

As for the child characters. Taken as individual characters I find a lot of the kids to be great. Siegbert, Shiro, Forrest, Kiragi, Percy and Midori are all pretty fantastic.

(The exception would be the kids that are clones of Awakening characters, not based on them but outright cloned)

Taken as a whole they are implemented terrible however. Basically its through a hyperbolic time chamber and because the kids are so great I hate them for it. The only way you can explain the kids with dignity is if you consider them non canon characters that will be naturally born and raised once the story ends.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

For me, it's more about appearance/design than stats or personality. I think Tharja's pretty creepy, but y'know, I think she's got a pretty cool design. Even if she gets terrible levels in my game, I'll still use her because I think she looks cool. The same goes for Severa and Selena in Awakening/Fates. I can definitely see what ticks people off about Severa. Like, she's a pretty big biotch in the majority of her C-B supports (from what I've read anyways). But, she has awesome hair so that's a win in my book. In Fates, Selena's mercenary outfit is amazing, and her hair is that perfect shade of red that I like.

If I had to pick out of the two options in the poll, I'd go for personality. Stats are my least concern because I'm a terrible fire emblem player .

Most characters are ;):

As for the child characters. Taken as individual characters I find a lot of the kids to be great. Siegbert, Shiro, Forrest, Kiragi, Percy and Midori are all pretty fantastic.

(The exception would be the kids that are clones of Awakening characters, not based on them but outright cloned)

Taken as a whole they are implemented terrible however. Basically its through a hyperbolic time chamber and because the kids are so great I hate them for it. The only way you can explain the kids with dignity is if you consider them non canon characters that will be naturally born and raised once the story ends.

Oh dear...that doesn't sound too good. And I still find it somewhat creepy how you have children with children like Sakura who are about 12 I think.

Now if only the modern FE games had characters with cool personalities...not just pure fanservice (like Camilla), walking tropes (Oboro the fashion girl) or a mix of both (Charlotte). Still, I haven't played fates yet so I can't fully say the characters are trash. Now awakening on the other hand...*fumes with rage*

​Ok I'm kinda stretching the truth a little implying that all of awakening's characters are bad. I guess Lucina and Robin are ok...at best. I just prefer the older ones more.

I suggest you to look at the support between Niles and Camilla because, while it may not change your opinion about her, It makes you understand why she is so obsessed towards corrin.

Anyway, as for the topic, I prefer stats: You may even be the best character in the universe but if you are a bad unit, then you are automatically benched because I can't have fun with weak units and fun is what I want from a game in the first place.

I suggest you to look at the support between Niles and Camilla because, while it may not change your opinion about her, It makes you understand why she is so obsessed towards corrin.

Anyway, as for the topic, I prefer stats: You may even be the best character in the universe but if you are a bad unit, then you are automatically benched because I can't have fun with weak units and fun is what I want from a game in the first place.

Oh I'm sure there's a reason but, like with Owain's reasoning's, it probably won't make her less annoying. But yeah, I'll look it up.

​EDIT: ok I've seen the support and it's pretty good...though Niles wanting Camilla to beat him was kinda cringe worthy. I haven't played fates yet so I can't say anything for certain but, I've heard terrible things about Camilla, how she just won't shut up about corrin. And I expect, like with Owain, it'll become a nuisance even if the reason is "b-but I feel lonelyz ;,( cuz muh childhood"

Edited by Dinar87

Ever since I'd started, I chose personality over stats. I never cared about stats even when I was suckered into playing sports games, so I definitely wasn't going to start caring when people with personalities were involved!

I do have to say, I agree with this point mostly when I get an interesting character way later in the game. While I did make a few exceptions in PoR, I didn't want to ditch any of the units I had been leveling up beforehand.

Otherwise, though, I did pull out a weaker unit and tried to make he/she work really hard to get that final, EXP-rich hit (It was usually only a disappointment when people like Rolf and Mia were involved, and Lord knows how I tried to make Mist better).

I'm more inclined to say... neither. Aesthetic appeal is generally what wins me over first. That being said, if a character is unusable, that goes out the window (case in point: Sophia).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

A hard question. Though I do end up mostly pairing for stats, I also try and use characters I like personality wise. For example I use Laslow.

I'm only in it for the gameplay, but I did find the storylines of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn compelling enough to follow all the way through attentively.

I guess the responses to the poll explain why I haven't been able to find any discussion on these forums since Fates came out.

Depends:

*When comes to stats, it really has to be either really good or really bad to form an opinion based on gameplay. My hatred for Arthur and Subaki mainly come from gameplay. I only like Sumia and Cordelia because how good they've been for me, gameplay wise.

*When comes to personality, I don't see the appeal in a character like Sumia (she suppose to be quirky but I feel she comes off as mentally challenged) or Cordelia (who's so obsessive for Chrom I find it completely degrading) in Awakening. They have to be really likable like Charlotte in Fates or Libra in Awakening for them I have top priority in my eyes. Personality plays a much bigger role in deciding who should support with who.

Personality, first and foremost. Design is a close second, and stats are third. In general, if there's a character I like in a game who may not be the best stat-wise, I will still try my hardest to make them usable.

I mostly go for stats since if they have good stats, I tend to use them more and I get more attached to them. Personality is still something that I take into account though. If they're absolutely rotten I'll just bench them no matter what.

I used her... once...All I can say on the matter is I'm never doing that again!

I tried as well, since I liked her...

It was hell. What were they thinking?

A hard question. Though I do end up mostly pairing for stats, I also try and use characters I like personality wise. For example I use Laslow.

To be fair, Laslow isn't a bad unit, just a bit slow. And he makes a great rallybot.

I tried as well, since I liked her...

It was hell. What were they thinking?

To be fair, Laslow isn't a bad unit, just a bit slow. And he makes a great rallybot.

Apparently the same thing as when they decided to make Roy's promotion at the end of 21(x)!

But yeah, she's honestly not worth it at all.

I used her... once...

All I can say on the matter is I'm never doing that again!

I tried to use her on my one FE6 playthrough because I thought she was cute. I gave up because there was practically no way I could make it work out.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Give her all the stat rings you have ;)

That was actually what I did, when I used her.

Still think I could have given them to more... plainly viable folks.

Including Wolt.

I tried to use her on my one FE6 playthrough because I thought she was cute. I gave up because there was practically no way I could make it work out.

Yep, it does not help she joins in the game's hardest map, and is required to survive it if you want the true end.

Give her all the stat rings you have ;)

I did.

And regretted it, since others could use them. I gave her every Speedwing, Dracoshield, Energy Ring and Body Ring I got.

And she ended decent at best! A character should not be decent after all that coddling!

Edited by Water Mage

I try to use the characters with the best looks and personality but I'm still going to trade them out if they under-perform too badly. Basically, if they are viable, I will accept sub-optical units. Incidentally, I rarely use pre-promotes even if they are objectively better than some of their counterparts.

Laslow doesn't deserve a strike-through. Now if you said Odin...

Edited by NekoKnight

I tend to like prepromotes anyway because they have personality that appeal to me more but anyway

If I /really/ like a character for their design or personality--and they have to be like my top favorites, not just any character I enjoy, I will override any statistical deficiencies they may have with a ton of favoritism. I have the tendency to go big or go home, so usually that means all my expendable resources leaving no room to use another character who's lacking in stats and I like, but less so.

On average I'll go for stats, provided that the character in question doesn't particularly piss me off too much. Good stats can sometimes override my dislike of a character, but the more I dislike a character the more ridiculously OP they have to be to offset that. Like I'll use Corrin because Corrin's fucking powerful (and the lord, therefore force deploy), but I avoid using Silas as much as possible.

tl;dr personality at the extremes, stats in the average cases