What is more important to you, stats or personality?

What is more important?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Stats or personality?

I would usually prioritize in stats, but to what extent depends on the games. I'm one of those people who doesn't have a particular dislike with FE character's personalities. Of course, I would go with personality and design and say "fuck stats" if we are talking about grind-able games like Sacred Stones, Awakening, or Birthright.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost always personality for me. However, it can be hard to go far personality instead of stats when you're playing a harder game mode. I also went more for stats in Binding Blade because A) it was a harder game then the others and, B) There weren't as many likable characters.

I'd say personalities, but I guess what I mean by personality isn't exactly the personality by itself, but just the general presence given by the character, be it design, story role or actual personality. I used Radd in FE3 just because his art resembled a Saint Seiya character there. I also fit Fiona in my 1st end game Radiant Dawn team just because I wanted to keep using every new character from Part 1 of RD. More recently, I set out to use Haitaka and Kumagera in my 1st Conquest playthrough even before learning their growth rates and stats just because I wanted to recruit as many Hoshido characters to my army as I could.

I most often use characters I like, so personality is a little more of a priority than stats. But on occasion, I will use someone I don't like because their stats are really good. But only if I feel like I have no other options. Like with Soren in PoR. I hate him, but he's the best mage in the game by far. Ilyana just doesn't compare, Callil comes in kind of late, and Bastian comes in really late. Also, he's one of only two possible units that can deal bonus damage to the raven pirates in the one early chapter, the other being Rolf, who is a pain in the butt to train at that point (though I still use him because he always ends up way better than Shinon for me in this game).

Edited by Anacybele

Stats. The start button is my best friend when playing fire emblem

That said, there are exceptions. I wouldn't use Nyx even if she were the second coming of Seth because i absolutely despise her personality

Edited by Nobody

I tend to go with personality over stats. I often like to keep my units all around the same level in the early game, before deciding which units I like better and focusing on them.

That said, I always play on the easiest difficulty option available, so I guess stats wouldn't be as important for my playthroughs.

I put more emphasis on personality when picking a team, but if a unit is really bad, no matter how good their personality is, they are probably getting the bench. I just don't have the patience to train bad units like Nino, Amelia or Sophia, even though I really like their personalities.

Personality, really. There are a lot of units I feel mostly neutral about, so some runs I use them and some runs I don't. But then there are the characters I just can't stand personality wise, so I almost always avoid them, like Edge-lord Rutger, miss perfect Lute and "I am even more cancerogenous than Serra (who I actually like for some reason)" Clarine (I'm going to get so much hatred for this, but eh, I hate myself already anyways), while I tend to do anything for my favourite characters, like Raigh (I've done just a single run of FE6 in which I didn't use him... and I dropped it cause I was a terrible player back then and couldn't beat sacae), Frey (he survived a whole bunch of silver lance knights. And then came back to be an awesome paladin in the next game, not even a Jeigan or anything. That takes some balls) or Knoll (yeah I like Knoll, I find him a very interesting character personality-wise, and summoner goes a long way to making him somewhat useful).

I am willing to use characters with god-awful personalities (or god-awful looks), but I don't bother with unsalvageable units at all.

That reminds me, god-awful looks alone rarely is a reason for me to not use a character (the only characters I can think of that I wouldn't use because of their looks are Makalov and Gonzales, and both of them have other things going against them that stand out more).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Personality. I cannot stand Niles from Fates like seriously? And he somehow passes on his thoughts onto his daughter I mean look at her personal skill!

Still I used him in my first Conquest to capture most of the bosses after that, never used again unless to get a statue for speed.

Only character I can think of that I dislike more than him was Valtome from fire emblem radiant dawn now THAT GUY...

Mostly personality/appearance unless it's a case where the character is an unsalvagable load to the rest of my team. However, most characters are at least usable so I can get away with it most of the time.

I'm not ashamed to admit that the main reason I started using Astrid was because she was cute. Lucky I did because she turned out to be one of my PoR MVPs.

• 1 month later...