Recent deaths of two black men by police

Life

I don't usually stir the pot but the title should do the job.

Police brutality happens. But we finally have murder caught cleanly on camera. The recent deaths of Alton Sterling (shot 6 times while being restrained by two officers) and Philando Castile (shot in his car beside his girlfriend) should be the spark of a new age... if they aren't quickly forgotten about.

If you get a chance, check out Killer Mike's rant on Hot 107.9. If you have Facebook, I can send you the video since he is one of the best orators alive in this day and age.

Thoughts?

Edited by eclipse
Topic titles need to match the topic itself

I don't know if I would consider the two of them part of "the war on drugs"(which is an entirely different and fucked up conversation that needs to happen at some point), it's more of another instance where we have trigger happy police overreacting in basic encounters with blacks. "Police have a stressful job, you have to understand--" No, if you can't handle the stress of the job, don't continue to be part of it. Take your uniform off and find another profession; why would anyone want a traumatized, stressed out, ptsd-plauged person "protecting" them? It happens too much, and no one gives a fuck, they give shitty excuses. When there is video evidence, people are skeptical. Fucking video evidence.

BUT, once the police are attacked, there's white outrage. Where was the outrage when a 12 year old was shot to death for holding a fucking toy gun? How about the guy who got choked out by multiple policemen(which by the way, is an illegal technique by their own standards)? And now we have idiots saying "watch out black lives matter punks, real america is comin' for ya" once the shootings in Dallas happen. This is the problem; we have one side who sees and realizes there's a problem and is upset by it, and we have another who denies everything and becomes surprised and enraged when something happens to people who look like they do. As well as claiming that "Real America" doesn't include those affected by police brutality, they're not really people, right? They're not really citizens, right?

No one said Black Lives Matter meant Anti-Police; it's very possible that these ideas are cohesive(shocking!). The damn idea was made up by people who can't get their head out of the sand and didn't want to see the racism that exists in our world.

It's a thing that has been propagated since fucking slavery. The idea that someone can just trade a few bushels of wheat for a human being. Then, fight for that right to keep them in that situation in the civil war(don't even start with the states rights bullshit, slavery was the main reason). This is why blacks kill other blacks; they grow up in a society that doesn't value them, so why should they?

95% of this is train of thought obviously, but I tried to keep it cohesive.

Maybe you should change the title, because the title sounds like a soapbox, but the content in the OP isn't that. As bad as the Dallas Shooting is, it's better than riots in the streets. I heard from a protester in Dallas that before the sniping, the police were relaxed and that no protesters were leaning toward violence. I will say that all this at once has opened both sides of the law discussion, both the victims of unethical police practices, and those that use misjudgment to justify acts of terror. I hope both sides see the problems going on here and work together.

I think the shootings will continue more or less undiminished as long as police officers know they will always go scot free for a first offence.

Maybe you should change the title, because the title sounds like a soapbox, but the content in the OP isn't that. As bad as the Dallas Shooting is, it's better than riots in the streets. I heard from a protester in Dallas that before the sniping, the police were relaxed and that no protesters were leaning toward violence. I will say that all this at once has opened both sides of the law discussion, both the victims of unethical police practices, and those that use misjudgment to justify acts of terror. I hope both sides see the problems going on here and work together.

Hey man, sorry to change the topic, but I have to ask. You're an American, right? Are you a Neo-Nazi or what?

Edited by Hero

I think the shootings will continue more or less undiminished as long as police officers know they will always go scot free for a first offence.

Hey man, sorry to change the topic, but I have to ask. You're an American, right? Are you a Neo-Nazi or what?

I can confirm that he is not a Nazi. If it's because of his username, Rommel was to Germany what Camus was to Grust.

No, I just appreciate Erwin Rommel as a tactician. I'm actually rather liberal, at least by American standards.

I watched the Alton Sterling video all the way through. Multiple times. And here's what I got from it.

He was not shot. He was not killed. He was not murdered.

Alton Sterling was executed. A gun was held to his chest and he was shot at least 5 times.

How is there a debate going on about if the officers feared for their lives? Two white officers in Louisiana (one who had already done this shit before) executed a black man who was restrained. And then the same thing happened the next day with Philando Castile in a different state.

This is sanctioned evil.

i don't see where the war on drugs bit comes from, considering both of these particular cases is for selling bootlegs (sterling) and a routine traffic stop (castile), but nevertheless the war on drugs is indeed state-sanctioned racism. except for alcohol, pretty much any time we've banned a drug its motivations were racial (opium for the chinese, crack etc for the blacks [and hippies] in addition to the war on drugs itself).

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I watched the Alton Sterling video all the way through. Multiple times. And here's what I got from it.

He was not shot. He was not killed. He was not murdered.

Alton Sterling was executed. A gun was held to his chest and he was shot at least 5 times.

How is there a debate going on about if the officers feared for their lives? Two white officers in Louisiana (one who had already done this shit before) executed a black man who was restrained. And then the same thing happened the next day with Philando Castile in a different state.

This is sanctioned evil.

No it isn't. The governors of both Louisiana and Minnesota condemned the actions taken by the police in both incidents and asked for the FBI to take over both investigations, and just like with Freddie Gray, the FBI will probably have all involved indicted and probably prosecuted.

i don't see where the war on drugs bit comes from, considering both of these particular cases is for selling bootlegs (sterling) and a routine traffic stop (castile), but nevertheless the war on drugs is indeed state-sanctioned racism. except for alcohol, pretty much any time we've banned a drug its motivations were racial (opium for the chinese, crack etc for the blacks [and hippies] in addition to the war on drugs itself).

Opium? Really? You do know that the Chinese government were the strictest about fighting opium, right? Opium pretty much destroyed the Qing Empire.

Opium? Really? You do know that the Chinese government were the strictest about fighting opium, right? Opium pretty much destroyed the Qing Empire.

Ah, Britain. Gotta love them screwing over nations for resources they can't live without. Now, would Qing China still exist if the Opium wars didn't fuck 'em? Probably not, but things might be better than they are right now.

Ah, Britain. Gotta love them screwing over nations for resources they can't live without. Now, would Qing China still exist if the Opium wars didn't fuck 'em? Probably not, but things might be better than they are right now.

Debatable, actually. One of the reasons Japan was able to modernise was because they weren't plagued with Opium; Opium did a number on China's economy, so they could t afford modernization. They very possibly would be around today had Opium not fucked them over.

what does china's strictness with opium have to do with america's reasoning for banning opium

First, "war on drugs" is not sanctioned murder. Second, many countries did a good job doing "war on drugs" without leaving many bodies behind. It's just that Mexico is too corrupted to combat the drug lords and our law enforcers are too happy-trigger on the consumers and the Americans are too used to drugs and weeds that we cant even effectively explain why drugs and weeds are bad. If we cant convince people to stop using drugs then what else can we do?

Poor people who need money sell drugs on the street, no matter black or white. If you bother to search, you will realize white drug dealers got shot just the same as black ones. Dont blame "war on drugs", dont blame "racism", it's the police brutality that is at fault here.

Edited by Magical CC

Changed the topic title so that it's actually relevant. Don't worry, people before me, I'll leave your posts alone.

As for how this relates to drugs, I'd say it's a stretch at best. Racism seems to be the bigger motive IMO.

what does china's strictness with opium have to do with america's reasoning for banning opium

Because it shows it's not just an American thing, and that in fact regardless of any racial element, Opium as well, for that matter, as Cocaine, or Meth, should be banned?

Because it shows it's not just an American thing, and that in fact regardless of any racial element, Opium as well, for that matter, as Cocaine, or Meth, should be banned?

Banning drugs and weeds shouldnt be questioned to begin with.

Edited by Magical CC

Poor people who need money sell drugs on the street, no matter black or white. If you bother to search, you will realize white drug dealers got shot just the same as black ones. Dont blame "war on drugs", dont blame "racism", it's the police brutality that is at fault here.

nixon's war on drugs targeted blacks and hippies. we see that even today.

banning narcotics is obviously not exclusively american. motivations for doing so differ from nation to nation, however...

and why not?

Why? What's the difference between marijuana and alcohol or tobacco? Studies show that there's not that much difference. Alcohol might actually be more harmful.

banning narcotics is obviously not exclusively american. motivations for doing so differ from nation to nation, however...

But my point is that no one, Chinese or otherwise, should be doing Opium.

I take it that Opium is bad then?

Its another name for Heroin, yes. It has special significance to China because the UK illegally sold Opium to Chinese in the 1800s, which devastated the Chinese economy.

Its another name for Heroin, yes. It has special significance to China because the UK illegally sold Opium to Chinese in the 1800s, which devastated the Chinese economy.

How did a simple drug destroy an economy?