How to balance/improve future fire emblem titles

Algrador

I've played many titles of fire emblem. :) Here is a list of things that I've made(that are my opinion of course) to improve future titles. A majority is based off of things in fire emblem fates since that is the most recent title a future fire emblem game would most likely derive content from this version.

[spoiler=Skills]

-When using warp you automatically "wait" after teleporting. It's not even an option since this could activate a personal skill such as Kiragi's personal skill. Still provides little restriction to movement without overpowering opponents.

-skills such as aether, sol, luna, astra, etc. are unable to activate criticals.

-if aether/astra activates when attacking shield gauge only goes up for the first attack(prevents the individual from potentially gaining a full shield bar, etc. in 1 battle.

-the return of nihil(only allowed on 1 unit, perhaps endgame content only 1 rewarded per file and only 1 unit with this skill is allowed over wifi): negates skills on enemy unit in combat with this unit and the unit with the skill nihil, basically if you put nihil on a unit there's no point in putting other skills on it since they'd be useless including something like +5 hitpoints.

-When "replicate" is used the replica has no items in its inventory.

-miracle activates at 100% only if an enemy's lethality activates otherwise it has regular activation in all other conditions. (essentially these 2 negate each other, miracle's sole purpose to prevent lethality's bypassing of damage infliction to win).

-Cancel returns-ability to completely negate a move(boss only obviously but still annoying to face, dragonskin was underpowered compared to this).

-Regression-new ability that would cause dual guard shield bars to drain rather than increase when in combat with this unit.

-Immunity-new ability that would negate status effects on this unit

[spoiler=Weapons]

-there needs to be a weapon that targets each specific class such as "vowbreaker" bonus damage to priestess/monk, currently restricted to hammers, dragon-based weapons, and a bow that targets tome wielders

-weapons that grant bonus damage to all weapon types: currently missing shurkien, bow, lance, etc.

-new weapon that gives renewal ability(monk/priest restricted)

-Return of the Runesword(heals damage dealt), with other weapon equivalents such as a Rune lance, Rune bow, etc. (all placed with the same restrictions as Nosferatu)

-Buffer sword, buffer bow, buffer lance, buffer shuriken, buffer axe, etc. : weapon that grants the skill "nihil". The weapon must be wielded for it to take effect. I see this as "overpowered", so perhaps endgame you're given an option to choose only 1 weapon the bow, shuriken, lance, sword, etc.

-Return of Venin weapons for usage

-weapons that grant "breaker skills" return(from fire emblem awakening)

[spoiler=Stances]

-guard stance change: if pair up users switch, shield bars drain completely.

If the enemy's attack misses or deals 0 damage the shield gauge is not drained when full

-attack stance change: nearby ally does regular damage but cannot follow up, critical or activate skills

[spoiler=Status effects]

-debuffs(not self-inflicted) such as those caused by shuriken, setsuna's yumi, drain defense, draconic curse, etc only take effect if damage was dealt.

-abilities such as poison strike, savage blow, etc. only take effect if damage was dealt

-self-inflicted status caused by things such as dragonstone(+), silver yumi, etc. only lower stats when the user initiates battle

-freeze-double accuracy halve usage

-rescue staff and hexing rod having the same range as freeze

-rescue staff: can only be used on a unit that has already moved, is within range of an enemy unit, and can no longer move hence the name "rescue"

-ward staff(returns): doubles a unit's resistance(wears off over time); -20% every turn until normal in 5 turns

-critical ward staff(new): protects an ally from criticals wears off after several turns.

-poison: reintroduced via reintroduced venin weapons from past games with standard effect

-sleep staff: reintroduced via sleep staff from past games

-paralysis: reintroduced via new weapon/skill exclusive to character such as MU or late game unit or caused on maps by pitfalls, by enemies, etc.

-restore(staff): reintroduced to heal status

[spoiler=Classes]

-shuriken users such as dread fighter/master ninjas deal half damage from a distance and deal regular damage up close when using shuriken

- bow users such as snipers/ballistician/bow knight utilizing the skill point blank deal half damage up close, and regular damage from afar.

[spoiler=My Castle]

-Once you have beaten the game(post game)weapons provided to you via allies in MyCastle now are from +1(most common) to +7(rarest)

-You have the option to decide whether or not you want your characters to be "recruited/purchased" that have no shield if your team loses, etc.

-You are only allowed to acquire skills through actual battles being completed with enemy units using weapons equipped(game won't allow you place units such as singer Azura with a bow in the inventory if she has no wieldable weapon equipped.

-The throne is the only place where you can restrict movement to your unit.

-You have the option to decide whether or not to allow your team to be "taken" to an enemy's castle if they visit your MyCastle.

-You have the option to decide whether to allow enemy units with DLC skills/units to combat your MyCastle.

-losing or forfeiting a battle grants 0 battle points.

-Only one bond unit is produced for each card(1 per person you "visit") with multiple options appearing where you select the one you want.

[spoiler=DLC]

-experience DLC should be easy for any character to level up(a lvl 1 archer can gain a lot of experience by killing a level 1 monster rather than being forced to wield a "blessed weapon" that deals 1 damage thereby making it nearly impossible for them to get a kill at their current level.

-experience DLC monsters run only not retaliate with ridiculous abilities that restrict movement(defeats the purpose of the DLC by slowing you down), etc.

-DLC like museum melee would grant higher level weapons such as +3 - +7 very often compared to getting them in MyCastle by reward from NPCs.

[spoiler=Gameplay/Other]

-the ability to capture any enemy boss unit(aside from plot restricted ones such as endgame boss, etc.) to use on your team. These units should have their own critical quotes, images in battle, unique stat growths, etc.

-if future remakes are made of past titles such as sacred stones there should be no massive changes such as "a customizable unit", excessive relationship focus with children, etc. Just stick to the original game primarily with bonus content such as MyCastle returning.

-allow DLC music to be played in MyCastle and added to options under change music. I'm looking at you Vanguard Dawn...

-playing on classic mode provides x 2 reward chance post game. For example, you gain double battle/visit points from MyCastle battles when people battle/visit you or vise versa. You recieve an increased chance for rarer items +3 - +7 weapons etc. from NPCs in MyCastle. Units obtain double experience from battles(unless difficulty is changed or the option is changed by the player, option appears before battles).

-ability to save several wifi matches(like in the recent pokemon games, super smash, etc.)

-And please bring back the following recruitment theme...: D

Edited by Algrador

Hi, I'll like to discuss my opinion with these changes.

-When using warp you automatically "wait" after teleporting. It's not even an option since this could activate a personal skill such as Kiragi's personal skill. Still provides little restriction to movement without overpowering opponents.

I have to agree with you in this one, but the warp skill was only seen in fe gaiden and it was exclusive to the witch class (it was an enemy-only class), so I would change your "request" to limit the player so they only get 1 witch in the entire game, even by reclassing there should only be one character that has the witch class.

-skills such as aether, sol, luna, astra, etc. are unable to activate criticals.

-if aether/astra activates when attacking shield gauge only goes up for the first attack(prevents the individual from potentially gaining a full shield bar, etc. in 1 battle.

-the return of nihil(only allowed on 1 unit, perhaps endgame content only 1 rewarded per file and only 1 unit with this skill is allowed over wifi): negates skills on enemy unit in combat with this unit and the unit with the skill nihil, basically if you put nihil on a unit there's no point in putting other skills on it since they'd be useless including something like +5 hitpoints.

-When "replicate" is used the replica has no items in its inventory.

-miracle activates at 100% only if an enemy's lethality activates otherwise it has regular activation in all other conditions. (essentially these 2 negate each other, miracle's sole purpose to prevent lethality's bypassing of damage infliction to win).

-Cancel returns-ability to completely negate a move(boss only obviously but still annoying to face, dragonskin was underpowered compared to this).

-Regression-new ability that would cause dual guard shield bars to drain rather than increase when in combat with this unit.

-Immunity-new ability that would negate status effects on this unit

-skills being unable to crit is a great idea.

-That's the purpose of dual guard to take a deffensive stance every hit you take should count.

-your idea of nihil soounds like the perfect addition to a tank, bosses should have a variation that allows them to activate their skills

-I would prefer if instead of the character starting with no items it should take half the hp of the original (kinda like giving both the hexing rod effect)

-ok

-good

-I don't know

-That already exists (enemy-only but it exists)

-there needs to be a weapon that targets each specific class such as "vowbreaker" bonus damage to priestess/monk, currently restricted to hammers, dragon-based weapons, and a bow that targets tome wielders

-weapons that grant bonus damage to all weapon types: currently missing shurkien, bow, lance, etc.

-new weapon that gives renewal ability(monk/priest restricted)

-Return of the Runesword(heals damage dealt), with other weapon equivalents such as a Rune lance, Rune bow, etc. (all placed with the same restrictions as Nosferatu)

-Buffer sword, buffer bow, buffer lance, buffer shuriken, buffer axe, etc. : weapon that grants the skill "nihil". The weapon must be wielded for it to take effect. I see this as "overpowered", so perhaps endgame you're given an option to choose only 1 weapon the bow, shuriken, lance, sword, etc.

-Return of Venin weapons for usage

-weapons that grant "breaker skills" return(from fire emblem awakening)

-you mean the slayer weapons? those who are effective against other weapons.

-same

-there's the blessed weapons, but maybe you want a more effective healing weapon.

-not bad (should be limited though)

-you have a point, I would rather choose not to go with it

-that will give trouble to allies and enemies (mwahahaha)

-should just be 1 per gameplay (6 per gameplay; sword, lance, axe, magic, shuriken, bow)

-guard stance change: if pair up users switch, shield bars drain completely.

If the enemy's attack misses or deals 0 damage the shield gauge is not drained when full

-attack stance change: nearby ally does regular damage but cannot follow up, critical or activate skills

-hahaha, no (a strong character fills the gauge, then you swap to a weak unit for the guard bonus(

-I like it, but it's part of the strategy, you should always be three steps ahead (lame joke)

-nah I would leave it he way it is.

-skills being unable to crit is a great idea.

-That's the purpose of dual guard to take a deffensive stance every hit you take should count.

-your idea of nihil soounds like the perfect addition to a tank, bosses should have a variation that allows them to activate their skills

-I would prefer if instead of the character starting with no items it should take half the hp of the original (kinda like giving both the hexing rod effect)

-ok

-good

-I don't know

-That already exists (enemy-only but it exists)

on the dual guard, I meant when you're "attacking". Not when someone is using astra against you. It only goes up once when you're attacking and you use astra. Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, a lot of the stuff would be limited like breaker weapons, etc.

Status Effects

-debuffs(not self-inflicted) such as those caused by shuriken, setsuna's yumi, drain defense, draconic curse, etc only take effect if damage was dealt.

-abilities such as poison strike, savage blow, etc. only take effect if damage was dealt

-self-inflicted status caused by things such as dragonstone(+), silver yumi, etc. only lower stats when the user initiates battle

-freeze-double accuracy halve usage

-rescue staff and hexing rod having the same range as freeze

-rescue staff: can only be used on a unit that has already moved, is within range of an enemy unit, and can no longer move hence the name "rescue"

-ward staff(returns): doubles a unit's resistance(wears off over time); -20% every turn until normal in 5 turns

-critical ward staff(new): protects an ally from criticals wears off after several turns.

-poison: reintroduced via reintroduced venin weapons from past games with standard effect

-sleep staff: reintroduced via sleep staff from past games

-paralysis: reintroduced via new weapon/skill exclusive to character such as MU or late game unit or caused on maps by pitfalls, by enemies, etc.

-restore(staff): reintroduced to heal status

Status Effects (opinion)

-no

-also no

-ok that's good, but then people will place units in a way so they won't get the debuffs

-nah

-yea, why not?

-nop

-oh please

-mmm, enemies should also have it

-mwahaha

-yes, more status staffs!

-that seems like a problematic skill

-that would help a lot against the hexing rods

Classes

-shuriken users such as dread fighter/master ninjas deal half damage from a distance and deal regular damage up close when using shuriken

- bow users such as snipers/ballistician/bow knight utilizing the skill point blank deal half damage up close, and regular damage from afar.

Classes (opinion)

-no

-maybe

My Castle

-Once you have beaten the game(post game)weapons provided to you via allies in MyCastle now are from +1(most common) to +7(rarest)

-You have the option to decide whether or not you want your characters to be "recruited/purchased" that have no shield if your team loses, etc.

-You are only allowed to acquire skills through actual battles being completed with enemy units using weapons equipped(game won't allow you place units such as singer Azura with a bow in the inventory if she has no wieldable weapon equipped.

-The throne is the only place where you can restrict movement to your unit.

-You have the option to decide whether or not to allow your team to be "taken" to an enemy's castle if they visit your MyCastle.

-You have the option to decide whether to allow enemy units with DLC skills/units to combat your MyCastle.

-losing or forfeiting a battle grants 0 battle points.

-Only one bond unit is produced for each card(1 per person you "visit") with multiple options appearing where you select the one you want.

My Castle (opinion)

-yesssssss

-nah

-please no

-no

-no

-ok

-no, maybe less points?

-no

Edited by George Reds

As it stands, dodge tanking is the most broken thing still existing in FE.

I'd add a new mechanic that deals with it. For example, 'Exhaustion': for each time you avoid an attack, your total avoid decreases by 10-15%. This resets at the start of the unit's turn.

Or something similar. You could give a 'cripple' debuff to all bows which lower avoid by 25.

Also, HP values need to massively increase in favor of lower DEF/RES. Relative durability between units should be closer together and should instead be defined by HP. Armors for example should have closer to standardised DEF, but +10-15 base HP on the average unit. Why? It means that squishy units won't ever be one-shot, and 'tanky' units can still take a lot of hits, but no longer face <5 damage values that they can essentially ignore.

Ryoma is a good example of the former needing to exist. Xander is a good example of the latter (If you cut his DEF by ~6 but give him ~15 more HP, he's still tanky but in a more balanced way. Fates' balance in durability is not very good.

Also, they really need to let the player separate pairups and then enable the unit to act immediately after; much like trading. Unpairing costing 2 units their full turn is terrible.

As it stands, dodge tanking is the most broken thing still existing in FE.

I'd add a new mechanic that deals with it. For example, 'Exhaustion': for each time you avoid an attack, your total avoid decreases by 10-15%. This resets at the start of the unit's turn.

Or something similar. You could give a 'cripple' debuff to all bows which lower avoid by 25.

Also, HP values need to massively increase in favor of lower DEF/RES. Relative durability between units should be closer together and should instead be defined by HP. Armors for example should have closer to standardised DEF, but +10-15 base HP on the average unit. Why? It means that squishy units won't ever be one-shot, and 'tanky' units can still take a lot of hits, but no longer face <5 damage values that they can essentially ignore.

Ryoma is a good example of the former needing to exist. Xander is a good example of the latter (If you cut his DEF by ~6 but give him ~15 more HP, he's still tanky but in a more balanced way. Fates' balance in durability is not very good.

Also, they really need to let the player separate pairups and then enable the unit to act immediately after; much like trading. Unpairing costing 2 units their full turn is terrible.

I actually made a character that does the opposite using a general with over 70 defense(paired up with Benny putting it in the 80s) to try to see if generals are better than dodgetanks, yet I was dying to lethality left and right by 1 or 2 damage dealt. If they fix the HP value stuff it'd be nice to fix lethality a bit more since it would still bypass a 100HP general, etc.

I'm probably the only one who would like to see MP as a new stat.

By using MP you can use class skills like astra, luna or sol etc.

That means class skills won't be activated randomly.

A bit of the MP (certain number) recovers after each turn.

It'd be better for the player to activate the skills when you want to use them on NPCs, but is it better for the game series in the long run or another player playing against you? It depends on the type of player you are I suppose.

Do you think an FE game where the maximum a stat could be (if the caps allow it) is 50....could it be reasonably balanced in any way?

Awakening had some thing like that and it certainly was not balanced, although the lack of balance in Awakening was due to combination of many factors, not just the high stat caps.

Awakening had some thing like that and it certainly was not balanced, although the lack of balance in Awakening was due to combination of many factors, not just the high stat caps.

I thought the lack of balance was due to the ability to grind for unlimited exp and good weapons,,,this made any chapter extremely easy.