Forged Weapons too powerful?

crazy_man

It seems this can be easily abused. I mean I did upgrade some weapons to +1 or +2 but +7 seems excessive. Does going higher break the game even on Lunatic?

Edited by crazy_man

Going much higher isn't really practical (+7 is ludicrous). I generally wouldn't say that something which takes hours upon hours "breaks game balance" but your milage may vary.

That said forging may be slightly on the too strong side. Once you have lots of gems, it becomes a hard sell to use, say, silver, when iron +2 is the same cost and only slightly weaker without the myriad downsides. I've used silver weapons, but rarely would I consider buying them once I can make Iron +2. On the other hand the presence of weapons like the Prf weapons makes me feel like forging was assumed. So maybe I'm really just arguing that steel/silver are a touch more expensive than they should be.

Ehhh, I think that forging in this game isn't anywhere near as practical as it was in Awakening, much less Shadow Dragon.

It seems this can be easily abused. I mean I did upgrade some weapons to +1 or +2 but +7 seems excessive. Does going higher break the game even on Lunatic?

Yes, if you allow for inifnite lottery and +7 forges on everything, Niles can kill literally everything in the game with Iron/Steel Bows (later Bronze/Iron Swords) and capture every useful boss. More generally, pretty much anyone can kill anyone with no effort, which kind of takes the fun out of training up a party, because aside from gaining Spd procs, your EXP distribution almost doesn't matter.

I have a +7 Steel Naginata and I feel Oboro is now very overpowered with it... Like, I'm not even in endgame and she Oneshot all the enemies with no effort... So yeah, I think forging is too powerfull, at least for the main story (I hasn't used her in online)

the msot people usually go to is about +1-3 but even then iron weapons +2 still has the same power as silver with less downsides.

i wouldn't say it's broken per say just a little too strong.

getting +7's are excessive but take a lot of time even for brass/bronze weapons since it requires 128 of the same weapon in total to get one.

online it really isn't that broken since everyone has +7's anyways with some miracle midori lethality quixotic hoshidan unity bullshit, but sometimes its the only way to actually damage an enemy because they have like 60 defense.

Does might 17, hit 100, crit 15 on a naginata with no debuffs sound excessive?

How about a +7 forged any dagger/shuriken on a Master Ninja Corrin/Kana with Draconic Hex and Poison Strike, because you never can have debuff abilities?

Because if not, then I want whatever drugs you're snorting.

Ehhh, I think that forging in this game isn't anywhere near as practical as it was in Awakening, much less Shadow Dragon.

Awakening had it mitigated with durability, unless you used Armsthrift. I think forging was actually the most balanced in that game, if only because of the limits imposed on forging. Though of course, if you forge a Killing weapon... though that's more a result of the weapons themselves being broken, not the system itself.

SD and New Mystery, however, were completely broken, especially given that you get so much money if you're actually good at playing them (which is not very hard with SD), or if you're a cheap bastard patient enough, you could grind for cash in the arenas. The fact that you were only able to forge one weapon per chapter did not balance it at all, really.

I have a +7 Steel Naginata and I feel Oboro is now very overpowered with it... Like, I'm not even in endgame and she Oneshot all the enemies with no effort... So yeah, I think forging is too powerfull, at least for the main story (I hasn't used her in online)

Hey mate, that story is all too familiar to me. Let's just say a lot of banditos and spooky monsters were in dire need of stitches in my playthrough.

Also, if a Takumi with a maximum forged Steel Yumi, the Point Blank skill, and both counter skills isn't OP for multiplayer, then a forged naginata is no biggy.

Awakening had it mitigated with durability, unless you used Armsthrift. I think forging was actually the most balanced in that game, if only because of the limits imposed on forging. Though of course, if you forge a Killing weapon... though that's more a result of the weapons themselves being broken, not the system itself.

SD and New Mystery, however, were completely broken, especially given that you get so much money if you're actually good at playing them (which is not very hard with SD), or if you're a cheap bastard patient enough, you could grind for cash in the arenas. The fact that you were only able to forge one weapon per chapter did not balance it at all, really.

I guess you're right, but compared to those games, where I actually could improve a weapon by leaps and bounds, Fates requires me to actively piss away cash I could've used for better stuff just to forge, and the improvements are minimal. That just ain't worth it to me.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

It's your playthrough, do what you will. I certainly don't feel forging is unfair compared to some of the things you can do in the game if you're so inclined (grinding, skill buying, etc.), though. You could avoid visiting other castles for gems if you want to keep it under control (it's what I do anyway, but I like the idea of my playthroughs being pure and not affected by other people's files; YMMV).

Forging feels like the one thing that makes early game revelations lunatic feel fair without logbook abuse with how they LOVE to give you underleveled units. Otherwise, I'd feel inclined to buy weaponfaires for everyone, which is several times more lame.

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

All my units have at least a +3 weapon, with some +2s here and there. I only go further if a unit has low strenght or if the weapon type has low might. For example I got a +4 Steel Shuriken on Midori because she's got only 31 strenght and Shuriken deal very low damage.

I also have a +7 Silver Katana named Hisamaru on my Hinata because I love his character but with that low speed and strength he just can't get the job done without a good weapon.

Edited by Petersheikah

You aren't going to get the higher level forges unless you grind/abuse DLC so if it breaks the game, that was on you. The highest forge I ever got was a +3 and that was with Smithy Skill Midori raining Iron weapons on me. If I had to say anything is "wrong" with forging, it's that forged Iron weapons are often superior to Steel and Silver.