[FE7] Fire Emblem: Wargames

Caliban of Sycorax

This will probably never come to fruition

So this is something that's been a bit of a pet project for a while. With no team, no hacking skills, and no time, it's probably going to make little to no progress, however, I feel like I should at least post it here and get some feedback/generate interest.

Fire Emblem: Wargames is a [planned] hack of Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, featuring a new playable cast on a new continent. The story revolves around Caliban and Margaret, the prince and princess of Vespasio, who are forced into war after their kingdom is invaded by a neighbor while they themselves are embroiled in another war with the kingdom of Hapsbourg. The snowball effect comes into play as Caliban and Margaret discover assassination plots, a coup d'etat, a hidden society, and eventually, come to full-scale world war with the fate of the world at stake.

This hack features:

-New world and map

-Completely new cast of characters

-Expanded class roster

-Roughly 27-30 chapters of gameplay, split into five story arcs

-Expanded items table, including several characters getting personal weapons

Other planned features:

-Custom music

-Updated battlesprites and animations for some classes

[spoiler=World overview]The continent of Edrigal has four kingdoms, one empire, and a republic.

The Kingdom of Vespasio: Home to the main protagonists, Caliban and Margaret.

The Kingdom of Hapsbourg: The main antagonist nation, Vespasio is invading Hapsbourg at the beginning of the story.

The Kingdom of Krell: An economically failing kingdom that invades Vespasio at the beginning of the story.

The Kingdom of Mor'vel: An ally nation to Vespasio; Caliban and Margaret uncover an assassination plot after the Krell invasion.

The Nossar Empire: A large theocratic empire, dealing with a coup d'etat against the empress Justine.

The Republic of Genisis: A small republic formerly part of Nossar that was founded by rebels of the lower class.

There is also the hidden society of the Amazons, who are secluded from the rest of the world.

[spoiler=Plot outline]The story is split into five arcs, taking the cast across the continent and eventually involving all nations in the conflict.

Arc 1: The Krell Arc (~7-8 Chapters)

The first arc of the story, this arc deals with the Krell invasion of Vespasio which Caliban and Margaret are forced to counter.

Arc 2: The Mor'vel Arc (~4 Chapters)

This arc follows Caliban and Margaret as they travel to Mor'vel to receive formal support in the Hapsbourg campaign from queen Constanze. While there they are forced to stop an assassin from killing the queen and her two children.

Arc 3: The Amazon Arc (~4 Chapters)

This arc takes Caliban and Margaret into the hidden society of the Amazons, where they aid the deposed princesses Diana and Daphne in defeating those who threaten them. Here, they learn much about the mythology and history of Edrigal.

Arc 4: The Nossar Arc (~6 Chapters)

Receiving word of the coup d'etat in Nossar, Caliban and Margaret travel to Nossar to aid the empress Justine.

Arc 5: The Hapsbourg Arc (~5-6 Chapters)

The finale, where Caliban and Margaret join the main Vespasio army with their forces and continue the invasion of Hapsbourg, coming face-to-face with their enemy, Malcolm, prince of Hapsbourg.

The plot sounds like an excuse to get people to jump around the continent without actually thinking about how it relates your character personalities and decisions. What sort of character arcs do you have planned?

The plot sounds like an excuse to get people to jump around the continent without actually thinking about how it relates your character personalities and decisions. What sort of character arcs do you have planned?

The idea is to show Caliban and Margaret as they mature. At the start of the war, they have some combat experience, but not enough to lead. They are chosen to lead the counter-invasion because the king is leading the main army in the Hapsbourg invasion. Thus, they begin their involvement in the war mostly out of convenience. Once they end the Krell invasion the Mor'vel arc begins as they are instructed to seek support. The queen of Mor'vel is a relative of theirs, so there is a family connection. Beyond that I haven't completely mapped out the character arcs, although the Amazon arc is mostly there for plot and adding exposition. The finale brings the exposition and character arcs together, especially with Caliban and Margaret's connection to Malcolm, who is the main antagonist of the story.

There are also sub-plots with a few different characters and a few that span several chapters while the main story happens.

All right, so I'm currently trying to balance the playable cast in terms of size, unit diversity, and also how well I can write everyone. Ideally everyone will have a backstory, presence in the plot, and reason for joining the army, however small. Obviously some units have more reason than others and they will have more fleshed-out stories. Here's the breakdown of units thus far:

NOTE: Join Chapters are still rough estimates, however, they are within ~2 Chapters of the number currently posted.

[spoiler=Playable Cast]Caliban

Prince (SW) -> ??? (SW/??)

Joins in Chapter 1

Margaret

Princess (LA) -> ??? (LA/SW)

Joins in Chapter 1

Buck

Paladin (SW/LA/AX)

Joins in Chapter 1

Anya

Stradiot (LA) -> Dame Knight (LA/SW)

Joins in Chapter 1

Henry

Pugilist (AX) -> Warrior (AX/BO)

Joins in Chapter 3

Cody

Archer (BO) -> Sniper (BO)

Joins in Chapter 3

Eilley

Troubadour (ST) -> Valkyrie (ST/LI/AN)

Joins in Chapter 4

Kate

Pegasus Knight (LA/SW) -> Seraph Knight (LA/SW)

Joins in Chapter 6

Tristan

Dracoknight (AX) -> Dragonlord (AX/LA)

Joins in Chapter 6

Benvolio

Hero (SW/AX)

Joins in Chapter 6

Aurora

Cleric (ST) -> Saint (ST/LI)

Joins in Chapter 8

Max

Thief (SW) -> Assassin (SW)

Joins in Chapter 9

Lysander

Convoy

Joins in Chapter 9

Edmund

Cataphract (AX) -> Great Knight (AX/LA)

Joins in Chapter 10

Zack

Cavalier (SW/LA) -> Paladin (SW/LA/AX)

Joins in Chapter 10

Callisto

Pegasus Knight (LA/SW) -> Seraph Knight (LA/SW)

Joins in Chapter 11

Gilroy

Sword Fighter (SW) -> Swordmaster (SW)

Joins in Chapter 12

Jacob

Turcopole (BO) -> Silver Knight (BO/LA)

Joins in Chapter 13

Eve

Dancer

Joins in Chapter 14

Spade

Pugilist (AX) -> Warrior (AX/BO)

Joins in Chapter 14

Bianca

Berserker (AX)

Joins in Chapter 14

Gideon

Priest (ST) -> Bishop (ST/LI)

Joins in Chapter 15

Baxter

Paladin (SW/LA/AX)

Joins in Chapter 16

Kumar

Marauder (AX) -> Berserker (AX)

Joins in Chapter 17

Aurelian

Cuirassier (SW) -> Gold Knight (SW/AX)

Joins in Chapter 17

Lucretia

Mercenary (SW) -> Hero (SW/AX)

Joins in Chapter 17

Alexandra

General (SW/LA/BO)

Joins in Chapter 19

Cassia

Archsage (AN/LI/ST)

Joins in Chapter 19

Diana

Sniper (BO)

Joins in Chapter 20

Daphne

Neophyte (AN) -> Mage Knight (AN/ST)

Joins in Chapter 21

Philip

Duke Knight (LA/SW)

Joins in Chapter 23

Jamie

Swordmaster (SW)

Joins in Chapter 24

Charlotte

Seraph Knight (LA/SW)

Joins in Chapter 25

Theodora

Dragonlord (AX/LA)

Joins in Chapter 25

Levi

General (LA/AX/BO)

Joins in Chapter 27

Justine

Empress (BO)

Joins in Chapter 27

Magdalena

Valkyrie (ST/AN/LI)

Joins in Chapter 29

Brittan

Hero (SW/AX)

Joins in Chapter 30

Anne

Swordmaster (SW)

Joins in Chapter 30

Kali

Voice (AN/LI/DA/ST)

Joins in Endgame I

A few characters are up for the chop while a few may be moved around (for example I am debating cutting Gilroy and replacing him with Jamie while no one will join in Jamie's current spot; Jamie will join as a Sword Fighter if that is the case). Alternatively I may change a few classes, I realize I have a lot of earlygame axes (Henry was changed from a Mercenary to a Pugilist so that way we don't have two Hero classes that early) and may fix that as well as shuffling a few others around.

Does the Empress use the Queen/PeerF Map sprite? I did always wonder what she would fight as if she were playable. Ismaire switching classes doesn't count.

I'll most likely have custom map sprites for her class, same with the Prince/Princess and their promotions.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my opinion, but you may want to make four of the names simpler. Cataphract should be changed to Axe Knight (because Kieran was an Axe Knight and he's the MVP), and Cuirassier should just be Sword Knight (like Fergus from FE5!). Stradiot ahould just be Lance Knight (because Finn and Oscar.). Turcopole should be Bow Knight (because Astrid and Selfina). Just my opinion, but you may want to consider it. Also, Duke Knights should be Lance-locked, in keeping with Duke Knight tradition, like Quan, Finn, Glade and the other two numbnuts from Thracia.

Other than that...

OMG GENERALS CAN USE BOWS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HAPPY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But why are there no unpromoted Armor Knights?

Just my opinion, but you may want to make four of the names simpler. Cataphract should be changed to Axe Knight (because Kieran was an Axe Knight and he's the MVP), and Cuirassier should just be Sword Knight (like Fergus from FE5!). Stradiot ahould just be Lance Knight (because Finn and Oscar.). Turcopole should be Bow Knight (because Astrid and Selfina). Just my opinion, but you may want to consider it. Also, Duke Knights should be Lance-locked, in keeping with Duke Knight tradition, like Quan, Finn, Glade and the other two numbnuts from Thracia.

Other than that...

OMG GENERALS CAN USE BOWS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HAPPY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But why are there no unpromoted Armor Knights?

The names are up for debate honestly, I just want to have something that makes class names better than just "____ Knight".

Duke/Dame Knights having Lances and Swords is mostly to balance them, every promoted horse knight has their base weapon and the weapon their base is strong against. Silver Knights having Lances is a nod to FE9 and FE10, plus I am leaning toward Caliban getting Bows when he promotes (both Caliban and Margaret will have a horse when they promote).

I am debating how to properly use Generals, given that I don't know if I want to implement a "each weapon knight" or just have Generals use everything like in FE4. Right now Generals are the reverse of horse knights where they receive Bows and the weapon their base is weak against upon promotion (Bow Generals have Axes and Lances). As for the lack of unpromoted armor knights, I haven't found a proper place to put one in the game, although one may make an appearance. My big fear is this becoming another Horse Emblem, as I want every unit to have some form of use in the main game.

The names are up for debate honestly, I just want to have something that makes class names better than just "____ Knight".

Duke/Dame Knights having Lances and Swords is mostly to balance them, every promoted horse knight has their base weapon and the weapon their base is strong against. Silver Knights having Lances is a nod to FE9 and FE10, plus I am leaning toward Caliban getting Bows when he promotes (both Caliban and Margaret will have a horse when they promote).

I am debating how to properly use Generals, given that I don't know if I want to implement a "each weapon knight" or just have Generals use everything like in FE4. Right now Generals are the reverse of horse knights where they receive Bows and the weapon their base is weak against upon promotion (Bow Generals have Axes and Lances). As for the lack of unpromoted armor knights, I haven't found a proper place to put one in the game, although one may make an appearance. My big fear is this becoming another Horse Emblem, as I want every unit to have some form of use in the main game.

All valid points, and I think Caliban's promoted class could be called Warrior King, depending on how you develop his character.

All valid points, and I think Caliban's promoted class could be called Warrior King, depending on how you develop his character.

That sounds like an interesting premise; the story revolves around Caliban and Margaret becoming stronger warriors on top of their current strengths: Caliban is tactical while Margaret is a skilled diplomat.

Statistically Caliban has higher SKL, DEF, and RES than Margaret while she has higher POW, SPD, and LCK; both of them are also fairly tied on HP.

Edited by Hamlet