What's the point of Permanent death in Fire Emblem?

Harvey

I get that some one would want to play games casually and really, I get that for something niche like FE, it needs to sell well.

But I feel that casual mode ruins the whole point of Fire Emblem which is permanent death. I get that you need lots and LOTS of time for these kind of games but then why even have the option to enable it?

If anything, why not just give an abundant supply of alm staves to compensate with casual mode? I get the feeling that IS/Nintendo may change the way of playing FE sooner or later and whether its for the best or for the worst remains to be seen.

I don't really understand what you're asking. In the title you ask about the point of permanent death, but in the OP you ask about casual mode?

Like, the point of permanent death is adding an extra challenge. Keeping every character alive is that, an extra challenge, meant to add some depth to the game and make it harder, which some people like. Like, coming up with strategies that allow me to keep every unit alive is someone that I really love, specially in harder maps and difficulties.

About casual mode, well, not everyone enjoys having to think hard in order to keep every unit alive, and some want to be able to keep their units even if they were reckless without needing to redo the chapter, which is completely fine. It's just another difficulty setting, and I don't really see how it ruins the "whole point of fire emblem", considering classic is still there for people who love it, like me, to play.

Edited by Nobody

I prefer Casual mode, because people like me, are VERY BAD at Fire Emblem. I would have lost over half my team if I didn't play on casual mode

Another one of these topics?

I think you mean "classic" and it's there for people who prefer it, it's just that simple.

And honestly, if you don't like losing units in classic mode... just get good. "Compensation" with an abundance of 'revive buttons' defeats the purpose of the mode in the first place.

Should this really be a topic, again?

Edited by Soledai

Harvey my boy, you aren't making any sense. Things like multiple Aum staves are things your early healers wouldn't even be able to use frustrating anyone who wanted to start playing the game on casual. Also you cheapen death significantly because if that's your solution, classic fans like me would be overloaded with Aum staves which would make some strategizing moot and pointless.

I'm not the biggest supporter of casual, but I can see it's appeal and how it can bring people to the series without taking away from what the classic fans want from it. I don't really see the need of removing that mode when people have fun with it and the only one I have gripes with is Phoenix Mode and even then I won't care if it's around for the next installment since it won't detract from my own experience. Simple as that.

So yeah. What were you trying to prove with this thread?

Edited by Raguna

I would prefer it if they kept permadeath on as an option. I don't mind casual mode, but I do think the game isn't really build around it.

Right now there is a pretty high stat difference between your own units and the enemy. Your army is usually stronger, faster and more durable then the random mooks you face. The main difficulty for chapters isn't finishing the chapter and killing the boss/seizing the throne, but its doing so with no one getting killed. Without permadeath you can just rush through the whole stage with your much stronger army and finish the chapter without much trouble.

I think Classic and Casual should both remain options. I specifically remember an interview for a game (it was either FE6, 9, or 11) where the developers themselves basically said "Who actually adheres to perma death instead of resetting?" Which likely was the rational that led them to include casual mode in FE12 and onward. I am completely on board with the concept of casual mode, and, while I do vastly prefer the older games, I always play the 3DS games on casual as I am a completionist and having a permanent black mark detracting from getting 100% is something I can't bear unless it's a self imposed challenge (or iron man run as I've heard it called). This does NOT mean I brazingly throw units at the game- in fact, I get more enjoyment out of treating the game as if perma death was in effect, with casual mode being a MERE SAFETY NET.

But the fact both casual and classic modes exist adds not only to broader appeal, but also replay value. I have the option if, one day, I decide I wanna do a classic iron man run with perma death, i am free to do that and it adds to the lasting appeal of the game to have multiple options.

Side note: i also remember reading about an interview where the developers of FE9 made Ike a common mercenary for no other reason than to make him "more of a self insert" of the player, even though they eventually went with him being basically an Ogma archetype in the end. So the avatars of recent FE history have their roots not only in Nintendo Wars and FE7, but also Ike's development in the development cycle of Path of Radiance.

^^^Pretty much agree with all posts above.

Not really sure what this topic is really about overall?? I'll put in my two cents about how I feel anyways. I love classic mode. For me it's just an extra addition that makes the game more fun (also irritating) to me. It isn't for everyone, and who cares. Play whatever you prefer. So yeah, that's how I feel..

Casual mode is there for the casuals who need it. As long as Classic mode is still an option, I think having Casual mode is fine. Though, I feel Phoenix mode is going a bit too far, since it's almost impossible to lose on it.

What are you exactly asking?

The point of permadeath like the tittle says? Because the way you worded it is pretty weird.

I"m assuming you mean what is the point of Casual mode, because you worded it that way.

Casual mode is for... Casuals, people that don't take the game very seriously and just want to play it, not "being good at it", people that play for the story(which I find stupid because most of FE stories are pretty bad excluding FE4 and FE8, people say FE9 has a good plot but I never played it).

Classic mode is for people who look a for challenge, is meant to punish you for playing carelessly.

I play on Classic mode, but I restart whenever one of my guys fall in battle and die. It's mostly to have my actions actually matter instead of my guy just being alright at th ened of the battle. True in the end the result is the same (dead guy is not actually dead) but in the former case I need to restart now and try again or go the rest of the game without saving.

I'm pretty sure Kaga said in an interview that he included permadeath so that you could feel really sad when a unit you were attached to died and reflect on their death, or something like that. I don't really remember, and I could just be pulling shit out of my ass.