Dodge tanks in fates?

Dinar87

Hate to the bearer of bad news as well, but it seems that dodge-tanking is not as viable as past entries. I'll have to check, but apparently, the hit rate mechanism has changed from being two-random-number averages (which polarises the actual accuracy percentage) to a less skewed version. Thus what was previously viable in dodging at 30% (or even 10-20%) accuracy apparently has become not as reliable. Also, a lot of the units in generals have lower max HP, so that makes DT less forgiving too.

Edited by henrymidfields

They are possible, espiacilly thanks to weapons with avo+, BUT Fates RNG loves to troll us, we will get Hit often.

But it is still possible. I beat the Boss of Hoshido Chapter 27 with Hana alone (Lobster was Guard-Support), by dodging and filling Guard gauge^^

Fates isn't really a good game for dodgetanking due to its mechanics and skills.

You have units like Effie and Xander in Conquest or Rinkah in Birthright who serve as wall against physical weapons.

And you have units like Felicia or Niles who are very good against magic users.

But mainly in Conquest there's no real unit who can solo a map easily.

Samurais / swordmasters are still the best for dodgetanking since they have a skill which gives them +30 evasion whenever they start a combat fight.

Furthermore there are weapons like sun katana which grant an unit extra evasion.

The only effective dodge tank in the game is Ryoma, and it's mostly because he has good HP for a Swordmaster, and even them, he's exclusive to Birthright/Revelations.

There's no real dodge tank in Conquest. There are many effective tanks however, like Xander, Beruka, Benny and Keaton.

Fates isn't really a good game for dodgetanking due to its mechanics and skills.

You have units like Effie and Xander in Conquest or Rinkah in Birthright who serve as wall against physical weapons.

And you have units like Felicia or Niles who are very good against magic users.

But mainly in Conquest there's no real unit who can solo a map easily.

Samurais / swordmasters are still the best for dodgetanking since they have a skill which gives them +30 evasion whenever they start a combat fight.

Furthermore there are weapons like sun katana which grant an unit extra evasion.

What's changed mechanics wise to allow this travesty of a situation to occur?

It sounds retarded but in my only Revelations run Sakura came close what I'd call a dodgetank.
In first tier and as priestess she capped speed, luck, defense and resistance fast.
She dodged very well and even if she got hit she only took barely damage.

But I guess I was just very lucky with her.

Units have low HP and enemies with dragon vein can screw you really badly like losing HP down to 1.

For the highest possible evasion you need pair up units which grant you skill, speed and luck. Furthermore you should use rallies to increase these stats

However especially in Conquest opponents have skills which can reduce certain stats (strength, speed, defense) if they hit you. If that happens you might have a problem.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Characters have lower HP and the RNG seems to be changed and is no longer completely in the player's favor.

Edited by Water Mage

Royal Bias, Low HP, and FE6's RNG. That said, Conquest's map design is built around not having dodgetanks, so even someone like me who damn near requires them for his team, got thru despite not having. I can say with confidence that Early Game Conquest and Endgame are the ONLY places stats actually matter. You may think that would make the game too easy, but no it doesn't. Conquest's challenge comes more from the maps themselves than enemy rushes like Birthright, FE6, or Tellius in general

Lower HP, True Hit being abolished, and skills like Poison Strike, Certain Blow, etc. do a number on dodgetanking.

Echoing others here, but dodgetanking is kind of hard when a wave of poison ninjas get you to 1 hp before enemy phase ends.

Didn't know about the random number change before this but that adds an extra layer of difficult too.

On the other hand, Conquest has Marx and Effie who take damage from almost nothing but said poison (which can't kill you) so you can often just regulartank.

How does more evasion on player phase help dodgetanking (which I'm pretty sure is an enemy phase thing) again?

Other than not getting that I agree with all you say.

You can try a unit like...

BondUnit

Personal: Underdog

Skills: LuckySeven

Class: Master Ninja / Sword Master

Weapon: Kagero's Dart / Sunrise Katana

It's decent, but Quixotic+Certain Blow makes it obsolete.

If you're playing in a tournament setting, where skills are banned, then it should do fine.

For just gameplay, Subaki makes a decent dodge tank with Perfectionist+LuckySeven+SwordMaster+SunriseKatana.

You can easily get this with regular gameplay, but dodge tanking doesn't do very well until you get that lucky skill which comes late because stupid game design.

Of course you probably won't be doing the best dodging against spears and shurikens, but everything else will have a hard time hitting you.

How does more evasion on player phase help dodgetanking (which I'm pretty sure is an enemy phase thing) again?

I know it's not that helpful all in all but you can benefit twice at least (= attacking twice in player phase).

Anyways I forgot to mention that Duelist's Blow is also usable in enemy phase when Vantage is actived.

Anyways I forgot to mention that Duelist's Blow is also usable in enemy phase when Vantage is actived.

I don't know about that - Duelist's Blow requires the unit with it to be the initiator of combat, whereas Vantage requires the ENEMY to initiate combat when you're at half HP or less. Those sound like mutually exclusive situations.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Dodgetanking isn't as relevant anymore due to Fates' Hit/Avoid rates appearing to be single RNs (what you see is what you get; no skew at all), skills that affect Hit/Avoid like weaponbreakers, Certain Blow, Heartseeker, Quixotic, and skills that do damage as long as the user survives combat (Poison Strike, Grisly Wound, Pyrotechnics, etc.) and other stuff like certain Dragon Veins and in some castles, Dusk Dragon statue and the Mess Hall (+30% Hit rate to castle's defenders). It only really has effect if you grind a LOT for your stats.

Probably the most well-known dodgetank is female avatar as a Swordmaster with +SPD and -STR, SKL, DEF, or HP in an S-support with Jakob (also a Swordmaster; easy to get if female avatar has Samurai talent). The female avatar would often be seen with Nohrian Trust and 4 weaponbreakers (usually Sword, Lance, Shuriken, and Bow) and Jakob would provide proc skills (usually something Pavise, Aegis, Rend Heaven, Aether, Miracle, Dual Guarder, Luna, Lethality). The reason Jakob is picked is because of his personal skill boosting the avatar's Avoid rate during pair-up situations.

Hagakure Blade (Birthright and Revelation only) and Sunrise Katana are typically the weapons of choice with their +20 Avoid bonus upon being equipped with one of them. The female avatar may also want the Battle Seal (requires 9999 Battle Points) and Visitation Seal (requires 9999 Visit Points) to boost her Speed and Luck respectively. She'd also want the Master Emblem once it releases as well. And of course, she wants the Omega Yato (Revelation-only) in her inventory for the stat boosts.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Swordmaster, Master Ninja, and Nine-Tails all stacked with -Breakers are the closest you'll get to "reliable" dodge tanking. It may work in game, but in PvP Bows (particularly of the Shiny variety) are the most common weapon type and Certain Blow is run a lot. Setsuna!Selkie is pretty good it is just that Certain Blow w/ a Bow takes her out (~60% hit rate) but this is Fates we're talking about.