MrStarster Starts Again

MrStarster

Hey everyone. I was gone for some time... Well, that's because quiet a few things happened. Lost my computer. Lost my work. Fell ill. Lost a father. Just a lot of things really and I lost my will to sprite. Now, I'm going to start again with a new unit that is a WIP now but I hope will be able to be put as any weapon unit not filled in a game or just mooks with a large variety of weapons to use.

The Man at Arms is a unit ready to give life and limb to country and his unit has been specially trained to use a variety of weapons to make them a force to be reckoned with in the battle field. Equip to for almost every situation, all this unit will need to become a pain in the enemies side is the proper weapon at the proper time. The only downside of having the ability to have so much equipment is that the weight of his armor has been lowered to compensate the arsenal of weapons he carries.

nwitf8.png

Edited by MrStarster

I remember you! You had some good stuff. Nice to see you back. :D

(Very sorry to hear about all that shit you went thru though. You have my sympathies. :o)

Man at arms looks very interesting! He is holding the regular axe very oddly in the standing pose though... but the chopping movements seem promising. Also, the shading of the body seems a little off... although looks like you were going for a Pleated Leather top or something? Definitely interesting.

Anyways, glad to see you back. Would love to see more. :D

Edited by ErrantShepherd

Thanks. Yeah it's suppose to be like the padded cloth or something but I think I'm probably going to start from scratch again for the armor. And yeah.... that regular axe is a bit off now that I double take... Still. Glad you're liking it so far.

iviu6o.gif

Test animation for the Man at Arms Axe chop edition.

I think I'll remove the slight movement to the arms only to smooth it up.

Edit: And thank you for the concern Sweet_Basil. Hope you like the chop animation for now. ^-^

Edited by MrStarster

The blur, while really cool, looks extremely awkward, as it seems to just be a slide with no actual leg motion (if there is some I can't see it).

It also looks like it would translate poorly to the actual distance between fighters in the game:

m2gMX8l.png

but maybe my senses are just messing with me, they have been most of today

Ah! Right. they're that close... Haven't actually seen the game for some time and forgot. ^^ thanks for bringing that up. Next animation test will have that in mind.

As for the blur, yeah I didn't spend to much time on it for now. It is just a lazy slide motion. Wanted to get something before I headed to bed (currently 12:12 and should already be asleep). Next blur will have at min the legs pulling back like on the slide back. Also, maybe some dust added in?

Ok, fixed the animation a bit after waking up. I found the blur still translated pretty well still but I made the legs try to move but it still looks really like a slide. Idk, think it's pretty good even at the close distance?

9i70pg.gif

Oh, and here's the sheet so far. Bit of a mess. Sorry about that.

2hmd1u1.png

You could try making him do a little hop back. Just straight up sliding looks really unnatural. Rest looks cool though!

Edited by Tao

The actual hitting frames feel like the lack impact, probably due to the fact you've 3 blur frames for the axe easing into the actual strike. IMO, get rid of the middle one, and that should make the strike feel more powerful. Additionally, the slide forward to attack feels weird for the same reason the slide back did. Maybe hopping forward and actually moving the near leg or something? He like barely moves his legs, and lbh, when you move forward to add momentum to a strike, you generally want your body torquing with the motion, not away from it - kind of like when throwing a ball really hard and you step into the action rather than just leaving your leg stuck out in the back.

Teapot, you make a few good points. I tried keeping it the same for the animation already done while trying to make it look like during the blur it kinda switches in front. Kinda got it me thinks since he jumps back with the legs back in position luckily.

2rh8axf.gif

Still looks a bit slide like probably but it looks better to me. Also here's a crit.

21l4s45.gif

I liked making it because it reminds me of him shouting or powering up like dark souls' weapon arts.

4t1109.gif

Also combo thing. Just because.

Additional thoughts after the post:

Hey, as anyone done like a portable ballista unit? I think I might throw something out for that...

Edited by MrStarster

...damn Starster. Damn good. :)

Its improving quite a bit.

I have not heard of a portable ballista. There is a battlesprite that wolt uses in FE6 though?

Edited by ErrantShepherd

2zfoh2v.png

Trying out that portable ballista unit thing when I remembered my old Centaur sprite which made me think putting a high powered bow on a horse might be a good idea. Makes it mobile after all. ^-^ Here's just the quick idea of it in sheet format for testing.

Alright here is the Man at Arms and all of his weapons. I reused the animation for all weapons simply out of laziness but I found it worked out for the most part in mild variations. Axe, hand axe, sword, spear, javelin, there should be all basic weapons.

j0h2r9.png

Edited by MrStarster

A slight edit to the Man at Arms sprite. Decided to add the weapons he isn't using to his back. This includes unarmed actually having idle poses. I noticed as well that I didn't have crits for the hand axe and the javelin so I added those too.

2wnmzhe.png

Kinda looks slapped on but I like it.

edit: came out a bit blurry it seems as well... oh well. If people want it I can just send them a better file. ^-^ Also, thanks ghast. Glad you like it.

Edited by MrStarster

These are pretty good! How did you successfully rotate the arrow without it becoming a jumbled mess of pixels? Because that's what happens when you rotate an object in gimp at any angle that isn't a multiple of 90. Also, do you have any shading advice?

Edited by Dinar87

As I said in the previous post the arrow animation is from the centaur monster animation. I can't seem to make weapons all that well so I rely on splicing weapons from other units into my animation. The arrow came pre set for me and all I did was make sure things lined up and looked alright when put on my unit. As for shading... I kinda pillow shade a lot in my own opinion. I would start with figuring out where your light source comes from and darken the shadows to the further form the source it gets. Or, the way I do it, wing it. Find out what works and what doesn't. Start from a single color then add until it looks right to you.

If anything else, this is the picture one of my early art teachers showed me. I don't like art classes all that much but I did learn a few things from them.

http://www.proko.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Light-on-Form-600x600.jpg

also, here's the unit I spliced from.

http://www.feplanet.net/sprites-archive-battle-sheets/m/2575

(sorry its a link and not just a pic)

Edited by MrStarster

• 2 weeks later...