FE3 Pseudo-blind 2: Crappy Boogaloo

Oshimos

It’s been almost two years since I almost-but-not-quite finished a screenshot LP of FE3 Book 1, and I’m back, this time for Book 2. If you’ve been waiting for the exciting conclusion to Book 1 (which, I’m sure you haven’t, since it was ages ago) then just picture Marth getting anticlimactically warped over to Medeus and poking him with the Falchion, and then get ready for a new, fun filled adventure, featuring new faces and conspicuously lacking in certain others.

Anyway, to make things more exciting, I’ve decided my first run should be a challenge run of sorts, so here are my rules:

1) I’m not gonna look anything up. I’ve never played Book 2 and only played the first half-ish of 12 years ago, so it’s mostly blind, excluding the fact that I have ambient knowledge of what goes on just from learning them second hand over the years, like how I need the star orb things and how you recruit the Bishop girls in the final chapter

2) Since playing through Binding Blade with only crappy units was so much more fun than playing regularly, I’m going to do the same here. Since I couldn’t find an actual tier-list, I’m going to use the characters who are ranked as worst of their class on the unit ratings on the SF page for Mystery of the Emblem, aka over here: http://serenesforest.net/mystery-of-the-emblem/characters/character-ratings/

This means I’ll be using: Marth, Midia, Ryan, Sheema, Yumina, Est, Warren, Elleran, Ricardo, Samson, Feena, Bantu, and Chainey.

I’m also going to allow myself to use the 4 units who can recruit the girls in the final chapter, aka Sirius, Merric, Minerva, and Julian, since I want to go for full recruitment and also I don’t really want to solo the first half of the game with just Marth and two bowmen.

3) Malliesia is legal until I get Yumina

Anyway, without further ado:

[spoiler=Chapter 1]

9265yrW.pngPCHOtdW.png

Here goes nothing

BOqlIfa.pngaaQbaA0.png

The game starts out with a little scrolly intro, but it’s hard to cap and really long. Essentially, the war from Book 1 is finally over and Hardin is Emperor of the World now.

ZPNAsQ2.png

More preamble. The war is over, Jeigan is too old to fight, and Sheeda and Marth got married.

Also, I had to use the old translation patch, since for some reason the new one absolutely refused to work for me this time around. So, sorry for the outdated names.

GnjS5T6.pngCkBn5p6.png8WxeAQm.png

I love that Hardin just sends Marth a letter. “Dear Marth, please go kill some bad guys, love Hardin, XOXOXO”

K1uP8xC.png

The chapter starts off with this guy bossing Marth and his army of nobodies around.

1VSSIDS.pngwv74fVs.png

He’s just your average friendly old man, nothing to see here

Ohzl0vP.png063nBqh.png

Anyway, here are the only two units I have that I’m allowed to use. Marth is pretty decent, since I’m pretty sure caps are all 20, but Ryan looks 12 years old and has the stats to match.

p4oInZc.pngZCnsSQw.pngNEYBuBl.png

I start off by trading Marth a sword that I don’t mind using up and then get to work on the first enemy. It’s a pretty standard bandit chapter, since plotwise the rebel army is already all but eliminated.

2gNrycX.png

More trading, since Gaggles won’t ever be seeing the light of day

1Z4XGke.png

The enemies pile up on top of me, but Marth has Lord magnetism and Ryan is completely helpless, so they conveniently don’t even bother trying to attack the guys I’m not using

0WJItSX.pngadJGzyV.png

Mopping up a few more bandits

VVmLwjQ.png

A whole bunch of thieves spawn from this cave, which is kind of weird, since there’s only one village and it’s across the map so it’s in no danger. I think they just want to feed you a bunch of free exp

RSb6LkQ.png

Marth gets the first level of the playthrough, and he doesn’t disappoint

YfZByqZ.png

I have him down a vulnerary and head to the village, since Marth is the only one who can visit in this game

psBAdxN.pngFj32EZ4.png

Malliessia get. I’ll be using her for like, two chapters

mIwMGGT.png

Ryan gets his first level, and it’s the same as Marth’s. Maybe there’s hope for him yet?

9ztmqnC.png

I pick up an extra iron bow, since I don’t want Ryan to run out. Marth can keep snagging swords off my cavs, so I didn’t bother buying anything else.

SEKAnTr.png

These guys don’t attack, they just kind of wander back and forth aimlessly

QQOZv4s.png

I wanted him to chip for Ryan, but Marth doubles and kills them

7qA1nja.pngPgqeUjP.png

Levels. They’re noticeably worse than the last ones.

hMbiegJ.pngw9LeAfe.pngjpYXI8N.png

When you get too close, Lawrence and Ogma pop up

YNOiKKw.pngyfGAQSp.png9r65Cwo.png

Lawrence tells Ogma to take the kids to safety, Yumina refuses to go and then… Lawrence just accepts that? She’s a 13 year old girl, Ogma could have just carried her away to safety without breaking a sweat and a lot of trouble could have been avoided.

fREnwLT.png

I’ve got Marth holding this fort, but Ryan can’t cross mountains, so it looks like the rest of the map is a Marth solo.

phrDAKJ.pngbwSzZNX.png

Marth hits levels 6 and 7 fighting off the orgy of bandits. At this rate, Marth is gonna hit 20 before I even get any star shards.

eDay0z9.pngYdRRNCE.png

Marth can Talk to Lawrence to end the chapter without having to fight him

kV1d5sK.png

The reason you don’t have to fight is because Lawrence spontaneously explodes, somehow. This isn’t explained in the slightest.

Vrsrp7q.pngprS7jGX.png

Marth seizes, and then the kids show up. They’re not too happy about the whole explosion business.

kFxux9y.pngTiyF98e.pngMsJgg4C.png

Marth tries to save the children, but Lang is a dick, so he refuses and sends Marth off to Minerva’s country, Macedonia, where she’s allegedly being held captive.

And… that’s it for Chapter 1! Hopefully things are more exciting and less infodumpy as things progress.

Here’s chapter 2, featuring my third fighting unit:

[spoiler=Chapter 2]

ZgVaDt8.png

Marth and co. are on the move already

oFFoH1h.png

Chapter 2 and we’re already fighting promoted enemies. Conveniently, they’re promoted enemies that I can hit for effective damage.

oO1VCAq.png

The crew. I’m glad they give you a preparations menu right away, instead of making you wait ages like in the GBA games

Su0O4n4.png

Suddenly Catria. She joins up before the start of turn one and is apparently one of the best units in the entire game, so she’s getting benched immediately.

riSlZNH.pngqfOpAzS.png

I move my squad over to the left while the enemy begins to charge me. Fortunately, the enemy wyvern knights spread out to the forts instead of attacking.

MvpaRD8.png9whGnyx.png

One of the houses has actual useful information instead of just complaining about being oppressed.

m3NxVel.pngmwMEkEP.png

Warren get

1s2D1ba.png

Here’s his stats. Pretty much all around better than Ryan, plus he’s got one more move and can actually pass through terrain. I like him.

c8ZCBDd.png

Warren’s first action as a member of my army is to do an about face and shoot his former squadmate in the face

L5BtoXT.png

Here’s the situation at this point. I’ve only got one unit who can attack at 1-range, but the forest should be enough to slow them down to a reasonable pace.

Also, that thief’s trying to run off with a Lady Sword and, uh, spoilers, but there’s no way to reasonably catch up with him with just Marth and two bow guys.

QmjGqFt.png

I pull out Marth’s Rapier to take on the Cavs and he kind of brutalizes them. Also, he’s got a unique attack animation with the Rapier, which I thought was pretty neat

1nlDCCk.png7tc5eyq.pngPOf1BxD.png

The cavs throw themselves upon Marth’s blade, and he picks up levels 8 and 9. Favouritism makes a unit stupidly good in a game with no diminishing exp gains.

jfqQrGo.png

Ryan picks up a chip level…

HSed7Gi.png4IO787W.pngWjmgSwi.png

Then I do some trade shenanigans to let Warren finish him off with the Steel Bow

3QbCRm5.png

Things are much more manageable now

KaX11Rt.png

…Kind of

vg8kAb9.pngud4ttMp.png

I clicked too fast and accidentally had them attack separate targets instead of focusing down one guy because I’m great at this game

1CjUwgY.png

All according to keikaku

FebzSRn.png

Warren gets his first level of the playthrough; Strength is always nice

NoLYAZV.png

Time for some dragon-baiting

hkbWJwm.pngJfGqAjk.png

I have no idea how you’d do this if you weren’t letting yourself use archers for whatever reason. These guys are such tanks that even after a round of combat with my super-Marth, I still need to break out the Steel Bow to take them out

AMHCppr.png

Apparently the boss moves. This caught me completely off guard, and I was really lucky that my archers were barely out of range.

LNqZpzh.png

He’s got bonkers defence and a Knight Killer, I’m sure this guy caused a lot of salty kids back in his day

CarPwIe.pngD9JtCDl.pngILLgH3S.pngs73lQgO.png

Ryan and Warren have to team up to take him down, and Warren gets another level that might as well just be Strength.

puBHHOq.pngnb5DZbI.png

Time to bait the last dragon

TKob8No.pngonTwyyJ.png

I wanted to feed the kill to Ryan, but I forgot that he sucks

eRqLJNK.pngN6VAJrs.png

And with that, we’re done

uJ6dmTZ.png

Inside the castle, we find yet another unit that won’t ever see the light of day

md0ZpRC.pngMJVAjNA.png

Also she gives me this thing; I guess it’s important or something

And… that’s Chapter 2 done. Thanks for reading, stay tuned for Chapter 3.