Terrorist attack in Nice, France

Excellen Browning

On july 14th, Bastille Day, 22:40 PM local time, a man driving a truck drove into the crowd watching the fireworks on the Promenade des Anglais. He drove through the crowd for about 2 kilometres before coming to a stop, after having been shot and killed by French police. Reportedly, 80 people are dead. Reportedly, an ID belonging to a French Tunisian(dual nationality), as well as guns and grenades, were found in the truck. It's currently unknown if the perpetrator is the person on the ID.

France, and by extension French-speaking Belgium, has seen numerous (islamist) terrorist attacks over the last few years. These include the january 2015 attacks on Charlie Hebdo offices, the attempted Thalys mass shooting in august 2015, the november 2015 Paris attacks and the march 2016 Brussels bombings.

As I believe this is relevant to know, Tunisia was a French territory from 1881 to 1957. As it stands, the perpetrator might have lived his whole life in France. Otherwise, Tunisia is one of the few democracies in the Islamic world and is well developed.

I will continue to update this OP with information as I see fit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/14/nice-bastille-day-france-attack-promenade-des-anglais-vehicle

Edited by Excellen Browning

Why is this not in the Serious Discussion section? Also for those who don't know, Nice is a place in France. The op is not sarcastically saying "nice attack."

On topic, it's pretty obvious that they will be seen as innocent and people will defend them. The only way people will understand is if they suffer from the cause, else there will be people who will scream racist and protect them until they get attacked. It is only then, when they are dead or near death, that they will understand that they have messed up. Of course, i'm not talking about those in France.

What I'm wondering is how France will deal with these terrorist attack , because it seems like it's been happening more and more these days.

Ban some religion? mainly those that seeks to "KILL" others? or will people complain that everyone should have freedom of religion, even those that treat other humans badly?

My primary aim for this thread is for it to be reaction and current news thread. Not a discussion thread like SD usually sees. I want to provide coverage of a European event and make it properly understandable to a largely American/not-western European audience.

I also edited the title to something more proper.

Why is this not in the Serious Discussion section? Also for those who don't know, Nice is a place in France. The op is not sarcastically saying "nice attack."

On topic, it's pretty obvious that they will be seen as innocent and people will defend them. The only way people will understand is if they suffer from the cause, else there will be people who will scream racist and protect them until they get attacked. It is only then, when they are dead or near death, that they will understand that they have messed up. Of course, i'm not talking about those in France.

What I'm wondering is how France will deal with these terrorist attack , because it seems like it's been happening more and more these days.

Ban some religion? mainly those that seeks to "KILL" others? or will people complain that everyone should have freedom of religion, even those that treat other humans badly?

I believe you should only have freedom of religion if you don't hurt anyone by being a part of that religion. In other words, if you're christian, Muslim, whatever, you keep things to yourselves. Don't go shooting people just because they don't believe in your own version of the fictional flying spaghetti monster. If religion can't exist without innocents dying then it simply has to leave.

I seriously hope no one is seriously defending mass murderers over "freedom of religion".

Edited by Dinar87

I believe you should only have freedom of religion if you don't hurt anyone by being a part of that religion. In other words, if you're christian, Muslim, whatever, you keep things to yourselves. Don't go shooting people just because they don't believe in your own version of the fictional flying spaghetti monster. If religion can't exist without innocents dying then it simply has to leave.

I seriously hope no one is seriously defending mass murderers over "freedom of religion".

I doubt anyone with a shred of sanity and compassion will file it under "freedom of religion".

However, you're walking a very fine line between expressing yourself and insulting others. I suggest that you think long and hard about how you word your next post in this thread.

My sincerest condolences to all the families and friends of the victims... As a Belgian myself this hits close at home yet again... No national holiday should be ruined with malice and hate. It saddens me deeply to observe attack after attack without any sign of it slowing down. Try to keep away from hate and fear and try to be tolerant towards other people, extremism is not bound to a single religion, race or gender... At least that is how I see it, and that's all I'm going to say since the "Code of Conduct" clearly states to keep away from controversial topics like race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. But I believe a call for tolerance, is suited in this case...

I doubt anyone with a shred of sanity and compassion will file it under "freedom of religion".

However, you're walking a very fine line between expressing yourself and insulting others. I suggest that you think long and hard about how you word your next post in this thread.

Fine. I'll just keep my thoughts to myself from now on.

Considering my half-sister is living in Nice, happens to be a Muslim originally from Tunisia, and that I've been in the vicinity of the attack area, this one hits quite close to home. Just horrible.

? Who do you mean will be seen as innocent?

You seem to be conflating Muslims with terrorists, which let me remind me you is the main target of groups like ISIS, they killed 250 Iraqi Muslims just the other week IIRC. It is likely that there was at least some Muslims killed in the crowd at Nice.

If you're referring to people like me saying that freedom of religion is important, then it is because I hold to the thought that you should not have to bend to terrorists fear, which is precisely what they want you to do. France's resolve has not been shaken in this regard. It is a problem with no easy solution, especially not one as unenforceable and draconian as 'ban a religion'.

I doubt most people would say that Islamic terrorism isn't horrible, but when you seem to use terrorist and the religion of Islam interchangeably, then I think you're not getting into 'racist' waters, but pretty poor justification.

Edited by Tryhard

France has a massive Muslim population. Any attack in France is going to damage Muslim communities as much as any other.

On the flip side, the attacks are more common in France precisely because it has a large Muslim population.

Please everyone, I mean for this topic to be a reaction topic, not a discussion. So even if you disagree with someone, or if they're plain wrong, please don't use this topic to react to them.

With no offense meant, then what's the point? For people to react to a horrible event by saying it's a horrible event? I thought that would be rather obvious. It's good that you're compiling information relating to it but I don't really see the point in 'no discussion'. Edited by Tryhard

It's France again... unfortunately.

No other European country suffered so much by terror attacks in the past years.

My condoleneces to all the families and friends of the victims.

Idk yet if it's noticeable that this attack happened just a few days after the European Championship had ended.

Edit: It's the good right of the OP just to make this topic to let this horrible event affect us.

Of course we look for the cause, let out our anger for the culprits.

However it can be still made as an own topic in Serious Discussion, maybe with a generalized title since it's not the first time that something like that happened in France.

As a topic to inform us, this topic is absolute fine and is in the right section.

That's from my side.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo