A little discussion about Nohr!Hard

DragonFlames

Hi, guys!

After more or less successfully clearing Birthright on Hard Mode, I am attempting to conquer Conquest (get it?) on Hard next. I made it past Chapter 10 with my low-man strategy and it worked semi-well with my current strategy setup. I wanted to ask you guys what you think of my idea and how I could improve/change it.

The thing I'm doing is: I always have my units paired up to block enemy Dual Strikes and I will leave one of the two units as pair-up fodder for the other, i.e. they won't get any EXP past Dual Guards. I may Master Seal them to give the lead unit better bonuses.

Here are the pairings I'm currently planning to go with. Lead unit will be named first.

+Str/-Lck Avatar + Great Lord!Selena (both will be trained)

Archer!Mozu + Lodestar!Silas

Camilla + Keaton (currently Beruka)

Leo + Felicia

Witch!Elise + Odin

Xander + Charlotte

I do plan on getting some of the kids and training them up. Kana and Velouria come to mind, but I'm not sure yet.

The units mentioned above will do most of the fighting. The rest of the team will either consist of children or filler units, which will be benched later on (like Effie and Arthur or Niles for example).

Anyway, for those of you who already cleared Conquest: Is this approach favorable? Or will I hit Rock Bottom soon enough and if so, how could I prevent it from happening?

Thank you guys in advance! :D

There are a few places in the game where it is helpful to unpair and have a large number of competent units to rush in and blitz with dual attacks (chapter 26 comes to mind in particular) but I'd never say it's necessary. You've chosen some strong units so as long as you raise them appropriately and their growths don't turn out wretched I would think you should be fine.

The only thing I find a bit worrying is that by sending Elise over to Witch you've ensured that you only have one pair capable of using staves, which could be a problem in some maps (staves are very helpful for breaking certain enemy formations). However, in many of those maps you may be able to deploy Jakob, Shura, Izana, Flora, or Forrest, so I imagine you'll probably be able to get away with it.

Effie is definitely worth keeping all the way to the end, especially paired up with Silas (or I imagine Benny but I benched him). On top of that I think you are fine not being paired up to take out small batches, just when you get specific chokepoints like the ninja cave pair up is definitely advised.

Also if possible you want Beruka to learn rally defence by then (chapter 17 I think)

One last thing is that you'll want to have somebody that can tank both a beastkiller and a couple of high level magic spells without too much hassle.

Full guard stance is mostly pointless in CQ outside of dedicated bots like harlot/making babies. It's mostly an EP thing and CQ is heavily PP based, that said guard stance still see's a lot of use situational, namely...

Sniping one guy on EP.

Sol!Percy/Draco Xander vs phys blobs.

Mono wep blobs vs WTA.

Midgame Camilia.

The swiss family vantagesorc's casual stroll through nhor.

Other notes, Elise may as well go wyven if you want her to be offensive, lit anything but Magik Knight!Elise@ch14 robe just dies in a stiff breeze.

Edited by joshcja

There are a few places in the game where it is helpful to unpair and have a large number of competent units to rush in and blitz with dual attacks (chapter 26 comes to mind in particular) but I'd never say it's necessary. You've chosen some strong units so as long as you raise them appropriately and their growths don't turn out wretched I would think you should be fine.

The only thing I find a bit worrying is that by sending Elise over to Witch you've ensured that you only have one pair capable of using staves, which could be a problem in some maps (staves are very helpful for breaking certain enemy formations). However, in many of those maps you may be able to deploy Jakob, Shura, Izana, Flora, or Forrest, so I imagine you'll probably be able to get away with it.

I am a little scared of their growths turning out badly, hence why I completely ignored Nyx, even though I normally like her as a character. I made Elise into a Witch to let her kill some of the sturdier units of Chapter 10 and 11, which worked wonders. I got by with Felicia with healing and I think I really will add Forrest to my team for healing purposes.

Effie is definitely worth keeping all the way to the end, especially paired up with Silas (or I imagine Benny but I benched him). On top of that I think you are fine not being paired up to take out small batches, just when you get specific chokepoints like the ninja cave pair up is definitely advised.

Also if possible you want Beruka to learn rally defence by then (chapter 17 I think)

One last thing is that you'll want to have somebody that can tank both a beastkiller and a couple of high level magic spells without too much hassle.

I really hope Selena and Camilla are good enough substitutes for Effie, since I benched her after Chapter 10 and she is now (Chapter 13) only at level 10, which is too low, sadly. Also, her growths got botched in her first few levels, sadly disqualifying her from further usage. She was pretty much my MVP when I first played on Normal, so I do hope I can get by without her.

In terms of Rally Defence: I plan on switching over Camilla to Wyvern Lord so she can get the skill, then back to Malig Knight.

For the Beastkiller and Magic Tank: I really hope Kana with a Dragon Stone or Selena with her naturally high defensive stats can do the trick. Although I did get Sophie just now (Mozu and Silas attained S-support after Chapter 12), so she may be an option for that as well, if I switch her out of her Cavalier tree and into something else.

Full guard stance is mostly pointless in CQ outside of dedicated bots like harlot/making babies. It's mostly an EP thing and CQ is heavily PP based, that said guard stance still see's a lot of use situational, namely...

Sniping one guy on EP.

Sol!Percy/Draco Xander vs phys blobs.

Mono wep blobs vs WTA.

Midgame Camilia.

The swiss family vantagesorc's casual stroll through nhor.

Other notes, Elise may as well go wyven if you want her to be offensive, lit anything but Magik Knight!Elise@ch14 robe just dies in a stiff breeze.

The constant-pair up saved my life several times now, especially in Chapter 12, where I killed Ryoma with a lucky crit after Dual Guard (thank you, Selena!), so I'll try to continue that way, since my playstyle mostly revolves around defensive play and forcing the enemy to make the first move. I guess I should change that, shouldn't I?

I did consider making Elise a Malig Knight once her level gets high enough, but I think Camilla should be good enough and Elise as a Witch just destroys everything even with the weakest of spells. Although it may patch up her shoddy defence a bit.

Thank you guys so much for your input so far!

I do still mull over the pairings, since I want to get Midori and Velouria, both of whom will be pretty much necessary, I think. I am considering dropping Selena in favour of one of these two or Sophie as my Avatar's wife to get the most out of Kana (+Str Velouria!Kana is supposed to be especially strong, or so I've heard), but I'm not really sure yet. Any suggestions on that front?

Edited by DragonFlames

I'd recommend bringing some people who can retaliate against ninjas on EP and some forged handaxes/javelins. They can really help in very Hoshido specific chapters. Guard stance is still really important, but you have to balance it well with attack stance for safer enemy phases at times.

I'd recommend bringing some people who can retaliate against ninjas on EP and some forged handaxes/javelins. They can really help in very Hoshido specific chapters. Guard stance is still really important, but you have to balance it well with attack stance for safer enemy phases at times.

Yup, got that taken care of! A friend of mine was kind enough to put his Shurikenbreaker Sophie into his castle. I just have to give her a Javelin and the Ninjas will be toast. And I've also still got Camilla and the Reverse Katana, so everything should be fine.

A small update concerning pairings/pair-up partners:

I have decided to drop Silas and Odin in favour of their daughters and use them whenever appropriate. So instead of Mozu and Elise doing all the work, Ophelia and Sophie will now get a share of their own.

I have also decided to pair Camilla with Kaze to boost her skill and speed (and I also expect Midori to be pretty strong).

I have also just now married my male Avatar to Selena. Kana will now have a bonus of +4 to her Defence and with the Nohrian Blade, she should be a good physical tank now. At least I hope so.

I have also decided to pair Camilla with Kaze to boost her skill and speed (and I also expect Midori to be pretty strong).

I have also just now married my male Avatar to Selena. Kana will now have a bonus of +4 to her Defence and with the Nohrian Blade, she should be a good physical tank now. At least I hope so.

mods mean nothing before the very end so you're thinking about it wrong. it's still only +3 from Nohrian blade. the thing with Kana is her personal Def Growth is bad (only better than Ophelia) and has average base Def before inheritance. she also has average base HP but abysmal personal HP growth (tied Elise and only better than... Azura and Soliel? didn't know Soleil's HP was that bad)

if you're stuck using Nohrian blade as well, then Kana's gonna have low dmg output considering her terrible base and poor growth and Selena's lackluster Str, too

mods mean nothing before the very end so you're thinking about it wrong. it's still only +3 from Nohrian blade. the thing with Kana is her personal Def Growth is bad (only better than Ophelia) and has average base Def before inheritance. she also has average base HP but abysmal personal HP growth (tied Elise and only better than... Azura and Soliel? didn't know Soleil's HP was that bad)

if you're stuck using Nohrian blade as well, then Kana's gonna have low dmg output considering her terrible base and poor growth and Selena's lackluster Str, too

So I made a mistake, basically. Good to know!

Thank you! :D

Starting over, I guess...