Camilla is Insane + More?

Michelaar

I'm referring more to the choice scene itself. Compare Corrin's actions in Birthright at the choice scene to Conquest. He gives noticeably less fucks about the Nohrian siblings in the scene than he does about the Hoshidan siblings in Birthrout. Based off Camilla's Birthrout actions, this CLEARLY had a massive negative impact on her

Isn't actually the opposite though? In the Birthright choice scene, Corrin even ask Xander to join him, where in the Conquest choice scene Ryoma brings up some very good reason to not side with Nohr and yet Corrin doesn't answer him.

Back on topic, while I wouldn't say Camilla is insane, she is a very mentally scarred person.

She is most likely one of the oldest of the bastard children, so she probably seen the worst of the "Concubine War". It's very likely thst she killed one of her sibilings.

Maybe after loosing so many sibilings, she decided to focus her affection on a single one that would be "safe to love".

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is my favorite character in fates if it helps.

First of, I love her character design as its so vibrant and edgy.

Second of all, of all the fliers that I tried to use, she is the best one I've ever used. Granted, Bows can easily kill her but really, that's just it.

And thirdly, unlike Ryoma who is ridiculously broken, you can't just summon Camilla to kill all units on the field and that's really what I love about conquest in general.

EDIT: As for the personality, I'll admit that its a bit creepy but in a good way. I mean its not like she's mental or anything cause if that were the case, she'd probably go as far as disobeying her father and just took my hand and ran off with me to some land where lovebirds always tend to end up.

Edited by Harvey

Mn, I actually like Camilla. Including her appearance, her personality and her as a unit.

In all actuality, I feel a distinct sense of empathy and sympathy for Camilla. Her childhood has to have been the hardest out of all the siblings considering the things she has had to go through growing up.

She had to allegedly kill her own siblings. Quite a few of them, if her support with Niles and Leo's support with Elise is of truth. From that, we can assume her own mother did not care for her because what true mother would readily sacrifice their own child's life for power/prestige/what-have-you? When one thinks of a mother, most would think of nurturing, kind and, yes, doting. Her own father would not hesitate to kill her. It seems she doesn't necessarily have loving feelings towards him; fear and perhaps wariness is a prominent one that can be taken out of her dialogue and actions throughout the games.

If one were to take all of this into account, it would make sense that Camilla has the obsessive, possessive and warped sense of love that she does. As a matter of fact, Camillia would probably have something called Attachment Disorder. She would also have Borderline Personality Disorder.

I feel for her.

But, then again, Camilla is a fictional character so you're free to feel about her anyway you want so... Yeah.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Speaking of Camilla's past, I remember the Halloween Scramble conversation between Camilla and Azura, had a part where the two talk about seeing each looking miserable during a Nohrian ball in their childhood.

Seems like neither Camilla or Azura enjoyed the Nohrian court.

In fiction, cradling the body of the person you kill happens all the time. Corrin would probably have tried out that trope too if IS would have allowed him to get his hands dirty.

It doesn't change the fact that in fiction, when that happens, those types of characters are typically looked at as very unstable.

(barring alternative forms of the cliche where, say, a character shields another character from an attack, gets killed, and is cradled in the arms of the person they died to protect)

I like Camilla quite a bit. While I'm not sure about "insane", she is clearly mentally unstable and I like how her behaviour, particularly her relationships with her three younger siblings, is explained so neatly by her backstory. One of the strengths of Fates' writing (I know, there aren't that many, but shhh) is it examines how several of its characters are scarred by past abuse and trauma, and Camilla is one of the good examples of that. That she has some positive traits mixed in there as well is just a nice bonus; I do admire her strength and confidence even (especially?) though it's mixed in with her scary, violent and possessive side.

''If you survive long enough to make it all the way here, I will do what I must and pierce your body with my blade, then cradle you in my arms, just as I did when you were a child''

And I do love this line. It is filled with raw emotion, and communicates the character's current emotional state so simply and effectively (and chillingly). I remember when my partner got to this part of Birthright (she played it before me) she put the 3DS down and expressed and impressed shock at it.

I'm referring more to the choice scene itself. Compare Corrin's actions in Birthright at the choice scene to Conquest. He gives noticeably less fucks about the Nohrian siblings in the scene than he does about the Hoshidan siblings in Birthrout. Based off Camilla's Birthrout actions, this CLEARLY had a massive negative impact on her

Corrin sounds like he gives approximately the same amount of fucks regardless of whether he picks Nohr and Hoshido. And you can make this argument for Takumi on Nohr path, too, so I don't see your point here.

I also highly dislike Camilla, both because I dislike her personality type and because she's wasted potential as a character.

Edited by Sunwoo

I hate to be nit picky(because I'm usually not) but Camilla survives at the end of Birthright

Ouch... I guess my bad chosed words betrayed me once more.

I know she doesn't die in the story unfortunately;

I just meant defeating her as a boss.

It angers me even more that the two characters of Nohr die I actually like the most.

I mean who wants to see Elise dying, the sibling of Nohr's royality who turns her back on the plans of her father first?

I like Camilla if it wasn't obvious enough lol. I don't think she's insane but I do think that she is very scarred by her past. How she acts now is most likely how she became in order to survive and protect her younger siblings.

Edited by Avarice_Shadow

My personal headline, is that Camilla is secretly super fucked up in the head. She needs to go to a mental institution seriously. Just see what shit she says in Birthright chapter 13. Who agrees? Also, do you think there is someting more going on with Camilla? She is like.... so mental. To think I once liked camilla, too.

Secretly? She can't function without Corrin or someone else to pamper; she cracks when people don't rely on her, and she's so afraid of people leaving her that she threatens to break Severa's legs so she can't return home. She's fine with carnage and slaughter and even takes the time to hit on Hinoka as she helps invading Hoshido right after a battle.

Insane? Maybe not, like BrightBow said. "Super fucked in the head"? Absolutely.

I like Camilla if it wasn't obvious enough lol. I don't think she's insane but I do think that she is very scarred by her past. How she acts now is most likely how she became in order to survive and protect her younger siblings,

Nothing says wanting to protect one's siblings as pestering one of them into marriage.

Edited by Thane

She's the main reason why I sympathize Hoshido.

I hate her appearance and her personality.

The support with the avatar is just creepy.

Killing her is one of the most satisfying moments in Birthright for me.

Unitwise she's very good, no question.

That's pretty much how I feel about Takumi (except for the support thingie.), only for Conquest.

On topic: As was already pointed out: It is very surprising Xander, Leo and Elise are relatively normal compared to Camilla, considering how effed up their childhoods were.

She's a yandere so yeah it's not surprising that she's mentally unstable.

She doesn't seem to have a problem about killing people to make the avatar happy or to kill him and herself if he were to go "somewhere far away" according to skinship and she doesn't seem to care that Iago and Hans killed innocent people (but if they try to hurt her precious Corrin, it's not cool!).

She's also creepy towards other characters like Severa, Hinoka and slightly with Keaton.

I can understand why she dotes on Corrin but why doesn't she do the same towards her other siblings?

The other sibling who seems to get the same affection is Elise on Birthright and that's it.

Edited by Thunderstar

I haven't read many of the supports where you find out about her backstory, all I know is that she had a terrible relationship with her own mother.

From what I've seen in fiction, good parents are most likely to been raise by terrible parents because they don't want their children to go through what they did. If that's the case, why act so creepily-motherly towards Corrin? Is it because she know they're not blood relative that she can get away with it?

I really like Camilla as a unit, but as a character she had potentially however I'm just not into the creepy-over obsessive type. At least with Tharja it can easily be played out as the creepy girl with the High School crush on the Avatar, but the fact that Camilla and Corrin were raised as siblings is just wrong to me.

That's pretty much how I feel about Takumi (except for the support thingie.), only for Conquest.

Tbf I dont like Takumi much either. Most of his supports annoy me but at least he's not as creepy as her.

At least with Tharja it can easily be played out as the creepy girl with the High School crush on the Avatar, but the fact that Camilla and Corrin were raised as siblings is just wrong to me.

I agree so much.

I actually like her. I personally like psycho characters. Not only here, but on other games/shows/anime/movies. Ye can call me crazy, but I really find 'em entertaining.

No one is going to call you crazy for liking a relatively popular character trait.

Personally I can't stand Camilla because she's not "crazy" done right; she's not entertaining or even necessarily creepy on her own, rather the scary thing is how people seem fine with her being the way she is. I just don't know what she's supposed to be and I'm not sure the game knows either.

Edited by Thane

She's not that crazy to me, somewhat like Niles, a bit sadic. The mental thing about her it's the really exaggerated obsession with Corrin, it's seriously too much and it gets creepy.

Still better than Peri tho, she's really too much of a psycho imo.

I honestly feel a fair amount of empathy and sympathy for the situation that Camilla, and by extension the entire Nohrian Family, are in, and as a result, I do like her character.

Looking at Camilla's past, we have an individual who likely had to kill a large amount of her extended family on the whims of her mother, who treated her daughter as little more than a tool to further her own prestige in the eyes of Garon. Some people, myself included, head-canon that Camilla killed her own mother at some point during the Concubine Wars. Yeah, her mother was not a good mother, but parricide (the act of slaying one's own parents) is likely not good for one's mental health. As a result of all this carnage, she is fanatically devoted to protecting and caring for her remaining family, though the scars of the bloodshed that she has both caused and been witness to prevents her from getting as close as she wants to. This is why, in my view, she tries to be so close to Corrin. She sees them as an outsider, one who will never try and betray her like so many have. This is why she snaps so badly in Birthright. Corrin may express regrets behind the scenes of betraying their Nohrian Family, but most of the time since chapter 6 when Corrin encounters them, Corrin just comes off as not caring about what he/she has done to them. For Camilla, this is the one person who she thought she could get away with showing affection and trust, more than she could show her other half-siblings, and now that person is spitting on her and all she holds dear, and Camilla just simply can't deal with the powerful, conflicting emotions crossing her psyche. Even in Conquest, she is torn between trying to help Corrin, and keeping to her father's orders, knowing full well after 20+ years of living under his roof what happens to those who disappoint him.

But no matter what happens, she will try to keep up a confident image for the rest of her family, as to her, all that she has left are her retainers, Xander, Leo, Corrin and Elise.

TLDR: She is one slip away from being broken mentally. If the wrong person leaves her or betrays her, she will snap, never to be whole again. I empathize and sympathize with characters like her.

I could do without her armor design though. Seriously? Who thought that boob window armor of that degree and battle panties were appropriate for the fields of war?

Edited by warchiefwilliams

I'll give her this: Camilla is the most interesting of the Nohrian siblings. Of course, she doesn't get any character development, and her issues are played for laughs, but I certainly think she's better than Obergruppenfuhrer Xander. Of course, good in Fates is still bad. In a better written game she would have a major character arc based around overcoming these issues. I will say that threatening to torture and kill people who hurt her loved ones isn't necessarily insane, and it's more mama bear behavior. Unit wise, she's probably the best pre promote in the series; she's somewhat Fate's Oifaye.

I'll give her this: Camilla is the most interesting of the Nohrian siblings. Of course, she doesn't get any character development, and her issues are played for laughs, but I certainly think she's better than Obergruppenfuhrer Xander. Of course, good in Fates is still bad. In a better written game she would have a major character arc based around overcoming these issues. I will say that threatening to torture and kill people who hurt her loved ones isn't necessarily insane, and it's more mama bear behavior. Unit wise, she's probably the best pre promote in the series; she's somewhat Fate's Oifaye.

This. Instead of giving us needless filler about how our ship is under attack by pirates and how we are just pissing around before getting to Hoshido, give us an arc in Conquest about the Nohrian Family's hidden daemons. Every single one of them have something gnawing away at their soul like a skaven slave with a bone, an arc delving into this would help to both develop the Nohrian characters and to make us as players more attached to them.

EDIT: I noticed that a lot of character's issues in this game are played for laughs. We are supposed to find Peri's servant genocide as quirky, though it speaks to deep problems mentally that any sane person would be concerned about enough to section her. We are supposed to find Niles's sadism/masochism quirky as well, but the way he describes himself in his supports with Leo, it speaks of much deeper scars on his psyche that really should be addressed rather than be glossed over.

Edited by warchiefwilliams

Niles being sadistic because he was mistreated, Peri killing people who do the same job as the killer of her mother, these things obviously make the character, but honestly they shouldn't be even considered an excuse for their actions, for the game I get it, but I read people who are seriously convinced that these characters are poor victims. And all of that applies to Camilla, too, she might have a bad past and whatever, that doesn't excuse the fact that she inflicts pain for her enjoyment.

That being said I don't think that's a predominant factor in her character, the aspects that I get more from her are that big sister vibe and all the sexual references in her behavior (and appearence).

In the end I like the way Fates built the past of the characters (not necessarily how it overcomes said past), but when it gets to some point, you should be able to separate the game from ethics and real life.

Edited by jonson

But, at the end of the day, talking about this merely highlights how a lot of Fates suffers from missed opportunities. I still enjoyed Fates and its characters for what it was despite the numerous grievances I have with it and I can only hope and pray with bated breath that IS has taken the fans' response into consideration.

Also, just to clear up any misunderstandings, just because I empathize and sympathize with Camilla doesn't mean I automatically brush away any wrongdoings she has done. I just don't find it necessary to constantly point out something that should be understood by all—that is, a sob story doesn't excuse the actions a person takes in their life. They may explain them but they certainly to not excuse them, same for fiction as it is with reality apparently. /rant over

I think we can all agree that Camilla was created with too much fan service in mind. However, I do think her character is better than many of the others in Fates. Mentally unstable, no doubt about that. Tragic backstory, heck yes! Is she a good person? Not really, although she has redeemable qualities. Etc, etc. I like Camilla, and I like all of the Nohrian siblings. The only Hoshidan sibling I like is Sakura, I feel like the rest of them are rather dull/annoying.

Anyway, at the end of the day, Fates has interesting ideas and terrible writing.

Also, Tharja is literally a worse person than Camilla. How can you even argue that?!